Pennington starts next year!

lancemehl

Joe, at Pennington's best which is probably 2002, that's all you're going to get. I don't even know if he can get us to that point again, but he's not the type to get us past that point and that's the problem.

Maybe, maybe not. If he has the right team around him, he could get a team to the Super Bowl (IF he goes back to the Pennington before 2007, where he wasn't throwing pick six's and interceptions in the 4th quarter). If Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson can win Super Bowl's, so can Chad Pennington. Granted, I think he's a better Quarterback than both of those guys and could do it with less talent than either of those teams had.

Everyone likes to say, "Well, Chad only led us to 3 points against Pittsburgh in the 2004 Divisional game". Well, as true as that is, he still had us in the game. He didn't make critical mistakes just as much as he didn't put up a lot of points. And, if Doug Brien doesn't miss TWICE in the span of two minutes then the Jets go on to New England where they probably lose, but you never know in the NFL. Any Given Sunday.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having Chad as the backup next year is a recipe for disaster. The last thing we need is the stupid ****ing media and the stupid ****ing fans causing a QB controversy after each Jets loss w/Kellen at QB.

We need a vet who knows his place or another rookie to come in that wont distract the entire team by his presence on the sideline, like Chad would.

Chad can't bring anyone to the superbowl, he had his chance. He is not going to get a better defense or a better running game than he has had in the past. His physical skills are also diminished to the point of nonexistence.

Having Chad as the backup next year is a recipe for disaster. The last thing we need is the stupid ****ing media and the stupid ****ing fans causing a QB controversy after each Jets loss w/Kellen at QB.

We need a vet who knows his place or another rookie to come in that wont distract the entire team by his presence on the sideline, like Chad would.

So what your saying is you want a **** backup???:confused0082:

Chad can't bring anyone to the superbowl, he had his chance. He is not going to get a better defense or a better running game than he has had in the past. His physical skills are also diminished to the point of nonexistence.

He could take A team to a superbowl IMO, just not this team.

So what your saying is you want a **** backup???:confused0082:

A Kurt Warner type, or a rookie we take in the middle rounds. What is wrong with that?

This team doesnt need a QB controversy every week next season. And thats EXACTLY what you'd get with Chad on the roster next year.

And OBTW, the Jets were a BETTER offense with Kellen at QB in 2007 then they were with Chad. More PPG, more wins etc etc.

Chad's a goner.

A Kurt Warner type, or a rookie we take in the middle rounds. What is wrong with that?

This team doesnt need a QB controversy every week next season. And thats EXACTLY what you'd get with Chad on the roster next year.

And OBTW, the Jets were a BETTER offense with Kellen at QB in 2007 then they were with Chad. More PPG, more wins etc etc.

Chad's a goner.

A Kurt Warner type would still provide as much as a controversy at QB than Chad would, maybe even moreso. If Kellen struggles to the point where he really is awful then we need a viable backup to replace him. I agree that it shouldn't be Chad but it should be someone who provides Kellen with some good competition.

Chad's a goner.

Kellen won games but the defense also improved in the second half of the season as well.

I will not say Chad would've won as many games, because you don't know that, but when the defense is letting up 10-17 points a game, you should be able to put up a couple of touchdowns and win the game.

Now, yes, Chad only put up 6 in a loss to Tennesse in which the defense only allowed 10 points but that also was arguably the best defense the Jets faced in the second half of the season.

A Quarterback controversy? Why? Whoever wins, wins. Both started 8 games in 2007 and next year the coaching staff has to decide, after Free Agency and the Draft, on who gives them the best chance to win games in 2008 and going foward.

Again, I am not saying I want Chad starting, but I am saying I want him back because competition is a good thing for Clemens.

Kellen won games but the defense also improved in the second half of the season as well.

I will not say Chad would've won as many games, because you don't know that, but when the defense is letting up 10-17 points a game, you should be able to put up a couple of touchdowns and win the game.

Now, yes, Chad only put up 6 in a loss to Tennesse in which the defense only allowed 10 points but that also was arguably the best defense the Jets faced in the second half of the season.

A Quarterback controversy? Why? Whoever wins, wins. Both started 8 games in 2007 and next year the coaching staff has to decide, after Free Agency and the Draft, on who gives them the best chance to win games in 2008 and going foward.

Again, I am not saying I want Chad starting, but I am saying I want him back because competition is a good thing for Clemens.

What about competition for the Nuge?

A Kurt Warner type would still provide as much as a controversy at QB than Chad would, maybe even moreso. If Kellen struggles to the point where he really is awful then we need a viable backup to replace him. I agree that it shouldn't be Chad but it should be someone who provides Kellen with some good competition.

