Pennington will be on a short leash.

NIGHT STALKER

I don't think the staff will let Pennington go too far into the season if he plays like he has in the preseason. They will want to see exactly what they have in Clemens early on...Pennington's salary next year goes threw the roof.

If Pennington plays poorly for a few consecutive losing efforts, it would be surprising if he weren't pulled. But when have you ever seen Pennington play consistently bad. He's had bad games here and there, but he's always bounced back with a good game. I would be really surprised if he were to lose his starting job this season.

The bigger question is how consistent will he be this year. Inconsistent play this year might spell a QB controversy for next year.

If Pennington plays poorly for a few consecutive losing efforts, it would be surprising if he weren't pulled. But when have you ever seen Pennington play consistently bad. He's had bad games here and there, but he's always bounced back with a good game. I would be really surprised if he were to lose his starting job this season.

The bigger question is how consistent will he be this year. Inconsistent play this year might spell a QB controversy for next year.

He played pretty bad pretty often last year actually. I'm not so sure a switch would be quick this year either.

It depends on the situaiton...if Pennington is playing awful b/c he is missing passes, making bad reads, etc. and the rest of our team is clicking, then yes he will be pulled. But don't expect Mangini and T to throw their golden boy KC under center if the O-line is not protecting the QB and we have no running game. More than likely the main people influencing the QB play (as usual) will be the 5 men on the line, not chad or kellen.

He played pretty bad pretty often last year actually. I'm not so sure a switch would be quick this year either.

Well, i guess if you think he played pretty bad last year, he would have to be much worse this year to get pulled seeing as how there was NEVER any talk of pulling him at all last season and he was named started before tc even started this year.

Jacksonville, Cleveland, Chicago. The second buffalo game you can hang on the defense. Which other games did he play bad?

Cleveland we were robbed of a win, Jax was just a bad game all over. Chicago i think was a team offensive issue but yeah qb has to take the wrap for me. But let's also talk about the fact that other then 1-2 games we lost, we were in EVERY other game, remember indy for christ sake! We almost won that if our D wasn't so bad at the end. If we are pretty much in every game we played, i just don't see how he was so terrible last year.

The question isn't really how bad Pennington was year (there were definitely bad games however) the question is when was he really ever better than average? Chad is who he is, he's alot more Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson than he is Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. I am not going to sit here and say difinitively that Clemens is better, but I do think we as Jets fans deserve better. We have been so plagued by bad QB play in the past, sans 1 outstanding Testaverde season, that we seem to have all been content to accept Pennington's average play as outstanding. Compared to some of what we've seen Pennington is outstanding. But compared to the rest of the league, he's average. That's it.

Now I don't know about you guys, but I for one would like more than just the above average play we've had in the past 8 years. We taste the playoffs and quietly go home shortly thereafter. We have paid our dues as fans and we deserve better. Maybe Clemens is that guy, maybe he is not. But what I do know is this-no one on this team is so great that we risk missing the prime of an outstanding player or core of players by taking the chance on a new young QB. Our D is mediocre, our O is mediocre. What I do kn ow is we need an absolutely astonishingly good D and RB if Pennington is going to win a SB for us. I don't think many here can fairly argue that. So, do we all continue to accept above average, or do we take a chance on greatness by making a bold move? That is the true question and the true subject worth debating.

Chad deserves to start the season, but we need to hold our expectations high. Average to above average is not enough anymore.

The question isn't really how bad Pennington was year (there were definitely bad games however) the question is when was he really ever better than average? Chad is who he is, he's alot more Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson than he is Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. I am not going to sit here and say difinitively that Clemens is better, but I do think we as Jets fans deserve better. We have been so plagued by bad QB play in the past, sans 1 outstanding Testaverde season, that we seem to have all been content to accept Pennington's average play as outstanding. Compared to some of what we've seen Pennington is outstanding. But compared to the rest of the league, he's average. That's it.

Now I don't know about you guys, but I for one would like more than just the above average play we've had in the past 8 years. We taste the playoffs and quietly go home shortly thereafter. We have paid our dues as fans and we deserve better. Maybe Clemens is that guy, maybe he is not. But what I do know is this-no one on this team is so great that we risk missing the prime of an outstanding player or core of players by taking the chance on a new young QB. Our D is mediocre, our O is mediocre. What I do kn ow is we need an absolutely astonishingly good D and RB if Pennington is going to win a SB for us. I don't think many here can fairly argue that. So, do we all continue to accept above average, or do we take a chance on greatness by making a bold move? That is the true question and the true subject worth debating.

