Jets vs. Patriots preview 124 style

Alright guys, I'm still doing the Report Card this year but I thought I'd add a little bit more by giving a weekly preview. Here goes nothing.

Week 1:

New England (0-0) @ N.Y. Jets (0-0)

1pm, CBS2-NY, ESPN 1050AM

What the Jets need to do to win:

1. Let Pennington manage the game

The sane group of us here on JetNation realize that Chad Pennington is not a guy who is going to go out there, throw for 300+ yards and 4 touchdowns and carry this team on his back to a victory. Can he have 300+ yard days? Yes, hell anyone can. However, the Jets seem to be at their best when he doesn't.

Case in point: In the 3 match-up's last season, Chad Pennington threw for 300 or more yards in the 2 losses, while throwing for only 168 yards in the lone victory. Chad was able to hand the ball off to Kevan Barlow who had his best day as a Jet (17 carries, 75 yards, TD) and let the defense do the work. He made a few nice throws but other than that, MANAGED THE GAME, which aside from his play-action ability is Chad's strongest point.

2. Thomas Jones and Leon Washington MUST be able to run the ball

This kind of adds on to the above paragraphs on Pennington. In order to be successful, Pennington must be able to game manage. To be able to game manage your running backs must have a strong day at the office, as well as the defense. This game could be easily won or lost by the production of Thomas Jones and Leon Washington running behind a better offensive line when it comes to run blocking. Which leads us to:

3. The Offensive Line

The Jets' Offensive Line will be for the better and for the worst against New England on Sunday. The reason is no secret: Jacob Bender. Bender comes from a 1-AA school that ran the option so he is seasoned at run blocking and also brings a bigger body to put next to D'Brickashaw Ferguson. However, pass blocking is not the forte and option schools so Bender will struggle and the importance of how the Tight Ends and Thomas Jones in pass blocking will be HUGE in the outcome of this game.

4. Stopping the run

Great teams win football games by capatilzing on offense when given the opportunity and stopping the run on defense. This was one of the Jets' weak points for much of the 2006 season and must be corrected. Rookie ILB David Harris should help as he will rotate in and out with veterans Jonathan Vilma and Eric Barton. The Jets must hope that Free Agent pick-ups Kenyon Coleman, Eric Hicks and David Bowens can not only add pressure to the Quarterback to go with what Bryan Thomas and Shaun Ellis bring, but they must be strong against the run as well. If not, Laurence Maroney is going to have a freakin' field day on this Jets defense.

And finally:

5. Special Teams

Mike Nugent, Ben Graham, Justin Miller and Darrelle Revis will all play huge parts in this game. Nugent when givin opportunties to kick field goals MUST make all of them, not like his previous season opening struggles against KC in '05 and Tennessee in '06. Graham will play a huge role in field position, as well as the coverage team that will run down the punts. It would be great if Miller or Revis could bring back a kick or punt for a touchdown, but at the very least they have to have a couple of effective returns that give the Jets a shorter field then what the Patriots would like.

Pennington needs to stretch the field early with some deep passes opening up the running and short passing game. Look for Jones and Washington to be used for screens and short passes against an aggressive defense.

On defense the Jets need to be blitz happy with brady and put a lot of pressure on him, not letting him settle in. Disrupt receiver routes. With a new offense trying to come together the worst thing the Jets could do is allow Brady time to get in rhythm.

Against the run hit Maroney hard and often. He only has so many carries in him. Anytime he has the ball defenders have to go after him like that ball belongs to us.

The Jets have to dictate the tempo, be aggressive and win the turnover battle.

It's that simple... :)

Nugent when givin opportunties to kick field goals MUST make all of them, not like his previous season opening struggles against KC in '05 and Tennessee in '06.

The O has to put the ball in the EZ, not kick FG's. With everything else that happen, this was the different in Foxbough last January.

Chad Pennington threw for 300+ and multiple touchdowns in the first three games last year. :Typotux:

Wow. Bravo Chad. Thats still 2-2 in 300+ yard games last season unless he had another one after Week 3 aside from the playoff game. Bravo! 2-2 is excellent.

The Jets do much, much better when they set up Pennington to game manage. He cannot take a team to the playoffs or near the Super Bowl if he has to carry the team because that is something his arm strength cannot bring, the ability to make something out of nothing. He is a game manager, no gun slinger.

Wow. Bravo Chad. Thats still 2-2 in 300+ yard games last season unless he had another one after Week 3 aside from the playoff game. Bravo! 2-2 is excellent.

The Jets do much, much better when they set up Pennington to game manage. He cannot take a team to the playoffs or near the Super Bowl if he has to carry the team because that is something his arm strength cannot bring, the ability to make something out of nothing. He is a game manager, no gun slinger.

Every team is better when the qb doesn't throw for 300+ yards. The only reason to throw that much is because you are down. When you are up you run the ball to kill clock. Even when your backs are Blaylock and Barlow. The Jets lost the game when Namath threw for 500 yards.

Every team is better when the qb doesn't throw for 300+ yards. The only reason to throw that much is because you are down. When you are up you run the ball to kill clock. Even when your backs are Blaylock and Barlow. The Jets lost the game when Namath threw for 500 yards.

Not only is it 300 yards. When Pennington is throwing the ball around 30 times a game, this team still is not playing how it needs to play to play its best football while Pennington is behind center. He is a GAME MANAGER. A game manager is supposed to be throwing it 20-25 times a game while handing it off to his backs and relying on the defense to make stops when it needs too.

