Darrelle Revis - Thoughts on his performance?

Barton

Oh god, we're judging by stats now... Once that starts happening, you know we're not judging by what happens.

LOOK, HE WAS UNDER 100 YARDS TODAY. YAY! He was under 100 yards because Dallas ran the ball for 174 yards!!!!!!!!! That's why he didn't have big #s.

#s are for fantasy football. You can't judge a guy by #s alone.

I think he'll be a good NFL player.. hardly a stud. He'll get all rookie team, because any 1st rounder who can tie his shoes and chew gum at the same time does. I don't think he's a bust, but I don't think he's this shutdown corner everyone is claiming he is based on 1 game where Dallas didn't even attempt to pass in the 2nd half (they did, don't take me literally).

Being a rookie means nothing to me. This is FOOTBALL. He's been playing it all his life. Why should I expect him to not be able to cover a crossing route now that he's in the NFL? Are those not legal in college?

Look, Dallas decided running the ball was their best/easiest way to win. They were right. THIS IS WHY the #s passing are so low.

Nothing worse than judging who played well by stats and stats alone..

Wow so 99% of rookies must've forgetten how to play football in your eyes. I mean its not like the NFL is a whole different level than college. You must have trouble with the fact that it takes almost all rookies time to adjust to the pro game and that many don't pan out.

Wow so 99% of rookies must've forgetten how to play football in your eyes. I mean its not like the NFL is a whole different level than college. You must have trouble with the fact that it takes almost all rookies time to adjust to the pro game and that many don't pan out.

"Adjusting to the pro game..." What exactly does that mean....

Sure, there is adjusting.. However, I don't think the basics should go away.

One thing I'll say.. Revis, for a CB, is a VERY good tackler.

Look... I just judge guys by what I SEE. I don't use numbers as my primary factor. I judge by what I see. I watch the games 4-5 times.. I've already watched this game 3 times. Of course, the other 2 times I went through with the DVR very fast.... I looked at Revis. He certainly did not have a bad game... but he wasn't Deion Sanders in his prime covering TO either.... Let's not go crazy. That's all Im saying.

The history of this, and most Jets sites is either a guy is the BEST or he SUCKS.. There's no in between. What I'm saying is I don't think he's the best. I don't think he sucks either. I'm personally not a fan, but he's better than what we have.

"Adjusting to the pro game..." What exactly does that mean....

Sure, there is adjusting.. However, I don't think the basics should go away.

One thing I'll say.. Revis, for a CB, is a VERY good tackler.

Look... I just judge guys by what I SEE. I don't use numbers as my primary factor. I judge by what I see. I watch the games 4-5 times.. I've already watched this game 3 times. Of course, the other 2 times I went through with the DVR very fast.... I looked at Revis. He certainly did not have a bad game... but he wasn't Deion Sanders in his prime covering TO either.... Let's not go crazy. That's all Im saying.

The history of this, and most Jets sites is either a guy is the BEST or he SUCKS.. There's no in between. What I'm saying is I don't think he's the best. I don't think he sucks either. I'm personally not a fan, but he's better than what we have.

I'll accept that if your point is that he's not Sanders. But I think you're downplaying him to much as well. He's been impressive in coverage from what I've seen.

Oh god, we're judging by stats now... Once that starts happening, you know we're not judging by what happens.

LOOK, HE WAS UNDER 100 YARDS TODAY. YAY! He was under 100 yards because Dallas ran the ball for 174 yards!!!!!!!!! That's why he didn't have big #s.

#s are for fantasy football. You can't judge a guy by #s alone.

I think he'll be a good NFL player.. hardly a stud. He'll get all rookie team, because any 1st rounder who can tie his shoes and chew gum at the same time does. I don't think he's a bust, but I don't think he's this shutdown corner everyone is claiming he is based on 1 game where Dallas didn't even attempt to pass in the 2nd half (they did, don't take me literally).

Being a rookie means nothing to me. This is FOOTBALL. He's been playing it all his life. Why should I expect him to not be able to cover a crossing route now that he's in the NFL? Are those not legal in college?

Look, Dallas decided running the ball was their best/easiest way to win. They were right. THIS IS WHY the #s passing are so low.

Nothing worse than judging who played well by stats and stats alone..

Maybe because in the NFL everyone is the best player in college. You can't be serious. If this were true every rookie QB would be a star and there wouldnt be EVERY NFL player saying that as a rookie you have to adjust to the speed of the game. Think before you speak ROOKIE...

Revis did show signs of being that shutdown corner we so desperately need. Oh, right, except for the bull**** play when the Cowboys passed when they were already up by 30. And there's nothing he could've done about that--perfect pass, perfect catch. Not counting that (and we shouldn't), Owens has 5 catches for 43 yards. Even so, that's one of the best jobs a corner has done on Owens all year. Impressive, very impressive.

