2007 draft redone by Don Banks

tparich

Here is the 14th and 15th picks

New York Jets

DARRELLE REVIS, CB, Pittsburgh

Original pick: Darrelle Revis, CB, Pitt

Let's not fix something that's not broken. Revis, the top-rated cornerback in the draft, has more than lived up to that label, starting all 12 of New York's games and notching 12 passes-defensed and two interceptions.

Pittsburgh Steelers

DAVID HARRIS, LB, Michigan

Original pick: Lawrence Timmons, LB, Florida State

Since taking over for the injured Jonathan Vilma inside, Harris has been a force with the Jets, totaling three sacks and a forced fumble in his five starts. Along with Willis and Beason, he continues the recent rookie trend of impact inside linebackers (Lofa Tatupu in 2005, DeMeco Ryans in 2006). Harris is a nice upgrade over LB Lawrence Timmons, who has had a very low-profile rookie season.

Link to the page if you want to read the rest

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/12/06/draft.redo/index.html

Here is the 14th and 15th picks

New York Jets

DARRELLE REVIS, CB, Pittsburgh

Original pick: Darrelle Revis, CB, Pitt

Let's not fix something that's not broken. Revis, the top-rated cornerback in the draft, has more than lived up to that label, starting all 12 of New York's games and notching 12 passes-defensed and two interceptions.

Pittsburgh Steelers

DAVID HARRIS, LB, Michigan

Original pick: Lawrence Timmons, LB, Florida State

Since taking over for the injured Jonathan Vilma inside, Harris has been a force with the Jets, totaling three sacks and a forced fumble in his five starts. Along with Willis and Beason, he continues the recent rookie trend of impact inside linebackers (Lofa Tatupu in 2005, DeMeco Ryans in 2006). Harris is a nice upgrade over LB Lawrence Timmons, who has had a very low-profile rookie season.

Link to the page if you want to read the rest

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/12/06/draft.redo/index.html

Good to see that Harris is getting the respect he deserves now. IMO he was the steal of this draft. Amazing player.

One problem that could lead to the past two years of bringing in mostly bad free agents is that the Jets havn't even tried to bring in any big name talent, instead opting to go on the cheap and taking not even second, but third tier players. Why was there not more of a fight for Adalius Thomas last season? I still do not understand. And if not Thomas, why not somebody else?

Age. We are building a team through the draft. like Mangini said he would.

Age. We are building a team through the draft. like Mangini said he would.

and they've been doing a bang up job for the most part-the trouble is doing it with 2-3 players a year is going to take a long time. we NEED to become aggressive players in the FA market to help speed up the process. I STILL like the Thomas Jones move and when we improve our OL this off season we'll see better production from him and better production from our young QB

Too many jello shots last night JC?

Oh man, those jello shots rock.

Great point about the draft being a bigger crap shoot than finding FA talent.

They have done really well with drafting, yet have stunk at bringing in quality FAs. it's hard to explain.

Oh man, those jello shots rock.

Great point about the draft being a bigger crap shoot than finding FA talent.

They have done really well with drafting, yet have stunk at bringing in quality FAs. it's hard to explain.

it's not hard to understand JC-they ain't being aggressive enough-they think they can do it on the cheap with lesser known talent and "high moral character" guys-it hasn't been working. They need to change that philosophy and get Woody to open that wallet and spring for a couple of big name PLAYERS instead of worrying about a new training facility and the new stadium.

Sign a Faneca and maybe Suggs-if you ain't even bringing guys in how can they expect to sign them? Even Joey Porter would have been a good signing for us-he's a better fit in the 3/4 than the 4/3 that Miami mostly runs. Also, Randy Moss who last year waited outside the Jets locker room in his fur coat like a groupie for Chad Pennington and then told Chad to "get me out of here" was never even considered...

No se`.

:confused:

Here you go, Coach.

Cameron-Diaz-Photograph-C10048405.jpeg

where did you get that picture of my wife?? So what free agents do you think the Jets will go after??? I doubt we draft a o linemen high, so I think that position is one we will go after. and our d line is going to take more then one player to be competitive. And what does next year hold for Vilma?

where did you get that picture of my wife??

Oh, it's from the web page I use as my home page, called Future All-World MILFs.

So what free agents do you think the Jets will go after??? I doubt we draft a o linemen high, so I think that position is one we will go after. and our d line is going to take more then one player to be competitive.

Beats me. I do not have a good read on what this FO will do when it comes to personnel decisions. I do think they will go D-line in the draft, though.

