HOCKEY EAST

BUM-KNEE

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/college/hockey/view.bg?articleid=1080701&srvc=rss

The UMass-Lowell student body began its spring break this weekend but one campus group made it clear that it is not quite ready to relax.

Facing the possibility of a hasty elimination from the Hockey East quarterfinals after falling to Boston University in Friday night

I've decided to spend the $8 and watch the game tonight on B2TV. Have you used this service before?

Even if the stream is crappy it's better than nothing.

nope... never used it...

The umass feed from previous years sucked so I never wanted to spend the money to see if it was worth it. Maybe if i had it plugged into my tv it might look good.

im listening to the game online....

good luck UML!

nope... never used it...

The umass feed from previous years sucked so I never wanted to spend the money to see if it was worth it. Maybe if i had it plugged into my tv it might look good.

im listening to the game online....

good luck UML!

The stream was pretty good. I only got booted once and was back watching in a couple of minutes. The crowd noise was non existent as it was dominated by the BU radio guys.

Lowell gave it all they had but it simply wasn't enough. I'm really looking forward to next year as Lowell loses no one to graduation and all the young guys gained valuable experience this year.

The same should be true of UMass.

I'm seriously thinking of picking up a couple of season tickets as I have extra cash now that I'm not renewing my Pats tickets.

Lets hope UVM wipes the floor with BU and UNH does the same to BC. I really don't want to see another BC/BU game.

The stream was pretty good. I only got booted once and was back watching in a couple of minutes. The crowd noise was non existent as it was dominated by the BU radio guys.

Lowell gave it all they had but it simply wasn't enough. I'm really looking forward to next year as Lowell loses no one to graduation and all the young guys gained valuable experience this year.

The same should be true of UMass.

I'm seriously thinking of picking up a couple of season tickets as I have extra cash now that I'm not renewing my Pats tickets.

Lets hope UVM wipes the floor with BU and UNH does the same to BC. I really don't want to see another BC/BU game.

wait till next year

Niagara is going to the dance!!!!!!!!!!:cheergal::cheergal::cheergal:

DOWN GOES UNH!!!

DOWN GOES UNH!!!

FU*K YOU DICK UMILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATS NOTRE DAME!!!!!

Holy ****. UNH got crushed. 7-3 to Notre Dame? Lowell or UMass would have put up a better fight.

You summed it up:

FU*K YOU DICK UMILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy ****. UNH got crushed. 7-3 to Notre Dame? Lowell or UMass would have put up a better fight.

You summed it up:

well... they did give up 2 empty netters....

i only saw the 3rd period. It was strange. Big ice surface. You would think it would benefit UNH, but nope. They got hit with a 5min major with 4:45 left...

Stupid penalties + poor execution= typical end to UNH's season.

well... they did give up 2 empty netters....

i only saw the 3rd period. It was strange. Big ice surface. You would think it would benefit UNH, but nope. They got hit with a 5min major with 4:45 left...

Stupid penalties + poor execution= typical end to UNH's season.

I'm a big Northern Michigan University fan (CCHA). NMU beat Michigan State, lost a very close series with Michigan, and beat Notre Dame in the consolation game of the CCHA Tournament. I wish they would expand the teams allowed into the DI tournament, I would like to see how Northern would do against the Hockey East. Watch out for NMU in the next few seasons, eh.

NCAA tourney update:

Friday

Notre Dame 7-3 over UNH

Michigan 5-1 over Niagra

Michigan State 3-1 over Colorado College

Clarkson 2-1 over St Cloud St.

Saturday

Michigan 2-0 over Clarkson

Notre Dame 3-1 over Michigan State

Wisconsin 6-2 over Denver

BC 5-2 over Minnesota

North Dakota 5-1 over Princeton

Miami 3-2 over Airforce in ot

Sundays action:

BC vs Miami

Wisconsin vs. N. Dakota

Frozen Four Teams So Far:

Michigan (#1 overall in Pairwise Rankings PWR)

Notre Dame (tied 13th in Pairwise Rankings- beating #4 UNH and 9th Mich St.)

