So you are the GM

Deb

I had a great answer but got transfixed by Deb's avatar picture now I lost my train of thought...oh yea there are no short term fixes available at this point-wait until the season ends and start filling out pink slips for half the team and one defensive co-ordinator

Hire a consultant team consisting of Dan Reeves Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells to figure out what direction this team really needs to take to win a championship. Not be satisifed to eak out a playoff appearance but CHAMPIONSHIP.. not scared of tearing things down but have a true mission that does not consist of band aids.

You just won the lottery.......you bought the team...........what moves are you going to make in the next 48 hours? Just curious.

Well, in 48 hours there isn't much I could do now that Clemens is Qb. I would find out who can play on the d line at nt though. I would probably also play some schemes that suit my players talents, but not much else. As far as next year goes though, I would do this.

If Kellen is starting material I trade my 1st round pick to dallas for their 2 firsts I take the best available players from the following positions O line, D line, LB, CB. Then I spend some coin in FA and sign players that actually fit my schemes.

If Kellen is not starting material I take the best QB available. And try and trade Kellen.

Hire a consultant team consisting of Dan Reeves Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells to figure out what direction this team really needs to take to win a championship. Not be satisifed to eak out a playoff appearance but CHAMPIONSHIP.. not scared of tearing things down but have a true mission that does not consist of band aids.

that's a damn good idea 4H-I like the idea of bringing in a consultant-it's something that hasn't been mentioned here before

Nothing you can do now. Unless Grady Jackson is still available. The main thing will be this offseason, this time you can't afford to ignore the state of the lines again. I'd also try and trade Pennington to the Chargers for Shawn Phillips, although they probably will refuse to do that.

I don't change a thing in the next 48 hours. I spend it talking with mangini and finding out exactly what his long term & short term plan is for the jets. I've enough confidence in him to hear whats on his mind & why before I instill any changes.

then I tell him yeah, that was 128 in the bushes

FWIW, Parcells is apparently already "consulting", if only regarding ex-Cowboys. He is the one that suggested Kenyon Coleman and Abraham Elam.

and he has also helped us out on his last draft day with trades and switching positions-I say then cut the fat boy a weekly check and make it official-we need help

oh yea and I would hire Fireman Ed as the ****official**** team mascot for every home and away game.He's hurt and prolly won't be able to play fireman anymore and could also (like Parcells) use the checks-the games haven't been the same without him this year...

FWIW, Parcells is apparently already "consulting", if only regarding ex-Cowboys. He is the one that suggested Kenyon Coleman and Abraham Elam.

I think Marty Schottenheimer also "consulted" a little bit with his "visit" a few weeks ago. Why do I have the feeling that Schottenheimer lent his advice towards what he would do on offense & not so much on defense? Could it maybe be b/c his son is our OC? The exact opposite of what advice (offense or defense) anyone would want from the namesake of Martyball.

I think Marty Schottenheimer also "consulted" a little bit with his "visit" a few weeks ago. Why do I have the feeling that Schottenheimer lent his advice towards what he would do on offense & not so much on defense? Could it maybe be b/c his son is our OC? The exact opposite of what advice (offense or defense) anyone would want from the namesake of Martyball.

That would explain why our offense is playing like a pack of *****s!!!

