ESPN's thoughts on the Rugby World Cup

Gainzo

Not the most thorough preview I've ever seen.

New Zealand has to be the overwhelming favourite, but I would put the Springboks ahead of Australia. The European teams have been inconsistient but the French have to have the edge as the home side.

All Blacks, Les Bleus and Wallabies are the favorites

Every four years rugby fans the world over focus on the Rugby World Cup, which this year will be held from Sept. 7 to Oct. 20 in France. Here's a quick look at what you need to know about this year's tournament.

The tournament:

Twenty teams of 30 men each have qualified to play in the RWC. The eight teams that reached the quarterfinals in the last Rugby World Cup, in 2003 in Australia (England, Australia, New Zealand, France, South Africa, Ireland, Scotland, Wales), automatically qualified this year. The remaining 12 slots were filled through international play and qualifying games by Argentina, Canada, Fiji, Georgia, Italy, Japan, Namibia, Portugal, Romania, Samoa, Tonga and the U.S.

Teams will play in four round-robin pools, where 4 points will be awarded for a win, 2 points for a draw. Further, teams will get 1 point for scoring four or more tries and 1 point for a loss by seven points or less. The top two teams in each pool will move on to the quarterfinals, which is also known as the knockout round.

When the dust clears, don't be surprised to see the favorite All Blacks in the scrum with host country France in the finals, with Les Bleus finally hoisting the Webb Ellis Cup.

Team breakdowns:

(listed by International Rugby Board world ranking)

1. New Zealand

The All Blacks have been favored to win the tournament almost since the last World Cup. Big, fast, physical and with a deep bench, New Zealand has shown few weaknesses in its play in the run-up to the tournament. However, Australia was able to penetrate the All Blacks' seemingly invincible armor with a 20-15 come-from-behind upset win in the Tri-Nations tournament in June. That dramatic win gave the rest of the RWC field a sign of hope even though the All Blacks beat the Aussies a month later in a showdown to claim the Tri-Nations crown. The Haka, the tribal dance based on a Maori warrior challenge that the All Blacks will perform on the pitch before their game with Italy on Sept. 8, is a must-see. The All Blacks will cruise into the knockout round and beyond. The All Blacks perform the traditional Haka dance before their games.

2. Australia

Coming off a strong showing in the Tri-Nations tournament, a precursor to the World Cup, the Wallabies are the only team to twice win the RWC (1991, 1999) and have never lost a RWC match to three of their Pool B rivals (Canada, Wales and Japan). The one exception, Fiji, proved no match for the Wallabies in a June match in Perth, losing 49-0. Look for the Aussies to come out on top of their pool to reach the quarters.

3. France

Les Bleus staked a claim to win the World Cup in March by retaining their Six Nations Tournament title, albeit narrowly, thanks to a mental breakdown by Ireland that allowed a game-clinching try in the closing seconds of their match. Still, France has the speed and toughness to match up well with strong Pool D partners Ireland and Argentina. France is the only team in the pool to have twice reached the finals and with homefield advantage throughout the tournament, Les Bleus will be a devastating force as they ride the emotional wave into the quarters.

World Cup pools

Pool A

England, South Africa, Samoa, U.S., Tonga

Pool B

Australia, Wales, Fiji, Canada, Japan

Pool C

New Zealand, Scotland, Italy, Romania, Portugal

Pool D

France, Ireland, Argentina, Georgia, Namibia

4. South Africa

The Springboks are touted as favorites second only to New Zealand. Their Pool A draw has them in relatively still waters, save for their Sept. 14 showdown with England, the defending RWC champions. However, since the 2003 RWC, South Africa twice has managed to score more than 50 points against England. The Springboks' physical play, quickness and world-class ballhandling give them the potential to break games wide open. Expect South Africa to come out on top of its pool and easily advance into the knockout round.

5. Ireland

Always a strong team with a loaded bench, Ireland put together an impressive Six Nations showing to earn the Triple Crown and serious contender status. After drawing into Pool D with two other top-six IRB-ranked teams, Ireland will need to hit the pitch running with physical and focused play for the first 30 minutes of its matches, a trouble spot of late. Even so, Ireland is on top of its game and playing some of its best rugby as it zeroes in on the quarters and possibly the semifinals, where it has yet to venture. Ireland's RWC ride will come down to a Sept. 30 pool-wrapping must-win game against Argentina.

6. Argentina

The Pumas' only quarterfinal appearance came in 1999, when they were summarily dispatched by France, 47-26. Ireland dashed their 2003 RWC hopes with a heartbreaking 16-15 loss in the pool round. Argentina is looking to avenge those losses and will be fielding one of its best teams with the right combination of speed, muscle and explosive playmaking. If Argentina can minimize its turnovers while capitalizing on its opponents', the Pumas could be back in the elite eight.