Remaining teams:

BC- 6th pwr

Miami- 2nd pwr

Wisc-12th pwr- losing record overall heading into tourney

N. Dak- 3rd pwr

I'm a big Northern Michigan University fan (CCHA). NMU beat Michigan State, lost a very close series with Michigan, and beat Notre Dame in the consolation game of the CCHA Tournament. I wish they would expand the teams allowed into the DI tournament, I would like to see how Northern would do against the Hockey East. Watch out for NMU in the next few seasons, eh.

well... with 59 teams in D1 hockey, it would be tough to expand the tourney.

Right now 27% of teams make tourney

basketball 18% of teams make tourney

football- well... we wont go there.... :P actually about half get to go to a bowl game... but is that really the same thing???:)

I wish they would play more non-league games. They just dont play enough. In HE, they could cut down the 3 games against league opponents to 2 games and schedule 9 more non-league games. Oh well...

http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/032608aaa.html

The 6-foot-2 defensemen will play the remainder of the season with the Rochester Americans

March 26, 2008

BUFFALO, N.Y. - Buffalo Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier announced on Tuesday evening the team has signed free agent defenseman Mike Kostka, who just finished his senior season at the University of Massachusetts. Kostka also signed an amateur tryout contract (ATO) with the Rochester Americans, Buffalo's American Hockey League club for the remainder of its 2007-08 season.

Kostka (22 years old, 6'2", 210 lbs.) was named to the Hockey East 2nd All-Star Team this season. The native of Ajax, Ont., finished the season ranked third on the team with a career-high nine goals and led the Minutemen with a plus-11 rating.

Seven of Kostka's nine goals were on the power play, which led all defensemen nationally. The team captain and a Hobey Baker nominee, Kostka finished his career with 15 goals and 38 assists in 143 career games and a plus-16 rating.

This season was his first to be selected to a Hockey East All-Star Team. Entering his senior campaign, he was also a three-time Hockey East All-Academic Selection.

Good Luck Mike. Thanks for 4 wonderful seasons.

http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/032708aaa.html

700 NCAA student-athletes will meet to discuss issues affecting them on campus and in the community.

817-grey.gif

AMHERST, Mass. - UMass sophomore hockey forward Will Ortiz (Framingham, Mass.) has been selected to attend the NCAA Leadership Conference May 25th-27th in Orlando, Fla.

The NCAA National Student-Athlete Development Conference provides NCAA student-athletes with a forum to openly discuss issues that may affect them on their campuses and in their communities, while also providing them with the opportunity to enhance their leadership, communication, decision-making and problem-solving skills.

The conference also promotes better communication among student-athletes, coaches, administrators, faculty and communities.

The NCAA has increased the number of opportunities for student-athletes to participate in the conference to 700 beginning with the 2008 event taking place May 25-29 in Orlando, Florida at the Walt Disney World Resort.

The application deadline is February 8 and the conference is open to student-athletes at all NCAA member institutions.

The 2008 event will be conducted in two conferences - the first will be May 25 to 27 and the second will be May 27 to May 29. Each division will have the opportunity to send 233 student-athletes to participate.

Ortiz played in 32 games this past hockey season scoring seven goals and adding eight assists. Two of his goals were game-winners which was tied for the team lead. For his career, Ortiz has played in 70 games with 14 goals and 22 assists.

In the classroom, Ortiz is enrolled in the School of Management at UMass.

Is there anyone in America that has ESPNU?

I was up very late on Friday Night/Saturday Morning listening to the radio feed of the Aussie Rules Football team I support. ESPN2 was showing arm wrestling.

They can't show College Hockey?

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/03/30/playing_for_the_river_hawks_was_only_one_of_his_many_goals/

Kory Falite had seen the University of Massachusetts at Lowell hockey program develop.

He had watched games, played in the Tsongas Arena, visited the campus, and acquainted himself with the coaching staff.

"I'm a big offensive guy. I love trying to score; that's the biggest part of my game. I always want to score goals."

But Falite had made up his mind about his college choice a long time ago, when he was 6 years old.

