Jets to pursue Faneca - TFYDraft.com

Update 9:55 EST

After being jilted when the Bengals made a surprise move giving offensive lineman Stacey Andrews the franchise tag, the New York Jets have turned their attention towards another offensive lineman.

The team is now targeting Pittsburgh Steeler guard Alan Faneca and are expected to make a big push for the former All Pro. The Jets feel bring Faneca in will not only be an upgrade over Adriene Clarke, who was a disaster last year, but will also offer stability between their two young former first round picks, D'brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold.

http://www.tfydraft.com/news.php?newsID=63

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Update 9:55 EST

After being jilted when the Bengals made a surprise move giving offensive lineman Stacey Andrews the franchise tag, the New York Jets have turned their attention towards another offensive lineman.

The team is now targeting Pittsburgh Steeler guard Alan Faneca and are expected to make a big push for the former All Pro. The Jets feel bring Faneca in will not only be an upgrade over Adriene Clarke, who was a disaster last year, but will also offer stability between their two young former first round picks, D'brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold.

http://www.tfydraft.com/news.php?newsID=63

This will also teach the rest of the team not to negotiate through the media.

I didn't like this move before the market got so limited. He is still a good to great player.

If This happens all we need to do is get us a good RT. Like Cherilus in rnd 2.

To compete again? I agree. Fixing this Offensive Line would add a couple of wins onto our 2007 win total easily. Still need to find a third receiver and some players for the front seven on defense though.

Letting go of Robertson and picking up Rubin from Iowa in Round 3 would be a steal. Team him with Pouha and we have a legit Nose Tackle rotation.

Lets not forget we have a good future player in Bender. I really believe in this kid,hes just so athletic. He could be a good guard soon. 6-6 315.;)

More of a Right Tackle prospect. He was horrible while playing Guard in the Preseason. Thank christ the coaching staff did not throw him in there during the Regular Season. He and Clement could battle for the RT job this Training Camp if the Jets cannot find their guy via the draft. There arn't many Tackle's left in Free Agency.

More of a Right Tackle prospect. He was horrible while playing Guard in the Preseason. Thank christ the coaching staff did not throw him in there during the Regular Season. He and Clement could battle for the RT job this Training Camp if the Jets cannot find their guy via the draft. There arn't many Tackle's left in Free Agency.

Theres no way he woulda been more horrible than the worthless Clarke was in the SEASON.

What happened to Faneca going to Arizona. I thought that was going to be a no brainer.

If that is not the case then the Jets should go all out and get him. Then go get me a pass rusher in FA as well.

Arizona is in the worst cap shape in the league right now. They are about 2M over.

I don't know what to make out of Bender. In preseason last year he looked great on running plays, and looked like a clown on passing downs,

I remember for the first NE game opening day there was a lot of talk about him starting, then he disappeared for the rest of the season.

As badly as Clake played last year, I really thought he was the worst OG in the NFL, maybe the worst I have ever seen play for the Jets, Bender still didn't get any playing time. They started Montie over him. he wasn't very impressive.

I hope your right, but they must draft an OT with the second pick. This may be one of the deepest OT drafts I can recall

Damnit I really liked Andrews a whole lot. Faneca I'm very worried about. He's the type of signing that could turn into an absolute disaster, a signing that can keep a terrible team terrible for years. The Steelers weren't exactly setting the league on fire last year. I suppose no matter how bad Faneca is now he can't be as bad as Clarke...but...Faneca is like 270 or something, and Brick is like 290. That is pretty much the smallest left side you can find, even smaller than the Broncos who make up for it by just chop blocking.

I don't know what to make out of Bender. In preseason last year he looked great on running plays, and looked like a clown on passing downs,

I remember for the first NE game opening day there was a lot of talk about him starting, then he disappeared for the rest of the season.

As badly as Clake played last year, I really thought he was the worst OG in the NFL, maybe the worst I have ever seen play for the Jets, Bender still didn't get any playing time. They started Montie over him. he wasn't very impressive.

I hope your right, but they must draft an OT with the second pick. This may be one of the deepest OT drafts I can recall

Clarke WAS the worst guard I have ever seen play the game of football. Leave it up to our jets to start a clown like that when we have rookies and 3rd stringers that have more talent. Just a fat slow waste of space was Clarke. Oh yeah and he single handedly about got Kellen killed in that first play against the pats in their 2nd meeting. Where we all know we woulda had a better chance with Kellen in there to give us a better look against NE.

