lancemehl hates the 3-4 [MERGED 6X]

lancemehl

If 80% of the NFL play one style and 20% play another. And out of that 20%, each team had variables we don't. We are much more consistent with the other 80%.

What in the world, besides "stubborness" aka "Being a Jackass" would make a HC follow the 20%?

Is there stt that 3-4's have won more Super Bowls. Is is like Macintosh,far superior computer, but more expensive and is geared toward "specfic people", in Mac's case it's Musicians,artists,graphic designers.......

In the 3-4's case it's 350 lb NT's, OLB's that can get to the QB,ILB's that can take on FB's.....

Somebody make a case for me. i'm a Jet fan,like you guys. Make me understand.Why?

Why is he doing this to our defense?????I'm on my knees begging for someone to tell me WHY WE ARE GOING 3-4 and sending years to do it right, when we had great 4-3 players and neeed a puzzle piece here and there.Revis and a pass rushing DE and we were a baddass 4-3. D-Rob could've held his own, which reminds me, How about Pouha, showed something, didn't he. He would look nice next to DRob with Ellis on one side, our 2nd round stud on the other.

ps.

Or at #4 instead of Brick.......(slap in the face...reality).....sorry,I won't even. Nobody's perfect. We all liked th Brick Mangold move, so, just had to say it.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

80% may play a 4-3, so what???

When a 3-4 is executed properly it is devastating, even the elite offences struggle vs great 3-4's (Manning says hello!).

I would prefer a good 3-4 D over a good 4-3 D, there is so much more you can do with it. We are just soooo bad in one or two of the key positions (NT is the most important) and that is holding us back.

We are 1 or 2 top players (a good NT and a good outside Pass rusher) away from a great D. D-Rob could move to 3-4 End which I think he would be awesome at.

If 80% of the NFL play one style and 20% play another. And out of that 20%, each team had variables we don't. We are much more consistent with the other 80%.

What in the world, besides "stubborness" aka "Being a Jackass" would make a HC follow the 20%?

Is there stt that 3-4's have won more Super Bowls. Is is like Macintosh,far superior computer, but more expensive and is geared toward "specfic people", in Mac's case it's Musicians,artists,graphic designers.......

In the 3-4's case it's 350 lb NT's, OLB's that can get to the QB,ILB's that can take on FB's.....

Somebody make a case for me. i'm a Jet fan,like you guys. Make me understand.Why?

Why is he doing this to our defense?????I'm on my knees begging for someone to tell me WHY WE ARE GOING 3-4 and sending years to do it right, when we had great 4-3 players and neeed a puzzle piece here and there.Revis and a pass rushing DE and we were a baddass 4-3. D-Rob could've held his own, which reminds me, How about Pouha, showed something, didn't he. He would look nice next to DRob with Ellis on one side, our 2nd round stud on the other.

ps.

Or at #4 instead of Brick.......(slap in the face...reality).....sorry,I won't even. Nobody's perfect. We all liked th Brick Mangold move, so, just had to say it.

To some extent I agree... I understand that Mangini likes the 3-4 because it utilizes certaon players' versatality especially at the OLB/DE positions. However, you have to do whatever is going to help you win. For example, the Pats are primarily a 3-4 team, but when he likes the matchups and wants to generate more pressure with his DL, he'll play with mostly four downed lineman, like he did with the Jets in week 2 last year. I also understand that Mangini wants to be able to run a 3-4 week in week out as the base defense, and at some point I think that we will be able to, but we're not there yet. I think Mangini has to realize this so we can win some games this year with the team we have.

When Mangini first came to the Jets, one of his first quotes about the Defense was "I'm going to run whatever helps us win that week, whether it's a 4-3, 3-4, 2-6, or whatever the case may be, if it's going to help us win, that's what we're going to play". That quote was in my sig for a while now, and unfortunately I think Mangini has gotten away from that frame of mind, which is not a good thing.

Is there stt that 3-4's have won more Super Bowls.

Well all I know is that 4 of the last 5 ran a 3-4.

Pittsburgh and New England.

