Possible Day 1 Draft Picks for Jets on Defense in '08

jetfuel

I'm just bringing up some names that I could see fitting the Jet's Defense that could go on Day 1 of the draft. People to keep an eye on.

DE - Chris Long - 6'4 282 - Virginia

DE - Kendall Langford - 6'5 290 - Hampton

DT - Frank Okam - 6'5 318 - Texas

OLB - Shawn Crable - 6'4 243 - Michigan

DE/OLB - Derrick Harvey- 6'4 250 - Florida

CB - Mike Jenkins - 5'11 202 - South Florida

CB - Dejuan Tribble - 5'9 181 - Boston College

CB - Chevis Jackson - 6'0 185 - LSU

i wouldn't mind another Michigan alum...but please no DT at 318. If we draft a DT that ways less than my house i am not watching football next year.

First off, I've also seen him listed at 328. The guy is a beast and is the only DT that could conceivably play NT in the first 3 or 4 rounds. If they decide to not go with him, they may be able to find some beasts on day 2 and hope that they work out. There are definitely some MOOSE in the later rounds. They just better either keep D-Rob or get someone else to share time with a guy that big. Stamina can be a problem.

I do like the idea of grabbing Long or Crable though. It depends on where they are picking too as we all know. There are still 8 games left.

I want Chris Long, if we don't pick Chris Long I will cry.

He's looking like a top-5. I'd love for them to get him. Let's see what happens in the second half of the year. There are a lot of bad teams and the Jets are actually not as bad as a 1-7 team, talent-wise. They may be more like a 4-4 team. Since they haven't played like it, maybe they will get a top-5.

Are these just seniors or are juniors included too, cause we would have to wait to see who declares, hopefully there is a big DT who'll declare and make our lives easier next year.

Other wise based on the list i'd take chris long if he is there, otherwise just trade down to get in position to draft that RT from BC

Gosder...something

thats more vital to the Jets IMO

i wouldn't mind another Michigan alum...but please no DT at 318. If we draft a DT that ways less than my house i am not watching football next year.

I don't think he would have a problem bulking up. Most players add weight after they reach the NFL. They just have to make sure it's muscle and not just fat.

I'm just bringing up some names that I could see fitting the Jet's Defense that could go on Day 1 of the draft. People to keep an eye on.

DE - Chris Long - 6'4 282 - Virginia

DE - Kendall Langford - 6'5 290 - Hampton

DT - Frank Okam - 6'5 318 - Texas

OLB - Shawn Crable - 6'4 243 - Michigan

DE/OLB - Derrick Harvey- 6'4 250 - Florida

CB - Mike Jenkins - 5'11 202 - South Florida

CB - Dejuan Tribble - 5'9 181 - Boston College

CB - Chevis Jackson - 6'0 185 - LSU

I wouldn't mind us drafting Okam's Texas team mate DT Henry Smith on the 2nd day. At 318 he's good in run support and worth a look in the later rounds.

I wouldn't mind us drafting Okam's Texas team mate DT Henry Smith on the 2nd day. At 318 he's good in run support and worth a look in the later rounds.

He's 6'5", so 318 or even 328 isn't that big in terms of DT size. For the 3-4 D you'drather have a 6'1" DT who weights around 340+. Round is much better than tall and lanky.

Is it me or did last year's draft of defensive players seem a lot more sexy? I would have LOVED to get some of the defensive players in the top 10 last year (gaines adams, landry, okoye) but I'm not anywhere near as thrilled about Long, harvey and crable. Granted I don't want too much college football, just an observation.

Okam has a questionable motor and is too tall for NT so forget about it.

as for Chris Long

he's the goods. basically a faster, quicker Carriker who makes more plays and defeats more blockers. He's one of the rare sons of NFL greats who could be just as good as his pops (Kellen Winslow Jr. comes to mind) - most of the time the sons of rich NFL'ers are soft, howie raised his kid right. Long has a non stop motor, splits double teams, knocks down passes and has about 10 sacks at the time of this post. he does things that inspire his other teammates and is a game changing player. the guy is a beeeeeast and a perfect fit for Mangini's program.

his downside is a smallish wingspan and possibly undersized but my guess is he will bulk up during draft offseason and weigh in around 300 by combine time. If i had to guess at the Jets draft pick 7 months in advance I'd say Chris Long is a best bet.

Are these just seniors or are juniors included too, cause we would have to wait to see who declares, hopefully there is a big DT who'll declare and make our lives easier next year.

Other wise based on the list i'd take chris long if he is there, otherwise just trade down to get in position to draft that RT from BC

Gosder...something

thats more vital to the Jets IMO

This has juniors included. I agree they need a RT as well. I was just going with the Defensive names for now. Gosder Cherilius from BC is the guy you're talking about. As far as I know he is projected late 1st/ early 2nd so it's a possibility.

