Hank and Hal backing away

Blackout

Source: Yankees pull trade offer for Santana

ESPN.com news services

Updated: January 14, 2008, 11:59 AM ET

For the second time this offseason, the Yankees have pulled their Phil Hughes-centered trade offer for Johan Santana off the table.

The Yankees, then, will not restart trade talks with the Twins unless Hank Steinbrenner has another change of heart, a baseball official with knowledge of the talks told 1050 ESPN Radio's Andrew Marchand.

The Yankees' desire Monday to turn their attention away from the two-time Cy Young winner leaves Boston and the New York Mets as Minnesota's trade partners, the official told Marchand.

"We're not desperate, so we're not going to chase anything," Steinbrenner told the New York Daily News in early January.

Multiple reports have speculated the Yankees' offer includes pitcher Hughes, outfielder Melky Cabrera, pitching prospect Jeff Marquez and another prospect.

When asked about the Yankees' package of players, Steinbrenner would not comment but did tell the Daily News that "it's still the best one. And let's face it, we're the best able to handle the kind of [nine-figure extension] Santana will be after."

It remains unclear of late if the Twins intend to trade Santana before the start of the 2008 season or hold onto him until the July trade deadline. Minnesota's earlier offer to extend the left-hander's contract by four years and $80 million was rejected.

Rick Anderson, the Twins' pitching coach, wants to see an outcome as much as anyone.

"I wake up in the morning and hurry up and open up the paper to see if anything happened," Anderson, who has tutored Santana since 2002, the first year his potential began to show, told The Associated Press.

Santana has been in Venezuela since the regular season ended, but he recently arrived in Fort Myers, Fla., to start his workouts.

In his first published comments this winter, Santana told the local newspaper that he didn't know what to think about the situation.

"I'm a Minnesota Twin. That's all I know. It's up to them. Whatever they have to do is going to happen. It has nothing to do with me at all," Santana told the News-Press of Fort Myers recently. "I said it from the beginning during the season last year, whatever will be the best for this team and this organization, I'll agree with that."

Santana's agent, Peter Greenberg, told AP last week his relationship with new Twins general manager Bill Smith has remained strong through this drawn-out process as rumors -- both founded and otherwise -- swirl throughout the oversaturated sports media market.

Greenberg, in an e-mail, insisted he has not demanded to Smith that he complete a deal before Twins pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report on Feb. 17.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3195926

H&H incorporated backs away from another business proposal.

Kinda glad, I'd rather keep the 3-4 players.

I doubt they're completely out of it. I do think Santana will start the season with the Twins. Like I said before , he will be available to us for a pack of peanuts and a scorecard at the trading deadline.

Why would a team commit a better package to the Twins in the middle of the season, when most assuredly, Santana will not waive his no trade rights? Why would Santana ink a eal, when he 5 months away from Free Agency and sign with a team he WANTS to be with.

And, are the Twins expected to go to camp with a player they have essentially told they do not want on their roster?

I would be very surprised if Sanatana is a Twin come opening day. Of course, anything can happen.

Oh, and on the Steinbrenner's, what Billy Martin said about George, applies to the sons. Even though they have not been convicted of it yet.

I'm with Scott here. I doubt the Twins go to April, or maybe not even ST, with Santana on the roster. I think this is a PR move, to get the price down a bit. Maybe the Yankees want to offer Kennedy instead of Hughes, along with Melky, Marquez, and a lower level guy.

I do not see the Twins getting any decent offer in July. It will be impossible to sign Santana 2 months before FA.

there treating hughes like a yo-yo, seriously. there out of it......again. didnt they just use this story a month ago when they didn't want santana anymore. in the course of 4 months they've wanted him, then didn't, then wanted him, then didn't. i don't believe anything they say anymore

The Yankees are offering the best offer to Minny. Minny wants more because of who is offering it. I say tell the twins to go **** themselves and in the end when they take a lesser deal because they were greedy.

Anyway you slice it.....We won't get Santana and we should.

I'm with Scott here. I doubt the Twins go to April, or maybe not even ST, with Santana on the roster. I think this is a PR move, to get the price down a bit. Maybe the Yankees want to offer Kennedy instead of Hughes, along with Melky, Marquez, and a lower level guy.

I do not see the Twins getting any decent offer in July. It will be impossible to sign Santana 2 months before FA.

How can you say that? Suppose the Yanks and the Sox are within a handful of games between themselves and the Twins are out of the race...you don't think a deal can be made? Yanks or Red Sox will want his services and pay a hefty price.

Not sure about that. If the Yankees/Mets/Sox are struggling, they will make a good offer. Also I think Santana would sign an extension with the aforementioned teams because he knows they will most likely give him the most money in free agency anyway.

Not sure about that. If the Yankees/Mets/Sox are struggling, they will make a good offer. Also I think Santana would sign an extension with the aforementioned teams because he knows they will most likely give him the most money in free agency anyway.

If a player is close to FA, why limit your bidding to ONE team?

And why does that one team necessarily have to be the one to give him the most money?

Teams will be more ready to pony up on a deal, if they do not have the double whammy of giving away part of their farm.

there treating hughes like a yo-yo, seriously. there out of it......again. didnt they just use this story a month ago when they didn't want santana anymore. in the course of 4 months they've wanted him, then didn't, then wanted him, then didn't. i don't believe anything they say anymore

Yes and that is why you shouldn't have believed it then or now.

twins got greedy

How can you say that? Suppose the Yanks and the Sox are within a handful of games between themselves and the Twins are out of the race...you don't think a deal can be made? Yanks or Red Sox will want his services and pay a hefty price.

In July, Santana becomes a 2 month rental, no matter the circumstances with the team he is traded to. Unless they offer him a 6-7 year deal at $25 million, or more, there is no way he signs a contract 2 months before 30 teams can bid on his services. And more than just the Yankees, Mets or Bosox will be bidders if he hits free agency. And the price will be better for him, as teams do not have to trade the farm to get him. So the only cost is money.

His agent isn't Boras, but Greenberg is no dummy either.

Hence, the return for Santana in July will not be what it is today, or in March.

Archived