The problem here with this club is for some reason a playoff appearence is enough. This team continues to draft, sign, build and coach for mediocracy. We havent played in a Superbowl in almost 40 years and a conference championship in almost a decade. What is the ultimate goal? A wildcard and a playoff appearence or eventually becoming world champions. In 48 hours as GM, I would sit down and talk with my HC and find out what I could do to get the correct personel for his system, who does he have his eye on. I would with the HC's blessing (which i'm sure I'll get) fire Bob Sutton and get a knowledgeable DC in here who is familiar with the 3-4 scheme. I would sit down with Jonathan Vilma and find out if this will work out here in this scheme and if not move on and trade him. I would unload Robertson. I would have a closed doors meeting with Kerry Rhodes and tell him hes a great talent and can be a pro bowl caliber player in this league for a very long time, BUT he needs to get his head out of his a$$. Stop thinking about movies and the NYC night life and concentrate on football, because if not were not going to spend the money on in. I like Kenyon Coleman and Sean Ellis, but I would still do my best to bring a premeire pass rusher in here without spending or taking on too much. I would trade Chad Pennington, he's not a backup QB in the NFL and I would do my best to get atleast a 3rd round pick for him if not better. One of my big priorities would be to get Faneca in here or a veteran lineman to fill in for our gap at LG, if there was a lineman in the draft worth the pick I would draft there as well, we need depth on the offensive line. I would hold off on finding a #3 WR because I'm interested to see Clemens and McDropsys chemistry and whether it continues to build or vanishes like most hope. I would change the game experience at the stadium and the stupid chant cam and encourage fans to be loud on defense, not when we have the ball. I will also lock the doors and not let fans out of the stadium until the final whistle goes off, because for some reason all the "die hard" jets fans LOVE to leave games early when were trailing in the 4th quater and finally I would ban all terrible towels for sundays game vs. Pitt, BUT most importantly I would make it a priority to head towards a world championship whether it took 5 or 10 years, i wouldnt keep quick fixing this team.

I would demand that Eric M goes back to the 4-3. Then i would have our offense from last year installed back with the misdirections and the psread formations. this would make it easier to run the ball. i would tell Eric to give jones the ball 15 times a HALF not a game.... And go long......

Yeah, that, and i would start a search to hire a HC who is not a Belicheat wannabe.

How about a 4-3 NT (much easier to find) and:

Ellis - [Frank Okam type] - Coleman/DRob - Thomas

[barton/rookie] - Vilma - Harris

Might be able to stop the run now & then after all. Also pick up a faster OLB than Barton in the draft or (gasp!) free agency, b/c he may be too slow to cover that much field nowadays.

If done this would require committing to DRob for the long haul by redoing (extending) his contract with more SB money. We simply can't allow him to carry a cap number of $10M next year. I don't know that Coleman would simply fit in this place, as he occupies lineman more than penetrates like DRob once did (albeit inconsistently). IMO there are far better ways to spend the $8M in cap relief on defense that his departure would free up (Samuel, etc).

i'm amazed you of all people are givin up on mangini already.

I've seen enough to not like how he operates.

I was a Jet fan before he got here and i'll be a Jet fan after he's gone.

But if i owned the team as the thread hypothesizes, he aint gonna be working on my farm no mo.

Might be able to stop the run now & then after all. Also pick up a faster OLB than Barton in the draft or (gasp!) free agency, b/c he may be too slow to cover that much field nowadays.

If done this would require committing to DRob for the long haul by redoing (extending) his contract with more SB money. We simply can't allow him to carry a cap number of $10M next year. I don't know that Coleman would simply fit in this place, as he occupies lineman more than penetrates like DRob once did (albeit inconsistently). IMO there are far better ways to spend the $8M in cap relief on defense that his departure would free up (Samuel, etc).

First off, Thomas is not a good 4-3 end. Also i dont see why we should draft Okam, we should be in a position to get Dorsey who IMO will be a great great player in the 4-3.

You have Harris at OLB and Vilma in the middle. Surely it would be the other way around.

First off, Thomas is not a good 4-3 end. Also i dont see why we should draft Okam, we should be in a position to get Dorsey who IMO will be a great great player in the 4-3.

You have Harris at OLB and Vilma in the middle. Surely it would be the other way around.

Not necessarily. Vilma, for all the criticism in the 3-4, probably covers more ground than Harris. MLB in a 4-3 scheme is his position.

Harris is plenty fast enough to play outside.

Thomas - who knows really. He's only been at end sparingly this year. He was at least a decent run-stopper once. Took a ridiculous (and un-flagged) holding penalty the last game to take him out of the play at the end. Don't know if his sucky change-of-direction skills is truly more-suited for OLB really.

Okam is a true NT; Dorsey is more what DRob was supposed to be (from my understanding). Unless you have it in mind to use Coleman as a nose tackle, that is. I wouldn't be taking Okam with a top-5 pick; that's nuts. But he could be there at the top of round 2. Remember Gabe Watson was supposed to be a first-rounder also & he slipped to round 4 (after we passed on him twice in round 3 :bag:).