Ha. No it wouldnt, and its not even close. You sign Kurt Warner specifically to be your backup, therefore it would be common knowledge he'd be your backup. That would NOT be the case with Chad Pennington.

What about competition for the Nuge?

Doesn't need it. The guy finished the season strong, despite the miss against Tennessee in which we lost the game by four points. The blocked extra point was due to Ferguson missing his blocking assignment, not to a poor kick.

Let me rewind the tape to about 2 months ago where you said Chad will never win a superbowl for the NY Jets...........

btw did ecurb hack into your account?

He couldn't bring the pats to the superbowl.

I completely agree, and it's not just my disdain for Chad. If you watched any Pats games tis year, Brady has been absolutely phenominal at feeling the rush and stepping up to avoid it. He is also throwing bullets into some seriously tight spots. All those weapons on their O is meaningless without a QB who can use them effectively which is why Chad would not win the superbowl with them.

Chad is now a stain on our team that needs to be removed simply for the team to move on.

Can't we just have Clemens try to stop sucking? I'm sure there wouldn't be much controversy if he were ranked in the top 30.

Let me rewind the tape to about 2 months ago where you said Chad will never win a superbowl for the NY Jets...........

btw did ecurb hack into your account?

He won't. Not with this current roster and not with the 2008 roster either, unless of course we somehow find a way to trade for the Patriots', Ravens' or Chargers' Defensive Line and sign Terrell Suggs. ;) Oh, and make major upgrades at Left Guard and Right Tackle as well.

Chad's a game manager, he needs a strong team around him. If the Jets can give him that, why not give him a shot at the job in 2008? If Kellen wins, great. If he doesn't, then we can admit we made a mistake and move foward.

Can't we just have Clemens try to stop sucking? I'm sure there wouldn't be much controversy if he were ranked in the top 30.

TEN seems to be willing to see if Vince Young will stop sucking. AZ seems to be willing to see if Leinart will ever stop sucking enough to beat out Kurt Warner. Why can't Kellen have that same luxury? Becuase Jets fans have no idea how to allow a young player to develop before calling him a bust. At least Vince Young has a GREAT offensive line and still sucks. Thankfully their D and running games are great enough to get them to the playoffs. Ours is not.

He won't. Not with this current roster and not with the 2008 roster either, unless of course we somehow find a way to trade for the Patriots', Ravens' or Chargers' Defensive Line and sign Terrell Suggs. ;) Oh, and make major upgrades at Left Guard and Right Tackle as well.

Chad's a game manager, he needs a strong team around him. If the Jets can give him that, why not give him a shot at the job in 2008? If Kellen wins, great. If he doesn't, then we can admit we made a mistake and move foward.

Because the goal of every season is to get to and win the SB. If their a player we KNOW can't help that cause, you get rid of him. The Jets need to get rid of him for the sake of moving on already.

Because the goal of every season is to get to and win the SB. If their a player we KNOW can't help that cause, you get rid of him. The Jets need to get rid of him for the sake of moving on already.

If he doesn't win the job and would restructure his contract, which I know is a long shot, wouldn't you like knowing you have an expierenced veteran on the bench if an injury were to occur to Clemens? He would be the best back-up in the NFL hands down.

And really, if you can improve the team enough for Pennington to succeed, then whose to say he can't get you to and win you the Super Bowl? What matters this offseason is how much can the Jets improve, if they even improve at all. We don't know what will happen. Right now, Clemens should be the guy. However, if the team improved around the Quarterback position and Pennington beats out Clemens, he should be given a shot to bring the team as far as he can one last time. If its Divisional Round and out again, so be it. Find your next Quarterback.

:shock:

I'm pretty sure you and I have seen this movie many times before. It always ends the same - never well.

If he doesn't win the job and would restructure his contract, which I know is a long shot, wouldn't you like knowing you have an expierenced veteran on the bench if an injury were to occur to Clemens? He would be the best back-up in the NFL hands down.

And really, if you can improve the team enough for Pennington to succeed, then whose to say he can't get you to and win you the Super Bowl? What matters this offseason is how much can the Jets improve, if they even improve at all. We don't know what will happen. Right now, Clemens should be the guy. However, if the team improved around the Quarterback position and Pennington beats out Clemens, he should be given a shot to bring the team as far as he can one last time. If its Divisional Round and out again, so be it. Find your next Quarterback.

I'd be more confident with Jim Sorgi as our back-up.

Ha. No it wouldnt, and its not even close. You sign Kurt Warner specifically to be your backup, therefore it would be common knowledge he'd be your backup. That would NOT be the case with Chad Pennington.

