New Mock Off season plan

MSGold12

Trade

Vilma to Detroit for Rogers. I dont love this idea but if they are hell bent on getting rid of Vilma then I want a player back...not a 3rd round pick. Rogers has the upside to be a major upgrade for our DL.

Sign

1. Faneca- At this point I think we have to. He is not young but hes still a near great player who will add some "nasty" and leadership to our OL.

2. Flozell Adams- Spend the cash Tanny! Lure him away! He can start at RT for now and move inside to OG soon. He can also provide a saftey net at LT if Brick doesnt step up.

3. Randall Gay- Forget Samuel and his 100 mil, this guy can play and is a better man to man cover guy then Samuel anyway. Plus, he takes anohter player away from an already questinable NE secondary.

4. Bryant Johnson- Not the ideal guy to get but he's a precursor to the inevitbale trading of Coles after this year when he doesnt get the new deal he wants.

5. Lo Neal- I know hes old but if he has anything left hes exactly what we need and would be added protecrtion on blitz pickup.

Cut/Restructure

JMac (additon by subtractyion), Barrrett (too expensive), Clarke (buh bye), Barton (resturcture for some more cap relief), Ellis (see Barton)

Draft

1. Vernon Gholston- Is impressing at the combine, is a good value and fills a HUGE need. Yes there is risk here but unless DMC slides to 6 and we can trade out, he makes the most sense.

2. Carl Nicks- OT deep draft so I wait for RD 2 to grab one. Monster RT. Sits behind Flozell for a year and then takes over at RT moving Adams to RG to finish his career.

3. Andre Caldwell- Speed kills, he has it, we need it. Plus, WRs always slide.

4. Jacob Tamme- A field streching TE (just ran under 4.6 at the combine) whit good hands. May not last this long now though but I might even try and move up in rd 3 to get him.

5. Beau Bell- Injury past may slide him to us here where he's less of a risk. Groom him to replace barton.

2008 Roster

QB- Clem, Chad,

RB- TJ, Leon, Banks

FB- Neal, Tutt

WR- Cothc, Coles, Johnson, Caldwell, Smith

TE- Baker, Tamme, Pcosiak, Dearth

C- Mangold, MOntogmery

G- Faneca, Moore, Bender, Turner

T- Brick, Adams, Nicks, Clement

DE- Ellis, Coleman, Mosely, DRob, Brown

NT- Rogers, Pouha

OLB- Gholston, BT, Bowens, Chatam

ILB- Harris, Barton, Kassell, Bell

CB- Revis, Dyson, Gay, Miller, POteat

S- Rhodes, Elam, Smith, Hawkins.

Remember also that after 2008, most likely Chad, Coles, barton, and maybe either DRob or Ellis will also likely come off the books so even if we sign all of the above and trade for Rgers, we still should be OK cap wise.

OK...rip away!!!!!

this years draft is deep in a lot of places. Except the d line. I see bust written on a lot of players. Harvey, Ghoulston, Dorsey, to name a few of the top guys. We need to hope we can get Long or trade down. If we could some how trade vilma and our first for a lesser player and atlanta's first that might be high enough for Long.

this years draft is deep in a lot of places. Except the d line. I see bust written on a lot of players. Harvey, Ghoulston, Dorsey, to name a few of the top guys. We need to hope we can get Long or trade down. If we could some how trade vilma and our first for a lesser player and atlanta's first that might be high enough for Long.

Those guys aren't what makes a draft deep. What makes a draft deep is who you can get in round 2 and beyond; the ability to get a good starter without burning first-rounders (let alone top-10 picks).

Personally I'd be happy with that meatball from Maryland who we can get in round 6 or 7 & he can split carries with Jones & Leon.

3. Randall Gay- Forget Samuel and his 100 mil, this guy can play and is a better man to man cover guy then Samuel anyway. Plus, he takes anohter player away from an already questinable NE secondary.

:wtf: Did you happen to watch the Super Bowl? He was beaten like a rented mule on just about every big 3rd. down play.

:wtf: Did you happen to watch the Super Bowl? He was beaten like a rented mule on just about every big 3rd. down play.

So was Ellis Hobbs...and you're counting on him to be your #1 CB as of now. BL, I dont judge a guy based on one game. I am also not looking to gay to be my #1 or even #2 CB. I think we need depth and he has the size and ability to provide it AND he further delpetes your seocndary after you lose samuel, wilson and possibly Harrison retires.

As to whether I watched the SB or not? OH I SURE DID!!!!! It was a pleausre watching the entire NE season go up in flames in one fun filled evening!!!! I a;so recall Plex Burress eing WIDE open on the wiining catch. Who was covering him on that play????

Minor point but you guys realize how many things would have to happen to replace Brick at LT right? I know that wasn't the point of this thread, and it wasn't suggested but there is no way they are signing anyone with the thought of replacing him for performance reasons.

He needs a guard in between him and Mangold. That hole they left there last year was confusing.

Minor point but you guys realize how many things would have to happen to replace Brick at LT right? I know that wasn't the point of this thread, and it wasn't suggested but there is no way they are signing anyone with the thought of replacing him for performance reasons.