7. England

England is not the same team it was when it won in 2003. Caught somewhere between maintaining the old guard while nurturing the new, the Red Rose is still looking for consistent play from a squad that's been slow to jell. That doesn't mean anyone should take England for granted. The team will take to the pitch determined to silence naysayers and prove it is capable of world-class play. England's opening match against an overmatched U.S. team will help bolster confidence, and the team will advance to the quarterfinals behind South Africa, where hopes of repeating as champions will come to an end.

8. Wales

Wales is now a much stronger team than the one that lost a two-test series to pool partner and favorite Australia in June. It will need to establish its game against Canada in its opening match and hope that momentum carries through to the next match, against the Wallabies, when Wales hopes to avenge June's losses. The Dragons finish with games against Japan and Fiji, to whom Wales has twice lost in past RWC play. If it plays to its potential, Wales should advance to the quarters.

9. Italy

The Azzurri have the unenviable task of beginning their run with an opening match against powerhouse favorites New Zealand. Italy will then face beatable pool partners Romania and Portugal before wrapping the opening round with Scotland, a team it abused in the Six Nations Tournament, 37-17, in a road win at Murrayfield. The Azzurri impressed many with the much-improved play of their forwards in a disciplined team marbled with youth and experience. Look for the surging Azzurri to make it into the knockout round.

10. Samoa

What the Samoans lack in depth they make up for in physicality. Possessing a powerful running game and a bone-jarring defense, Samoa has twice made it to the quarterfinals. As they were in 2003, the Samoans are in a pool with South Africa and England, whom they nearly upset in their pool match before they were sent packing. They'll be looking for some payback and should not be underestimated. Worth watching: Brian Lima. The 35-year-old center/winger will make history by playing in his fifth RWC tournament, having played in all 16 RWC games for Samoa since its debut victory against Wales in 1991.

11. Scotland

The Scots' dismal Six Nations Tournament showing -- their only win came against Wales -- left them at the bottom of that table, with many questions to be answered. Still, Scotland has always played tough in the RWC, having reached the elite eight in every appearance. It will look to keep that streak alive again this year with must-win opening matches against pool fillers Portugal and Romania that should have the Scots well-seasoned for pool-round closing battles with New Zealand and Italy. The Scots' knockout-round hopes will rest on their final pool game with the Azzurri.

12. Fiji

Focusing their training camp on shoring up the scrum, an area where they've been outlasted, Fiji is hoping to see more competitive play out of its big forwards. Its pool matches kick off with games against Japan and Canada before running into more powerful opponents Australia and Wales. Fiji's bid to end its 20-year quarterfinal drought will come down to the match against Wales.

13. Canada

The Canucks' only advance to the knockout round came in 1991. In 2003, they mustered one win in the pool round, against Tonga. This year, a much-improved squad with added speed and depth will take to the pitch; however the deck is stacked against it with opening-round matches against Wales and Fiji. A winnable game against Japan follows and then the door-slamming match against Australia will end the Canucks' tournament.

World Cup playoffs

Quarterfinals

Oct. 6

Match 1: Winner of Pool B vs. Runner-up of Pool A

Match 2: Winner of Pool C vs. Runner-up of Pool D

Oct. 7

Match 3: Winner of Pool A vs. Runner-up of Pool B

Match 4: Winner of Pool D vs. Runner-up of Pool C

Semifinals

Oct. 13: Match 1: Winner of QF match 1 vs. Winner of QF match 2

Oct. 14: Match 2: Winner of QF match 3 vs. Winner of QF match 4

Oct. 19: Bronze playoff match between the runners-up in the semifinal matches

Final

Oct. 20

Stade de France, St. Denis, France

14. Tonga

The renowned physical play of Tonga hasn't been enough to take it beyond the pool rounds -- the team has lost its last five Rugby World Cup matches, including a 101-10 pummeling by England. The tournament starts against the U.S. on Sept. 12, followed four days later with a game against Samoa, to which Tonga has lost nine straight matches.

15. United States

The Eagles enter their fifth RWC as overpowered underdogs. With only two RWC wins under their belts (both against Japan), it will be an uphill fight. However, the Eagles have pieced together one of their best RWC teams to date and are hungry to prove themselves against the big guns. Their opening pool-round match against England will test their resolve. Tough battles will come against Tonga and Samoa, before a pool-round closing match against South Africa. If the Eagles can grind out two victories and secure third place in their pool, they'll have done well.

16. Romania

The overmatched Oaks are the whipping boys of Pool C. Romania will look to newbie Portugal as its best chance of scratching out a win. However, that test comes after an opening game against the more powerful Italy and then Scotland. The Oaks' tour will end with their loss to the All Blacks.