A Good 3-4 > A good 4-3.

There is soooooo much more looks that a 3-4 D brings. Look at Pittsburgh, Baltimore, New England, San Diego and Dallas!!

We were a decent 4-3, maybe in 2005 with Ferguson & D-Rob we were good enough but that was the best it got!!!

And I dont see a John Abraham pass rusher on this team. Maybe lancemehl does?

Oh yeah, Bryan Thomas right? Yeah, he was terrific in the 4-3.

We were a decent 4-3, maybe in 2005 with Ferguson & D-Rob we were good enough but that was the best it got!!!

IJ they couldnt stop the run in 2005 either. 29th in rush defense, and 23rd in scoring defense.

The jets ranked higher in pass defense only because they couldnt stop the rush, so everyone ran on them.

But this CS has done NOTHING to put some new blood in the middle of the DL to stem the tide.

IJ they couldnt stop the run in 2005 either. 29th in rush defense, and 23rd in scoring defense.

The jets ranked higher in pass defense only because they couldnt stop the rush, so everyone ran on them.

But this CS has done NOTHING to put some new blood in the middle of the DL to stem the tide.

Maybe I was thinking about 2004.

The year we made the PO's and beat SD, we had a pretty Good D that year, That was the year were we had Ferguson and D-Rob.

Yes, that was 2004, and ferguson was on the Jets.

I'd like to make the argument that had they kept him, the run D would have been a lot better, but once you give a guy a new contract, his productivity sometimes goes down (see B.Thomas).

These guys are millionaires, and i dont think the pain of a bad season hurts them inside as much as it hurts the fans.

Similarly, i think the fans are a lot more involved in the Jets-Giants rivalry this week than the players are.

This isn't Madden. I suggest you read Buggs reply. At least twice.

I haven't played Madden since the late 90's, besides once or twice, unbelievable on HD!!!!

But Tecmo Bowl, now that's my game.

Why does over 80% of the NFL play the 3-4?

Why was Vilma good enough to take a high price FA like Sam Cowart's job by INJURY, who(Cowart) by the way, was playing well before he got hurt.

Vilma, a rookie stepped in to Sam Cowart's spot and STOLE the job, had a FANTASTIC rookie year and in UM playing cover 2 we won't even talk about. But then POOF!! The genius shows up and Vilmas "too small to be a playmaker" lol your kidding me.

Zach Thomas(too small) I'm too tired to do the research but I could name 10 great MLB smaller than Vilma playing today. Please.

Yes, that was 2004, and ferguson was on the Jets.

I'd like to make the argument that had they kept him, the run D would have been a lot better, but once you give a guy a new contract, his productivity sometimes goes down (see B.Thomas).

These guys are millionaires, and i dont think the pain of a bad season hurts them inside as much as it hurts the fans.

Similarly, i think the fans are a lot more involved in the Jets-Giants rivalry this week than the players are.

I miss Jason Ferguson, he showed in Dallas he could be a force in a 3-4. i know he's injured now but this D would be much much better with a player like him on the team.

Irish, my memory aint what it used to be, but i remember a LOT of people saying they'd regret letting Ferguson get away, specifically for the reason that he worked so well with Vilma.

Exactly right, he could get through unblocked so often it was unreal.

I wasnt on any of these forums at that time so was unsure of the majority's reaction. I personally was very very pissed!!!

Some on the forum, but i was also thinking of the media and call in sports shows, where knowledgeable fans were talking about it.

Unfortunately, the Jets have a bad, TERRIBLE history of letting guys get away (Randy Thomas is another), blowing draft picks, and throwing money at the wrong guys.

BTW I found Sutton's replacement today.

Lou_Looter_Minn_150.gif

except that I don't think DRob is quite as bad as most here and I don't think there were any legit guys around either in the draft or FA..

The tragedy is, we gave up the farm, we Ditka/Ricky williams-ed him and then Never got to see what he had. He was playing well, but not now. Now he is out of the basic camera view within 3 seconds on a pass play when they follow the QB's drop.

