Piniella Continues to Embarrass Baseball, Devil Rays

TomShane

Apparently Piniella, frustrated with his starters inability to hold leads, will open the game with a releiver going to the first two innings, after which the starter will come in for six innings and then hand it off the the closer.

If you're a Devil Ray at this point, why don't you begin a mutiny? Seriously. Your f'ing manager has done nothing but sh*t on you all season and now he's going to embarrass the ENTIRE pitching staff in a low-class move. What a punk. If I'm a Devil Ray player, I tell ownership that I'm not taking the field for Piniella and that they should just cut me or stick me in Triple-A. That's just ridiculous.

Apparently Piniella, frustrated with his starters inability to hold leads, will open the game with a releiver going to the first two innings, after which the starter will come in for six innings and then hand it off the the closer.

If you're a Devil Ray at this point, why don't you begin a mutiny? Seriously. Your f'ing manager has done nothing but Sh#t on you all season and now he's going to embarrass the ENTIRE pitching staff in a low-class move. What a punk. If I'm a Devil Ray player, I tell ownership that I'm not taking the field for Piniella and that they should just cut me or stick me in Triple-A. That's just ridiculous.

Actually, Tony Larussa did something very similar years ago saying that his pitchers would go three innings at a time..it's out of the norm but what the hell else do you expect Lou to do? He sure as hell isn't winning with conventional methods and at this point he has one of the best offensive teams in baseball and still can't win. I applaud him for breaking from the norm to try and shake things up.

Another thing to consider is this: Those starters won't get credit for a "start" now. I'm sure their agents will have a slight issue with this policy, and this will end up in front of clueless Bud.

And I hear you about Lou being frustrated with Naimoli, but don't take it out on the players. That's wrong. He's got a young team down there and he's embarrassing them at every turn. It's not their fault that their owner sucks.

Lou feels that he is actually increasing his teams chances of winning by doing this.

Not sure what is wrong with that exactly. Oh execpt the stat thing. You are right Tom, Lou should worry about that. [-X

when i played college ball we used to play a fall schedule where the pitchers would throw 1 or 2 innings each to get work in. it was actually pretty hard to hit against b/c you only got 1 ab per pitcher and never had an opportunity to adjust. it was more see ball hit ball than actually looking for certain pitches.

i think lou is basically daring tampa to fire him and pay him rather than quit. reminds me of something costanza would do.

i think lou is basically daring tampa to fire him and pay him rather than quit. reminds me of something costanza would do.

LOLOL!!!

Soon you'll see Lou in his car circling the parking lot infront of tropicana field with the owners niece tied to the back of the car.

What exactly do you guys propose Lou do?

The team is absolutely devoid of talent

Aside from Kazmir, who is on the rotation?

Aside from Baez (who shouldn't be on the all-star team over crawford) who's in the pen?

Aside from Cantu and Crawford, who can actually hit the ball?

There is barely enough talent in the offense to keep them in games and there is absolutely no talent in the bullpen to hold a lead. All this while having one of hte lowest payrolls of all of baseball and a farm system that is still going to take a few more years to get some good players out. (Where in the world is Josh Hamilton?)

What exactly do you guys propose Lou do?

How about suck it up and be a professional? Nobody twisted his freaking arm to take that sh*tty Tampa job in the first place. If I remember correctly he whined his way out of Seattle too. So the team has no talent and supposedly Lou was "promised" a front line starter. Well, guess what Lou, you're coaching in Tampa Bay. Maybe if that jackass wasn't weeping on camera about how bad his young players are and how awful his pitchers are people would actually buy a ticket to see a game. Then his owner could turn around and GET that front-line starter. I'm almost glad that Naimoli is sticking to his guns here. If Lou wasn't such a gutless prick he'd quit, but of course he won't do that because then he'd lose his money. So the next time Idiot Lou wants to cry that he was cheated Naimoli should just say, well Lou, there's the door.

Yeah, I've had it with this lowlife clown Piniella. Time to pull the plug on a career, ya crazy old fart! You cant make up what a fool this man is! Every single time you think he cant do or say anything more ridiculous...he outdoes himself.

Shane is 100% right...since Lou is such a fan of the beanball, one of the D-Ray pitchers ought to fire a high heater into the bullpen and drill Lou right between the eyes. That pitcher would be doing us all a favor, including Lou himself. Zim for D-Rays manager!!!

The team is absolutely devoid of talent

Aside from Kazmir, who is on the rotation?

Aside from Baez (who shouldn't be on the all-star team over crawford) who's in the pen?

Aside from Cantu and Crawford, who can actually hit the ball?

(Where in the world is Josh Hamilton?)

Devoid of talent and only two guys can actually hit the ball? You're kidding right? If they are devoid of talent and can't the ball then how in the world do they have the 9th best team BA in MLB and have scored more runs than 16 other teams? Not exactly murderers row but far from "devoid of talent". And keep in mind that they've done this with their best plaer (Aubrey Huff) tanking it. He's been heating up for the past few days so if he starts to hit the ball they're that much better. What they've definitely been lacking is a guy with consistent power but with Huff starting to hit and Damon Hollins hitting 7 HRs since being called up it wouldn't be far fetched to expect 10-15 from him in the second half.

They're nickel and dimers, a bunch of guys who can hit between .270-.290. Six or seven guys like that in a lineup can score some runs as evidenced by the fact that they have done just that.

As far as Josh Hamilton goes, his career has been marred by back injuries that no doctor could properly diagnose followed by missing a season due to drug use. Haven't heard him mentioned in a couple of years.

They also have some great young talent in AAA. BJ Upton should be in the bigs soon along with Joey Gathright (if you haven't seen this kid run, you're missing out. Might be the fastest guy I've ever seen on the bases), and Delmon Young (Dmitris younger brother) is one of hottest players in the minors this season. If I were a D-Ray fan I would be PISSED at ownerships unwillingness to pay anybody to come to Tampa. They have a good young necleus to build around but they just have no desire to build.

The drays have some serious young talent. Kazmir, Baldelli, Crawford, Huff, Cantu and some upandcomers in the farm system.

I went to a drays game last year, and daaaaamn that gathright is easily the fastest player I have ever seen. Faster than Crawford, if you can imagine that.

The drays have some serious young talent. Kazmir, Baldelli, Crawford, Huff, Cantu and some upandcomers in the farm system.

I went to a drays game last year, and daaaaamn that gathright is easily the fastest player I have ever seen. Faster than Crawford, if you can imagine that.

Barton, Crawford said himself in an interview that Gathright is the fastest player in baseball and Jimmy Rollins said that when he ran next to Gathright doing sprints he felt like he was standing still

Archived