Is it me or did last year's draft of defensive players seem a lot more sexy? I would have LOVED to get some of the defensive players in the top 10 last year (gaines adams, landry, okoye) but I'm not anywhere near as thrilled about Long, harvey and crable. Granted I don't want too much college football, just an observation.

If you don't watch college football clearly nobody is going to seem as good as last year. That won't happen till january when Mel Kiper starts getting air time and hypes up ever player imaginable. Chris Long is legit and if we have a chance to get him and pass I will kill the front office.

as for Chris Long

he's the goods. basically a faster, quicker Carriker who makes more plays and defeats more blockers. He's one of the rare sons of NFL greats who could be just as good as his pops (Kellen Winslow Jr. comes to mind) - most of the time the sons of rich NFL'ers are soft, howie raised his kid right. Long has a non stop motor, splits double teams, knocks down passes and has about 10 sacks at the time of this post. he does things that inspire his other teammates and is a game changing player. the guy is a beeeeeast and a perfect fit for Mangini's program.

his downside is a smallish wingspan and possibly undersized but my guess is he will bulk up during draft offseason and weigh in around 300 by combine time. If i had to guess at the Jets draft pick 7 months in advance I'd say Chris Long is a best bet.

please no projects here

by combine time if he has the highest grade..then fine we draft him

I do not pass on a player who has a higher grade, i want BAP all the way

we have so many holes, the dutch boy would run out of toes

let's hope he is better than your butcher with a bowling ball

as for Chris Long

he is not too tall he is just not big as in he only weighs 310

he is not too tall he is just not big as in he only weighs 310

I have faith in this FO relative to the draft. Mistakes have been made, no doubt, but bringing in Harris and Revis is a good start. Two or three more young defenders next year and the Jets will once again be on the ascent.

#97 Jason Shirley

Ht: 6-5 Wt: 330

Position: DT Date of Birth: 9/30/1985

Class: RS - Senior High School: Henry J. Kaiser HS(Fontana, CA)

College:Fresno State

You want this guy on the first day? Seems like the right body for NT, but has not exactly been dominating. He's been suspended twice in 2007 alone, so I'm betting the Jets won't go near him. Seems like a guy to take a flyer on, but it's not our style. Can't see him going before the second day from what I read anyway.

This has juniors included. I agree they need a RT as well. I was just going with the Defensive names for now. Gosder Cherilius from BC is the guy you're talking about. As far as I know he is projected late 1st/ early 2nd so it's a possibility.

i saw on a the mock draft on nfldraftcountdown.com that Cherilius was slated for right around the ten slot, they have him going to Oakland at 11 in their latest but he's jumped around and the jets taking Long at 7.

i can say that either Long or Cherilius would be fine with me, but how about james Laurenitis(?) as an ILB to replace Barton, i know its not the biggest are of need, but it would help our pretty weak lb corp and a move i can see us making.

anybody know anything about him to justify that move?

He's 6'5", so 318 or even 328 isn't that big in terms of DT size. For the 3-4 D you'drather have a 6'1" DT who weights around 340+. Round is much better than tall and lanky.

My bad ! I mean Henry Smith from Texas A&M. He's 6' 2.5" and weighs 318. Worth a second day look IMO.

You want this guy on the first day? Seems like the right body for NT, but has not exactly been dominating. He's been suspended twice in 2007 alone, so I'm betting the Jets won't go near him. Seems like a guy to take a flyer on, but it's not our style. Can't see him going before the second day from what I read anyway.

i know but if he bulks up in TC upto 340-350. imagine a NT 6-5 350lb

wow. ted washington anybody

i know but if he bulks up in TC upto 340-350. imagine a NT 6-5 350lb

wow. ted washington anybody

even if we take a chance in the 3rd round. if he is a bust than we only waste a 3rd rounder

hermy spent a 1st for doug jolly

Eh. I can't see buring a first day pick on a guy that only played a handful of games his senior year. He doesn't seem to fit the plan at all. I think he's projected to go 5th-6th round and I'm tired of reaching. Sure he seems like a good candidate, but so did Walter Thomas and he went undrafted, got cut in minicamp and I don't even think he got invited to a camp. Nobody is gaining any weight in TC either. That's when guys are burning weight off. Especially in a Mangini camp. It's almost impossible to put on 10-20 pounds doing 2 a days. You're right he could pack on some weight, but if he's bucking for a draft slot he'd be more likely to cut weight and work on his speed times to move up. Intriguing guy, but I doubt we go near him. Like you, I'd love guys like this on the second day and jump on him if undrafted, but they probably will ignore him at all costs. The FO can get quite a bit of heat for drafted third round busts--Eric Schlegel anybody?

Don't go saying the Jolley deal was for a first, you'll get Bit in an uproar. It was a swap of a late first for a second, plus we threw in a seventh and got two in the sixth. I think it amounted to a third or fourth round pick. We compounded the feeling of loss, by picking a kicker in the second, so we felt like we were missing all our picks at the top. I don't think it was much different than what we gave up for Thomas Jones, in fact, maybe a little less.

Archived