No Andrews

fatcatxl

This is about right. The way to build is going to mostly be through the draft.

We only have so many picks this year, and we need starters (not projects) at guard and right tackle. Not even including CB where we have a guy coming off of a knee injury who's sole attribute is speed, and a linebacking corps that has thomas and hobson listed at starter.

We need to sign at least two starters in FA, IMO.

We only have so many picks this year, and we need starters (not projects) at guard and right tackle. Not even including CB where we have a guy coming off of a knee injury who's sole attribute is speed, and a linebacking corps that has thomas and hobson listed at starter.

We need to sign at least two starters in FA, IMO.

I agree, but lets hope most of out OL problem was coaching.

I agree, but lets hope most of out OL problem was coaching.
Part of the OL problems was coaching, but most of it was we had 2 starters that don't even belong in the NFL, and one is a JAG.

Yes the way to build is thru the draft, but as pointed out above we need at least two more starters NOW.

I agree, the Jets must sign at least two starters in FA. One of them must be a very good OL.

I was relly hoping it would be Andrews because he can play two positions at a very high level which would have given the Jets some options in the draft.

Not the end of the world, but I was really hoping the Jets could sign him.

Next on my wishlist is Max Starks. The guy is a wall, and would be a solid pick up. Then we draft Cherilous. Starks and Cherilous would right there be a good OL offseaosn plus we'll probably end up drafting another OL in the 3rd-4th round.

While I agree that we need two starting offensive lineman, Cherilous is your prototypical RT and so is Starks. I don't think either posess the ability to play as an interior lineman, however i could be wrong. But, by signing starks to a big deal in FA and drafting Gosder, we'd have two starting RTs and still no LG.

I would look for a RT in free agency and i'm leaning towards Branden Albert as a LG, if you have a chance to see tape of him it's amazing, the guy gets to the second level as quick as any olineman i've seen. However, he would most likely cost our high second at the rate he's rising and i don't know how people feel about using a high 2nd on a LG.

While I agree that we need two starting offensive lineman, Cherilous is your prototypical RT and so is Starks. I don't think either posess the ability to play as an interior lineman, however i could be wrong. But, by signing starks to a big deal in FA and drafting Gosder, we'd have two starting RTs and still no LG.

I would look for a RT in free agency and i'm leaning towards Branden Albert as a LG, if you have a chance to see tape of him it's amazing, the guy gets to the second level as quick as any olineman i've seen. However, he would most likely cost our high second at the rate he's rising and i don't know how people feel about using a high 2nd on a LG.

i was reading about albert yesterday as well. The dude is a flat out stud. I'm not sure who came up with the 'don't draft guards earlier than tackles' philosophy, i'm sure it does hold weight in a numbers game (amount of quality guards in the 3rd vs 1st, or 2nd), but if albert is there and we somehow trade the dead weight from this team, taking him in the early second or even late first would be fine with me as long as he is as good as he looks on film.

If any of you haven't seen him, go to NFL.com, mayock's 5 offensive tackles or something similar to that. Albert just mauls everybody that comes near him, even in space you see him ruining some safeties life. He's a friggen stud.

i was reading about albert yesterday as well. The dude is a flat out stud. I'm not sure who came up with the 'don't draft guards earlier than tackles' philosophy, i'm sure it does hold weight in a numbers game (amount of quality guards in the 3rd vs 1st, or 2nd), but if albert is there and we somehow trade the dead weight from this team, taking him in the early second or even late first would be fine with me as long as he is as good as he looks on film.

If any of you haven't seen him, go to NFL.com, mayock's 5 offensive tackles or something similar to that. Albert just mauls everybody that comes near him, even in space you see him ruining some safeties life. He's a friggen stud.

Yup, I hope we either go after Albert in the draft (although it would definetly require a trade down or else we should sign Faneca.

I have to second that. If you havn't watched any UVA games, than go check mayocks clips of him. Obviously the highlights of a player are going to be the best, but it's the things he shows in the highlights that are amazing. At 6'7 315ish he is extremely athletic and far and away the best guard in the draft; i've heard rumors that the steelers might be targeting him with their 1st rounder to fill the void that faneca will leave, but if he is there with our top second I think he deserves a very long hard look.

The more I see of this guy combined with the gaping whole we have at left guard, he is someone that would fit right in between dbrick and mangold. Just go to http://www.nfl.com/videos and type in offensive lineman or mayock and go to mayocks top 5 offensive lineman and halfway through the video around 2:40 or so he goes off about how he loves branden albert. If you watch the video you'll all see why.

Am I the only one who thinks Rex Hadnot would be a very good acquisition for the offensive line? He's big and a good drive blocker (He played RG last year for the Dolphins). At the least, it would drive his price up for the Dolphins.

#66 Rex Hadnot | 5699.jpgFull Name: Jonathan Rex Jr. Hadnot

Born: January 28, 1982 Lufkin, TX

Height: 6-2

Weight: 325 lbs.

Pos: C

Experience: 4 years

College: Houston

Drafted: Year:2004 Round:6 Pick:9, Dolphins

I'd like to see the Jets show some interest and take a serious look at Max Starks, but I'm also hoping the Jets take a look at Jake Long and are not scared by the fans rejecting the selection (if they thought he'd be the best selection for the organization). D'Brickashaw Ferguson, as of it, isn't Orlando Pace or Jonathan Ogden, but you know what, he's solid and he's no Robert Gallery.

Just my two cents. :beer:

I'd like to see the Jets show some interest and take a serious look at Max Starks, but I'm also hoping the Jets take a look at Jake Long and are not scared by the fans rejecting the selection (if they thought he'd be the best selection for the organization). D'Brickashaw Ferguson, as of it, isn't Orlando Pace or Jonathan Ogden, but you know what, he's solid and he's no Robert Gallery.

