NFL close to agreement to talk to Walsh

faba

Goodell 'anxious to speak' to Walsh, hoping sides are nearing deal

Associated Press

Updated: February 20, 2008, 5:03 PM ET

INDIANAPOLIS -- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell hopes the NFL is close to an agreement that will allow former New England Patriots employee Matt Walsh to tell the league about the tapes he is said to have made of the St. Louis Rams' walk-through before the 2002 Super Bowl.

"The lawyers are still talking and we're anxious to speak to him. We're anxious to get an agreement to get him to come forth," Goodell told the Associated Press on Wednesday before the start of the NFL combine.

"We hope to be able to talk to him shortly."

Walsh, now a golf pro in Hawaii, did video work for the Patriots when they won the first of their three Super Bowls after the 2001 season. Three weeks ago, the Boston Herald reported that Walsh claimed he had taped the practice before the Patriots' 20-17 upset of the Rams, who were two-touchdown favorites.

NFL lawyers have been meeting with Michael Levy, Walsh's Washington-based lawyer, who is seeking further protection for his client if he tells what he knows.

Levy said last week that the NFL's offer of protection "is highly conditional and still leaves Mr. Walsh vulnerable. I have asked the NFL to provide Mr. Walsh with the necessary legal protections so that he can come forward with the truth without fear of retaliation and litigation."

Goodell has said Walsh was not interviewed as part of the NFL's investigation into "Spygate," which involved the NFL confiscating tapes from a Patriots employee who recorded the New York Jets' defensive signals from the sideline during the opening game of the 2007 season.

As a result of that investigation, Patriots coach Bill Belichick was fined $500,000, and the team was fined $250,000 and had to forfeit its 2008 first-round draft choice.

Six confiscated tapes and other documents pertaining to the Patriots' taping were subsequently destroyed by the league. Goodell has defended the destruction of the tapes.

Last week, Willie Gary, who played seven games for the Rams that season, filed suit in New Orleans accusing the Patriots of fraud, unfair trade practices and engaging in a "pattern of racketeering." Three fans joined in the suit.

On Tuesday, Hugh Campbell, the Cincinnati lawyer who filed Gary's suit, said he wanted to add at least two new classes to the action: all employees and players of all NFL teams who were illegally videotaped by the Patriots, plus all fans who bought tickets to any game that the Patriots illegally taped. He also said he wanted to join efforts with Sen. Arlen Specter, R.-Pa., who also is looking into the allegations.

Goodell and Specter met last week in Washington.

Specter told The Associated Press on Wednesday that if Walsh is under subpoena in a suit, it might solve the problem of protection.

"I think now that the lawsuits have been started, that I got the ball rolling, and the plaintiffs' lawyers are picking it up," Specter said.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is going to get very messy.

I agree.

What I want to know is how Walsh found and can afford to pay a high powered Washington DC attorney.

Levy's bio http://www.mckeenelson.com/attorneys/attorney.cfm?id=748

Mr. Levy heads McKee Nelson's White Collar/Investigations and Enforcement group. His practice focuses on white collar defense, investigations, and representation of corporations and individuals in connection with government enforcement initiatives. Mr. Levy has conducted internal investigations for Fortune 100 and other companies and their Audit Committees and has represented numerous Fortune 500 companies, high-ranking public officials, civic leaders, and prominent corporate executives throughout the country in major criminal cases and congressional, SEC, and other governmental investigations involving alleged violations of fraud, securities, tax, antitrust, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, environmental, obstruction of justice, bribery, wiretapping, and other criminal statutes.

If, and this is a big if, Walsh has the goods. and forces Lil Bill to resign, there is lots of money to be made in this.

Which a Lawyer will make more then his fair share.

If this guy has a tape, boy the fur is going to fly.

I first thought this was going to blow over, but after the press conference last week they sounded like a duo than was digging in for a siege, and laying down the foundations for their defense.

"He did it on his own. We know nooothing". No ones going to bye it.

If, and this is a big if, Walsh has the goods. and forces Lil Bill to resign, there is lots of money to be made in this.

Which a Lawyer will make more then his fair share.

If this guy has a tape, boy the fur is going to fly.

