Packers offered bounty to defensive players report

faba

League looking into report of Packers players' 'bounty' offers

Monday, November 19, 2007 GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) NFL officials are investigating whether Green Bay Packers players offered payments to teammates for achieving specific defensive goals.

League rules prohibit teams and players "from offering or accepting bonuses to a player for his or his team's performance against a particular team, a particular opposing player or players, or a particular group of an opposing team."

League spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed the investigation Monday.

ESPN reported that Packers defensive backs offered to pay the team's defensive linemen $500 each if there were able to hold Minnesota running back Adrian Peterson under 100 yards rushing two weeks ago, and another $500 for holding Carolina to under 60 yards rushing as a team on Sunday.

Peterson was held to 45 yards rushing before he left the Vikings' Nov. 11 loss to the Packers with an injury. But the Panthers rushed for 131 yards in Sunday's loss to Green Bay.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Monday morning he was not aware of the situation, but had not yet spoken to general manager Ted Thompson.

"I have no knowledge of that," McCarthy said. "I have not been made aware of that. I haven't talked to Ted today, so if it's something that happened this morning, we have not spoken."

Packers players were not available to the media on Monday after their 31-17 victory over Carolina.

League looking into report of Packers players' 'bounty' offers

Monday, November 19, 2007 GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) NFL officials are investigating whether Green Bay Packers players offered payments to teammates for achieving specific defensive goals.

League rules prohibit teams and players "from offering or accepting bonuses to a player for his or his team's performance against a particular team, a particular opposing player or players, or a particular group of an opposing team."

League spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed the investigation Monday.

ESPN reported that Packers defensive backs offered to pay the team's defensive linemen $500 each if there were able to hold Minnesota running back Adrian Peterson under 100 yards rushing two weeks ago, and another $500 for holding Carolina to under 60 yards rushing as a team on Sunday.

Peterson was held to 45 yards rushing before he left the Vikings' Nov. 11 loss to the Packers with an injury. But the Panthers rushed for 131 yards in Sunday's loss to Green Bay.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Monday morning he was not aware of the situation, but had not yet spoken to general manager Ted Thompson.

"I have no knowledge of that," McCarthy said. "I have not been made aware of that. I haven't talked to Ted today, so if it's something that happened this morning, we have not spoken."

Packers players were not available to the media on Monday after their 31-17 victory over Carolina.

A non-story IMO. Unless players were being paid to injure another player then who cares if a teammate says he'll reward his teammates for playing well. My question is, what NFL player is motivated by $500? Kind of like offering a janitor an extra nickel if he can mop the floor an hour faster than usual.

A non-story IMO. Unless players were being paid to injure another player then who cares if a teammate says he'll reward his teammates for playing well. My question is, what NFL player is motivated by $500? Kind of like offering a janitor an extra nickel if he can mop the floor an hour faster than usual.

HAHAHAHAHA.

This is just stupid. People do this crap all the time... Heck friends do it when they go out to bars or to parties... "I'll bet you I get more numbers then you." "I'll bet you I can drink more than you." "I bet you more car is faster than yours."

Then you have all the hoopla over My College is better than yours... Wanna bet on who wins or finishes better...

A few players joking around with one another over some stupid bet is news because?

I mean the Pats didn't get punished for cheating, the tapes were burned, yet useless Goddell and the NFL wants to look into the matter? Maybe the NFL should look into the fact that maybe the NFL is fixed and Goddell and Crew sucks the Pats you know what.

Apparently the NFL. No wonder they call it the No Fun League. Like who cares anyway? This is almost as bad as forbidding McMahon from wearing his "Pluto" sweatband during games. Why don't they spend their time disclosing what the * Cheatriots had on those tapes that the NFL destroyed.

Don't pro bowl RBs buy their O-lines stuff after the season? It's really the same thing.

Exactly. QB's do the same thing. How many gifts have Manning, Marino, and Brady bought their own line. I've heard on countless interviews how they have gotten their o line gifts, dinners, and who knows what else.

Exactly. QB's do the same thing. How many gifts have Manning, Marino, and Brady bought their own line. I've heard on countless interviews how they have gotten their o line gifts, dinners, and who knows what else.

exactly

This is all between players. It wasn't to hurt anyone.

BS story

Not like the players need the extra cash or should they need the extra motivation, but why should a perfromance bouns be a bad thing. They were not looking to injure anyone they were just being given extra incentive, but as I said before why should a player need that.

Archived