Wadsworth- Burning desire

Kentucky Jet

Burning Desire

Passion Inspires Wadsworth's Comeback

By DESMOND CONNER | Courant Staff Writer

July 24, 2007

Article Tools

E-mail Print Single page view Reprints Reader feedback text size: Andre Wadsworth, the third overall pick in the 1998 NFL draft, is staring down the biggest hurdle of his athletic career in trying to make a comeback with the Jets after a six-year layoff.

He has been kept from the game by multiple knee surgeries, but that's the physical part, not the mental. The drive, determination and heart are there. Always have been.

We're talking about a man who made the ultra-competitive Florida State roster as a walk-on, earned a scholarship and became a starter at defensive end a year later.

Wadsworth was named ACC player of the year and was a first-team All-American as a senior. He went to the Arizona Cardinals as the first defensive player selected in the draft, chosen behind quarterbacks Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf. He played three seasons in Arizona, only his rookie season a full one. He has eight career sacks.

Will No.9 come in a Jets uniform? Will it come at all? Who knows?

"There's no reason in particular for why I'm doing this," Wadsworth, 32, said in a recent telephone interview. "It's just that I've always had the desire to play this game and still through all the surgeries, physical therapy and rehabilitations, it just never died. ... I feel good and I feel like I can still play and I know adversity."

He knows fire, too. The one that burns within the St. Croix native is as intense as when he came out of Florida Christian School in Miami.

The physical part is going to be a challenge. Training camp begins Friday in Hempstead, N.Y., but Wadsworth has to be encouraged since he came through minicamp all right and no one told him not to come back.

His contract is not guaranteed. He knows nothing is.

"I have a lot to overcome, I know that," said Wadsworth, who will also be playing a new position, outside linebacker. "But I wouldn't have gotten into this if I didn't think I could. I'm not hurting for money and I'm not looking for publicity. I love football. I love to compete, and I want to see if I can do this."

There were several teams interested in Wadsworth, but he had a good vibe about the Jets, general manager Mike Tannenbaum and especially the coach, Hartford native Eric Mangini.

"When I talked to the Jets and met with them, they were just really sincere in having me in," Wadsworth said. "And everything just clicked with coach Mangini and the staff. I was so excited when I met with them, I almost missed my plane [back to Florida]. I really liked those guys and the organization as a whole. It seemed like the best fit for me, so that's the place."

Wadsworth started 15 of 16 games as a rookie with Arizona with 57 tackles and five sacks. But things started going wrong the following season. He had some swelling in his knee after a practice and the knee later locked up after he chased down Bills quarterback Doug Flutie. Several surgeries later, doctors began telling him his football career was over.

So, Wadsworth had to get a job, the one he wanted after his playing days. He is a partner with Bryan Myers in All-Pro Imports, six high-end dealerships that sell BMWs, Porsches and Volkswagens throughout Florida.

This was a longtime dream for Wadsworth, who took a liking to the auto business as a kid. The interest came through his dad, who owned a couple of auto parts stores. He died in 1999.

"[Andre and I] started working together in 2000," Myers said. "But I knew him since his junior year in college and he always used to come around the dealership and check out cars. Kids were going out on Friday nights in college. He was at the dealership checking out cars. He said he wanted to go into business after college and I said OK, come back and we'll see.

"He's doing a great job and was determined to do a great job. He can go into any department, any area of the business and know what he's talking about. But Andre has a great passion to play the game he loves. I applaud him and have been encouraging him to give it a shot."

Wadsworth is doing just that.

"I always tell people who ask me about this that God is the ultimate healer. He can do anything and my faith is in Him," Wadsworth said. "So you have that, I have the drive, I know how to deal with adversity. And right now I feel OK, so why shouldn't I give this a shot? If it doesn't pan out, then it doesn't pan out. ... I have a window of opportunity here, and I don't like those to close without taking a shot."

No matter how long it is.

I spoke with some people close to Andre recently. I swear this sounds like something out of a Rocky movie. He has trained so hard for this. He is a man of great faith and on a personal note I am wishing him nothing but luck.

He deserves it and I hope this one ends like the Rocky movies always end. With the underdog smiling!

Have a good camp Andre!

I spoke with some people close to Andre recently. I swear this sounds like something out of a Rocky movie. He has trained so hard for this. He is a man of great faith and on a personal note I am wishing him nothing but luck.

He deserves it and I hope this one ends like the Rocky movies always end. With the underdog smiling!

Have a good camp Andre!

Wadsworth chat? :)

I hope he makes the team and contributes... and eventually got a movie made about him... he deserves it if he is trying as hard as everyone says...

Have a good camp Andre!

Just curious, how many of the jets do you know personally? past or present?

Wadsworth chat? :)

I hope he makes the team and contributes... and eventually got a movie made about him... he deserves it if he is trying as hard as everyone says...

He will if he makes the team, starts, and ends up being a key player for a succesful (playoff) Jets team. Obviously, he will have to defy serious odds...Much more serious then the one he faced when he made the FSU roster.

Archived