I first thought this was going to blow over, but after the press conference last week they sounded like a duo than was digging in for a siege, and laying down the foundations for their defense.

"He did it on his own. We know nooothing". No ones going to bye it.

Why didn't Walsh come out with his allegations in September? Why is he looking for a deal that covers his arse in every possible way?

All I want to know is what he has. If it's tapes, show me what's on them. If it isn't tapes then what is it?

Pioli said that Walsh was fired for taping conversations. The Pats must have employee records that show why people were terminated right?

Why didn't Walsh come out with his allegations in September? Why is he looking for a deal that covers his arse in every possible way?

All I want to know is what he has. If it's tapes, show me what's on them. If it isn't tapes then what is it?

Pioli said that Walsh was fired for taping conversations. The Pats must have employee records that show why people were terminated right?

I was going to put my thoughts in the form of written word. Instead this song came to mind:

cGqroT1FZ5Y

These are Jest fans.....all Pat are guilty damn it! Guilty of everything!

Tapes, Specter, comcast, a day before the sb.....please, like this was not contrived?

I will say this again: BB has never lied. He will say nothing or answer a question with a non-answer. I watch this guys every interview - and he's certainly more relaxed with some of the local shows none of you get to watch - he's never lied. He just hasn't. So, when he, and Pioli, came out and said what they did this week - I beleive them 100% - and it's not just because I'm a Pats fan.

Walsh's counsel is some high-powered guy he would have a better chance of seeing God that having the ability to pay for. The high powered counsel is probably being paid by Comcast - either now or later :) Walsh (and counsel) are asking to be free of any legal action against them in any way, shape or form, in order to sell a book of lies down the line.

You all should have seen his wedding notice (a video) in the providence journal that was just re-published. Full of pure fiction, people. Funny stuff.

Of course this is pure speculation, but here is what I think is happening here.

Walsh is a bit of a loose cannon.

He was told to tape the practice covertly, which he did, but being a bit of an ass himself he made a copy of the tape for future financial considerations, which are still his main concern. Not the sanctity of the NFL.

He then tried to back up his illegally acquired tape with a bit of audio to support it. I guess this is called black mail. He was caught. Severely threatened with law suite.

Now this thing has gotten a life of it's own, he got an attorney, and the ball is in play.

What he is afraid of, is taking the copy of the tape is an illegal in itself, he is afraid of the legal repercussions of having taken it.

Now he wants immunity from any prosecution, or law suites that may come.

If congress gets involved he will get it.

I suspect this guy isn't going to turn out to be a very nice guy, but as the old saying goes "It takes a thief"

He was told to tape the practice covertly, which he did, but being a bit of an ass himself he made a copy of the tape for future financial considerations, which are still his main concern. Not the sanctity of the NFL.

He then tried to back up his illegally acquired tape with a bit of audio to support it. I guess this is called black mail. He was caught. Severely threatened with law suite.

Now this thing has gotten a life of it's own, he got an attorney, and the ball is in play.

What he is afraid of, is taking the copy of the tape is an illegal in itself, he is afraid of the legal repercussions of having taken it.

I suspect this guy isn't going to turn out to be a very nice guy, but as the old saying goes "It takes a thief"

I don't buy it on many levels.

1) Walsh is a known liar - check out his resume sometime, his wedding announcement and the words of former co-workers/employers.

BB is know to bend the rules, not lie; unless it's his wife - and my guess is that he didn't lie then either. I can hear it now:

Ex Mrs. BB: are you cheating on me?

BB: how can you ask me that? I'm a busy man. This is just upsetting me. (bb storms off).

Typical guy deflection technique - the un-lie. LOL!

2) Walsh was fired immediately - no two week notice crap. Gone. Clean your stuff out. Must have done something pretty bad, eh? Wonder what?

3) let's see - post 9/11 security at the SB. So BB is going to have a low-level - who the heck is this guy - tape a walk-thru in the most secure place on the planet? Eh?

I think you pretty much summed it up.

I don't buy it on many levels.

1) Walsh is a known liar - check out his resume sometime, his wedding announcement and the words of former co-workers/employers.

BB is know to bend the rules, not lie; unless it's his wife - and my guess is that he didn't lie then either. I can hear it now:

Ex Mrs. BB: are you cheating on me?