17. Georgia

In Pool D with powerhouse teams France, Ireland and Argentina, the Lelos will target their Sept. 26 match against fellow cellar dwellers Namibia as their sole shot at victory. Sporting a strong defense, Georgia beat Namibia 26-18 in the IRB Nations Cup in June. Neither Georgia nor Namibia has recorded a win in RWC play.

18. Japan

The Cherry Blossoms can boast of one RWC victory, which came back in 1991 in a 52-8 drumming of Zimbabwe. Since then Japan has lost its last 10 matches. An opening game against the imposing Wallabies will prepare Japan for battles against Canada and Fiji, its only two chances of tasting victory.

19. Portugal

The Lobos are making their first RWC trip and are the first all-amateur team to do so. Their best hope for notching a win will be against Romania, to which they've lost their last three matches. Take lots of pictures for the scrapbook, fellas.

20. Namibia

This is the third RWC appearance for the Welwitschias, who have the dubious honor of holding the record for the worst loss in tournament history when they were crushed by Australia 142-0 in 2003. They have one shot at a win and that will be in their meeting with Georgia. Enjoy the crepes.

Tidbits

I was unaware the U.S. had a national Rugby team. I have to imagine its made up of a good chunk of UCLA players.

brettw4rd is the guy to go to on this but I would have to agree that most of the USA team players come from the West Coast.

There are tons of Rugby teams in Boston, NY and Philly but a most of them are made up of English, Irish, Aussie and Kiwi ex-pats.

With the ability to play year round on the West Coast I'm sure many American born players have embraced the game out there.

brettw4rd is the guy to go to on this but I would have to agree that most of the USA team players come from the West Coast.

There are tons of Rugby teams in Boston, NY and Philly but a most of them are made up of English, Irish, Aussie and Kiwi ex-pats.

With the ability to play year round on the West Coast I'm sure many American born players have embraced the game out there.

Makes sense. I watched an All-Blacks game once. Guys were fun to watch.

You play a little bit of Rugby don't you Gainzo?

Makes sense. I watched an All-Blacks game once. Guys were fun to watch.

You play a little bit of Rugby don't you Gainzo?

A little bit. Aussie Rules Football is my sport but I have the utmost respect for the blokes who play rugby.

• 3 weeks later...

West coast for life! And actually the majority of the players are made up of Cal Berkeley graduates. They are basically one of the most dominant sports programs in NCAA history if you do your research.

Last trip to NZ I got quite caught up watching rugby.

Lions were there for a series against the All Blacks.

You couldn't help but follow it and it was a lot of fun.

I too will follow the World Cup, looking forward to it, though Canada will not make much noise in this tournament

• 3 weeks later...
Watched France get upset last night...hell of a game. I was thinking about putting a pound on the US. Hell, with 5,000-1 odds why not? LOL

The US put a scare into the English but lost 28-10.

The All-Blacks kicked things off in style by beating Italy 76-14.

• 2 weeks later...
You're kidding right? Rugby is non-stop action bro, give it a chance.

Don't bother with him.

You know that Italy is a soccer (football) nation so getting crushed by New Zealand wasn't unexpected.

I thought the Italians would perform better as they had a pretty good run in the 6 Nations this year.

• 2 weeks later...

It's the start of the knockout stage and the Quarter Final match ups are set:

Saturday: Australia vs. England & New Zealand vs. France

Sunday: South Africa vs. Fiji & Scotland vs. Argentina

Should be an interesting weekend.

No sign of Gainzo. I cannot believe France beat them. And the bloody English beat Australia!?

Scotland better take care of Argentina tomorrow. What an opportunity for all the teams left. The All-Blacks seem to ALWAYS choke in tourneys.

France lost today. They can go **** themselves.

Exactly. With the English soccer team and the English rugby team winning, last night has been full of drunken c***ts roaring up and down the street.

I want to rip out the vocal chords of the next person to sing Swing Low Sweet Chariot with a rusty butterknife.

Exactly. With the English soccer team and the English rugby team winning, last night has been full of drunken c***ts roaring up and down the street.

I want to rip out the vocal chords of the next person to sing Swing Low Sweet Chariot with a rusty butterknife.

Sounds like fun. I just throw frozen olives at them. I can't be bothered to go down three flights to eviscerate anybody.

Sounds like fun. I just throw frozen olives at them. I can't be bothered to go down three flights to eviscerate anybody.

I completely understand how you feel about those English drunken idiots.

Can we all feel the love for South Africa as they hopefully kick the piss out of the poms on the weekend?

1pVfhd1tLdU

Archived