Look what happened Matt Leinart, who was drafted waaaaaay ahead of Clemens. The backup QB can become very popular, very quickly. If Kellen totally ****s the bed next season I want some sort of plan B. I'm happy with Kellen battling for the starting job, giving it to him without any kind of competition is ridiculous.

Chad would be nothing but a distraction here as a backup. I've seen what he is incapable of doing as a QB and have had enough. Sure I want an experiene vet as a backup, but not Chad. Period.

Chad had a phenominal team the last time we made the playoffs under Herm. We were on the same level of both PIT and NE. Our D was playing ferocious, Curtis was the leading rusher in the league, and we were a force. The only problem was Chad could not muster any passing game at all, and then Herm squashed any last shot of the D and RB winning games themselves with his stupidity. If we had a QB of even Delhomme's level on that team we were in the SB.

Look what happened Matt Leinart, who was drafted waaaaaay ahead of Clemens. The backup QB can become very popular, very quickly. If Kellen totally ****s the bed next season I want some sort of plan B. I'm happy with Kellen battling for the starting job, giving it to him without any kind of competition is ridiculous.

Completely different situation because the cardinals 2007 regime (whisenhunt) was not the regime that drafted Matt Leinart and signed Kurt Warner to be the backup QB. That was the dennis green regime.

Chad had a phenominal team the last time we made the playoffs under Herm. We were on the same level of both PIT and NE. Our D was playing ferocious, Curtis was the leading rusher in the league, and we were a force. The only problem was Chad could not muster any passing game at all, and then Herm squashed any last shot of the D and RB winning games themselves with his stupidity. If we had a QB of even Delhomme's level on that team we were in the SB.

Who were Chad's Wide Receivers? Santana Moss, who isn't the type of guy Chad suceeds with, and Justin McCareins would be the correct answers. Not the best guys to be starting are they? Neither is an over the middle or catch and run type of guy, guys we have currently in Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery.

The defense we had was nice, but did you seriously think that secondary was all that good? I'm not saying it was a horrible defense, it was playing pretty well, but as well as Pittsburgh's or New England's? Hardly.

We stayed in that Pittsburgh game due to Roethlisberger making some stupid decisions, Santana Moss' punt return and Pennington not turning the ball over.

New England was a much better team than us or Pittsburgh for that matter, and it showed the following week when the Patriots just killed them offensively. Did you think our defense was going to fair that much better against Tom Brady than Pittsburgh, the number one defense in the league that year, did? I didn't. I thought we had a chance, but still I didn't see us definitely winning that game.

Who were Chad's Wide Receivers? Santana Moss, who isn't the type of guy Chad suceeds with, and Justin McCareins would be the correct answers. Not the best guys to be starting are they? Neither is an over the middle or catch and run type of guy, guys we have currently in Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery.

The defense we had was nice, but did you seriously think that secondary was all that good? I'm not saying it was a horrible defense, it was playing pretty well, but as well as Pittsburgh's or New England's? Hardly.

We stayed in that Pittsburgh game due to Roethlisberger making some stupid decisions, Santana Moss' punt return and Pennington not turning the ball over.

New England was a much better team than us or Pittsburgh for that matter, and it showed the following week when the Patriots just killed them offensively. Did you think our defense was going to fair that much better against Tom Brady than Pittsburgh, the number one defense in the league that year, did? I didn't. I thought we had a chance, but still I didn't see us definitely winning that game.

No, but they would fair well enough that if we had a QB that was at least capable of putting some points on the board against a solid D we would have had a good chance. Chad sucks, move on.

I am pretty sure I can search and find about 500 posts you've made that say the exact opposite of that.

You are starting to sound like the same people you argued with for years. Do you have amnesia?

Wait... what? What happened to 124?

Don't get me wrong, it would take probably two, maybe three years for a team to get to that point where Pennington would have the best chance of leading them far in the playoffs. That is why if he is shipped out I'd like him to be sent to Minnesota, he would make them an threat right away in the NFC because they already have a team that has what he needs.

Don't get me wrong, it would take probably two, maybe three years for a team to get to that point where Pennington would have the best chance of leading them far in the playoffs. That is why if he is shipped out I'd like him to be sent to Minnesota, he would make them an threat right away in the NFC because they already have a team that has what he needs.

He would be amazing with the Vikings. They always have wide open WR's when they run play action. Jackson however misses them as much as he hits them.

• 3 weeks later...
If Chad doesn't start next year, we will be screwed. Chad is the best leader in the NFL, and has awsome pocket presance. There is no quaterback in this draft worth him, the might duck isn't in his league either.

Chad had better be back.

This hurt to read and I'm a fan of Chad's...lol.

Archived