What is a strong armed QB?

DMaynard

It is not an Olympic event - how far down the field can you throw the ball. It is throwing a sideline pattern with so much velocity that the CB can not jump the route. It is throwing bullet medium range curls and post patterns over the middle in between LBers and safties. And most important, it is the ability to throw with power off your back foot or across your body or on the run or without having enough space in front of you to step into and follow up on your throw. These are all of the things that Chad cannot do. That is why all the Jets can do with him is this dink and dunk offense.

If the Jets had a dominating defense and powerful running attack, Chad could manage them to a Super Bowl. They don't.

Time to see what Clemens can do. I don't know what Clemens will turn out to be. But I know he has the one thing Chad does not have. An NFL arm.

It is not an Olympic event - how far down the field can you throw the ball. It is throwing a sideline pattern with so much velocity that the CB can not jump the route. It is throwing bullet medium range curls and post patterns over the middle in between LBers and safties. And most important, it is the ability to throw with power off your back foot or across your body or on the run or without having enough space in front of you to step into and follow up on your throw. These are all of the things that Chad cannot do. That is why all the Jets can do with him is this dink and dunk offense.

If the Jets had a dominating defense and powerful running attack, Chad could manage them to a Super Bowl. They don't.

Time to see what Clemens can do. I don't know what Clemens will turn out to be. But I know he has the one thing Chad does not have. An NFL arm.

YOU ARE 100% CORRECT, and BY the WAY GET RID OF MANGINI AS WELL. Buy Him Out and SIGN COWER!!!!

If you're gonna be a dink and dunk game mananger who's forte is being a "smart" QB then you simply cant throw these stupid INT's right out of Testaverde's book on a consistent basis. Ive seen it far too often from chad. And its not like he can make up for it on the next drive witha 50 yard strike so it magnifies his mistakes.

The Bills played a basic cover 2 yesterday, rush 4 guys and drop 7 into coverage. Yout beat the cover 2 by attacking the deep sidelines and the deep middle of hte field. Two throws that CHAD SIMPly cant make with any sort of consistency thus he had to dump off underneath into the belly of the defense and thats exactly what cover 2 teams want you to do Keep everything short and in front of them and simply make the tackles. Chad played right into their hands. But hey, some Chad fans are creaming their pants that he completed 14 dump offs in a row at point point. Hooray

It pains me to say this about Chad because I like the guy and watned to believe in him, but its time to move on.

It's not all about the deep pass. It's the ability to force defenses to at least respect it. Nobody is saying that we need to throw every pass 30+ yards downfield. But when that possibility is there the D needs to respect it. Defenses are stacking up within 10 yards of the LOS on every play. They know that if it is a run, they will be up near the LOS in time to minimize the gain. If it is a pass, it is likely going to be a short dumpoff that can again be defended with 8 men in the box.

Playing Chad at QB is like showing up to a war without tanks. Sure, we might still win some battles, but we are at a significant disadvantage because we do not have a weapon that should be in our arsenal. The threat of the deep pass is a weapon. It forces the safeties to respect it and stay back, thus opening up the running game. It allows the team to be more dynamic. Again, you don't need to throw the ball deep all the time, in fact you don't even have to do it much at all. You just need to ensure that the D knows you can, and if they cheat like they are now it can cost them 7 points.

YOU ARE 100% CORRECT, and BY the WAY GET RID OF MANGINI AS WELL. Buy Him Out and SIGN COWER!!!!

Woody is too damn cheap. During his ownership, he has signed 3 coaches NONE of them with NFL Head Coaching experience. I would love to have BC here...It simply won't happen. We're stuck with Tangini for a painful while.

If you're gonna be a dink and dunk game mananger who's forte is being a "smart" QB then you simply cant throw these stupid INT's right out of Testaverde's book on a consistent basis. Ive seen it far too often from chad. And its not like he can make up for it on the next drive witha 50 yard strike so it magnifies his mistakes.

yes and I am sick and tired of hearing how smart Penny ism cause if he was , he wouldn't have thrown that freakin INT! The guy can't read the defense and he can't throw the ball past the LBs. Let's get KC in there NOW.

Woody is too damn cheap. During his ownership, he has signed 3 coaches NONE of them with NFL Head Coaching experience. I would love to have BC here...It simply won't happen. We're stuck with Tangini for a painful while.

