Rex Ryan staying with Ravens

NIGHT STALKER

Ryan adds assistant head coach title, remains with Ravens

ESPN.com news services

Updated: January 28, 2008, 11:45 AM ET

Rex Ryan, the Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator the past three years, will stay on in the same capacity under new head coach John Harbaugh, the team announced Monday.

Ryan, who had been a candidate for three head coaching vacancies around the NFL, will now also have the title of assistant head coach. He was still under contract with Baltimore even after the Ravens fired head coach Brian Billick after the season ended.

The team plans an afternoon news conference to make the announcement.

In his three seasons as coordinator, Ryan's defense statistically ranked among the top six in the league each year. Baltimore was No. 1 in the NFL in 2006 and also surrendered the fewest points in the league.

Ryan has been an assistant coach in the league for 11 seasons, the last nine of them with the Ravens. After several stints as a college assistant, he joined the staff of the Arizona Cardinals, coached by his father, Buddy Ryan, in 1994. He returned to the college ranks after two years, and then joined Billick's staff in Baltimore in 1999. He was promoted to defensive coordinator in 2005.

Harbaugh has been busy in his short time with the Ravens. He started filling out his staff by hiring former Miami Dolphins head coach Cam Cameron as offensive coordinator earlier this month.

ESPN.com senior NFL writer Len Pasquarelli contributed to this report.

Ryan adds assistant head coach title, remains with Ravens

ESPN.com news services

Updated: January 28, 2008, 11:45 AM ET

Rex Ryan, the Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator the past three years, will stay on in the same capacity under new head coach John Harbaugh, the team announced Monday.

Ryan, who had been a candidate for three head coaching vacancies around the NFL, will now also have the title of assistant head coach. He was still under contract with Baltimore even after the Ravens fired head coach Brian Billick after the season ended.

The team plans an afternoon news conference to make the announcement.

In his three seasons as coordinator, Ryan's defense statistically ranked among the top six in the league each year. Baltimore was No. 1 in the NFL in 2006 and also surrendered the fewest points in the league.

Ryan has been an assistant coach in the league for 11 seasons, the last nine of them with the Ravens. After several stints as a college assistant, he joined the staff of the Arizona Cardinals, coached by his father, Buddy Ryan, in 1994. He returned to the college ranks after two years, and then joined Billick's staff in Baltimore in 1999. He was promoted to defensive coordinator in 2005.

Harbaugh has been busy in his short time with the Ravens. He started filling out his staff by hiring former Miami Dolphins head coach Cam Cameron as offensive coordinator earlier this month.

ESPN.com senior NFL writer Len Pasquarelli contributed to this report.

we are going to be stuck with Sutton

tough to be a jets fan these days

Davis needs to fire Kiffin so he can out Rob Ryan and Rob can gladly sign here. That is our only hope.

Wouldn't it be something if that douche Al Davis hires Rob Ryan as head coach just to spite the Jets? I wouldn't put anything past that senile ****er.

1126263423_0869.jpg

Davis needs to fire Kiffin so he can out Rob Ryan and Rob can gladly sign here. That is our only hope.

Kiffin doesn't want Ryan, he wanted Davis to sign his dad as DC. Davis however wants to keep Ryan as DC. I'm pretty sure that's where the problem emerged in the first place.

Kiffin doesn't want Ryan, he wanted Davis to sign his dad as DC. Davis however wants to keep Ryan as DC. I'm pretty sure that's where the problem emerged in the first place.

Yep, thats what I was trying to say it just come out horribly wrong. :rl:

Davis is such a prick that I suspect his wanting to keep Ryan has as much to do with the rumor that we were about to sign him than really actually wanting him IJ-you see we have a long, storied history with that old bastard going back 40 plus years

Davis is such a prick that I suspect his wanting to keep Ryan has as much to do with the rumor that we were about to sign him than really actually wanting him IJ-you see we have a long, storied history with that old bastard going back 40 plus years

I suspect that you are right. As soon as the word was out that he was coming here; that's when the fun started with Davis. We ( who ever that is) should have just shut up about Ryan till AFTER he was let go by the Raiders. Just our luck. :(

Sorry but I just have a hard time beliveing that the only reason for Davis keeping Ryan was to spite us. Ryan is a good DC, it was a smart move for them to keep hold of him.

I think Lane Kiffin is coming off like a moron here...he had to know what he was getting himself into and still took the job. The bottom line is I do not care who the DC is, unless the Jets upgrade the talent base on the D Line and LB corps the problems will remain.

I think Lane Kiffin is coming off like a moron here...he had to know what he was getting himself into and still took the job. The bottom line is I do not care who the DC is, unless the Jets upgrade the talent base on the D Line and LB corps the problems will remain.

I agree. The Jets defensive front 7 with the exception of David Harris is not suited for the 3-4. We need a real NT, a real 3-4 DE, and at least one pass rushing OLB or otherwise our defense is going to completely suck goats next season once again.

And besides, this is Mangini's defense, it doesn't matter who the DC is. All this crap about blaming Bob Sutton for this season's debacle is laughable when Mangini was calling all the shots.

Archived