top free agents: offense

R44

thanks faba, as always, quarterbacks are like left tackles -- the elite ones get locked up way ahead of time....the crop of rb's are okay, but most teams draft tailbacks high, instead of breaking the bank in free agency....but you are correct, jones is one of few will get a lot of attention as a free agent....

not that it matters to jets fans, but pro football weekly lists chargers qb phil rivers as a likely option opt out -- hence unresrtricted free agent....i can't confirm that via google, yet, but he'd be the #1 qb if pfw is correct...

p.s: my caps lock is down temporarily...

thanks faba, as always, quarterbacks are like left tackles -- the elite ones get locked up way ahead of time....the crop of rb's are okay, but most teams draft tailbacks high, instead of breaking the bank in free agency....but you are correct, jones is one of few will get a lot of attention as a free agent....

not that it matters to jets fans, but pro football weekly lists chargers qb phil rivers as a likely option opt out -- hence unresrtricted free agent....i can't confirm that via google, yet, but he'd be the #1 qb if pfw is correct...

p.s: my caps lock is down temporarily...

Well Rivers is terrible so it doesn't really matter. I don't think he can be the #1 QB ever.

From that list and being realistic I'd be targetting:

Alan Faneca (LG)

D.J. Hackett (WR) *Incredibly underated IMO*

Eric Johnson (TE)

They are player from that list who I'd like to see us at least go after. Dallas Clarke would be great on this team IMO, but he really can't block to save his life so IMO we'd be better going after a 3rd WR.

Alan Faneca (LG)

Eric Johnson (TE)

They are player from that list who I'd like to see us at least go after. Dallas Clarke would be great on this team IMO, but he really can't block to save his life so IMO we'd be better going after a 3rd WR.

You look at our team and you identify WR and TE as our needs? I agree LG is important, but so is RT and RG. Our WRs and our TE are fine.

You look at our team and you identify WR and TE as our needs? I agree LG is important, but so is RT and RG. Our WRs and our TE are fine.

we need everything!!!!!!!!!!!!

BAP is the way to go

Also need about 3 or 4 new coaches!!!!!

Keep the Caneman! Can the rest!

I would like us to sign either a TE or a 3rd WR. Another weapon for Clemens would really help IMO.

I agree that RT is a big need which is why I want to see Bender there for the rest of the season to see what we have in him. I'd be OK going into the season with Moore at RG because the kid can definetly play. He's just a bit too inconsistent. Your right that we should probably target a RT but that doesnt take away from the fact that we need a WR who can really stretch the field from the slot.

I would like us to sign either a TE or a 3rd WR. Another weapon for Clemens would really help IMO.

I agree that RT is a big need which is why I want to see Bender there for the rest of the season to see what we have in him. I'd be OK going into the season with Moore at RG because the kid can definetly play. He's just a bit too inconsistent. Your right that we should probably target a RT but that doesnt take away from the fact that we need a WR who can really stretch the field from the slot.

Bender has never pass blocked in his life. He is a long term project and should not be expected to start in his first two or three seasons. He got destroyed in the preseason at guard and if anything we expected his problem to be dealing with speed rushers off the edge (not a problem at guard). How can you expect to evaluate Clemens if he is on his ass every down? He's already running for his life. Evaluating young players is a good idea, but just because a guy is young he doesn't automatically deserve a start.

I think Baker is fine, if underutilized. But we clearly need another true WR. It's possible Stuckey could be that guy, but I wouldn't want to bet on it. Brad Smith is a tremendous athlete but he's not much of a true WR at this point. JMac is probably getting moved this off-season now that his salary's been cut. What good is a 3 WR set if one of the three either runs crappy/wrong routes and/or can't catch?

It would be good to see a mid-rounder spent here if we stockpile enough picks (Chad, Vilma, maybe trading down from our first pick, etc). I doubt Coles will be around past his current contract (ends after the 2009 season) & that would be a good time to promote someone we draft this year instead of busting our nut on a 1st-round WR in 2009 who will in all likelihood be a total bust anyway.

This year we need the top OG out there.

