who gets the call to HOF

afosomf

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I cant beleive only Goose got in. That aint right, Rice and Dawson deserve it as well.

Agree 100% on those 2. And that is it from the names on this year's ballot. Guys like Justice, Trammel, Bert Blyleven, Tommy John, Lee Smith, just do not make it IMO. They were good to great players, but they were not elite, top-of-the-line, in any generation types. Same with Morris, who is as tough a gamer as there is.

Rice will get in next year. You can't come THIS close and get props EVERY year from pitchers saying he was the most feared hitter of his time and NOT get in.

It's usually from pitchers that have been trying to get in multiple times as well. I remember Rice vividly...don't get me wrong, he was a very good player. Great? No way...and my rule for entering the HOF is, if you have a vote and have to think about whether a player should get in or not, you ain't getting in.

It's usually from pitchers that have been trying to get in multiple times as well. I remember Rice vividly...don't get me wrong, he was a very good player. Great? No way...and my rule for entering the HOF is, if you have a vote and have to think about whether a player should get in or not, you ain't getting in.

From 1975 through 1984 or so, no one ever had to think when asked the following question..............

"Who is the most feared hitter in the game?""

The answer was always Jim Rice.

That alone, plus his solid stats for his time period, gets him in. It is a travesty of justice that the writers have kept him out this long.

Never saw him play, but he has all-time great numbers.

There are worse pitchers already in Cooperstown.

I did see him play. Always a solid pitcher. Never a great. His name never came up when the conversation was about the best pitchers in the game, or who would you want to start a game if your season depended on it.

Never.

He does not deserve to get in, and neither does Tommy John.

From 1975 through 1984 or so, no one ever had to think when asked the following question..............

"Who is the most feared hitter in the game?""

The answer was always Jim Rice.

That alone, plus his solid stats for his time period, gets him in. It is a travesty of justice that the writers have kept him out this long.

No, it wasn't always Jim Rice...look up his stats if you want to go by stats. He played 16 years in the bigs...8 of those years he was picked as an All Star...and only 4 of those years as a starter. When you compare him to other OF's like Mantle, Mays, Aaron, etc., who were All Stars every year, he's not even in the same ballpark (no pun intended). I'll go with Reggie Jackson as the most feared hitter in the game during the time period you posted.

No, it wasn't always Jim Rice...look up his stats if you want to go by stats. He played 16 years in the bigs...8 of those years he was picked as an All Star...and only 4 of those years as a starter. When you compare him to other OF's like Mantle, Mays, Aaron, etc., who were All Stars every year, he's not even in the same ballpark (no pun intended). I'll go with Reggie Jackson as the most feared hitter in the game during the time period you posted.

I have to disagree, and I loved Reggie, especially when he was a Yankee. But the 1 guy you never wanted up, at any time of the game, was Rice. He was deadly, especially, it seems, against the Yankees.

Reggie was great in late season, and had his share of dramatic HRs. But Rice was the 1 guy every pitcher was afraid of, all the time. His name was always at the top of the list when the question came up.

I have to disagree, and I loved Reggie, especially when he was a Yankee. But the 1 guy you never wanted up, at any time of the game, was Rice. He was deadly, especially, it seems, against the Yankees.

Reggie was great in late season, and had his share of dramatic HRs. But Rice was the 1 guy every pitcher was afraid of, all the time. His name was always at the top of the list when the question came up.

See, this is what I mean about players like Rice...we are debating whether he should be in the HOF or not...if a player is clear cut HOF matertial, there shouldn't be room for debate. The players I mentioned as an example (Mantle, Mays and Aaron), do you really think there was a debate whether to vote these guys in or not?

Are there players in the HOF with Rice like numbers...yes. Doesn't make it right though.

Given the caliber of players they're letting in nowadays, I don't see how Rice is left out. He's better than plenty of guys who are in. Forget All-Star games; a guy who finished in the top-5 in MVP voting (and won it once) means he was considered great, not a "very good" player who's career stats look "great" in hindsight. Certainly a more feared hitter than Paul Molitor.

And while he was surely a feared hitter, I'd think the most feared hitter in that timespan was Mike Schmidt with Reggie being a close second (however more famous/popular Reggie was). I think there were plenty of times someone would have rather faced Rice than George Brett as well, even if Rice had more home run power.

Given the caliber of players they're letting in nowadays, I don't see how Rice is left out. He's better than plenty of guys who are in. Forget All-Star games; a guy who finished in the top-5 in MVP voting (and won it once) means he was considered great, not a "very good" player who's career stats look "great" in hindsight. Certainly a more feared hitter than Paul Molitor.

And while he was surely a feared hitter, I'd think the most feared hitter in that timespan was Mike Schmidt with Reggie being a close second (however more famous/popular Reggie was). I think there were plenty of times someone would have rather faced Rice than George Brett as well, even if Rice had more home run power.

So, what you're saying in essence is that because there are other players in the HOF with numbers less than Rice, he should be in? Is that about it? Because like I said, I watched that guy many of times and didn't consider him great while I was watching...very good, but not great. Was he a feared hitter? Yes, but that is not a prerequisite for getting into the HOF. The woods are full of hitters that are considered "feared" hitters...Rocky Colavito, Willie Horton, Tony Perez, Frank Howard, Orlando Cepeda, etc...if I looked up names the list would probably be endless.

Let's put in Roger Maris while we're at it...two MVP's and in my opinion still holds the HR record.

I go back to my original statement, if you have to think about it, he doesn't deserve to get in and that's why writers haven't vote him in yet...too much thinking.

