Sports Illustrated rankings of NFL owners

Kentucky Jet

17. Woody Johnson, Jets

To Johnson's credit, he tries hard and seems to have scored with last year's hiring of Eric Mangini as coach. But Johnson's peers don't believe he's especially deft when it comes to high-level business maneuvers. Though his joint deal with the Giants on the new stadium in Jersey is a 50-50 proposition on paper, many NFL insiders think he got played. "Because it's in Giants' country, the Jets will still be second-class citizens there," says one owner. "He should've figured out how to do a Westside stadium. It's New York -- you could get people to build one out there."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/michael_silver/06/27/ownerrankings/index.html

17. Woody Johnson, Jets

To Johnson's credit, he tries hard and seems to have scored with last year's hiring of Eric Mangini as coach. But Johnson's peers don't believe he's especially deft when it comes to high-level business maneuvers. Though his joint deal with the Giants on the new stadium in Jersey is a 50-50 proposition on paper, many NFL insiders think he got played. "Because it's in Giants' country, the Jets will still be second-class citizens there," says one owner. "He should've figured out how to do a Westside stadium. It's New York -- you could get people to build one out there."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/michael_silver/06/27/ownerrankings/index.html

I saw this article on a different site. Rather than post something I cannot comment on.....

I'll just say this:

I think it's funny that sports writers for SI, are now using the term "got played". What's next?

"This year, the underrated Jets are in fact 'the Shiit'. Few reporters knew just how 'tight' they were going to be, but this season is looking promising for NY fans... 'for shizzle'".

You can blame him for other things but how can you blame Johnson for not getting a Westside stadium?

UM....he is worth billions maybe.

There is no reason the Jets should not have their own stadium. None.

Kraft ponied up 80% of the cost of his stadium and is in the process of building the surrounding area to make it an entertainment complex and make his money back plus alot more. Not, just an event for 10 home games, practices and a few other events.

I realize Foxboro is not NY, but there is no reason a billionaire cannot make it work.

UM....he is worth billions maybe.

There is no reason the Jets should not have their own stadium. None.

Kraft ponied up 80% of the cost of his stadium and is in the process of building the surrounding area to make it an entertainment complex and make his money back plus alot more. Not, just an event for 10 home games, practices and a few other events.

I realize Foxboro is not NY, but there is no reason a billionaire cannot make it work.

You do not live in NY so there is no way for you to know the political, environmental and special interest groups to contend with- I stand by my comment.

You do not live in NY so there is no way for you to know the political, environmental and special interest groups to contend with- I stand by my comment.

Faba I agree to a point.

However, he is a billionaire. I agree it would not be easy, but if he was willing to invest 'his' money he could get it done.

I believe the total cost of the stadium was going to be 1.2 billion,which is a lot of money for a billionaire,and that total was before any building work had begun.

Which would all be a waste of money, moving to a crime ridden, run down, trashy area.

I believe the total cost of the stadium was going to be 1.2 billion,which is a lot of money for a billionaire,and that total was before any building work had begun.

True.

Then he could do something like this to make his money back:

http://www.patriot-place.com/

Only difference, it could 100x more relevant seeing it would be in NY. The ceiling for this could be limitless.

I am not saying it would be easy.

No, you're just talking straight out of your ass about a situation you know nothing about. He had no shot of building that stadium on the Westside, none. Even if he shelled everything out of pocket, had had about a 1% chance. That area has been rundown railroads for years. The people that live near there fight tooth and nail against any proposition of building anything there that brings tourists, undesirables, traffic, or blocks their panoramic view from their apartments. He could have done it in Queens, much to the delight of The Dooshsprayer, but the fact is Queens is incredibly difficult to get to and is a rundown dump for the most part. Building in Queens sequesters the team to the Queens/LI fanbase alone. People from Jersey would never want to drive there, and people from Manhattan know better than to get stuck on a train/subway in those areas. It's a stupid business move.

Quite frankly, Woody's cheapest option would have been to lobby to move the team to LA, but he thankfully didn't. I don't like sharing a stadium with the Giants, but he didn't have much of an alternative.

No, you're just talking straight out of your ass about a situation you know nothing about. He had no shot of building that stadium on the Westside, none. Even if he shelled everything out of pocket, had had about a 1% chance. That area has been rundown railroads for years. The people that live near there fight tooth and nail against any proposition of building anything there that brings tourists, undesirables, traffic, or blocks their panoramic view from their apartments. He could have done it in Queens, much to the delight of The Dooshsprayer, but the fact is Queens is incredibly difficult to get to and is a rundown dump for the most part. Building in Queens sequesters the team to the Queens/LI fanbase alone. People from Jersey would never want to drive there, and people from Manhattan know better than to get stuck on a train/subway in those areas. It's a stupid business move.

Quite frankly, Woody's cheapest option would have been to lobby to move the team to LA, but he thankfully didn't. I don't like sharing a stadium with the Giants, but he didn't have much of an alternative.

Boozer is right on with this.

I agree 100% there is no way New York was going to help the Jets build a Stadium of their own, the City doesn't even really consider the Jets a New York team. The Jets are like the Red headed Step children of New York. If it wasn't for the Giants, the Jets would be playing their games on a soft-ball field in the park. ;)

I agree 100% there is no way New York was going to help the Jets build a Stadium of their own, the City doesn't even really consider the Jets a New York team. The Jets are like the Red headed Step children of New York. If it wasn't for the Giants, the Jets would be playing their games on a soft-ball field in the park. ;)

Still stroking that hard on for the Jets and their fans huh?