He needs a guard in between him and Mangold. That hole they left there last year was confusing.

They're talking about moving him to RT. Doing that with either Brick or Adams would worry me. I'd rather we just could get a true RT and leave Brick be.:confused0082:

I am siging Adams to play RT and then move inside to RG (and replace Moore) when Nicks is ready. My ideal OL is Brick-Faneca-Mangold-Adams-Nicks. Adams CAN be insuracne in the event Brick does NOT improve his game.

They're talking about moving him to RT. Doing that with either Brick or Adams would worry me. I'd rather we just could get a true RT and leave Brick be.:confused0082:

Brick would be a disaster at RT. Not like the Jets running game isn't already in the toilet but moving an undersized finesse blocker to RT would make it even worse.

I thought he was solid last season.

What about all the sacks he gave up? He's gonna face these same guys for years. I just don't see the results improving to the point where the Jets resign him come contract time. I think they thought he could carry more weight but apparently he can't.

What about all the sacks he gave up? He's gonna face these same guys for years. I just don't see the results improving to the point where the Jets resign him come contract time. I think they thought he could carry more weight but apparently he can't.

Let me be clear...I am NOT avocating moving Brick to RT. I am siging Adams to play RT in 2008 and them move him inside to RG when Nicks is readt to play.

Adams, since he has played LT in dallas, is a saftey net in the even the team is not happy wiht Brick's development. They couold nmove Adams to LT until they found a replacement for Brick. Brick woud be a disatser on the right side. If he steps up his game and is the long term answer at LT that we all hoped...terrific. If he continues to be only OK and the teams decides he is not the lng term answer, Adams move to LT rather then RG and Brick is let go.

I am not saying Brick is a bust or that he wont develop into a top flight LT. But to date he has been good...not great, good. And having Adams can give us a little security blanket in the event Brick doesnt get any better then "good". If he does, we have a Brick-Faneca-Mangold-Adams-Nicks OL whhc to me would be a terrific unit.

a Brick-Faneca-Mangold-Adams-Nicks OL whhc to me would be a terrific unit.

Adams-Faneca-Mangold-Moore-Nicks, sadly, would be better. Anyway, the chances of signing one of these guys let alone two of them is virtually zero. Hopefully, Nicks is still there at #36. His good combine performance might have him leapfrogging Otah and Cherilious.

Adams-Faneca-Mangold-Moore-Nicks, sadly, would be better. Anyway, the chances of signing one of these guys let alone two of them is virtually zero. Hopefully, Nicks is still there at #36. His good combine performance might have him leapfrogging Otah and Cherilious.

Why is it zero? We have 30 mil to play with in cap space (after cutting guys liek Barrett and trading Vilma) and OL is our #1 off season priority. I admit that the jets actually spenindg that kind of money may be a pipe dream but I see no reason why wiht a big enough offer, one or both could be wearing green and white.

As to Nicks, I'll take either Otah or Cherilious also. My point is there should be avery good RT for us at 36. And I still have hope for Brick. maybe with a guy like faneca next to him (rather then the stiff Clarke) he'll step up his game.

Where am I taking him? Adams is the only guy I'm moving inside and thats after whomever we draft for RT this year is ready to start.

#35 overall (round 2, pick #4) if he's still there. I give it at least 50/50 that he is. Most teams still go gaga over QB's, OT's, WR's, CB's, DE's, DT's, and LB'ers in round 1. And there's more than 1 of each of those. They can't ALL go in round 1. Some of the top players will have to slip down and guards frequently are the odd men out. Even more likely with so many DE prospects (4-3 DE's) running 4.5 to 4.6 second 40-times and so many others running in the 4.3 range at RB/WR. Plus they're just sexier picks & GM's like the fans to think they're bringing in guys whose stats they can monitor to gauge success (sacks, TD's, yards, INT's, tackles, etc).

Hell, I was told Max Jean-Gilles might not be there for us with the 35th overall pick (round 2, pick 3) in 2006. Philly ended up nabbing him in round 4.

I do not want to pay left tackles big money to play right tackle. for right tackle, I want a STEAMROLLER. get this guy Nicks, start him, and spend the Adams money somewhere else.

I do not want to pay left tackles big money to play right tackle. for right tackle, I want a STEAMROLLER. get this guy Nicks, start him, and spend the Adams money somewhere else.

Fair point. My concern is that we cant really expect a rookkie to step in and start right away and I worry that Clem may never fully develop as a QB unless we get him some serious pass pro pronto. Also, I see Adams as a guy who can easily move inside as he gets older and could eventually replace Moore (who I think sucks).

So was Ellis Hobbs...and you're counting on him to be your #1 CB as of now. BL, I dont judge a guy based on one game. I am also not looking to gay to be my #1 or even #2 CB. I think we need depth and he has the size and ability to provide it AND he further delpetes your seocndary after you lose samuel, wilson and possibly Harrison retires.

As to whether I watched the SB or not? OH I SURE DID!!!!! It was a pleausre watching the entire NE season go up in flames in one fun filled evening!!!! I a;so recall Plex Burress eing WIDE open on the wiining catch. Who was covering him on that play????