I don't really know right now. See what's available to us in free agency or pre-draft trades first.

Not necessarily. Vilma, for all the criticism in the 3-4, probably covers more ground than Harris. MLB in a 4-3 scheme is his position.

Harris is plenty fast enough to play outside.

Thomas - who knows really. He's only been at end sparingly this year. He was at least a decent run-stopper once. Took a ridiculous (and un-flagged) holding penalty the last game to take him out of the play at the end. Don't know if his sucky change-of-direction skills is truly more-suited for OLB really.

Okam is a true NT; Dorsey is more what DRob was supposed to be (from my understanding). Unless you have it in mind to use Coleman as a nose tackle, that is. I wouldn't be taking Okam with a top-5 pick; that's nuts. But he could be there at the top of round 2. Remember Gabe Watson was supposed to be a first-rounder also & he slipped to round 4 (after we passed on him twice in round 3 :bag:).

I don't really know right now. See what's available to us in free agency or pre-draft trades first.

I suppose those are pretty good reasons but it's all irrelevent because we know we'll be playing a 3-4 next season anyways.](*,)

if this is after the season and we have a top five pick? trade the pick to dallas for two first rounders, trade those picks for either a first next year, and/or to load up on second round and late round picks. Take nearly all late round picks and try to load up for a bit higher round for the following year.

Try to trade Vilma and Penny for picks, second round and forth round respectivly.

Basically get clean out of the first round. We do not have one position that saves us, and if we had say...5 second rounders I would feel very confident going into 08.

(as for what to draft? LDE, DT, RT, LG, OLB...what we've been saying the whole time.

Stick with Dyson and hope.

Drop:

E. Coleman

Barrett

Hobson

Barton

Keep Clement, but as a backup

Drop or trade Jmac/Drob

Clarke

Otherwise, stick with what we have and go shopping for some second rate FA (i don't mean that as a joke either, there is just no reason to spend on high profile players if you are so far off, although i would love to get faneca to see if his mear (spell?) presence helps our line enough to make us a threat again.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

I've seen enough to not like how he operates.

I was a Jet fan before he got here and i'll be a Jet fan after he's gone.

But if i owned the team as the thread hypothesizes, he aint gonna be working on my farm no mo.

Fair enough. He was far from my first choice. The thing I don't understand is NY Jets 10 saying the problem is being satisfied with playoff appearances and band aids as if that has been Mangini's MO. I haven't seen too many band aids. If he wanted band aids they'd have paid Kendall and spent some FA money. He may be a stubborn prick, but he seems committed to changing things his way and I think he truly believes his way is the best way. I don't have faith things are being done the right way, but it is entirely possible that they are biting the bullet now and will go for broke on the market for '08 like the Pats for '07.

Deb we are all going to like you...great avatar

1. Topless Cheerleaders, this team is unwatchable right now, maybe KC

will rectify ....i feel sorry for fans who shell out large coin for season tickets. Let them have some enjoyment

2. NO Attractive FA's will take the coin and go thru EM's FT Bragg training routine. It will always be the fringe Fa's that will come calling.

You're preaching to the choir. Go back to the 4-3, draft Okam or a similar type player in the later rounds, get a pass rushing DE.

If we went to a 4-3 Vilma could conceivably stay here as the MLB with David Harris moving to OLB. Vilma is a very good MLB in the 4-3 and Harris is talented enough to move to OLB in the 4-3. Harris moving to OLB is alot more realistic than Vilma moving to ILB.

As long as Mangini is here though I doubt the Jets will ever switch to a 4-3. Mangini knows the 3-4 and that's his scheme and this off-season he's going to pursue more 3-4 players.

I'm sure Mangini's 3-4 defense will look better next year when we play the Rams, Falcons, Niners and Dolphins every week. Only problem is when we play New England and Buffalo and Maroney and Lynch put up a combined 600 yards and 8 td's on us for the season.

Archived