Don't worry though, the votes are getting close as the years pass by and with enough fan backlash and writers who witnessed him play dying off, Rice will get in. And that's a shame for the truly "great" players that are enshrined.

So, what you're saying in essence is that because there are other players in the HOF with numbers less than Rice, he should be in? Is that about it? Because like I said, I watched that guy many of times and didn't consider him great while I was watching...very good, but not great. Was he a feared hitter? Yes, but that is not a prerequisite for getting into the HOF. The woods are full of hitters that are considered "feared" hitters...Rocky Colavito, Willie Horton, Tony Perez, Frank Howard, Orlando Cepeda, etc...if I looked up names the list would probably be endless.

Let's put in Roger Maris while we're at it...two MVP's and in my opinion still holds the HR record.

I go back to my original statement, if you have to think about it, he doesn't deserve to get in and that's why writers haven't vote him in yet...too much thinking.

Don't worry though, the votes are getting close as the years pass by and with enough fan backlash and writers who witnessed him play dying off, Rice will get in. And that's a shame for the truly "great" players that are enshrined.

Freakin' Don Sutton is in the HOF. 'nuff said.

They began to make it the Hall Of Very Good years ago IMO. So why shut Rice out if that's what it's going to be?

You and a couple of pissed of sports writers are the only ones 'thinking' about it. For a five year span, Rice was the most feared hitter in MLB.

He belongs in.

Freakin' Don Sutton is in the HOF. 'nuff said.

They began to make it the Hall Of Very Good years ago IMO. So why shut Rice out if that's what it's going to be?

Hey Sperm, two words...Curtis Martin. The thing is, CM was a better football player then Rice was a ballplayer and thus he will go in on the first ballot. But, both of these guys are not "great" when you start comparing them to the "true greats" that played the game.

Hey Sperm, two words...Curtis Martin. The thing is, CM was a better football player then Rice was a ballplayer and thus he will go in on the first ballot. But, both of these guys are not "great" when you start comparing them to the "true greats" that played the game.

Rice was a 'true great', and was better in his game than Curtis ever was in his.

Like I said, it's just you and a couple of pissed off old sports writers who are having this argument.

Rice belongs in the Hall.

You do not have to think about it. He was one of the most feared hitters. It is not a matetr of debate. He was.

It is not like we are talking about the 10th or 15th best player. You can make an argument he was the most feared hitter.

BTW the most likely reason he is not in is because he was an ass to writers.

There are many players who weren't "great" in the HOF. Why are you drawing the line at Rice?

It couldn't be because he's a Red Sox, could it?

You guys are too much...most of you guys were too young to remember him playing. Yeah, that's it, because he was a Red Sox. What's with this "fear" factor with Rice? Like I said, the last time I looked, that wasn't part of the ballot to getting in.

And if you're going to put him in, put Orlando Cepeda in as well...similar players that are borderline.

You guys are too much...most of you guys were too young to remember him playing. Yeah, that's it, because he was a Red Sox. What's with this "fear" factor with Rice? Like I said, the last time I looked, that wasn't part of the ballot to getting in.

And if you're going to put him in, put Orlando Cepeda in as well...similar players that are borderline.

I'm old enough to remember.

You know who you're describing? A very good player that doesn't belong in the Hall? Don Mattingly. Rice was twice the player Donnie Baseball ever was.

When was Martin ever considered the best back in the NFL?

Rice was one of the most feared hitters in MLB for about 10 years. From 1976-1979, I would say he was the most feared.

Martin never reached that pinnacle. He was a number compiler.

When was Martin ever considered the best back in the NFL?

Rice was one of the most feared hitters in MLB for about 10 years. From 1976-1979, I would say he was the most feared.

Martin never reached that pinnacle. He was a number compiler.

Again, WTF does being a feared hitter have to do with getting into the HOF?

Whatever.

At the tail end of his career in 1986 Rice hit 20 HR's and had 110 RBI's. That performance helped the Sox make the World Series.

See, now we have a bunch of Red Sox homers here. And who the **** said Donnie baseball belongs in the HOF?

Don't worry guys, you keep on crying about it, he'll eventually get in.

All I said was that you described the kind of career that Mattingly had. Very good, but not elite. Rice was a better player than Donnie. Believe me, there are plenty of Yankee fans who believe that he belongs in the HOF.

I'm not crying, believe me. I am tear free over this.

It is my opinion that Rice belongs in the HOF, and it's your opinion that he doesn't. It's not a big deal.

Whatever.

At the tail end of his career in 1986 Rice hit 20 HR's and had 110 RBI's. That performance helped the Sox make the World Series.

This is a fun topic...I'm really enjoying it. I have Thor telling me that the reason why Rice isn't in it is because of the media...like the media liked Teddy. I have PFSIKH telling me he was the most feared player in baseball (something I don't happen to agree with) and that's at ticket into the HOF. And you're telling me that at the tail end of his career he helped the Sox make it to the WS...wow, just wow.

Guys, if you really think he deserves to be in that's fine. Like Sperm said, there a lot of guys in the HOF with questionable stats...Rice would make another...LOL.

This is a fun topic...I'm really enjoying it. I have Thor telling me that the reason why Rice isn't in it is because of the media...like the media liked Teddy. I have PFSIKH telling me he was the most feared player in baseball (something I don't happen to agree with) and that's at ticket into the HOF. And you're telling me that at the tail end of his career he helped the Sox make it to the WS...wow, just wow.

Guys, if you really think he deserves to be in that's fine. Like Sperm said, there a lot of guys in the HOF with questionable stats...Rice would make another...LOL.

I'm telling you. Jim Rice should be in the HOF.

Archived