With Cower running our Team we would already have been in the SB and most likely more than just once!

I know a am wishful thinking but we need a football guy whose proven.

The interceptions are inevitable. The second interception was dumb, but Chad really is smart, and accurate, and has great touch. But when the defense has no respect for your arm strength, they will stack up, take away your ability to run the ball and eventually they will jump a route (like the first interception). This all gets magnified by all of the third down conversions Chad has to convert because the Jets have no big plays. It puts so much pressure on Chad to be perfect. The other thing is it takes so long for the Jets to score. The Jets would not have been in that desparate situation at the end if they just completed one medium range pass.

It's not all about the deep pass. It's the ability to force defenses to at least respect it. Nobody is saying that we need to throw every pass 30+ yards downfield. But when that possibility is there the D needs to respect it. Defenses are stacking up within 10 yards of the LOS on every play. They know that if it is a run, they will be up near the LOS in time to minimize the gain. If it is a pass, it is likely going to be a short dumpoff that can again be defended with 8 men in the box.

Playing Chad at QB is like showing up to a war without tanks. Sure, we might still win some battles, but we are at a significant disadvantage because we do not have a weapon that should be in our arsenal. The threat of the deep pass is a weapon. It forces the safeties to respect it and stay back, thus opening up the running game. It allows the team to be more dynamic. Again, you don't need to throw the ball deep all the time, in fact you don't even have to do it much at all. You just need to ensure that the D knows you can, and if they cheat like they are now it can cost them 7 points.

I dont expect Chad to throw the ball downfield every play every week. I feel the same as you, you have to push the ball downfield to keep things honest, sometimes you get a pss interference call. In 3 games Chad has played this year I dont think we ran one go-route in any game.

My biggest problem with Chad is that he is reluctant to throw the ball beyond 10 yards. If its 3rd and 10 he throws a 5 yard route. or he dumps off. That is his bigger problem than throwing it way down field.

The interceptions are inevitable. The second interception was dumb, but Chad really is smart, and accurate, and has great touch. But when the defense has no respect for your arm strength, they will stack up, take away your ability to run the ball and eventually they will jump a route (like the first interception). This all gets magnified by all of the third down conversions Chad has to convert because the Jets have no big plays. It puts so much pressure on Chad to be perfect. The other thing is it takes so long for the Jets to score. The Jets would not have been in that desparate situation at the end if they just completed one medium range pass.

Sorry, I am not saying Chad is a moron, but this "smart, cerebral" QB moniker that people have given him is a gross exaggeration. Many of his INTs are stupid decisions that shouldnt be made at all. I am not telling you he has to be perfect and should have 0 INTs every year, but He threw 16 INTs last year, 16. Lets not forget that.

Im not gonna crap on the guy and tell you he sucks, he is a solid QB, but I dont know if solid is good enough.

I agree. Everybody wants to blame Pennington's chicken arm, but that last pick was just a stupid throw. He either got hit or wasn't able to step into it, but even with his arm he should have been able to make a better throw. The first pick you can blame on his arm, though he sure looked to be staring down that out the entire time.

Dink and dunk is okay, but you simply can't make mistakes and there are many more opportunities for mistakes when it takes 30 plays to get down field than five.

If you're gonna be a dink and dunk game mananger who's forte is being a "smart" QB then you simply cant throw these stupid INT's right out of Testaverde's book on a consistent basis.

100% correct. For a guy who is supposed to be so cerebral he sure does throw alot of gutless interceptions.

I can't blame the defense for yesterday, despite their problems. You gotta score more than 14 points to get a win in this league.

With Cower running our Team we would already have been in the SB and most likely more than just once!

I am not ready to abandon Mangini. Certainly not for hairlip Cowher. Is Lovie Smith suddenly a bum becuase of the Bears' problems? How about Sean Payton because of the Saints problems? This is the NFL. Things change quickly. Let's see how Mangini reacts to adversity.

Cowher won one SB in 15 years (not sure of exact number), so how exactly do you come to the conclusion that he would get the Jets to the SB? Cowhers teams $hit the bed as much as Schottenheimers (with one exception)

POTW nom for this line alone;

Playing Chad at QB is like showing up to a war without tanks

Archived