NHL owners and players have an agreement - hockey lives

faba

Updated: July 13, 2005, 11:31 AM ET

NHL close to deal after all-night bargaining sessionESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- An all-night bargaining session stretched well into Wednesday morning as negotiators from the NHL and the players' association tried to put the finishing touches on a new collective bargaining agreeement.

Canadian sports network TSN is reporting that a deal will be completed today. ESPN The Magazine's E.J. Hradek says sources with access to the negotiations have indicated the league and players could reach agreement on a new CBA today. A prominent player agent told Hradek that a deal will be announced today, and that the draft lottery will be held on July 21, with the entry draft being held in Ottawa on July 30.

Discussions resumed Tuesday at noon and were still ongoing at 10 a.m. EDT Wednesday -- the 301st day of the lockout that forced the cancellation of the 2004-05 season.

"We met all night," NHL chief legal officer Bill Daly said in an e-mail. "Nothing yet but getting closer."

After meeting every day last week, the sides got together Sunday for a 14-hour session that lasted until early Monday morning. Just six hours later, they were back at the table.

Those talks broke up Monday night and set the stage for the latest marathon session that got under way Tuesday -- the ninth straight days of talks.

The sides have met for 10 consecutive weeks in an effort to get an agreement as quickly as possible so next season can begin on time.

The NHL hoped to have a new deal to present to its executive committee during a meeting Monday, but commissioner Gary Bettman and Daly could only provide an update on negotiations instead.

Once a deal has been worked out, the NHL board of governors will need to approve it, along with the rank and file of the players' association. Until then, the lockout that was imposed by Bettman last Sept. 16 goes on.

The new agreement is expected to contain a salary cap with a ceiling in the upper $30 millions and a minimum in the low-to-mid $20 millions.

Player salaries will not exceed 54 percent of league-wide revenues.

Some players in recent days have voiced their displeasure over what will be included in the new deal.

Bettman warned in February when he canceled the season that the offers the union passed up were better than any it would see once a year of hockey was lost.

Just days before the NHL became the first North American sports league to wipe out a full season, the players' association said for the first time it would accept a salary cap if the NHL dropped its desire to link player costs to revenues.

Another false alarm or not is my question.

I just looked on Maquest. I'm closer to Flyers games than I am to Rangers games. Is it too late to get season tix to the Flyers?

Probably not... for either.

I'm ready for the game but not exactly ready to forgive both sides for this abortion.

now if you'll excuse me, I need to figure out how and where I'm going to celebrate the 2005-2006 Red Wings Stanley Cup Championship at.

Yes sir! Anywhere where there are top flight hunnies! woo!

I just looked on Maquest. I'm closer to Flyers games than I am to Rangers games. Is it too late to get season tix to the Flyers?

Probably not... for either.

I'm ready for the game but not exactly ready to forgive both sides for this abortion.

now if you'll excuse me, I need to figure out how and where I'm going to celebrate the 2005-2006 Red Wings Stanley Cup Championship at.

Yes sir! Anywhere where there are top flight hunnies! woo!

Hey dumb a$$. You're in Rochester right? You're only 326 miles away from a Red Wings game. When you coming to town?

don't give him that suggestion. Do you really want Mr Modine in town? that means someone would have to actually hang out with him. And, do you think he'd be able to afford a Wings game? Ain't he still in college? :lol:

Hey dumb a$$. You're in Rochester right? You're only 326 miles away from a Red Wings game. When you coming to town?

don't give him that suggestion. Do you really want Mr Modine in town? that means someone would have to actually hang out with him. And, do you think he'd be able to afford a Wings game? Ain't he still in college? :lol:

Screaming front page headlines here.

Everybody I've spoken to, very happy at the idea of hockey this year. People very willing to forgive/forget.

The bad thing for me is that Football and Baseball are now 2nd and 3rd rate in this city.

:cry:

d

Everybody I've spoken to, very happy at the idea of hockey this year. People very willing to forgive/forget.

The bad thing for me is that Football and Baseball are now 2nd and 3rd rate in this city.

d

d

You don't live in Canada, do you? :lol:

d

You don't live in Canada, do you? :lol:

Archived