Top 5 players at each position

flgreen

Top-5 Players At Each PositionJuly 8th, 2007 by Dan Walsh

Pete Prisco of CBS Sportsline let out a list of who he believes are the top-5 players at each position in the NFL. The New York Jets have 3 players in the list, 2 defensive players and one offensive.

1. Olin Kreutz, Chicago

2. Nick Mangold, N.Y. Jets
: In his rookie season, he showed why he will be a perennial Pro Bowl player.

1. Brian Urlacher, Chicago

2. Jonathan Vilma, N.Y. Jets
: He was supposed to be hurt by the Jets

I'm glad we took Thomas over Reed along time ago. ;)

Yeah, that 28 year old fossil Reed is ready to be put out to pasture. ;)

Seriously, taking Thomas over Reed no longer is one of the worst picks in draft history. Funny how with some guys you really have to wait a few years before final judgement.

Yeah, that 28 year old fossil Reed is ready to be put out to pasture. ;)

Seriously, taking Thomas over Reed no longer is one of the worst picks in draft history. Funny how with some guys you really have to wait a few years before final judgement.

That's because Football (maybe not to the same extent as baseball) takes a while for players to develop. Some players are quick bloomers (i.e. Ben Roethlesberger/Alex Rodriguez)

I love when people bash these guys... if your such football gurus get paid for your material...otherwise show some respect to these guys who work hard at their job.

They are getting PAID for their football knowledge... you guys are enjoying a collective "they dont know ****" circle jerk on JN...

No matter how wrong they might be and how right you might be... the writer wins...

(that said... Vilma is not the 2nd best LB... and I love Vilma) :lol:

I love when people bash these guys... if your such football gurus get paid for your material...otherwise show some respect to these guys who work hard at their job.

They are getting PAID for their football knowledge... you guys are enjoying a collective "they dont know ****" circle jerk on JN...

No matter how wrong they might be and how right you might be... the writer wins...

(that said... Vilma is not the 2nd best LB... and I love Vilma) :lol:

Way to contradict yourself, dumbass. :lol:

Plain and simple... Vilma deserves to be in the top 5 LB's as much as Chad P deserves to be in the toop 5 QB's...

You know this is serious coming from me... lol... and Im a Vilma homer too!

Fred Taylor might be one of the most under-rated running backs in the past 20 years, but he is not currently top five material.

Taylor is hurt too often to be considered up there-with all his talent and all he's only had 2 seasons that he hasn't missed any games-in the other 7 years he's missed 32

Taylor is hurt too often to be considered up there-with all his talent and all he's only had 2 seasons that he hasn't missed any games-in the other 7 years he's missed 32

Sounds like Steve Smith to me. The guy's still great.

Taylor is still an underrated RB. 4.6ypc is average for his career; the same as a "future HOF'er" was at his very best. I can't think of too many 2000-carry guys in NFL history with a gaudy # higher than that (Brown, Barry, OJ, & Tiki are all I come up with). But yeah, he gets hurt too much & always did.

Sounds like Steve Smith to me. The guy's still great.

Taylor is still an underrated RB. 4.6ypc is average for his career; the same as a "future HOF'er" was at his very best. I can't think of too many 2000-carry guys in NFL history with a gaudy # higher than that (Brown, Barry, OJ, & Tiki are all I come up with). But yeah, he gets hurt too much & always did.

and that fact is what will prolly keep him out of the HOF,even though he's less than 500 yards short of 10,000-great player but not durable-kinda like a certain diminutive WR we drafted a few years back

and that fact is what will prolly keep him out of the HOF,even though he's less than 500 yards short of 10,000-great player but not durable-kinda like a certain diminutive WR we drafted a few years back

When a guy with his talent has never made a single pro-bowl, you start to realize what an idiotic popularity contest it is. At least these 2 times he got totally snubbed:

1998:

Curtis Martin: 1287 yds; 3.5ypc, 8 td's, 8 100-yd games out of 15

Fred Taylor: 1223 yds; 4.6ypc, 14 td's, 7 100-yd games out of 14 (James Stewart was the starter the first 2 weeks until he got hurt 1 carry into week 3)

2000:

Eddie George: 1509 yds, 3.7ypc, 14 td's, 6 100-yd games out of 16 games; pro-bowl

Fred Taylor: 1399 yds, 4.8ypc, 13 td's, 9 (consecutive) 100-yd games out of 13; no pro-bowl

A couple other times he had very good seasons (2002 & 2003) but there were legitimately 3 other guys who were even better. I wouldn't say he's a HOF player, b/c he was just too unreliable with his injuries. But when healthy, he was a deadly-dangerous player & also averaged well over 5 ypc in the playoffs.

When a guy with his talent has never made a single pro-bowl, you start to realize what an idiotic popularity contest it is. At least these 2 times he got totally snubbed:

1998:

Fred Taylor: 1223 yds; 4.6ypc, 14 td's, 7 100-yd games out of 14 (James Stewart was the starter the first 2 weeks until he got hurt 1 carry into week 3)

2000:

Eddie George: 1509 yds, 3.7ypc, 14 td's, 6 100-yd games out of 16 games; pro-bowl

Fred Taylor: 1399 yds, 4.8ypc, 13 td's, 9 (consecutive) 100-yd games out of 13; no pro-bowl

A couple other times he had very good seasons (2002 & 2003) but there were legitimately 3 other guys who were even better. I wouldn't say he's a HOF player, b/c he was just too unreliable with his injuries. But when healthy, he was a deadly-dangerous player & also averaged well over 5 ypc in the playoffs.

I wouldn't call those huge snubs. In both cases he had less yards than the back in front of thim. Most people, i believe, do not look to deeply into the numbers, they see yards gained, TD, and weather or not they like the guy. Of course its not a perfect system, but the day they give RB's a certain type of QB rating, it will probably be a worse system.

I wouldn't call those huge snubs. In both cases he had less yards than the back in front of thim. Most people, i believe, do not look to deeply into the numbers, they see yards gained, TD, and weather or not they like the guy. Of course its not a perfect system, but the day they give RB's a certain type of QB rating, it will probably be a worse system.

They were huge snubs. If it was a Jet we'd all have been screaming bloody murder.

1998:

2000:

the Pro Bowl is and always has been a farce

Archived