We'll never now how good our Hershel Walker would've been if he played his position. DT

Honestly though - Vilma and Drob certainly need to go. Trade them both in the offseason, get picks.

Yeah, that's a great plan. Trade away picks to move up to #4 and get a 4-3 monster DT, then pick a STUD 4-3 MLB with # 12. Put them in a defense where they look like crap for two straight years, and THEN trade them!!! Good Move.

Don't say, "Hey, we are going to run a 3-4 D-Rob is a recent #4 overall who is far from a bust yet and Vilma was an ABSOLUTE TERROR in this league last year and the years before when UM won the championship. They will suck in the 4-3 so let's trade them now to the 80% of the league that plays 4-3 and we could get AWESOME Picks or maybe awesome 3-4 guys who are stuck in a 4-3."

"NO,that's a dumb idea", says the genius, "no, I want to watch their stock drop like a lead balloon,first!" LOL

are you kidding me???!!!!!

God damn, you are annoying.

I got news for you, the defense in 2006 > the defense in 2005. That is a fact.

Kerry Rhodes had an all pro season in the 3-4 defense last year, so what exactly are you f'ing yelling about with that?

And Drob was a JAG in the 4-3 as well. And if Vilma was so good, he would be productive in any defensive system.

He just isnt very good, get over it.

How exactly does Vilma suck when he won the starting job from high priced Sam Cowart as a rookie?

I'm annoying you.am I? That usually means one thing, you know? I'm right. You're wrong. lololol

Yeah, that's a great plan. Trade away picks to move up to #4 and get a 4-3 monster DT, then pick a STUD 4-3 MLB with # 12. Put them in a defense where they look like crap for two straight years, and THEN trade them!!! Good Move.

Don't say, "Hey, we are going to run a 3-4 D-Rob is a recent #4 overall who is far from a bust yet and Vilma was an ABSOLUTE TERROR in this league last year and the years before when UM won the championship. They will suck in the 4-3 so let's trade them now to the 80% of the league that plays 4-3 and we could get AWESOME Picks or maybe awesome 3-4 guys who are stuck in a 4-3."

"NO,that's a dumb idea", says the genius, "no, I want to watch their stock drop like a lead balloon,first!" LOL

Lou says to tell you he agrees with you.

Lou_Looter_Minn_150.gif

lancemehl please put your future "I hate the 3-4 defense" threads in here instead of creating new ones.

No problem, buddy, here's a new one.

So, basically we are all saying what?:

1. Our goose is cooked this year, until we get more pieces, get rid of the trash likeVilma and Drob?

2. Is this group gonna gel, we just need to play Harris and bench that waste Vilma?

3. Should we go ALL rebuilding,play Pouha at NT(he had a good goaline stand),Harris at LB, and Clemens at QB?

What's the verdict? I want to know what to expect. Barton, a little help? I know you know.

I haven't played Madden since the late 90's, besides once or twice, unbelievable on HD!!!!

But Tecmo Bowl, now that's my game.

Why does over 80% of the NFL play the 3-4?

Why was Vilma good enough to take a high price FA like Sam Cowart's job by INJURY, who(Cowart) by the way, was playing well before he got hurt.

Vilma, a rookie stepped in to Sam Cowart's spot and STOLE the job, had a FANTASTIC rookie year and in UM playing cover 2 we won't even talk about. But then POOF!! The genius shows up and Vilmas "too small to be a playmaker" lol your kidding me.

Zach Thomas(too small) I'm too tired to do the research but I could name 10 great MLB smaller than Vilma playing today. Please.

Sam Cowart was an overpaid mistake that was brought in to play OLB because he was a Ted (another 3-4 guy) Cottrell player from the Bills. He was okay, but not as expected (as good as pre-achilles). I believe he was a 3-4 ILB. In typical Herm fashion he was asked to play out of position and then dumped for a #7. The Jets didn't draft Vilma twelfth overall to "steal" a job, they drafted him to start.

You can name 10 great MLB smaller than Vilma playing today? First of all you can't name 10 great MLB. They simply don't exist. Secondly, I doubt there are 10 starting LB smaller than Vilma, let alone "great MLB".