I'm well aware of who Burress beat on that TD. And no, we're not counting on Hobbs to be our #1 corner either. I just wanted to make sure you realized how crazy it was to say that Gay is a better man to man corner than Samuel.

#35 overall (round 2, pick #4) if he's still there. I give it at least 50/50 that he is. Most teams still go gaga over QB's, OT's, WR's, CB's, DE's, DT's, and LB'ers in round 1. And there's more than 1 of each of those. They can't ALL go in round 1. Some of the top players will have to slip down and guards frequently are the odd men out. Even more likely with so many DE prospects (4-3 DE's) running 4.5 to 4.6 second 40-times and so many others running in the 4.3 range at RB/WR. Plus they're just sexier picks & GM's like the fans to think they're bringing in guys whose stats they can monitor to gauge success (sacks, TD's, yards, INT's, tackles, etc).

Hell, I was told Max Jean-Gilles might not be there for us with the 35th overall pick (round 2, pick 3) in 2006. Philly ended up nabbing him in round 4.

At 35 I consider that as an alternative but then I draft a RT project also to eventually replace Adams.

But, with Moore signed long term, if we did sign faneca, I can;t see them using a premium pick on a OG in this years draft...maybe next years.

I'm well aware of who Burress beat on that TD. And no, we're not counting on Hobbs to be our #1 corner either. I just wanted to make sure you realized how crazy it was to say that Gay is a better man to man corner than Samuel.

One of the analysts I read recently did a statistical analysis of the two players. What it found was samuel is a stud in the zone and a int machine. However, in the man to man, his yard given up per ctahc was significantly higher then Gays who excelled in man to man coverages.

Samuel is a much better CB then Gay (duh) but for what our needs may be, I am ot spending 100 mil on a CB who is better in a zome then man to man. gay to me is a solid 3rd CB (behind Revis and Dyson who I still like) who is a better fit for our man schemes then Samuel.

I am siging Adams to play RT and then move inside to RG (and replace Moore) when Nicks is ready. My ideal OL is Brick-Faneca-Mangold-Adams-Nicks. Adams CAN be insuracne in the event Brick does NOT improve his game.

MSG

I usually like you stuff....but you are way off here

Adams is seaf in his left ear, he's playing on the left side, or he ain;t playin' at all

MSG

Adams is seaf in his left ear, he's playing on the left side, or he ain;t playin' at all

He's actually deaf in his right ear...not his left. Thus a move to the right side might actually benefit him.

MSG

He's actually deaf in his right ear...not his left. Thus a move to the right side might actually benefit him.

I'm pretty sure MSG is correct. Bit and somebody else stated it was his left ear, but other sources say right ear and he played RT in college, supposedly specifically because of his ear. He played RG as a rookie. They moved him to LT in his second season and he stayed, but plenty of Dallas fans claim he has tons of false start penalties as a result of the deafness.

At 35 I consider that as an alternative but then I draft a RT project also to eventually replace Adams.

But, with Moore signed long term, if we did sign faneca, I can;t see them using a premium pick on a OG in this years draft...maybe next years.

I think drafting a RT prospect to replace Adams would be a fine plan, provided that it wasn't in the same season we gave a ton of money to get Adams in the first place.

Draft guys you think will be starters as rookies with the #35 pick, not someone you're grooming to start in a year or two (since we can only get a maximum 4-year contract out of non-first-round players anyway).

And Moore sucks. Plus his contract pays him backup money ($1M in '08). I'd rather have Albert starting at RG immediately and Moore backing up both OG positions than Moore starting & Nicks sitting on the bench for a year or two.

Plus, replacing Moore is a priority as well. He's due to receive a $5M roster bonus in 2009 - most likely at the official start of the season in early March 2009. I'd rather not pay it & would prefer to already have a starter in place so we're not desperate for yet another position, or so desperate/frightened of being desperate that we actually pay it.

I think drafting a RT prospect to replace Adams would be a fine plan, provided that it wasn't in the same season we gave a ton of money to get Adams in the first place.

Draft guys you think will be starters as rookies with the #35 pick, not someone you're grooming to start in a year or two (since we can only get a maximum 4-year contract out of non-first-round players anyway).

And Moore sucks. Plus his contract pays him backup money ($1M in '08). I'd rather have Albert starting at RG immediately and Moore backing up both OG positions than Moore starting & Nicks sitting on the bench for a year or two.

Plus, replacing Moore is a priority as well. He's due to receive a $5M roster bonus in 2009 - most likely at the official start of the season in early March 2009. I'd rather not pay it & would prefer to already have a starter in place so we're not desperate for yet another position, or so desperate/frightened of being desperate that we actually pay it.

Don;t get me wrong, if NIcks is the pck and he is ready in year 1 to start then thatsd fine by me also. I move Adams to RG (where he has played before in college and the pros) and have a Brick-Faneca-Mangold-Adams-Nicks line whcih to me would be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over last year. I just cant immediately assume that ANY draft pick is going t come right in a start as a rookie. But if they can (a la Fabini in 98) thats a bous and accelerates the ggrand plan.

Archived