Even though he's nothing special & never will be, I'm starting to accept that Moore is simply our starter at RG next year as well b/c Mangini loves the guy. So if we took a 2nd/3rd-round talent at RT, I think the line would be just fine. Clement is the perfect backup (not totally incompetent & makes like $800K next year). A year later we can replace Moore who's also signed on for small bucks & would be the perfect backup OG.

I'm expecting nothing out of Bender. If he surprises then he surprises. But let it be a surprise; don't bet the season on it.

I think Baker is fine, if underutilized. But we clearly need another true WR. It's possible Stuckey could be that guy, but I wouldn't want to bet on it. Brad Smith is a tremendous athlete but he's not much of a true WR at this point. JMac is probably getting moved this off-season now that his salary's been cut. What good is a 3 WR set if one of the three either runs crappy/wrong routes and/or can't catch?

It would be good to see a mid-rounder spent here if we stockpile enough picks (Chad, Vilma, maybe trading down from our first pick, etc). I doubt Coles will be around past his current contract (ends after the 2009 season) & that would be a good time to promote someone we draft this year instead of busting our nut on a 1st-round WR in 2009 who will in all likelihood be a total bust anyway.

This year we need the top OG out there.

Even though he's nothing special & never will be, I'm starting to accept that Moore is simply our starter at RG next year as well b/c Mangini loves the guy. So if we took a 2nd/3rd-round talent at RT, I think the line would be just fine. Clement is the perfect backup (not totally incompetent & makes like $800K next year). A year later we can replace Moore who's also signed on for small bucks & would be the perfect backup OG.

I'm expecting nothing out of Bender. If he surprises then he surprises. But let it be a surprise; don't bet the season on it.

Jets could use either a 3rd wr or a 2nd TE to run two TE sets. Double TE sets would help the blocking plus give Clemens a safety valve in case nobody is open downfield. It's been working like gangbusters for the Pats the last few years.

If Mangini thinks Brandon Moore is our RG of the future he is seriously smoking dope. Moore is an ok player but he is clearly undersized and compromises the running game. I don't understand why the Jets just can't go out and get some big mauler Guards in the draft and FA.

The Jets need Alan Faneca and probably 2-3 more offensive linemen.

Alan Faneca (LG)

Eric Johnson (TE)

Alan Faneca is probably going to want a 7 million a year. But he's damn worth it.

Jets could use either a 3rd wr or a 2nd TE to run two TE sets. Double TE sets would help the blocking plus give Clemens a safety valve in case nobody is open downfield. It's been working like gangbusters for the Pats the last few years.

If Mangini thinks Brandon Moore is our RG of the future he is seriously smoking dope. Moore is an ok player but he is clearly undersized and compromises the running game. I don't understand why the Jets just can't go out and get some big mauler Guards in the draft and FA.

The Jets need Alan Faneca and probably 2-3 more offensive linemen.

I don't think he sees Moore as RG of the future (though who knows, really).

Clearly we could use upgrades at LG, RG, and RT.

There seem to be (at this point) enough good/true RT prospects in the draft that it can be addressed without burning our first-rounder on one. If he banks on a Bender/Clement competition as the RT solution (particularly if Bender doesn't play at all this year)...well then I don't know what else to say. Have to believe he'll draft a RT.

LG I agree Faneca has to be the top FA target for us at any position.

Now the question is what then to do with Moore/RG. The easy answer is "bench him" but who do you put in his place? Do you add another FA (putting 3 new players on the OL at once) or find one through the draft? I think Mangini would like to do it through the draft. But I doubt he wants to have BOTH our RG and RT as rookie starters at the same time. It was tough enough with D'Brick & Mangold & they were both premiere prospects who weren't even playing next to each other. So that's why I feel Moore will be starting in '08.

It could go the other way & we could go with a replacement for Moore in '08 and Clement in '09, but that seems less likely. Moore is locked up long-term & Clement is a FA after '08. Seek an upgrade for Moore in '09 but if one doesn't materialize it's not as though there would be NO ONE on the active roster to step in.

Archived