How exactly does Vilma suck when he won the starting job from high priced Sam Cowart as a rookie?

I'm annoying you.am I? That usually means one thing, you know? I'm right. You're wrong. lololol

:rl:

Sam Cowart sucked, and Vilma didnt replace him until Cowart got hurt. Cowart started the opening game of the season in 2004, and got hurt a week or 2 later, opening up Vilma to take over.

If you are gonna argue with me at least get some basic things correct.

You tell me. Honestly.

Yup. The main issue is rampant overrating of the Jets players in the 4-3.

well we know they suck in the 3-4 if they are overrated in te 4-3 and they are ALL 1st and 2nd rounders , then we have a defense full of busts.

Ellis- 1st round- according to you overrated in 4-3, ineffective in 3-4= BUST

DRob- 1st(we know the deal, don't make me say Ditka/Williams again)-according to you overrated in 4-3, ineffective in 3-4= BUST

Coleman- 5th round-not bad in 3-4

Hobson-2nd Round-according to you overrated in 4-3, ineffective in 3-4= BUST

Vilma- 1st round-aty overrated in 4-3, ineffective in 3-4= BUST

Barton- don't know when drafted but was very good in the 4-3, I mean you named yourself after him, Barton, and I now that wasn't based on the last 22 games. Anyone who could watch the last season and 1/4 and say "Barton's the man! ", well.

BThomas- 1st Round- from the might UAB--sucked in 4-3, I have seen nothing this year at all in 3-4, a flash last year- BUST

Revis - 1st round- I loved him, got picked on a bit last game, but nobody could cover an NFL receiver for 8 seconds.So could the 3-4 actually make Revis suck just like it did to our bad a$$ rookie Vilma?OHHHNOOO! good CB, but not when you give a guy like Trent Edwards time he'll ruin a kid's career. Just imagine a first stringer, or, even worse, a GOOD first stringer. Damm, well, talk to Jon about it,kid, sorry.

Dyson-2nd round- you say overrated severely in 4-3, can't even beat out Barrett to start in 3-4-don't say inury he was in all the pass packages.=BUST

So, with all due respect, 27, by that logic, aren't we saying our whole defense, for the most part are Busts.

I thought they just sucked for this scheme so the plan was drag them all through 2 horrible seasons, drop their trade value and then trade them for 4th or 5th round 3-4 guys, but now, if you are right and they suck, even in the 4-3, then theyare all busts,right?

Unless they play a 2-9 or something.

well we know they suck in the 3-4 if they are overrated in te 4-3 and they are ALL 1st and 2nd rounders , then we have a defense full of busts.

Ellis- 1st round- according to you overrated in 4-3, ineffective in 3-4= BUST

DRob- 1st(we know the deal, don't make me say Ditka/Williams again)-according to you overrated in 4-3, ineffective in 3-4= BUST

Coleman- 5th round-not bad in 3-4

Hobson-2nd Round-according to you overrated in 4-3, ineffective in 3-4= BUST

Vilma- 1st round-aty overrated in 4-3, ineffective in 3-4= BUST

Barton- don't know when drafted but was very good in the 4-3, I mean you named yourself after him, Barton, and I now that wasn't based on the last 22 games. Anyone who could watch the last season and 1/4 and say "Barton's the man! ", well.

BThomas- 1st Round- from the might UAB--sucked in 4-3, I have seen nothing this year at all in 3-4, a flash last year- BUST

Revis - 1st round- I loved him, got picked on a bit last game, but nobody could cover an NFL receiver for 8 seconds.So could the 3-4 actually make Revis suck just like it did to our bad a$$ rookie Vilma?OHHHNOOO! good CB, but not when you give a guy like Trent Edwards time he'll ruin a kid's career. Just imagine a first stringer, or, even worse, a GOOD first stringer. Damm, well, talk to Jon about it,kid, sorry.

Dyson-2nd round- you say overrated severely in 4-3, can't even beat out Barrett to start in 3-4-don't say inury he was in all the pass packages.=BUST

So, with all due respect, 27, by that logic, aren't we saying our whole defense, for the most part are Busts.

