Take your pick on who the JETS will choose on draft day

jaspegs

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
why you guys like gholston? i do not think he can be used as a 3-4 DE because he's too small (6'4 264) unless he is able to move to OLB.

That would be the plan. He would be moved to the outside.

Why do you like Chris Long? Do we not have enough 280lb 34 Defensive Ends? Would you like to make our line smaller? ](*,)

I think trading down is the way to go. I felt the same two years ago but instead we took D'Brick. This year feels the same; no drama at all and the Jets take the scratch guy: CHRIS LONG. My hope is that someone gets desperate for the potential franchise QB and makes a good offer for the Jets to trade down a few spots and take Quentin Groves or Laurenitis (or both!).

I think trading down is the way to go. I felt the same two years ago but instead we took D'Brick. This year feels the same; no drama at all and the Jets take the scratch guy: CHRIS LONG. My hope is that someone gets desperate for the potential franchise QB and makes a good offer for the Jets to trade down a few spots and take Quentin Groves or Laurenitis (or both!).

But we will still be short a D-end this is the size and type that we need to run a successful 3-4 D this also is what the Ravens had in their championship year

LDE NT RDE

First and a third. But the first rounder was #18 I think. A far cry from #1. And that #1 guy is getting a $60M deal this year with $30M guaranteed. With Ronnie Brown already on the team for big bucks, I doubt this happens.

i don't think it happens either, but not for the reason stated: that parcells refuses to do it. they have ronnie and plenty of other holes but parcells would shell out for a top pick RB if he liked him enough, i think.

That's a big time reach considering his current draft stock.

I think we need to go Defensive End there aren't many in the draft and we need one really bad. there are a tons of good OLB's in this draft as well as O-linemen we can even pick up a decent Safety in latter round, but we need to focus on what we need most and that is front seven, O-line

I think we need to go Defensive End there aren't many in the draft and we need one really bad. there are a tons of good OLB's in this draft as well as O-linemen we can even pick up a decent Safety in latter round, but we need to focus on what we need most and that is front seven, O-line

More than anything the Jets need impact players. So if they draft (eg) Laurenitis and Groves and sign a FA DT/NT (or drafted one in the third or fourth round) to rotate with Puoha and Mosley, and kept DEs D-rob, Ellis and Coleman, the team, I think, would be dramatically better. Also, if Hobson (like Baker before him) finds that no other team in the league will have him then he can come back as a backup at all four LB positions because I have seen enough of Kassell.

I'm not suggesting the Jets would or should do this but in my view the Jets have too few impact players and should acquire as many of them as possible, and fill in elsewhere as best as they can.

Okay, I have to ask, what do people see in the Jets when they say "They really need a Defensive End badly"? I just don't see it.

Kenyon Coleman is not Richard Seymour, but he is strong against the run and you need a good run stuffing lineman. Shaun Ellis, although getting up their in age, is not a terrible 34 DE either. He has five sacks thus far this season. The biggest problem is there is no pass rushing threat at the Outside Linebacker position.

Forget the Defensive Ends. The only thing we need on the Defensive Line is a bigger body in the middle and maybe finally Sione Pouha is coming through to get a chance to be that man to replace Robertson in 2008.

You want to see this defense improve? Go out there and draft a Quentin Groves or a Vernon Gholston or sign a free agent such as Terrell Suggs. Don't move Bryan Thomas over to the right side unless you have a player like that on the other side. Do not have Victor Hobson rushing the blindside of the Quarterback. What the heck do you expect if thats happening?

The line is a problem, yes, but the biggest need on this defense is for a pass rushing Outside Linebacker who can throw an Offensive Lineman off and sack the Quarterback.

The only way we should be upgrading the Defensive End slot is if we release Ellis and put in his place a big, 300 or 310lb Defensive End. Ellis is 280/5, which hurts this defense some. If you want to pick on an End thats a problem, its Ellis, not Coleman. A 280lb college 34 defensive end is not going to play any better than Ellis in the 34 in the NFL. Chris Long is not the answer. He will be just as average as Ellis.

Okay, I have to ask, what do people see in the Jets when they say "They really need a Defensive End badly"? I just don't see it.

Kenyon Coleman is not Richard Seymour, but he is strong against the run and you need a good run stuffing lineman. Shaun Ellis, although getting up their in age, is not a terrible 34 DE either. He has five sacks thus far this season. The biggest problem is there is no pass rushing threat at the Outside Linebacker position.

Forget the Defensive Ends. The only thing we need on the Defensive Line is a bigger body in the middle and maybe finally Sione Pouha is coming through to get a chance to be that man to replace Robertson in 2008.