And what does next year hold for Vilma?

As of right now, I think he starts next year on the PUP list. I'll be happy if he's ready to play, and even happier if he gets to play on a team that uses a defensive scheme that suits his strengths.

One problem that could lead to the past two years of bringing in mostly bad free agents is that the Jets havn't even tried to bring in any big name talent, instead opting to go on the cheap and taking not even second, but third tier players. Why was there not more of a fight for Adalius Thomas last season? I still do not understand. And if not Thomas, why not somebody else?

Bingo. They are being restricted. Woody won't open the purse.

Geez Woody, it's not like you worked to make that money or anything, lol.

but...but...but...Mike Tannenbaum (in the WFAN interview) said Woody has been VERY generous and supportive, why he spent a whole lot of money on a state of the art training facility and a new stadium-unfortunately he doesn't think that maybe signing free agents and spending some money on players that just might help the team play better is worth the investment. They feel it's better to build from the inside out and give mediocre but "high moral character" guys like Shaun Ellis, Bryan Thomas and Chad Pennington big contracts as a reward is the way to go...that needs to change

but...but...but...Mike Tannenbaum (in the WFAN interview) said Woody has been VERY generous and supportive, why he spent a whole lot of money on a state of the art training facility and a new stadium-unfortunately he doesn't think that maybe signing free agents and spending some money on players that just might help the team play better is worth the investment. They feel it's better to build from the inside out and give mediocre but "high moral character" guys like Shaun Ellis, Bryan Thomas and Chad Pennington big contracts as a reward is the way to go...that needs to change

Absolutely right. If they're high moral guys, so be it. BUt if there are better players, that's all that really matters. 100% of Jets fans wouldn't care if every player on their team had a misdemeanor that year and still won the Super Bowl. I consider it a knock on Mangini that he won't accept players unless they're up to his character standards. It's like he won't take the challenge as a coach.

The irony is that if he'd open up and spend some money, he'd make more in the long run. People love jumping on the bandwagon of a good underdog, or just a good story. If the Jets were to play well, go deep in the playoffs, or ESPECIALLY unseat the Pats, merch. sales would skyrocket. Not to mention the fans that are just fans of certain players, and would buy, for example, a Randy Moss jersey even though he's a Patriot player.

The irony is that if he'd open up and spend some money, he'd make more in the long run. People love jumping on the bandwagon of a good underdog, or just a good story. If the Jets were to play well, go deep in the playoffs, or ESPECIALLY unseat the Pats, merch. sales would skyrocket. Not to mention the fans that are just fans of certain players, and would buy, for example, a Randy Moss jersey even though he's a Patriot player.

A McFadden jersey would be a big seller IMO to whoever drafts him.

A McFadden jersey would be a big seller IMO to whoever drafts him.

I'm tellin' you IJ-I'm not sold on this kid-he reminds me of that guy a couple of years ago from Penn State who hits the line too high...he was drafted and never heard from again-Brad Baxter-that's who he reminds me of

I'm tellin' you IJ-I'm not sold on this kid-he reminds me of that guy a couple of years ago from Penn State who hits the line too high...he was drafted and never heard from again-Brad Baxter-that's who he reminds me of

They're not even similar. McFadden's speed is in a whole other league to him. He doesn't hit the line too high at all. His vision is unbelievable and once the hole opens he hits it very very hard, I always thought (even when the 2 were in college) that DMC was as good as Adrian Peterson, he's more versatile too. IMO if we do indeed take a pass on him we regret it for years to come.

They're not even similar. McFadden's speed is in a whole other league to him. He doesn't hit the line too high at all. His vision is unbelievable and once the hole opens he hits it very very hard, I always thought (even when the 2 were in college) that DMC was as good as Adrian Peterson, he's more versatile too. IMO if we do indeed take a pass on him we regret it for years to come.

it'll be a moot point my Blarney friend-we won't have a chance at him anyway with us picking in the middle of the pack-Miami should take him first since Ronnie Brown has proven himself to NOT be durable enough to withstand the rigors of a 16 game NFL season..

it'll be a moot point my Blarney friend-we won't have a chance at him anyway with us picking in the middle of the pack-Miami should take him first since Ronnie Brown has proven himself to NOT be durable enough to withstand the rigors of a 16 game NFL season..

No way the Dolphins take him with that Old D. RB is probably the only position on that team that has some kind of elite potential.

IMO we will have a chance on him, I think we will lose 2 or 3 of our last 4 games and IMO that should be enough.

Archived