Alright guys, I'm still doing the Report Card this year but I thought I'd add a little bit more by giving a weekly preview. Here goes nothing.

Week 1:

New England (0-0) @ N.Y. Jets (0-0)

1pm, CBS2-NY, ESPN 1050AM

What the Jets need to do to win:

1. Let Pennington manage the game

The sane group of us here on JetNation realize that Chad Pennington is not a guy who is going to go out there, throw for 300+ yards and 4 touchdowns and carry this team on his back to a victory. Can he have 300+ yard days? Yes, hell anyone can. However, the Jets seem to be at their best when he doesn't.

Case in point: In the 3 match-up's last season, Chad Pennington threw for 300 or more yards in the 2 losses, while throwing for only 168 yards in the lone victory. Chad was able to hand the ball off to Kevan Barlow who had his best day as a Jet (17 carries, 75 yards, TD) and let the defense do the work. He made a few nice throws but other than that, MANAGED THE GAME, which aside from his play-action ability is Chad's strongest point.

2. Thomas Jones and Leon Washington MUST be able to run the ball

This kind of adds on to the above paragraphs on Pennington. In order to be successful, Pennington must be able to game manage. To be able to game manage your running backs must have a strong day at the office, as well as the defense. This game could be easily won or lost by the production of Thomas Jones and Leon Washington running behind a better offensive line when it comes to run blocking. Which leads us to:

3. The Offensive Line

The Jets' Offensive Line will be for the better and for the worst against New England on Sunday. The reason is no secret: Jacob Bender. Bender comes from a 1-AA school that ran the option so he is seasoned at run blocking and also brings a bigger body to put next to D'Brickashaw Ferguson. However, pass blocking is not the forte and option schools so Bender will struggle and the importance of how the Tight Ends and Thomas Jones in pass blocking will be HUGE in the outcome of this game.

4. Stopping the run

Great teams win football games by capatilzing on offense when given the opportunity and stopping the run on defense. This was one of the Jets' weak points for much of the 2006 season and must be corrected. Rookie ILB David Harris should help as he will rotate in and out with veterans Jonathan Vilma and Eric Barton. The Jets must hope that Free Agent pick-ups Kenyon Coleman, Eric Hicks and David Bowens can not only add pressure to the Quarterback to go with what Bryan Thomas and Shaun Ellis bring, but they must be strong against the run as well. If not, Laurence Maroney is going to have a freakin' field day on this Jets defense.

And finally:

5. Special Teams

Mike Nugent, Ben Graham, Justin Miller and Darrelle Revis will all play huge parts in this game. Nugent when givin opportunties to kick field goals MUST make all of them, not like his previous season opening struggles against KC in '05 and Tennessee in '06. Graham will play a huge role in field position, as well as the coverage team that will run down the punts. It would be great if Miller or Revis could bring back a kick or punt for a touchdown, but at the very least they have to have a couple of effective returns that give the Jets a shorter field then what the Patriots would like.

Nice analysis. Obviously these things are very interconnected. Our ability to run the ball takes the pressure off of Chad to pass us to a victory. It also limits the time the Pats will have on the field and, assuming our O is scoring points, limits the time they can spend running the football. This shifts them to passing the ball which should play to the strength of our D (does it have a real strength) and allows the blitz packages and our new D linemen and OLBs to come in and put more pressure on Brady.

ST, to me, is going to be the key. This is the area where I think the Jets have the clearest advantage.

Forget 300 yards. With obvious single-game exceptions, that's for gunslingers &/or teams playing catch-up. Chad had 9 starts - including 6 in a ROW at one point - last year with under 200 yards. THAT is unacceptable.

I'll give you the Chicago, Cleaveland and Jacksonville games, but I don't see how you can have a problem with the 2nd Pats game, or the Detroit game.

I'll give you the Chicago, Cleaveland and Jacksonville games, but I don't see how you can have a problem with the 2nd Pats game, or the Detroit game.

You're cherry-picking. The second Pats game was in the mud & Detroit is/was awful. You're also "giving" him other games where he sucked miserably & got his yardage #'s up because of other players' brilliance like the NE game #1 or Miami game #2.

On a game day, with receivers like Coles & Cotchery, it is more likely for our QB to pass for under 190 yards than to exceed it. That may or may not affect the outcome of a game, but it doesn't make one brimming with confidence in our QB. It's not like his starting WR's were Travis Taylor & David Patten.

You're cherry-picking. The second Pats game was in the mud & Detroit is/was awful. You're also "giving" him other games where he sucked miserably & got his yardage #'s up because of other players' brilliance like the NE game #1 or Miami game #2.

On a game day, with receivers like Coles & Cotchery, it is more likely for our QB to pass for under 190 yards than to exceed it. That may or may not affect the outcome of a game, but it doesn't make one brimming with confidence in our QB. It's not like his starting WR's were Travis Taylor & David Patten.

Oh no, I'm not cherry picking and saying he was awesome. I'm just saying that he did what he was asked to do in at least two of the games you listed. You listed these games as examples of "unacceptable" performance, yet the Jets were 3-3 and IMO he was only horrific in three and at least three were in very poor conditions (rain w/NE, wind w/Chicago & Cleaveland). I am not satisified with Pennington's performance last year, but I'm not as high on the rest of the talent on the '06 Jets offense as some. I hoped with Jones and not losing any true starters he'd have a decent year, but the Kendall thing kind of makes a mess of that.

Archived