2007 NYJ Breakout Players

Smizzy

Eric Coleman, tackles will be way up, i say around 4 picks (people trying to stay away from rhodes will get coleman more chances), he'll show what he showed us in 04

Leon Washington. My #1 jet. Gang green will known for its 'two headed' RB, leon will only get around 6 TD's but he'll be sniffing 1500 all purpose yards.

Off : Chad Pennington

It's not a classic breakout like Jerrico Cotchery last year,but I think Chad is going to have his best year since 2002.A year under his belt in this system and his arm should be stronger without an offseason filled with rehab.I can't see any young player on our offense breaking one of our average veteran players having a career year.

Def : Dewayne Robertson

He's becoming one of the most versatile linemen in the league.He has to rely on his technique instead of his size to play the 3-4 but you have the added advantage of getting more out of your nose tackle in the passing game.

He gave some of the best centres in the league a lot of problems last year,with a year under his belt in the 3-4,I think we can expect a good year from Robertson.

Off- Chad Pennington. We all know Chad can play, but this is the year where Chad has a BREAK OUT Season. The addition of Thomas Jones with Leon in the backfield is only going to make the play-action pass that more affective. He has had a full year to actually practice, work-out, play some snaps in the pre-season the whole 9. If he stays healthy look for Chad 2 be a pro-bowl QB. Last year he found another "Go 2 WR" In Jericho and we already know what Chad has in Coles.

Last year he was Quarterbacking behind an Offensive line with 2 rookies in Brick and Mangold (Look for both to improve upon thier rookie season)

Last year Chad was playing in a whole new system and still managed to win some games with a rookie Head Coach in Mangini, and playing with a new OC in Marty's boy.

Last year Chad helped this Jets team go to the playoffs with running backs such as Barlow and Blaylock and then later on Houston and Leon. This year we will be going with Thomas Jones and Leon Washington. A Solid backfield.

Def- J.Vilma. I'm looking for Vilma to have a big season for this Jets Defense. The addition of Harris should really free Vilma to make some big plays. Last year he had 2 learn the 3-4 D, he hit a learning curve, but still put up some of the best numers for a Jets defensive starter. With Robertson in his 2nd season as the NT for this D, and Kimo off of the D-Line, I feel Vilma just may be that Pro Bowl type player once again.

"O"..............Pennington..........For all the reasons listed above. Now has a running game. I hope.

Great play action. Year without rehab

"D".............B. Thomas. Thomas seems to have found his place as a 3-4 outside LB.

Last season Kimo was bad. Single blocked on almost every play. DL in the 3-4 should be eating up blockers so the LB's can make plays. Thomas was picking up doubles way to much, and still had a decent season.

I believe that Coleman will be an excellent 3-4 DE, who requires doubles all the time. If Thomas has room to roam I think he will be an impact player this season.

Offense: Jerricho Cotchery I see him making the big jump next year. Pennington's greatest asset is his playfake, which best helps those possession receivers who can go to the right spot when the QB audibles on the line. With a true quality rb, there will be more chances for Cotchery find that spot between the linebackers and the safeties in middle of the field, and behind the corners on the sidelines.

Defense: Vilma It is easy to forget he led the team in tackles last year. Imagine if the other guys around him were doing their jobs and reaking havoc on the o-line. He would have more space to run around the field and go sideline to sideline. Another thing that he does great is pass protect. He is one of the best LB's in the league in that department. With more familiarity with the 3-4 we will improve our lowly 25 sack total from last year, put more pressure on the QB, and Vilma will be affected with more sacks, FF's, and perhaps a few INT's.

[quote name='

Defense: Kenyon Coleman - I think this guy will be a beast in NY and will certainly help improve D-Rob's play.[/quote']

I'm inclined to agree with you. Coleman may be the key to the DL.

Clearly Parcells liked him. He wouldn't be here if he didn't. The guys that were called "Bill's Boys", and followed him from team to team. Were always hard working, productive players. I have no reason to think Coleman isn't.

He has shown in Dallas that he has a bit of a pass rush, and is very tough inside. If he can play that roll, on a full time basis for the Jets, it will improve the play of both D. Rob and Thomas.

Lets see if he can. They paid him like they think he can

The right answer is...

Off: Justin McCareins

With his height, speed, hands, and strength, he's always had the potential to be an elite WR. Although that potential has yet to yield results, you can tell that J-Mac has bought into Mangini's system of the best player plays. He has spent a lot of time this offseason in the weight room and on the field and is focused and ready for the training camp compettition. Although many people have already ruled him out, I say he is in the battle for the #3 spot and may even challenge Cotchery/Coles a little for a starting spot.

Def: Victor Hobson

With FA signee K. Coleman, a D.E. weighing just about 295 lbs, combined with the weight D-Rob has put on and an improved secondary, look for Hobson to be able to play a big part in run support.

Offense: Brian Schottenheimer - He now has the tools he needs to assemble a well executed offensive force, capable of producing points in numerous fashions. Enjoy Jets fans, lil' Schotty, perhaps, breaks away after this next season.

Defense: See the Sig; nuff said...

Offense-I'm going to go with J-Mac, he been working very hard in the off-season and hopefully it pays off during the regular season.

Defense-I'm going to go with D-Rob, he'll make the probowl this season for the first time.

Archived