Chad deserves to start the season, but we need to hold our expectations high. Average to above average is not enough anymore.

but Dilfer and Johnson did win superbowls, just sayin'....lol

Continue to read, Dilfer and Johnson did so with outstanding D's and a hell of a running game. A luxury we do not have, nor could we possibly have for years to come right now.

well, yeah, but i just wanted to state the fact that i knew that they won superbowls, lol, carry on

he won't see week 3 if he stinks up the joint. as stated before, preseason means nothing to me. call me when the games count if you want my opinion of chad

I agree with you and NS. Chad simply must get it done! We are in the business of winning football games and the big one! He must either beat the top rated teams or move over. I do not know what we have in Kellen. But his better arm should keep defenses honest and allow our run game to flourish. Like all Jets fans, I want the best for our team. IMO that is not Chad and I do not know about Kellen. I suspect that the QB that will lead us to a SB win, just might not be on the roster yet! BUT Kellen should get the chance to do his thing!

Cleveland we were robbed of a win, Jax was just a bad game all over. Chicago i think was a team offensive issue but yeah qb has to take the wrap for me. But let's also talk about the fact that other then 1-2 games we lost, we were in EVERY other game, remember indy for christ sake! We almost won that if our D wasn't so bad at the end. If we are pretty much in every game we played, i just don't see how he was so terrible last year.

Did he win the SUPER BOWL? That is what he is paid to do! There is one SB winner and everyone else is a loser!

Right, it's our D's fault. Our D that was what...top 10 overall? Maybe even 6th in terms of points allowed? That terrible D? Or was it maybe, possibly our offense's fault, with it's 25th ranked performance? What, so 26 other NFL teams have horrible Ds that blow games too?

It would be much quicker this year, imo.

No one was ready to step in last year. ramsey was terrible. Clemens was greener than green.

That's not the case this year, and the CS knows it, and so does CP.

It would be much quicker this year, imo.

No one was ready to step in last year. ramsey was terrible. Clemens was greener than green.

That's not the case this year, and the CS knows it, and so does CP.

Agreed. I was hoping that ERIC would have signed a guy like Garcia or Carr to step in if Pennington failed or to battle him in camp for the starters job. Kellen has us thinking but is he ready yet? I just do not know.

Agreed. I was hoping that ERIC would have signed a guy like Garcia or Carr to step in if Pennington failed or to battle him in camp for the starters job. Kellen has us thinking but is he ready yet? I just do not know.

The CS has always been extremely high on Clemens. Last year I don't think they intended to start him at all. That's what Ramsey was for. After the season I think they evaluated Clemens' progress and thats when they cut Ramsey and signed Tui (who was probably signed just to make sure Clemens didn't get too comfortable)

I suspect Tangini has been planning to have Chad and Clemens compete for the starting job this year or the next.

I know it's a different set of coaches nowadays, but Vinnie was allowed to wreck a whole season before Chad got the call.

I think it was game 8 after going 2-5 or something.

It'll have to get pretty ugly before they jump ship on him, imo.

I know it's a different set of coaches nowadays, but Vinnie was allowed to wreck a whole season before Chad got the call.

I think it was game 8 after going 2-5 or something.

It'll have to get pretty ugly before they jump ship on him, imo.

2002? Chad came in when the Jets were 1-3. He led them to 2-5 and then turned it on. The only reason why Chad got a shot was because Vinny went down in the 4th game against Jacksonville. He impressed in a losing effort against Kansas City and by the time Vinny was ready, the Jets had to decided to go in a younger direction at Quarterback.

Continue to read, Dilfer and Johnson did so with outstanding D's and a hell of a running game. A luxury we do not have, nor could we possibly have for years to come right now.

Look at the numbers Brad Johnson put up that season and tell me he didn't play great. People think that because the bucs had a great D that the offense wasn't that good. That's incorrect. Johnson had some very good seasons and that was one of his best.

Archived