You want to see this defense improve? Go out there and draft a Quentin Groves or a Vernon Gholston or sign a free agent such as Terrell Suggs. Don't move Bryan Thomas over to the right side unless you have a player like that on the other side. Do not have Victor Hobson rushing the blindside of the Quarterback. What the heck do you expect if thats happening?

The line is a problem, yes, but the biggest need on this defense is for a pass rushing Outside Linebacker who can throw an Offensive Lineman off and sack the Quarterback.

The only way we should be upgrading the Defensive End slot is if we release Ellis and put in his place a big, 300 or 310lb Defensive End. Ellis is 280/5, which hurts this defense some. If you want to pick on an End thats a problem, its Ellis, not Coleman. A 280lb college 34 defensive end is not going to play any better than Ellis in the 34 in the NFL. Chris Long is not the answer. He will be just as average as Ellis.

I agree. If the Jets are going to stay with the 3-4, they desperately need a pass rushing OLB. We had one last year in Bryan Thomas (8.5 sacks), but apparently, he got possessed by a cement footed alien. Either that, or he got very content with his new long term contract.

I agree 100%

Coleman was a good pick up, and probably the Jets best DL this season. Elis has played well, but is a bit small, and getting older.

I don't think a lot of people understand the difference between a 4-3 DE and a 3-4 DE, who is actully more of a DT.

The pass rush comes from OLB in the 3-4. 6 sacks from a 3-4 DE is good

Ellis is not even average IMO in a 3-4. Yes he has 5 sacks but he spends more time getting pushed downfield. He's invisible most of the time and is a liability vs the run. I think he needs to be replaced in the off-season as well as D-Rob. Agree about Coleman though, he's good enough to keep his place IMO.

Agree with that completely. I would absolutely hate it if we drafted Chris Long on the hope that he can, in a year, put on 20-25 pounds of muscle. He's way too small for our defense. If you think our line gets pushed around now, wait 'till we get even smaller!

Also agree that a pass-rushing OLB and a true NT are by FAR this team's biggest needs on defense. The job of the line in a 3-4 is not so much to get sacks; that's the job of the OLBs, and that's what this team has seriously lacked this year. And a real, huge, fat, strong NT would occupy blockers and make David Harris and Co.'s jobs a hell of a lot easier.

I agree 100%

Coleman was a good pick up, and probably the Jets best DL this season. Elis has played well, but is a bit small, and getting older.

I don't think a lot of people understand the difference between a 4-3 DE and a 3-4 DE, who is actully more of a DT.

The pass rush comes from OLB in the 3-4. 6 sacks from a 3-4 DE is good

You and 124 hit the nail on the head. For some reason people here don't understand the difference between a 4-3 DE and a 3-4 DE. A Pass Rushing LB in the Demarcus Ware mold would be perfect. Also I would like another ILB brought in to develop and the obvious - a NT.

I agree. If the Jets are going to stay with the 3-4, they desperately need a pass rushing OLB. We had one last year in Bryan Thomas (8.5 sacks), but apparently, he got possessed by a cement footed alien. Either that, or he got very content with his new long term contract.

Thomas is a goof ball I think. A few weeks ago there was a quote in the paper from him that kind of indicated who he is.

To paraphrase.

"Around week 8 I realized I wasn't playing as well as I should. (It took him till week 8 to figure that out) and I realized that you have to keep working hard to succeed in the NFL."

Wow

You and 124 hit the nail on the head. For some reason people here don't understand the difference between a 4-3 DE and a 3-4 DE. A Pass Rushing LB in the Demarcus Ware mold would be perfect. Also I would like another ILB brought in to develop and the obvious - a NT.

How much do you think Jason Taylor weighs? Not what he's listed at, but what he really weighs? He seems to be doing okay when put in a 3/4 scheme.

I'll stick with my pick of Chris Long.

Luis Castillo

Height 6-3 weight 290

Trevor Price

Height 6-5 weight 286

Aaron Smith

Height 6-5 weight 298

This is what I am say guys if we are to stick with the 3-4 it starts up front like you said you have to have a large nose and a large end to make it work, but you also have to have a pass rushing DE to accomdate yes Shaun Ellis had 5 sack that came as of late this is true but we don't have the size for a 3-4. The good thing about a 3-4 is the rush can come from anywhere that is what make that scheme so special, and with Long you get that pass rush. We can draft also Tyson Jackson 6-5 300 LSU 4.87 in the second round to anchor the d-line with Shaun and still get Vernon in the first and maybe Jason Shirley 6-5-330 4.9 Fresno in the third or fourth, Shaun is a staple of the Jets and is still a good player but those sacks came against the Bills Langston Walker and Kirk Chambers PIT - Willie colon and the Pats. I am not even going to mention the dolphins sack because they are in the same boat as us as far as the O-line is concerned. A front seven will alway make a secondary look great just like when went to the playoff and almost beat the Steelers. I know we ran a 4-3 then but our front seven made them look good. When we switched to a defense that we didn;t have the

personnel for secondary got exposed

How much do you think Jason Taylor weighs? Not what he's listed at, but what he really weighs? He seems to be doing okay when put in a 3/4 scheme.