1) Exactly right on the Westside. There was just too much opposition (funded by the Dolan's protecting their MSG turf and an imbecilic political sytem that allows one man (Sheldon Silver) have the right to disapprove the project.

2) Queens is not a rundown dump. Like any large area (NJ, Westchester, Ct.), there are good parts and bad parts. Come to Northeast Queens and take a look around, you just may be surprised to see how nice the neighborhoods are in North Flushing, Whitestone, Bayside, Douglaston etc. The area by the stadium would have been industrial like many other stadium locations.

3) There is no problem in riding trains right to the stadium, there is no area that the #7 train goeas through that would be a problem. Thousands of people commute into Manhattan on the same train every day. Nobody is getting stuck anywhere.

4) People from Jersey wouldn't want to drive there? What about all of the fans who drive from Queens and Long Island to the Meadowlands for every game? How is that different? There may be reasons why Queens is not optimal (like any of the other locations) but the reasons that you gave are not factually correct.

For the first time in a really, really long time as a jets fan, I can honestly say I don't spend any time whatsoever being jealous of any other team's owner, front office or coaching staff. And patsie fans, don't tell me how wonderful your nose picking owner is or how great a coach mumbles is, you can have them. No argument here.

1) Exactly right on the Westside. There was just too much opposition (funded by the Dolan's protecting their MSG turf and an imbecilic political sytem that allows one man (Sheldon Silver) have the right to disapprove the project.

2) Queens is not a rundown dump. Like any large area (NJ, Westchester, Ct.), there are good parts and bad parts. Come to Northeast Queens and take a look around, you just may be surprised to see how nice the neighborhoods are in North Flushing, Whitestone, Bayside, Douglaston etc. The area by the stadium would have been industrial like many other stadium locations.

3) There is no problem in riding trains right to the stadium, there is no area that the #7 train goeas through that would be a problem. Thousands of people commute into Manhattan on the same train every day. Nobody is getting stuck anywhere.

4) People from Jersey wouldn't want to drive there? What about all of the fans who drive from Queens and Long Island to the Meadowlands for every game? How is that different? There may be reasons why Queens is not optimal (like any of the other locations) but the reasons that you gave are not factually correct.

Or us from CT who would like to take a train into the City in the morning and make a day out of watching the game...

Oh well... hopefully they solve some traffic issues with the new stadium so I dont spend more time in traffic than I do watching the game...

Dammit Booz why do you have to ruin my fun?

New Yorkers are pretty dumb when it comes to something like this. If people actually saw where most of their tax money goes, they'd gladly can the $3M pidgeon research projects and the bloated salaries many administrative support people get from the city and put that into a Westside Stadium that could help jumpstart New York's economy. But I guess we have wall street, so we don't really care about the common person in NY.

Speaking of the stadium, one of the arguments was that the land could be used for better projects and the Jets weren't paying enough for it. Okay, so what exactly is the land being used for now, and who was it sold to, and for what price? My suspicion is that it was a complete bull**** argument, since I never heard anything afterwards and you'd think that'd be important since so many people swore up and down on it.

2) I'm sure there's some nice areas of Queens, but the bottom line is the location of where the stadium would be is not. There is a rather large area where people are quite frankly not going to want to get out of their cars. The area around the meadowlands may not be beautiful, but it is perfectly safe.

3) Fair enough, I don't ride the #7 often so I won't argue this.

4) There are far more people in NJ and conveniently adjacent areas such as Manhattan, PA, and the State of NY that can and will go to games than there are on Long Island/Queens, plain and simple. Having a team in Queens caters solely to Queens, LI, and manhattan. Having the team in NJ caters to most of NJ, some PA and NY state, as well as Manhattan.

From a business standpoint alone, the Meadowlands gives them a much wider range of potential "customers" than Queens does. The downside is most of the original fans are from Queens/LI, and you are definitely slapping them in the face a bit by not exploring that area. But the Jets are going to have a much larger opportunity to reach a larger fanbase in the Meadowlands.

Not at all, Jet fans are the most rational and most knowlegable football fans there are.:baby:

And Pats fans for the most part are still loudmouth douche bags who live way too vicariously through the teams they root for.

I got to give credit where its due though, your team hasn't done **** for a couple of years and you're still around......albeit a lot less than when the team was winning.

Of course its the off season and everyone is undefeated.

And Pats fans for the most part are still loudmouth douche bags who live way too vicariously through the teams they root for.

I got to give credit where its due though, your team hasn't done **** for a couple of years and you're still around......albeit a lot less than when the team was winning.

Of course its the off season and everyone is undefeated.

They haven't???? Really????? :confused: and here all this time I thought they won the AFC EAST the last two years, and won a three play-off games, while last year getting to within a first down of yet another Super Bowl. Heck if I was Jet fan that would be enough to keep me going for the next decade, "thats ten years, by the way", after all arn't there a ton of Jet fans still running around wetting themselves over a three way 9-7 tie to win the divison a few years back? :baby:

Archived