I thought they just sucked for this scheme so the plan was drag them all through 2 horrible seasons, drop their trade value and then trade them for 4th or 5th round 3-4 guys, but now, if you are right and they suck, even in the 4-3, then theyare all busts,right?

Unless they play a 2-9 or something.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, not sure--just going to give

Jon Vilma is a bust? Over-rated in the 4-3? I think you're the one that hasn't been watching the same Jets game as the rest of us. Say what you will about D-rob and the rest, but to say J-Vilma is over-rated in a 4-3 is sheer insanity.

Dyson--To imply he's completely healthy is far-fetched. Theres a reason he was the #1 last year, OVER Barrett(not beaten out by Barrett). Somethings amiss this season, or else he'd be #1 easily.

I also see you just so happened to leave off Kerry Rhodes. Although I'm sure his lack of play making this year makes him a bust as well, even though it's hard to make plays when no one other than 2 rookies can even make an occational play in the system.

Last player I'll touch on -- Hobson, who all in all has been a bust, but at least last week he showed some signs of life.

Here are some facts about this defense. It's hard to do anything when you can't stop the massively overrated Ronnie Brown. D-rob has talent, obviously, but everyone can agree he's not a 3-4 guy. We've still failed to replace Abraham, which in turn effects Ellis, and thus--you have a pretty garbage front 3. That, in turn, effects your linebackers, who cant make the plays they should in a 3-4 because of the linemen getting to each of them, the smaller ones in particular(Vilma).

Once in a while we actually see some life from the front 7, though. However, it's at that exact moment the QB decides to pick up a get out of 3rd down-free card, in Mr. David Barrett. Say Dysons garbage, whatever...but if it cant be seen that theres much better, consistent CB play when he's in, then I dont know what to say.

In the end, other than the occasional Rhodes, Dyson, or (hopefully in the near future) Revis?, this defense is very anti-clutch. You wont win many games that way

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, not sure--just going to give

Jon Vilma is a bust? Over-rated in the 4-3? I think you're the one that hasn't been watching the same Jets game as the rest of us. Say what you will about D-rob and the rest, but to say J-Vilma is over-rated in a 4-3 is sheer insanity.

Dyson--To imply he's completely healthy is far-fetched. Theres a reason he was the #1 last year, OVER Barrett(not beaten out by Barrett). Somethings amiss this season, or else he'd be #1 easily.

I also see you just so happened to leave off Kerry Rhodes. Although I'm sure his lack of play making this year makes him a bust as well, even though it's hard to make plays when no one other than 2 rookies can even make an occational play in the system.

Last player I'll touch on -- Hobson, who all in all has been a bust, but at least last week he showed some signs of life.

Here are some facts about this defense. It's hard to do anything when you can't stop the massively overrated Ronnie Brown. D-rob has talent, obviously, but everyone can agree he's not a 3-4 guy. We've still failed to replace Abraham, which in turn effects Ellis, and thus--you have a pretty garbage front 3. That, in turn, effects your linebackers, who cant make the plays they should in a 3-4 because of the linemen getting to each of them, the smaller ones in particular(Vilma).

Once in a while we actually see some life from the front 7, though. However, it's at that exact moment the QB decides to pick up a get out of 3rd down-free card, in Mr. David Barrett. Say Dysons garbage, whatever...but if it cant be seen that theres much better, consistent CB play when he's in, then I dont know what to say.

In the end, other than the occasional Rhodes, Dyson, or (hopefully in the near future) Revis?, this defense is very anti-clutch. You wont win many games that way

yes you are missing something. Read the post I'm replying to(if i remembered.)

I have said (6xmerged said) that we have a great defense in the 4-3. They are full of 1st ad 2nd rounders and Vilma, I love!!!! He's a STUD in the 4-3,but I was told that I am severely overrating our players in the 4-3,I was told they sucked even in the 4-3, so my conclusion can only be that they are all busts since they suck obviously in the 3-4 and now I'm told in the 4-3 as well, then they are all 1st and 2nd round busts. Get it now?

