Watching games that don't include your favorite team

StillerPaul

I was just thinking of how much i enjoy watching football and how addicted i am to this game.

I can sit and enjoy any game (save for a huge blowout). But, i have a habit of picking one team and rooting for them. Believe it or not, if the team i want to win loses the game it affects me at least a little bit.

Besides the Steelers, the 2 teams i'll root for most are the Jets and Panthers. Should they lose, it does in fact upset me. Granted i don't get as upset as if the Steelers lost, but i am affected still.

Is this a common football fan condition? Are any of you guys affected by other football games like this?

I thought it would be cool if some of you could list your "other" teams as well. In an effort to better get to know my new friends, of course. :wink:

I was just thinking of how much i enjoy watching football and how addicted i am to this game.

I can sit and enjoy any game (save for a huge blowout). But, i have a habit of picking one team and rooting for them. Believe it or not, if the team i want to win loses the game it affects me at least a little bit.

Besides the Steelers, the 2 teams i'll root for most are the Jets and Panthers. Should they lose, it does in fact upset me. Granted i don't get as upset as if the Steelers lost, but i am affected still.

Is this a common football fan condition? Are any of you guys affected by other football games like this?

I thought it would be cool if some of you could list your "other" teams as well. In an effort to better get to know my new friends, of course. :wink:

I've always liked the Rams...It's a Los Angeles thing, or used to be. I hate Mike Martz though.

Besides the Patriots, I always root for the Browns, Ravens, and Bengals. :twisted:

In all seriousness: basically, I root for anyone playing against the Dolphins, for I can't f'ing stand them. I don't mind the Jets all that much, but if their game affects the Patriots in any way, than I root against them as well.

Being from Iowa its hard to even watch the Chiefs or Vikings at all. Since they are "local" that is who the majority of the fans root for around here--

Me being a Jets fans and my brother being a Giants fan (yes, we're both born and raised in iowa) we have this 'agreeement' that we "root" for each others team when ours isn't on-or our season ends. Other than that, i watch as much NFL as i can, but don't get to emotional.

-jALES

Oh I have plenty of teams to root for each week

1. Obviously the Jets

2. Whoever happens to be playing NE, Miami, Buffalo, and the slimmy Giants

So that alone gives me FIVE TEAMS to root for each week :wink:

Hey Ham, is the Jets/Giants game a big rivalry in NY? That has to be one hugs city to support so many sports teams BTW. I can't wait to visit that town.

I always wondered what it must be like to have 2 teams in 1 city.

The Vikings. I lived there for 2 years as a kid so I root for them to take the NFC every year.

Cofession Time ... the Cowboys were always my NFC team as a kid

1. Loved Tom Landry

2. Staubach was my favorite non Jet and I liked a number of their players

3. Loved watching them whup the Giants twice every year

4. They were the most inovative team in the league for awhile

HOW the hell is it possible to root for another team other than your own and get upset if they lose :shock: ?!!! The only way I get upset watching another game is if a team that I HATE (Jets, Pats, Jaguars) win. I actually get a sick feeling to my stomach at times. But yeah, I love watching all football games. I can sit there and watch it and enjoy. What a great game.......

Even though I am die hard Jet fan for 35 or so years that I can remember ( it gets blurry as I get older) I have a affinity for the Packers- I think it has to do with the legend of Lombardi, Bart Starr era that I can vaguely remember but have so much respect and admiration for.

Hey Ham, is the Jets/Giants game a big rivalry in NY? That has to be one hugs city to support so many sports teams BTW. I can't wait to visit that town.

Paul

You've NEVER been to the big Apple??????? :shock:

Nothing like it. You must visit.

All true Jet fans hate the Giants and root for them to lose every week {unless they're playing an AFCE team or playing for a high draft pick late in the season}

BTW, I am really in-debted to the Steelers for walking away with BIG BEN last year after the Giants traded a kings ransom for Eli ... then spending the entire 2004 season making them look like a bunch of horses @$$es :lol:

All true Jet fans hate the Giants and root for them to lose every week {unless they're playing an AFCE team or playing for a high draft pick late in the season}

BTW, I am really in-debted to the Steelers for walking away with BIG BEN last year after the Giants traded a kings ransom for Eli ... then spending the entire 2004 season making them look like a bunch of horses @$$es :lol:

Ham, I've always said that wasn't a "genius" move on the Steelers part. They just so happened to get lucky due to the Chargers and Giants FO's oohing and awing over Eli and Philip. :lol:

Verdegirl, i have never been to the Big Apple. I'm afraid i'll get lost there alone! I have an invite to some place called 16-H (i believe) the next time the Steelers visit town though. I plan on going. :)

OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD

QB Roger Staubach

RB Tony Dorsett

FB Robert Newhouse/Ron Springs

WR Tony Hill

WR Drew Pearson

WR Butch Johnson

WR Golden Richards

TE Billy Joe Dupree/Jay Saldi

OL Pat Donovan, Tom Rafferty, John Fitzgerald, Scott Cooper, Rayfield Wright

===

DE Too Tall Jones

DT Randy White

DT John Dutton/Jethro Pugh

DE Harvey Martin/Jim Jeffcoat

OLB Hollywood Henderson

MLB DD Lewis

OLB Bob Bruning

CB Aaron Kyle

S Charlie Waters

S Cliff Harris

CB Bennie Barners/Everson Walls

===

PK Eferen Herrera

P Danny White

===

HC Tom Landry

That was my NFC team :wink:

Good memory Ham! Does it help that they are pretty much all hall of famers? :lol:

YOU MADE ME DO THIS :D

QB Terry Bradshaw

RB Franco Harris

FB Rocky Blier

WR Lynn Swann

WR John Stallworth

TE Bennie Cunningham/Randy Grossman

OL Jon Kolb ~ Mike Webster ... forget the other three :shock:

===

DE LC Greenwood

DT Mean Joe Greene

DT Ernie Holmes

DE Dwight White

OLB Dirt Winston

MLB Jack Lambert

OLB Jack Ham

CB Mel Blount

S Donnie Shell

S ????? :shock:

CB JT Thomas

===

PK Roy Gerila

P ????? :shock:

===

HC Chuck Noll

No matter what game im watching in ANY SPORT,i find that i pick a team who i want to win and root for them. To me thats what captures the spirit of being a fan of something.

I don't root with all my heart lik i would for the Jets but i root and i bet on games and i have a damn good time.

What is life without emotion?

Bro, that also happens to be the answer to a triva question

Who was the intended receiver on the immacualte reception?

FRENCHY FUQUA 8)

Damn, knowledgeable guys like you impress the hell out of me.

I'm a lifelong Steelers fan and didn't know that, Ham. :shock:

SP, I Got one for you ...

Who was the DB that was covering Frenchy Fuqua on the immaculate reception ... the DB who the officials deemed the ball deflected off, as opposed to deflecting off Fuqua?

BUMP

Didn't want you to miss this, SP :wink:

PS. Thanks for the compliment ... much appreciated

BUMP

Didn't want you to miss this, SP :wink:

PS. Thanks for the compliment ... much appreciated

Oh, sorry i missed that one Ham. OK, i wanna guess Jack Tatum. The name sounds familiar plus i remember him being mentioned on a highlight film before. Correct?

If I'm not rooting for the Jets, usually I'm pulling for the Packers. They are my NFC team (lived there briefly, mother's side is from there). As far as baseball, I'm die-hard Tigers fan, but the more years i've lived in South Florida, the more the Marlins are becoming my NL team. Can't beat going to a half empty stadium for 5 dollar tickets and then sitting next to the dugout to watch a playoff-caliber team.

I hear ya man. I also root for the Eagles (90% of my family are Eagles fans so yeah kinda grow up with that) and whenever they lose it hurts a little bit, but nothing like when the Jets lose. I also root for the Packers, but, once Brett Favre retires, that'll change.

I hear ya man. I also root for the Eagles (90% of my family are Eagles fans so yeah kinda grow up with that) and whenever they lose it hurts a little bit, but nothing like when the Jets lose. I also root for the Packers, but, once Brett Favre retires, that'll change.

Thats exactly why i like the Panthers. I'm a big fan of Brentson Buckner, he was drafted by the Steelers. A genuine good guy, IMO, plus plays with alot of heart.

Early in the season, I always root against the teams in our division. However, late in the year, my rooting interest depends on the playoff picture. It also brings a little sunshine to my day if the Giants or Falcons lose.

As long as Favre still plays, I'll root for the Packers unless them winning hurts the Jets and with fantasy football, I have interests in games that I otherwise would give a sh!t less about like a December game between Tampa Bay and Arizona.

Archived