I also would have much preferred Andrews, and I believe the Jets did also, but he'sgone and they must move on. Franeca is small, and going to be VERY expensive, but they have to do something. Clement is also a night mare IMO and they must use a first day pick on a RT. There aren't many OG in the draft, lots on OT's but not many OG's. I guess they could take a OT on the second day, and try to convert him to guard, but that is really rolling the dice.

Of course with Villma, Coles, and perhaps Pennington being traded, they might have some room to gamble a pick

I also would have much preferred Andrews, and I believe the Jets did also, but he'sgone and they must move on. Franeca is small, and going to be VERY expensive, but they have to do something. Clement is also a night mare IMO and they must use a first day pick on a RT. There aren't many OG in the draft, lots on OT's but not many OG's. I guess they could take a OT on the second day, and try to convert him to guard, but that is really rolling the dice.

Of course with Villma, Coles, and perhaps Pennington being traded, they might have some room to gamble a pick

Faneca is small?

He's not as big as Andrews (few are) - but he's not "small" at about 310 lbs.

I'm more concerned with him coming off a down-season at age 31. If last year was an anomaly, this would be an insanely great pickup for us.

I'll tell you guys-I actually WATCHED our OL this past season when it was clear that they were the main cause of our 4-12 season and Will Montgomery did some good stuff-moved around real well and didn't get the QB killed-like Clarke almost did to Clemens against NE. I think he will be a guy we should keep for depth-I'm wondering if Morre's poor play was as a result of Anthony Clement having such a horrible year. also, Tony Wise-he's gone right?

Parcells Told Jets To Sign Faneca

Friday, February 22nd 2008, 1:17 pm by Gary Grund

In the Miami Herald, Armando Salguero reports that last year, current Dolphins Executive Vice President of Football Operations Bill Parcells discussed with the Jets front office about signing Alan Faneca in the offseason, prior to taking the job with Miami.

So you heard it here first: The Dolphins will very likely chase Pittsburgh guard Alan Faneca. Faneca is a Pro Bowl player and a winner. He is also the guy Bill Parcells told the New York Jets they should sign when he talked to that team

Damnit I really liked Andrews a whole lot. Faneca I'm very worried about. He's the type of signing that could turn into an absolute disaster, a signing that can keep a terrible team terrible for years. The Steelers weren't exactly setting the league on fire last year. I suppose no matter how bad Faneca is now he can't be as bad as Clarke...but...Faneca is like 270 or something, and Brick is like 290. That is pretty much the smallest left side you can find, even smaller than the Broncos who make up for it by just chop blocking.

What I didn't like about Andrews is he is a career backup. Started only 5 games in college, not a full time starter! So why was he franchised? Why dump that kind of money into 3 tackles? I undrstand he has potential, but in a way I'm glad we didn't get him!

What I didn't like about Andrews is he is a career backup. Started only 5 games in college, not a full time starter! So why was he franchised? Why dump that kind of money into 3 tackles? I undrstand he has potential, but in a way I'm glad we didn't get him!

I thought that as well. Best thing about him was his size on paper. Bengals OLine took a major step backward with him replacing Steinbach (who's solid but hardly incredible himself).

He only played 5 games in college because he started playing football his senior year in college; so a first year player starts 5 years after never playing organized football, pretty impressve huh??

He was also not a full time starter in Cinci becuase he played behind allpro right tackle willie anderson, but started 13 games at LG and RT when anderson went down with an injury. He played extremely well and is super athletic for his size, that is exactly why he is given that much money. He is a mauling run blocker and has developed very well in pass pro and has about 4 years of experience in organized football (this includes all levels of football).

I am extremely upset we didn't get him and he'll show why in the upcoming years.

Faneca is small?

He's not as big as Andrews (few are) - but he's not "small" at about 310 lbs.

I'm more concerned with him coming off a down-season at age 31. If last year was an anomaly, this would be an insanely great pickup for us.

That's what he was listed at, but I'd be stunned if he broke 275 at times last season. I'd feel pretty comfortable with him at 300 even. Someone needs to force Faneca and Brick to eat and then maybe we'd have something.

Archived