Pouha

Kentucky Jet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from the transcript of mangini's Press Conference sunday...

"A guy that I've been very happy with here early on is a guy that I was really happy with early on in training camp last year, Sione Pouha. Last year at this time he had taken the off‑season program and had really transformed his body, looked totally different over the course of the few months that he was working, came out, was having a really good camp before he unfortunately got injured. Now he's maintained that fitness, continued to improve his body and he's really taking to the coaching and doing a lot of good things. I think he's emerging and I'm happy with that."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from the transcript of mangini's Press Conference sunday...

"A guy that I've been very happy with here early on is a guy that I was really happy with early on in training camp last year, Sione Pouha. Last year at this time he had taken the off?season program and had really transformed his body, looked totally different over the course of the few months that he was working, came out, was having a really good camp before he unfortunately got injured. Now he's maintained that fitness, continued to improve his body and he's really taking to the coaching and doing a lot of good things. I think he's emerging and I'm happy with that."

I will be the first one to admit if he contributes this year that I was wrong about him. I still think he won't amount to much, but so far according to the coach he is doing well.

'Cane, he's in better shape this year? I thought he was supposedly in tremendous shape during his cameo in '06? Before he got hurt in camp.

Most of the team looks to be in better shape this year. It seems like they followed Mangini's example and trimmed down, including Pouha, who I remember had more body fat last year, and a bigger gut.

I will be the first one to admit if he contributes this year that I was wrong about him. I still think he won't amount to much, but so far according to the coach he is doing well.

ANYTHING we get out of him this year will be a bonus. He does the team no good if he's on IR again.

Interesting, I think he had already lost 30 pounds last year.

He was still somewhat flabby last year that I recall, and he and the rest of the team do not seem to be laboring thru the grueling practices like they were last summer.

Mangini always heaps praise on a player or 2, it's one of his ways of motivation.

Cotchery, Thomas and later on Chad last year if I recall. It was likely all coach-speak and mirrors though. Whatever happened to those three last year?

He was still somewhat flabby last year that I recall, and he and the rest of the team do not seem to be laboring thru the grueling practices like they were last summer.

Even stranger. I just read he's listed at 325. I wonder if that's an old weight. IIRC, his rookie weight was around 330, last year he supposedly came in 30 lbs lighter (people were bitching he'd be too light for NT) and now he's listed at 325, but 'cane says he looks in better shape than ever.

Even stranger. I just read he's listed at 325. I wonder if that's an old weight. IIRC, his rookie weight was around 330, last year he supposedly came in 30 lbs lighter (people were bitching he'd be too light for NT) and now he's listed at 325, but 'cane says he looks in better shape than ever.

It's really not that strange 27. A 300 pound guy can still have too big of a gut. Also, he may have been concentrating on losing some weight back then, but wasnt gaining as much muscle.

But he had another off-season to rehab and train, and he looks much better now, imo.

It's really not that strange 27. A 300 pound guy can still have too big of a gut. Also, he may have been concentrating on losing some weight back then, but wasnt gaining as much muscle.

But he had another off-season to rehab and train, and he looks much better now, imo.

It's possible, but dropping a gut and gaining 25 pounds would be unusual. Especially when you he was supposed to be a well conditioned world class athlete to begin with and he spent the majority of the time rehabbing a severe knee injury that required surgery. I doubt he was squatting heavy most of the offseason.

It's possible, but dropping a gut and gaining 25 pounds would be unusual. Especially when you he was supposed to be a well conditioned world class athlete to begin with and he spent the majority of the time rehabbing a severe knee injury that required surgery. I doubt he was squatting heavy most of the offseason.

I suppose its about the weight distribution.

Most people are going to look better after an additional year of training. Plus, maybe the new strength and conditioning coach helped him make some improvements in his routine that yielded some good results.

I will try to take another look at him the next time i go to tc.

Muscle weighs more than fat... if he dropped 25lb's of fat... he also could have gained 25lbs in muscle... and will look more fit...

Archived