Here we go, the entire, "If you do not agree with me, you know nothing about football" defense.. Usually that just tells me you're out of valid arguments to support your position.

Exactly

Even though you have your opinion about the player, some chest thumpers want to ram it down your throat that your opinion isn't as good as theirs

I disagree with your opinion of this particular player, but you have a right to get your point across without these internet tough guys telling you that you suck iof you don;t agree with them

Good job Aec....

Just a note, Aec and I ave not alwasy seen eye to eye about certain subjects

It says he is good in the hurry up

Dude, the guy is a shrimp back there....he may hurt one of our lineman by drilling him in back of his head

He really has no feel....he accuracy thusfar is por

Just not impressed

It also says clutch. He most definitely needs to improve on his inconsistant accuracy and there are other things in general he needs to work on. But to dismiss the positive things he has done is unfair considering his age and inexperience. If it were that easy then why don't other more experienced QBs do it? He has shown a lot of promise and that's fine for a young QB with the limited talent he has around him. All the things he struggles with tend to be things that all young QB have trouble with so I wouldn't worry yet. If he hasn't improved at all over the course of the rest of the season I'll begin to have questions about him.

Also, the height thing is a non-factor. Thankfully, I haven't heard anyone mention it in a while but the fact that he's not 6'5 will have little impact on his success or failure. The only way it would be a huge problem was if he has a low release point, which he doesn't.

Maybe because in the NFL everyone is the best player in college. You can't be serious. If this were true every rookie QB would be a star and there wouldnt be EVERY NFL player saying that as a rookie you have to adjust to the speed of the game. Think before you speak ROOKIE...

I'm 100% serious.

Not saying every rookie would be a star.. Not saying that at all.

Saying this "he has to learn how to play." BULL****. He should know how to play. He doesn't know how to cover a crossing route. He's 2-3 steps behind the receiver EVERY TIME.

Nice job namecalling too. Like that's so insulting. Look, just because he's a rookie I'm not going to sit here and give him fellacio.

I'm 100% serious.

Not saying every rookie would be a star.. Not saying that at all.

Saying this "he has to learn how to play." BULL****. He should know how to play. He doesn't know how to cover a crossing route. He's 2-3 steps behind the receiver EVERY TIME.

Nice job namecalling too. Like that's so insulting. Look, just because he's a rookie I'm not going to sit here and give him fellacio.

You seem to be hung up with the crossing route. I haven't seen any noticeable problems with that route but if that's the only grip you have with him than I think he's doing just fine.

You seem to be hung up with the crossing route. I haven't seen any noticeable problems with that route but if that's the only grip you have with him than I think he's doing just fine.

Hardly the only gripe.

Gets beaten way too much for my liking.. Maybe he's just learning the game he's presumably played since he was a kid.

Watch him on a crossing route.. By time the guy is at the other end of the field he's 2-3 strides behind.

He's better than what we have... He'll be a decent player, but Im not going to sit here and say I think he's great. Sorry.

Hardly the only gripe.

Gets beaten way too much for my liking.. Maybe he's just learning the game he's presumably played since he was a kid.

Watch him on a crossing route.. By time the guy is at the other end of the field he's 2-3 strides behind.

He's better than what we have... He'll be a decent player, but Im not going to sit here and say I think he's great. Sorry.

I have a question. Did you watch Champ Bailey in his rookie season????

Hardly the only gripe.

I'm not completely sure what you're talking about when you say he's beaten all the time. Maybe we have a different definition of when a players beat. I see a player who's good in coverage and a good tackler. That exceeds expectations for a rookie corner in my book. He's not an all-pro CB yet but if his game progresses at a normal rate then he looks like he'll be there in a couple years from what I've seen.

Anyone who thinks Revis doesnt have "it" is clueless.

Hes played 10 games in the NFL and its obvious he belongs.

Hes a rookie QB on a team that has ZERO pass rush. You put Revis on a team like the Giants (who get after the QB) and he'd be close to All Pro next year.

I'm not completely sure what you're talking about when you say he's beaten all the time. Maybe we have a different definition of when a players beat. I see a player who's good in coverage and a good tackler. That exceeds expectations for a rookie corner in my book. He's not an all-pro CB yet but if his game progresses at a normal rate then he looks like he'll be there in a couple years from what I've seen.

Good tackler? DEFINITELY.. No question. One of the best tackling CBs I've seen.

Good in coverage? NOPE.

However your last sentence is PERFECT. I agree. That's what I am trying to say.. Guys on this site think he's the second coming.

Anyone who thinks Revis doesnt have "it" is clueless.

Hes played 10 games in the NFL and its obvious he belongs.

Hes a rookie QB on a team that has ZERO pass rush. You put Revis on a team like the Giants (who get after the QB) and he'd be close to All Pro next year.

Im definitely NOT saying he doesn't belong in the NFL ..

However, what in gods name is "IT"? Does he have the itch or something?

Archived