Thurman Munson...

toon88

You should check out some of the Ted Williams comments. Pretty classy.

To be fair, this is actually pretty mild compared to what he's said about Munson in the past.

I've seen them, and they're ****ed up. But I guess I'm just a little sensitive about Munson.

• 13 years later...
On 8/4/2007 at 6:29 PM, Jet/BosoxFan said:

I dont know why BP and Thor...but I expect at least a 3rd grade level of reading comprehension on this board, especially when reading my posts.

I was obviously talking about the current Yankee captain, all time leader in the Intangibles category and nothing else! There was nary a reference to Mr. Munson.

Max should at least require that you have a GED to post here

:rl: 

is he still here under another user name? 

On 2/4/2021 at 12:25 AM, Maxman said:

I don't think so, last I saw him here was 2009.  He was brutal lol.

Under another name? Cause we uh...well...hacked into the banned user accounts for April fools 2008. Him and madmike lol could you imagine them here now?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2007 at 7:15 AM, toon88 said:

28 years ago today he died in a plane crash in Ohio. August 2, 1979.

While I was only like 9 years old, I'll never forget watching my old man cry like a baby when he heard the news on TV. Like alot of Yankee fans in the late '70's, Munson was my dad's favorite player.

A great career cut way too short.

I was born and will die a Yankee hater. But over the years ive softened and appreciate what a big deal being it is to be a great Yankee.

I was 14 when he died and I remember where I was when I heard the news. In fact I was in the same place the day Elvis died too. My world was much smaller then. 

I was a catcher and I hated him for being a Yankee but I copied him more than any other catcher. The sidearm off balance release, his low setup and how he would rag on his pitcher or anyone else when he needed to. He was always covered in dirt spitting tobacco and being in Fn charge of his team. Forget captain, he was the boss and he was everything to that group because he was the one that could deal with Billy. Casey said he never played an important game without his man, Yogi who for me is a top 10 all time player, and Munson was the same for Martin. He was a special player and a great Yankee. 

• Upvote 3

On 2/5/2021 at 8:26 PM, BP said:

Under another name? Cause we uh...well...hacked into the banned user accounts for April fools 2008. Him and madmike lol could you imagine them here now?

You need to review the non disclosure agreement that you signed during your exit interview.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

You need to review the non disclosure agreement that you signed during your exit interview.

Statue of limitations kid. I think you need to read it again, and this time put on a pair of glasses.

On 3/19/2021 at 11:58 PM, Rich said:

I was born and will die a Yankee hater. But over the years ive softened and appreciate what a big deal being it is to be a great Yankee.

I was 14 when he died and I remember where I was when I heard the news. In fact I was in the same place the day Elvis died too. My world was much smaller then. 

I was a catcher and I hated him for being a Yankee but I copied him more than any other catcher. The sidearm off balance release, his low setup and how he would rag on his pitcher or anyone else when he needed to. He was always covered in dirt spitting tobacco and being in Fn charge of his team. Forget captain, he was the boss and he was everything to that group because he was the one that could deal with Billy. Casey said he never played an important game without his man, Yogi who for me is a top 10 all time player, and Munson was the same for Martin. He was a special player and a great Yankee. 

That’s me on the right at Fenway 2 years ago.... only jersey I will wear.  SOX fans have big respect for Munson also.  

71FDD149-8A15-4F5B-86B5-7B11F74D69B2.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 3/19/2021 at 11:58 PM, Rich said:

The Yankees were my first team.  There were no Mets yet and the Dodgers & Giants had already left NY.   As a kid back then, went to a "clinic"/PR event the Yankees held at Clove Lake Park on Staten Island.  Two rookies showed up and put on a display for about 30-50 fans who attended.  Imagine this now?  

One of the rookies (can't recall who the other player was) was Munson.  He put on a show throwing with his trademark sidearm delivery you mention, demonstrated hitting techniques, and a bunch of other stuff.  We were all saying "who the hell is this guy, he's unbelievable"?  Just already had the presence and talent which would follow Thurman until his tragic death.  One of the best sports days of my life.

13 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

That’s me on the right at Fenway 2 years ago.... only jersey I will wear.  SOX fans have big respect for Munson also.  

71FDD149-8A15-4F5B-86B5-7B11F74D69B2.jpeg

Big props.  That took some balls for you and your buddy walking into Fenway outfitted like that.  I would have expected at least a beer shah-wah to be given for those jerseys.  Kudos.

8 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

The Yankees were my first team.  There were no Mets yet and the Dodgers & Giants had already left NY.   As a kid back then, went to a "clinic"/PR event the Yankees held at Clove Lake Park on Staten Island.  Two rookies showed up and put on a display for about 30-50 fans who attended.  Imagine this now?  

One of the rookies (can't recall who the other player was) was Munson.  He put on a show throwing with his trademark sidearm delivery you mention, demonstrated hitting techniques, and a bunch of other stuff.  We were all saying "who the hell is this guy, he's unbelievable"?  Just already had the presence and talent which would follow Thurman until his tragic death.  One of the best sports days of my life.

Big props.  That took some balls for you and your buddy walking into Fenway outfitted like that.  I would have expected at least a beer shah-wah to be given for those jerseys.  Kudos.

Funny... he wasn't my buddy.  I just liked the jersey and asked him to take the photo with me.  That same day, earlier in a bar, a young boy came up to me and said...  my dad wants to take a pic with you.  he was wearing a FISK jersey.   I got nothing but respect from SOX fans wearing that jersey.

• Upvote 1

Just now, southparkcpa said:

Munson could throw guys out from his knees, Ive seen him throw to second without standing.  Good times.

Funny... he wasn't my buddy.  I just liked the jersey and asked him to take the photo with me.  That same day, earlier in a bar, a young boy came up to me and said...  my dad wants to take a pic with you.  he was wearing a FISK jersey.   I got nothing but respect from SOX fans wearing that jersey.

7 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Wow, cool that there was another Yankee fan with that jersey even if he wasn't a pal.  Munson and Fisk jerseys together adds another fantastic element to the story.  Love that the Sox fans appreciated the Yankee legend's legacy.  

• 2 weeks later...