"I grew up right down the street from the college," said the Billerica native. "So I grew up watching the team and knew that I wanted to play there someday. I knew that I wanted to play Hockey East because it's one of the best leagues, and seeing them play up close so often.

"I knew, when I was little, that's where I wanted to play one day."

Fast-forward 13 years, and Falite is living his dream as a member of the River Hawks. He recently wrapped up his sophomore season as UMass-Lowell's only player - and the only underclassman overall - to be named a Hockey East all-star (second team).

Falite has matured into one of the team's most dangerous offensive threats. He finished the season with a team-high 32 points in 37 games, recorded 5 power-play goals, and scored 4 game-winners as the River Hawks finished 16-17-4.

It was Falite's talent for finding the net that caught the eye of Lowell head coach Blaise MacDonald.

"He was always around the puck a lot," MacDonald said of scouting Falite. "He could finish off and score goals very well. He played junior hockey and was a real good fit for us."

Though MacDonald was introduced to Falite when he was playing for the Boston Junior Bruins, MacDonald's relationship with the Falite family began when MacDonald was in middle school. Falite's father, Frank, was a teacher at Locke Middle School when MacDonald was a student; Frank Falite went on to coach MacDonald's brother at Austin Prep, the same high school Kory Falite attended.

During high school, Falite played for the Boston Junior Bruins for three sea sons. The experience gained from playing with New England's elite players prepared him to earn significant ice time as a UMass-Lowell freshman.

"A skill that can't be taught is goal-scoring," said Peter Masters, coach of the Junior Bruins and Kory Falite's brother-in-law. "You can shoot the puck all day, but you can't teach someone how to beat the goaltender from different angles. Kory has that knack; it's very special. He wants the puck. I've coached him since he was 12. It was always the same: He wants the puck."

Falite tallied his 50th career point (28 goals, 22 assists) this month, notched eight multipoint games, and ended the season on a seven-game point streak. The 5-foot-10-inch left wing helped the River Hawks to the Hockey East quarterfinals, where they fell to Boston University, 4-2.

"I'm a big offensive guy," said Falite. "I love trying to score; that's the biggest part of my game. I always want to score goals. Last year, I made quick decisions; I was too jumpy with the puck. But this year, things just slowed down for me.

"The first couple months of college were tough; it was a lot to get used to. The guys were older, more experienced, and the game moved so fast. It was a comfort thing. I'm more comfortable now, so I can get back to scoring."

With his parents in the stands each night, Falite has proven he is worthy of his position on the first line next to sophomores Paul Worthington and Ben Holmstrom. The only game at which his parents were not cheering was on the evening his older sister, Amy, gave birth to her and Masters's child.

Along with Falite, MacDonald, who is also a Billerica native, relied on a large sophomore class of 16 players. The roster also included seven freshmen and three juniors. The one senior on the squad was defenseman Kelly Sullivan.

"He learned the amount of effort, commitment, and dedication it takes in the off-season to develop," said MacDonald of Falite. "He spent the summer shooting pucks, working out, lifting weights, and sprinting and running. It's made him the player he is today.

"Without question, I'm excited about having him for the next two years. He has a very bright future ahead if he keeps working the way he has."dingbat_story_end_icon.gif

http://www.wickedlocal.com/billerica/sports/x1670190544

Falite at UMass-Lowell

Kory Falite had a fine season for the men’s hockey team at the University of Massachusetts at Lowell, leading the River Hawks in scoring with 18 goals and 14 assists.

Falite appeared in all 37 games, helping UML to a 16-17-4 overall record.

UMass-Lowell nearly upset Boston University in the quarterfinals of the Hockey East playoffs, falling 2-1 in the best-of-three series.

After the season, Falite was named a second-team Hockey East all-star.

Falite led Hockey East with 15 goals in 27 league games. He totaled 21 points (11 goals, 10 assists) over the last 19 games of the season, and did not go more than one game without a point during the season’s second half.

Falite led the team and was tied for second in Hockey East with four game-winning goals. The sophomore left wing was second on the River Hawks with 12 power play points (16th in Hockey East) on five goals and seven assists.