Yes I left out the safeties because they are not affectd by the 3-4(which are the numbers in the front 7,by the way) except that they get more tackles. The corners are more affected because they have to chase an NFL receiver around for 10 seconds because our "front 7" can't gt near the QB in this scheme with these players. Got that?

OK Dyson isn't healthy, forget anything I said about the corners, too, except that our stud CB got picked on by a Nobody 2nd stringer. Why? 3-4, Mangini/Sutton style, not the great 3-4's Irish likes to speak of(Steelers,Pats,old Giants) the kind with a 310lb soaking wet NT and no blitzing.(no creative blitzing,I should say, not enough to rattle a 2nd string rookie at least,he was as poised as Montana on Super Bowl Sunday,Baby,no confusion at all. Great Defense this Man/Sutton 3-4 is!

That why i wrote "according to you" before each one, but I have given up after 6 merged posts I think everyone knows where i stand.

Oh, this mightshock you though, I don't like Eric angini as a head football coach in the NFL. Bring it on!That's my stance.

Apparently, the dumbest move Mangini & co. ever made was getting us to the playoffs last year. This is a rebuilding team. It takes time to build a contender. It takes time to switch a system.

But because they managed to do really well last year (even with a soft schedule, that came as a lightning bolt from a clear sky) everyone is now demanding that we make the playoffs and play great fotball?

Going back to 4-3 is not a magic, instant fix solution. Pursue the right players with determination, and send the players that don't fit packing.

Oh, this might shock you though, I don't like Eric angini as a head football coach in the NFL. Bring it on!That's my stance.

Actually, I can understand that at this point.

If you hate the 3-4, if you hate seeing Pennington in there, if you hate the conservative style this season, if you hate the personnel decisions he's made, if you hate his choice at DC, then it is understandable that you would hate the job he's doing here this season.

I have said (6xmerged said) that we have a great defense in the 4-3.

You are wrong. We do not have a great defense period. Last year we were sixth in points allowed. SIXTH! I don't know about you, but that's how I rate defenses. Some of that was the schedule and they certainly weren't dominant, but I'm willing to forgive some growing pains since they obviously did a decent job with similar players last year.

They are full of 1st ad 2nd rounders and Vilma, I love!!!! He's a STUD in the 4-3,but I was told that I am severely overrating our players in the 4-3,I was told they sucked even in the 4-3, so my conclusion can only be that they are all busts since they suck obviously in the 3-4 and now I'm told in the 4-3 as well, then they are all 1st and 2nd round busts. Get it now?

Every player on the team is not a bust, but they are not going to suddenly break out and become monsters because we switch to 4-3. IMO Vilma is not a stud. Just a nice little player. Who cares where they were drafted? Barton, Coleman, Dyson, were all FAs. Revis is the only one you list that's a pick of this adminstration and he, Dyson and Coleman the only ones they chose. Note, they all seem to perform well in the system.

If you watched the games you'd note that we often play 4-3 and that if your plan is to simply have Thomas put his hand in the dirt THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE. It's the same 11 guys and with Thomas at DE and Barton at OLB THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE

Yes I left out the safeties because they are not affectd by the 3-4(which are the numbers in the front 7,by the way) except that they get more tackles. The corners are more affected because they have to chase an NFL receiver around for 10 seconds because our "front 7" can't gt near the QB in this scheme with these players. Got that?

Exactly. It's the same seven players, so how they are going to find it easier to get the QB in the 4-3? I think the "Vilma needs protection" argument for the running game is a crock but at least it has some logic behind it. How many sacks did any of these guys get in the 4-3? Your only possible point would be that guys like Bowens and Ellis *might* get to the qb, but I haven't seen anything from either to indicate that the scheme is holding them back. They will have the same opportunity to get to the QB since they send 4-5 guys most every play anyway. I can see complaining about Sutton and saying the blitz packages and calls are poorly conceived because it's not working now, but the 3-4 is not the problem. The main difference in getting to the qb is the loss of JAbe who most of these guys hated anyway.

Archived