BB: how can you ask me that? I'm a busy man. This is just upsetting me. (bb storms off).

Typical guy deflection technique - the un-lie. LOL!

2) Walsh was fired immediately - no two week notice crap. Gone. Clean your stuff out. Must have done something pretty bad, eh? Wonder what?

3) let's see - post 9/11 security at the SB. So BB is going to have a low-level - who the heck is this guy - tape a walk-thru in the most secure place on the planet? Eh?

I don't see where any of your points unseat my admittedly speculative scenario.

1) I said this guy is not a choir boy, and was up to no good from the beginning. But if he has a tape it doesn't matter.

Sammy the Bull wasn't a very nice guy either.

2) If you get caught taping conversations with your boss, who is talking about illegal things he has done, you are going to be fired immediately.

3) More then likely they weren't doing their practice in the site of the Super Bowl in front of all the media. it was more then likely at a nearby college campus, with very little security

As I said above this is not a guy you want to hold your wallet. If he has tapes, and both he, and the defensive mannor of the last pats news conference, indicate he does, it doesn't matter

I don't see where any of your points unseat my admittedly speculative scenario.

1) I said this guy is not a choir boy, and was up to no good from the beginning. But if he has a tape it doesn't matter.

Sammy the Bull wasn't a very nice guy either.

2) If you get caught taping conversations with your boss, who is talking about illegal things he has done, you are going to be fired immediately.

3) More then likely they weren't doing their practice in the site of the Super Bowl in front of all the media. it was more then likely at a nearby college campus, with very little security

As I said above this is not a guy you want to hold your wallet. If he has tapes, and both he, and the defensive mannor of the last pats news conference, indicate he does, it doesn't matter

1) Talk about sepculation! What makes you spectulate that Walsh was taping a conversation about something illegal Pioli may have done? Huh? Where did that come from?

2) It's custom that SB participants do their walk-thru after team pictures/or vice versa - AT THE SITE OF THE SB - which is exactly where they were done for this SB.

3) The Patriots "LAST" conference was their very first. As stated, the Patriots NEVER say anything publically. Saying, instead. "it's an "NFL matter"....."A legal matter"....."an Internal Matter" etc. NEVER do they make a statement - especially a black and white statement. Ever.

1) Talk about sepculation! What makes you spectulate that Walsh was taping a conversation about something illegal Pioli may have done? Huh? Where did that come from?

2) It's custom that SB participants do their walk-thru after team pictures/or vice versa - AT THE SITE OF THE SB - which is exactly where they were done for this SB.

3) The Patriots "LAST" conference was their very first. As stated, the Patriots NEVER say anything publically. Saying, instead. "it's an "NFL matter"....."A legal matter"....."an Internal Matter" etc. NEVER do they make a statement - especially a black and white statement. Ever.

1) Of course this is speculative. This is the third time I have acknowledged that. At this point in time nothing has been revealed as FACT. This is a message board, and what we do is speculate.

With the small bit of information we have available we are both trying to draw conclusions.

Either Walsh has something, most likely a tape, or both he and his attorney are truly nuts. Why would Walsh be taping a conversation of what Pioli wanted for lunch? Or who he should pick up at the airport? Which is what Pioli is trying to say his primary job was.

Walsh had an ulterior motive for making these tapes. It is reasonable to conclude that motive was extortion. In order to extort anything from the Pats, it would have to be something very embarrassing to them.

2) I honestly don't know what tradition is, but it seems to me it would be very stupid to do walk-thrus, which install the game plan in a place that everyone can see them.

If it were in the stadium, any 911 security wouldn't be alerted as Walsh would have had the proper ID

3) I think your point in fact agrees with my theory.

The Pats are WAY out of character here. Before that interview I assumed this was going to just be a He said-She said situation, with no foundation, make some amusing headlines, and go away.

The Pats made an obvious attempt to show that Walsh was capable of taping things on his own, and was a non productive low life.

I would have expected them to just laugh publicly about it and say "We have nothing to hide, bring on the investigation" That isn't what they did. They set up their defense as "This guy did this on his own"

That interview made me go oh-oh, they know something very bad is coming.

