Shaun Rogers From JetsCentral

SoFlaJets

exactly. plus, all this ballyhooed focus on "character" just blows up in your face and makes you look like a hypocrite once the inevitable turd slips through the cracks. anyone who looks up to athletes or encourages their kids to do so at an obsessive level is a moron.

yup JGB-a lot of good all those "character" players did for us this year. It was almost comical to read what Mangini said the other day about how no one pointed any fingers at anybody else all through the losing season-big frickin deal-I'd rather have guys slam the podium (like Key Johnson did in 99) in frustration after another loss. We NEED players and coaches that hate to lose more than anything else in the world

yup JGB-a lot of good all those "character" players did for us this year. It was almost comical to read what Mangini said the other day about how no one pointed any fingers at anybody else all through the losing season-big frickin deal-I'd rather have guys slam the podium (like Key Johnson did in 99) in frustration after another loss. We NEED players and coaches that hate to lose more than anything else in the world

It is a business and all, but i don't understand why these guys aren't more frustrated after a loss than what they show. Most (bryan thomas for damn sure) don't give a **** if they lose. They want their paycheck.

I'd rather have 10 guys on my team that were pieces of ****, but brought it come game day, than 1 money grubbing whore like B. Thomas.

I was going to say, I have never heard a 360 lb man described as "lanky" before. He may be too lazy for his paycheck, but he's not too lanky.

You're right, that was a poor use of the English language :shutup: I meant to say his arms are too long - he would fit better at DE but is probably too big for that (if that is possible in a 3-4) Either way he would be playing out of position and unless they can get him to change his attitude, what's the use anyway? If he couldn't be happy on a team that won 7 games, what would he do on a 4 win team? For the kind of money he is going to ask for it may be too much of a risk.

the last time we played The Lions there was a stat up on the screen about how much better Detroit was when he was playing-he's a difference maker and we SHOULD get him but with all these things that fall under "Mangini type players" banner excludes a lot of good solid players that could help this club...look, I don't need some NFL player to be a role model for my kids, I do that myself thank you very much-I want a winning team.

I was wrong on the lanky ... poor choice of words. I meant his arms are long for a NT. He would fit better as a DE in this scheme but either way he would be out of position. I could care less about the character thing. I think this team has gone by that to a fault. You do want leaders on your team that lead by example but it doesn't have to a be a team of choir boys. Bellicheck doesn't seem to mind bringing in "bad boys" and it seems to be working for him. I WANT guys that are gonna play with a meanstreak and passion. Lazyness is another issue. It is something the guy is known for. I agree that the guy is a difference maker (when he wants to be) but it is a big risk to take for a guy who will be asking for a big pay day. They would be better off re-working D-Rob's deal and getting him to take a cut. At least he has 2 years in the scheme. If they do bring him in and he works out I will be more than happy to say I was wrong. I just want them to win as we all do.

fully agree on that

You're right, that was a poor use of the English language :shutup: I meant to say his arms are too long - he would fit better at DE but is probably too big for that (if that is possible in a 3-4) Either way he would be playing out of position and unless they can get him to change his attitude, what's the use anyway? If he couldn't be happy on a team that won 7 games, what would he do on a 4 win team? For the kind of money he is going to ask for it may be too much of a risk.

He could play 3-4 NT for the simple fact that an offence would be crazy not to consistently double block him.

I don't think you could be too big to play the line. I also don't think long arms could ever be a detriment. Maybe he'd lose some leverage, but at that size I doubt it would matter much. As for wanting to get rid of the character first attititude, I'm all for that, but with Rogers you are dealing with a guy that has already been suspended. Guys that far along are a big problem, especially with Goodell's crackdown. This probably isn't the right place to abandon that philosophy. You may be right about the money he'll ask, the key is to ask what he's looking for before you dismiss the idea.

He could play 3-4 NT for the simple fact that an offence would be crazy not to consistently double block him.

Or they'll just let his fat hippo a## bullrush the center 3 yards into the pocket opening up a huge running lane. Rogers plays with no discipline, he's a free lancer at the DT position, plus he's eating his way out of the league.

Or they'll just let his fat hippo a## bullrush the center 3 yards into the pocket opening up a huge running lane. Rogers plays with no discipline, he's a free lancer at the DT position, plus he's eating his way out of the league.

yea and Randy Moss is washed up-the guy is one of the best DT's in the league-better than anyone we have had on our roster since Jason Ferguson-but yea he sucks

I agree that he'd need to play more disciplined but even so he would be a huge huge upgrade over D-Rob.

so he should just stand there in the hole and let the rb runthrough him so the linebackers can tackle him?

Actually yes. It would be great if the NT could rack up 80+ tackles a season, but if he can keep the POA, not getting moved back and occupy multiple blockers than he's doing a damn good job. The said blockers would not be allowed to get to the linebackers and then they would be free to tackle the rb for a two yard gain. So yes, if we could have a big fatty that can occupy a couple blockers while not getting driven back (something drob can't do) and due to his sheer size squeeze the gaps, than i think hes more than worth his money.

so he should just stand there in the hole and let the rb runthrough him so the linebackers can tackle him?

His primary job is to take up blockers, of course he should make the tackle when he gets the oppurtunity but overall his main job is to take up space create gaps for the LB's.

Actually yes. It would be great if the NT could rack up 80+ tackles a season, but if he can keep the POA, not getting moved back and occupy multiple blockers than he's doing a damn good job. The said blockers would not be allowed to get to the linebackers and then they would be free to tackle the rb for a two yard gain. So yes, if we could have a big fatty that can occupy a couple blockers while not getting driven back (something drob can't do) and due to his sheer size squeeze the gaps, than i think hes more than worth his money.

Exactly, notice the likes of Casey Hamton and Jamal Williams don't rack up huge numbers of tackles but still do so much to help their defence.

Some of the NT's best plays, never get a stat.

3rd and goal from the one...Running back hits the hole, or at least what he thought was going to be a hole, and runs into the guard. because the NT is pushing him off the LOS and into the hole. The RB bounces back looks confused, then is smothered by a LB for a 3 yard loss. Nowhere is the NT's # mentioned in the stats. He made the play.

Some of the NT's best plays, never get a stat.

3rd and goal from the one...Running back hits the hole, or at least what he thought was going to be a hole, and runs into the guard. because the NT is pushing him off the LOS and into the hole. The RB bounces back looks confused, then is smothered by a LB for a 3 yard loss. Nowhere is the NT's # mentioned in the stats. He made the play.

GOd i want one of them.

Archived