Just my two cents. :beer:

people are too hard on brick. I can't think of any other position except the number 1 CB and the Quaterback that is forced to go against an elite player nearly every game. In almost every other position on the football field you can stay away from anther teams best player...i.e. QB can throw to the left side of the field to stay away from Champ Bailey, CB's can get coverage rolled to their side.

What can you do to help against Jason Taylor, Aaron Schobel or Richard Seymore? The man is on an island against 3 all pros 6 out of 16 games. You can role protection, but who was our LG again?

Brick is a good player, they can't all be super stars.

Jets can sign LJ Shelton for nothing for 1 or 2 years. Not saying Shelton is anything special but he's better than Brandon Moore and he could probably do a decent job at RG for us for about 2 years at 0 cost.

not a bad thought. I wouldn't have him as the answer for LG, but I'd certainly bring him in as Moore's competition for RG. Would still pick up a LG in FA and draft a RT or the other way around.

If this Albert kid is really all that I wouldn't have any reservations taking him in early round 2. None at all; OG's are now mega-expensive in FA.

RG - Shelton (if he's cheap) to compete with (read: beat out) Moore

LG - Albert/similar prospect - round 2 if his stock is that high & it's what is required.

RT - Starks. Nothing great, but after being second-string in '07 he shouldn't cost too much. Might even take a 2-yr deal for less money with the hopes he can get his dollars up. If that's the case, we can also take a later RT pick if value presents itself (assuming Mangini thinks Bender is always going to be useless). If he doesn't do so great, drafting a RT is an easy task for '09. They're not so hard to find & are available every year to every team.

It wouldn't be the worst OL I've ever seen.

Still leaves us with all but our 2nd-rounder to address our holes and wouldn't require rookie-playing-next-to-rookie on our OL.

not a bad thought. I wouldn't have him as the answer for LG, but I'd certainly bring him in as Moore's competition for RG. Would still pick up a LG in FA and draft a RT or the other way around.

If this Albert kid is really all that I wouldn't have any reservations taking him in early round 2. None at all; OG's are now mega-expensive in FA.

RG - Shelton (if he's cheap) to compete with (read: beat out) Moore

LG - Albert/similar prospect - round 2 if his stock is that high & it's what is required.

RT - Starks. Nothing great, but after being second-string in '07 he shouldn't cost too much. Might even take a 2-yr deal for less money with the hopes he can get his dollars up. If that's the case, we can also take a later RT pick if value presents itself (assuming Mangini thinks Bender is always going to be useless). If he doesn't do so great, drafting a RT is an easy task for '09. They're not so hard to find & are available every year to every team.

It wouldn't be the worst OL I've ever seen.

Still leaves us with all but our 2nd-rounder to address our holes and wouldn't require rookie-playing-next-to-rookie on our OL.

I have a feeling that Brandon Albert is going to go before us, because like you said Guards are getting extremely pricey and the steelers and a few other teams are in need of a guard as well. I think the best bet is if someone like Otah or Chris williams falls to the steelers they'll be stupid to pass those two up. I think a high second for a guard of Albert's quality is a good investment in this era, when guards are commanding 7 mill a year.

I think max starks is the best bet now that andrews is off the market, but i have a feeling he is going to command one of the bigger contracts from Olineman this offseason. He's got the size 6'7 340, age 25, athleticism and is a great run blocker. He needs some work in passpro, but at only 25 he has shown plenty of promise.

If we could get starks in free agency and albert in the top of the second, than your absolutely right we have our other 6? picks to fill our needs. This is all best case scenario of course, so we shall see what happens.

I'm a Bengals fan, and hardly enthused about this. He's a one dimensional player who excells at pass blocking, but couldn't run block to save his life.

I was wondering what all the excitement over him was about. When Andrews stepped in as full-time starter this year, their running game disappeared (except against the Jets) with or without Rudi. His size makes him look like perhaps a better pickup than he actually would be. Steinbach, it seems, was a bigger loss than many anticipated.

I'm a Bengals fan, and hardly enthused about this. He's a one dimensional player who excells at pass blocking, but couldn't run block to save his life.

My Bengal lovin' friend said the same thing.

I never understood many Jets' fans utter infatuation with Stacy Andrews. Maybe some of you confused him with his brother.

I think many people were infatuated with Andrews because he could play either LG or RT and those are our two weak spots. Signing him would have given us flexibility going into the draft. I also think Albert will be gone. One OG usually goes in the first and he's apparently by far the #1. Even if he lasts the first, the Rams among others, are looking for interior line help and would probably jump on him before us anyway.

people are too hard on brick. I can't think of any other position except the number 1 CB and the Quaterback that is forced to go against an elite player nearly every game. In almost every other position on the football field you can stay away from anther teams best player...i.e. QB can throw to the left side of the field to stay away from Champ Bailey, CB's can get coverage rolled to their side.

What can you do to help against Jason Taylor, Aaron Schobel or Richard Seymore? The man is on an island against 3 all pros 6 out of 16 games. You can role protection, but who was our LG again?

Brick is a good player, they can't all be super stars.

I

I think many people were infatuated with Andrews because he could play either LG or RT and those are our two weak spots. Signing him would have given us flexibility going into the draft. I also think Albert will be gone. One OG usually goes in the first and he's apparently by far the #1. Even if he lasts the first, the Rams among others, are looking for interior line help and would probably jump on him before us anyway.

Exactly. His versatility would have been extremely useful The fact that he

Archived