Here what it could look like if you choice is not Chris long

1st pick – Vernon Gholston, OLB, 6-4, 258, Ohio State 4.67

2nd pick – Tyson Jackson, DE 6’5 292, LSU 4.87

3rd: pick –Heath Benedict, 6-5 330

4th pick – Jason Shirley Height: 6-5. Weight: 330

5th pick - Josh Barrett, 6' 3" 231, Arizona State or Quinton Demps 6’0 205, 40 Time 4.53 TX El Paso Caleb Campbell, 6’2 “223 4.53

6th. or Kendall Langford, Hampton,DE 6’6,294 , or. or Bruce Hocker, Duquesne Height: 6-4. Weight: 205. 40 Time: 4.44

7th pick – OG Kerry Brown, 6' 6"303 lbs

We could even get Chris long in the first roundt and then in the second get Quinton Groves and what do you guys think about Ezra Butler from Nevada?

Ezra Butler, Nevada

Height: 6-2. Weight: 248.

40 Time: 4.48.

Projected Round: 1-2.

Ezra Butler, who runs an incredible 40 for his size, accumulated seven sacks in 2006. He had 5.5 in 2005.

Luis Castillo

Height 6-3 weight 290

Trevor Price

Height 6-5 weight 286

Aaron Smith

Height 6-5 weight 298

This is what I am say guys if we are to stick with the 3-4 it starts up front like you said you have to have a large nose and a large end to make it work, but you also have to have a pass rushing DE to accomdate yes Shaun Ellis had 5 sack that came as of late this is true but we don't have the size for a 3-4. The good thing about a 3-4 is the rush can come from anywhere that is what make that scheme so special, and with Long you get that pass rush. We can draft also Tyson Jackson 6-5 300 LSU 4.87 in the second round to anchor the d-line with Shaun and still get Vernon in the first and maybe Jason Shirley 6-5-330 4.9 Fresno in the third or fourth, Shaun is a staple of the Jets and is still a good player but those sacks came against the Bills Langston Walker and Kirk Chambers PIT - Willie colon and the Pats. I am not even going to mention the dolphins sack because they are in the same boat as us as far as the O-line is concerned. A front seven will alway make a secondary look great just like when went to the playoff and almost beat the Steelers. I know we ran a 4-3 then but our front seven made them look good. When we switched to a defense that we didn;t have the

personnel for secondary got exposed

In a 3-4 the pass rush doesn't very often come from the line. It comes from the OLBs who are like the DEs in a 4-3 scheme. That needs to be fixed before even looking at the line.

As IrishJet said, NS, Taylor plays OLB in the 34 and rushes the blind side of the Quarterback, which is what Bryan Thomas did last season. This season, for some ungodly reason, early on and even now, they switched Thomas and put Hobson as the blind side blitzhing OLB which totally ****ed up this defense. There was no pressure, and you know why? Because Hobson is slow as dog ****. I love him as a 43 OLB, but as a 34 OLB? Not so much. Especially when blitzing the blind side.

I don't know if Thomas' bad year was because of his big contract and getting too comfortable or if it was the coaching staff thinking they could turn anyone on the team into a blind side blitzing 34 OLB.

Not always...he's many a time up on the line. He's never been voted into the pro bowl as a LB...never.

Thats because the Dolphins still mainly play in the 43. He gets the majority of his sacks in the 43 Defensive End mode.

In a 3-4 the pass rush doesn't very often come from the line. It comes from the OLBs who are like the DEs in a 4-3 scheme. That needs to be fixed before even looking at the line.

Actually if comes from both the 3-4 force and offense to be conscious of the blitz with this said this will make an offense draft or sign a larger Tailback for blocking and chipping and or bring in another TE

Actually if comes from both the 3-4 force and offense to be conscious of the blitz with this said this will make an offense draft or sign a larger Tailback for blocking and chipping and or bring in another TE

I meant the sacks usually go to the OLBs. The line is a big part of the pass rush but their job is to occupy blockers to free the LBs for shots at the QB.

Archived