As I pointed out before I don't know anything that nobody else knows, but as a reasonably intelligent person, I am drawing conclusions from very out of character behavior from the Pats themselves.

As I stated before, either this guy has something very damming, or both he and his attorney belong in straight jackets.

The pats legal force is going to do everything they can to skin this guy alive.

If he has nothing, he will deeply regret this thing.

It seems to me he has something big he thinks he can make a lot of money with.

These are Jest fans.....all Pat are guilty damn it! Guilty of everything!

Tapes, Specter, comcast, a day before the sb.....please, like this was not contrived?

I will say this again: BB has never lied. He will say nothing or answer a question with a non-answer. I watch this guys every interview - and he's certainly more relaxed with some of the local shows none of you get to watch - he's never lied. He just hasn't. So, when he, and Pioli, came out and said what they did this week - I beleive them 100% - and it's not just because I'm a Pats fan.

Walsh's counsel is some high-powered guy he would have a better chance of seeing God that having the ability to pay for. The high powered counsel is probably being paid by Comcast - either now or later :) Walsh (and counsel) are asking to be free of any legal action against them in any way, shape or form, in order to sell a book of lies down the line.

You all should have seen his wedding notice (a video) in the providence journal that was just re-published. Full of pure fiction, people. Funny stuff.

well he must have lied when he took his marriage vows right?

beatdeadhorseeu0.gif

If the tape exist then the jig is up.

Nobody will give a flying ***** if he lied on his resume.

Nobody will give two hoots about where he is getting the money to pay for his lawyer.

Every thinking person on the planet is going to assume that the Patriots "video guy" made the tape at the behest of the club. Just like he made dozens of tapes before that Superbowl and dozens of them after the SUperbowl. FOR the Patriots. They are going to assume this because what else was the video guy doing in town on the Pats dime for Superbowl week? What else was the guy doing walking around town with club issued credentials?

This.... ****....just....never....gets...old

P.S. This is not about Belichick at this point. I think the NFL needs to take a careful look at who benefitted most from the cheating, and who cut the checks for the black-ops department and their six video tapes.

Robert Kraft.

If the tape exist then the jig is up.

I dont think so. At all.

They have to prove that Belichick instructed Walsh to tape the Rams walkthrough or that BB authourized Walsh's boss to do it. How hard would it be for Walsh to lag behind at the Superdome and tape the Rams completely on his own? Not very difficult in the least.

Thus far, 3 people are known to have witnessed Walsh taping phone conversations. Goodell has interviewed past and precsent NEP employees and their stories about the Rams tape are all very alike.

I dont think so. At all.

They have to prove that Belichick instructed Walsh to tape the Rams walkthrough or that BB authourized Walsh's boss to do it. How hard would it be for Walsh to lag behind at the Superdome and tape the Rams completely on his own? Not very difficult in the least.

Thus far, 3 people are known to have witnessed Walsh taping phone conversations. Goodell has interviewed past and precsent NEP employees and their stories about the Rams tape are all very alike.

If he was on Pats payroll it doesn't matter who did or didn't authorize it.

If there is a walkthru tape, Mumbles is toast and all Kraft's SB' trophies will be worthless.

I dont think so. At all.

Nobody outside of a few deluded Patriots fans is going to believe the the Patriots "video guy" was not instructed to make that tape. T\He made dozens of tapes on the Patrioots dime before that week and he made dozens of tapes on the Patriots dime after that week.

He was in New Orleans that week on the Patriots dime and with credentials provided by the Patriots. He was their VIDEO GUY for chist sakes!!!

Seriously good luck trying to sell the idea that he was some kind of loose canon. I think you might be one of about five people on the planet including other New England fans who buy that.

I dont think so. At all.

Are you slow or something? It was smart of him to try and get some real evidence of conversations to back up his recollections. Particularly if, as expected, the Patriots were likely to shift into full bore smear mode. Taping phone conversations might have been a smart move on his part.

The real question is, does he have anyone on tape saying something that they might otherwise deny if no tapes existed?

I all seriousness I have a question for you. What is it about the clandestine taping of people in the Patriots organization that is so offensive to you yet at the same time the clandestine taping of other NFL teams is not?

Archived