Falite had eight multi-point games, including a pair of two-goal games (11/10 vs. UMass and 2/15 at Boston College).

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-hockey/stories/033108aac.html#

Andrew Sweetland has signed with the Florida Panthers.

March 31, 2008

ORONO, Maine-- The Florida Panthers have agreed to terms with free agent college prospect Andrew Sweetland on an entry level contract, announced today by Florida Panthers General Manager and Head Coach Jacques Martin. Sweetland will forego his final three years of eligibility at Maine.

"Obviously, Andrew will be very difficult to replace, and we are going to miss him a lot," said Maine head coach Tim Whitehead. "He is a heck of a hockey player and a wonderful person. However, this is a great opportunity for Andrew with the Florida Panthers. I am very happy and excited for him."

Sweetland saw action in 28 games for the Black Bears during his rookie season. He finished fourth on the team in scoring with eight goals and nine assists for 17 points. Sweetland led the Black Bears with four power play goals. He was whistled for just one penalty during the season. He was named the 2008 winner of the Howard Neville Award as the UMaine Rookie of the Year.

Sweetland had three two-goal games on the season. He scored a pair of goals in Maine's game against Providence on Nov. 9. He also had a pair of goals in Maine's 5-3 win over Clarkson in the Florida College Classic. Sweetland was named Hockey East Rookie of the Week on Feb. 25 after scoring two goals and adding two assists in a weekend sweep over UMass.

Sweetland, a 6-2, 204-pound native of Bonavista, Newfoundland, played for the Amherst Ramblers prior to attending the University of Maine. He set a club record for the Ramblers with 56 goals and 61 assists for 117 points in 54 games. He was named the team's most valuable player and recipient of the Vern Hurley Memorial Award.

Sweetland becomes one of many former Black Bears to sign a professional contract in recent years. Maine has a rich tradition of players in the National Hockey League. The Black Bears have been one of the most dominant programs in the nation the past few years. The Black Bears have gone to the Frozen Four 11 times in the last 21 years, including four times in the last season years.

http://www.salemnews.com/pusports/local_story_087001516.html/resources_printstory

Paul Lynch, Jr. of Peabody let a lot of people down.

Mostly himself.

It took a proposed jail term and six months at the Dedham House of Correction to clear his head about the evil of drugs and what they had done to almost ruin his life.

Cocaine and OxyContin ("and whatever" he added) were some of his addictions. He spent two terms in Dedham

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/03/30/danvers_native_roots_for_bruins_but_hopes_to_be_a_leaf?mode=PF

By Matt Porter, Globe Correspondent | March 30, 2008

Last week the Boston Bruins, trying to hold onto the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference, twice faced the Toronto Maple Leafs. Both teams fought for the few remaining points that would elevate them to the postseason. As is customary this time of year, if the Bruins are within sniffing distance of the playoffs, fans are elated by a win and feel crushed by a loss.

Not Alex Berry. The Danvers native wants to see the Bruins win, but if the Leafs win, that's fine, too. The University of Massachusetts at Amherst junior forward is "a huge Bruins fan," but he's also a Toronto draft choice (fifth round, 2005).

"Obviously I'm still rooting for Boston a little bit harder, but I want to see the Leafs do well," said Berry. "It's just fun watching hockey right now, coming down to the wire. It's fun watching both teams. I definitely want to see the Bruins make the playoffs, but if Toronto makes it, that's great, too."

Berry hopes that someday he will be doing more than watching crucial games on TV.

"That's always my goal, to try to get to the NHL. Hopefully someday I get to be part of a playoff run with an NHL club," he said.

The 6-foot-2-inch, 212-pound forward has talent that long ago intrigued hockey scouts and coaches. He played one season at the Governor's Academy (then Governor Dummer Academy) in the Byfield section of Newbury before transferring to Cushing Academy, the hockey hotbed in Ashburnham.

Before college, Berry tuned his game playing for the Boston Junior Bruins in the elite Eastern Junior Hockey League. In 2004-05, his second season with the Junior Bruins, Berry powered his way to 52 points and 172 penalty minutes. Former NHL scout Kyle Woodlief, who writes the Red Line Report for USA Today, saw him play.

"Back then, he was a guy who had really good size and speed, so he was able to physically dominate at that level. He was stronger, and a much more powerful skater than guys he was playing against," said Woodlief.

Others took notice. UMass coach Don "Toot" Cahoon, a Lynn native who attended Marblehead High, saw him play as a high school junior and loved Berry's blend of size and skill.

"I walked away really excited about the prospects of him being a big-time player," said Cahoon. "He had a real, good natural stride for a big boy. His mobility, for his size, was pretty exceptional."

At first, Berry had trouble adjusting to the college game.

"I think Alex would be the first one to tell you he underestimated what the challenge was," said Cahoon. "If you're good enough, but not willing to work hard enough, you're going to be in trouble."

Berry started slowly, scoring only 2 points in 24 games as a freshman. But he began to break out as a sophomore, with 7 goals and 6 assists. This year, he came into his own, ranking seventh on the team in scoring (17 points) and playing a rugged, hard-hitting game for the Minutemen.

Cahoon has seen Berry take his game from raw talent to budding big-timer over the past three years.

"It's pretty significant, the change," Cahoon said. "He came with the requisite skills, but what was lacking was the focus on training. He spent the last couple of years dedicating himself to a high level of fitness. Now, he's a man. He approaches it 180 degrees different than he did three years ago, when he thought it was a natural occurrence to becoming a great player. He's grown up a whole lot."

If he continues to improve, Berry could be another in a recent string of UMass graduates to play professional hockey. Thomas Pock (New York Rangers) and Jon Quick (Los Angeles Kings) saw big-league action this year, while several others play in the American Hockey League. The UMass program, which was reinstated in 1991, is by far the youngest in Hockey East.

Berry hopes to follow in the footsteps of one of his best friends, Washington Capitals farmhand Chris Bourque. The two grew up together and were teammates on the Cushing Academy squad.

Bourque's father is Hall of Famer Ray Bourque, who Berry said taught both invaluable lessons, coaching them as youth players and, briefly, at Cushing.

"Just an unbelievable guy," said Berry. "I've been around him and his family for as long as I can remember. Watching him as a player and following his career, you learn so much."

It was Cam Neely, not Bourque, who was Berry's favorite player growing up. He said he appreciated Neely's competitive drive and goal-scoring ability.

But now, he has favorite players on the Leafs. He said he enjoys watching Mats Sundin, Nik Antropov, and super-pest Darcy Tucker, who's not a favorite with most Bruins diehards.

"Boston is my hometown team; I love them," he said. "But the Leafs are the team I'm looking to play for one day, so I have to pay attention to them, too."

Just a correction... the UMass program was restarted for the 1993-94 season. They joined Hockey East for the 1994-95 season.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/04/06/jones_drops_college_for_sharks_squad/

Matt Jones, the leading scorer on the Merrimack College men's hockey team and its lone representative on the Hockey East All-Conference team, has signed a pro contract with the San Jose Sharks and will forgo his final two years of college eligibility.

An undrafted free agent, Jones will play the remainder of the 2007-08 season with the Worcester Sharks of the American Hockey League. Jones led Merrimack with 15 goals and 124 shots and was second with 22 points and four power-play goals. Six times this season, he scored the game's first goal. He finishes his Warrior career with 28 points (19 goals, 9 assists), 6 power-play goals, and 4 game-winners in 66 games.

"Everyone here at Merrimack congratulates Matt and wishes him the best," said coach Mark Dennehy. "It was a pleasure watching him grow as a person and as a player over the past two years. We want to thank him for all he did for our program and wish him the best of luck in the San Jose organization."

Jones is the first Merrimack player to leave school early for an NHL contract since Matt Foy and Anthony Aquino departed for the Minnesota and Dallas organizations following the 2001-02 season.

He is the sixth Merrimack player in school history to leave the program early to sign an NHL contract. Jones played a big role in Merrimack's nine-win improvement this season.

The Warriors finished the season 12-18-4 overall and 6-18-3 in Hockey East and were in the playoff hunt until the final weekend of the season.

• 2 weeks later...