Which trade scenario do you favor?

JonEJet

I like the one where:

WE trade Vilma to Carolina for Jenkins, and keep Robertson at DE with a restructured contract.

Sign Faneca

Sign Pace

I like the idea of Jenkins too JonE but think we should try and move DRob if for no other reason than we need that extra 8 milllion in cap space-I also want to see David Bowens start over Bryan Thomas this year at end-he's a high energy play maker who doesn't disappear LIKE BT for weeks and sometimes MONTHS at a time

Here is the latest on Jenkins from today's Charlotte observer.

Jenkins next to leave?

Sources: Panthers trying to trade him

CHARLES CHANDLER

cchandler@charlotteobserver.com

The next player headed out in the Carolina Panthers' revolving-door offseason could be defensive tackle Kris Jenkins.

According to sources, the Panthers are trying to trade him before his $1 million roster bonus is due within the next week.

The trading period starts Friday, the same day the free agency signing period opens, and the Panthers need to move him shortly thereafter or face the bonus payment.

Carolina general manager Marty Hurney declined comment. Jenkins' agent, Tony Paige, could not be reached.

Carolina could save almost $3 million under the salary cap if they trade -- or cut -- Jenkins.

The Panthers tried to trade Jenkins last spring before the NFL draft, but didn't receive an offer they liked and kept him for the 2007 season.

The market could be considerably better now because of the scarcity of quality defensive tackles in free agency. At least two other teams are trying to trade veterans at the position -- Detroit's Shaun Rogers and Dewayne Robertson of the Jets.

The Panthers' already-busy offseason continued Wednesday, when they released quarterback David Carr and welcomed back receiver Muhsin Muhammad.

Carolina previously cut linebacker Dan Morgan, offensive guard Mike Wahle and running back DeShaun Foster.

Carr's release had been expected for weeks. After suffering a back injury last season, he didn't play up to expectations filling in for Jake Delhomme and eventually got benched.

The Panthers saved at least $2 million under the salary cap by releasing Carr, who was the No. 1 pick in the 2002 NFL draft with the Houston Texans.

Muhammad, 34, signed a two-year contract to return to the Panthers, but financial terms were not disclosed. He played for Carolina from 1996 to 2004, twice making the Pro Bowl, before spending three seasons with Chicago.

He bolsters the Panthers' receiving corps, providing experienced help to star Steve Smith and a mentor for second-year pro Dwayne Jarrett.

When Muhammad sat down with reporters late Wednesday afternoon, he smiled and said: "Let the fun begin."

He said it felt good to be back with the Panthers and that he wanted to help bring a championship to the city of Charlotte.

Muhammad will be 35 when the seasons starts, but said he doesn't believe age has slowed him.

"I don't feel any different," he said. "I still feel like I've got a lot of football left in me."

Carolina has had difficulty filling Muhammad's position opposite Smith ever since he left. The closest they came was with Keyshawn Johnson in 2006, but that experiment lasted one season.

The team has high hopes for Jarrett potentially earning a starting job this season. And though Muhammad is on board, it doesn't preclude the team from signing another receiver once free agency opens.

Muhammad sounded ready to fill whatever role the team wants from him.

"I really expect to just do what the team needs me to do," he said. "Whether that's a No. 2 receiver or a No. 3 receiver, we'll see what happens with that."

Muhammad will be back in his familiar jersey No. 87. It was worn last season by tight end Jeff King, but Muhammad said he's talked to King and work out an arrangement.

"Could you see me in any other number?" Muhammad said. "Nah, me neither."

Hurney said Muhammad's return brought an excitement to the organization.

"He brings an attitude. He brings a work ethic," Hurney said. "He was somebody that was extremely highly regarded when he was here. It was a sad day when he left and it's a happy day now that he's back."

I like the one where:

WE trade Vilma to Carolina for Jenkins, and keep Robertson at DE with a restructured contract.

Sign Faneca

Sign Pace

DRob restructuring his deal is really not an option. neither he nor the team will want to do it. For him, a restructure means extending his contract...sonething I am sure he does not want to do. Unless he fears the jets will cut him (unlikely) and he will lose his base salary for the year, he wil want to keep his stay in NY as short as possible so he can hit FA and get to a 4-3 team. For the jets, why would they want to commit MORE guaranteed money (whihc is what a restructure would do) to a player they currently feel doesnt fit their system and is not playing even close to his cap value?

If DRob took a straight PAY CUT, thats one thing (and even more unlikly) but a restruture is really not an option for either side.

is this Pace guy any good Shawn?

I'm just going by the numbers.

1st round pick by the Cardinals in 2003

6.5 sacks last year, 98 tackles. The tackles number bother me a bit because his previous high was 31 and 32. I don't see the Cards very much but it just looks like he either

1) Blossomed this pass season

2) Decided to start playing.

Bryan Thomas is back to being M.I.A after signing this deal so it may be time to push him a bit.

6.5 sacks last year, 98 tackles. The tackles number bother me a bit because his previous high was 31 and 32. I don't see the Cards very much but it just looks like he either

Bryan Thomas is back to being M.I.A after signing this deal so it may be time to push him a bit.

I say Bryan Thomas gets one more chance from the Jets and if he plays the way he did last season he'll be inactive by mid season or gone

1. Vilma to Carolina for Jenkins

2. Robertson to Denver for something

3. Sign Faneca

4. Sign Tommy Kelly

5. Sign Drew Carter / Jabar Gaffney / Bryant Johnson / Jerry Porter / Donte Stallworth

6. Draft Gholston and Cherlius

:beer:

I admit I don't know much about Pace...but he scares me, I rather draft a pass rusher.

Roberson is a complete SCRUB, get this guy and his filthy contract out of here.

one thing you gotta say about DRob though over these years Ghost is he's tough-he plays through pain and doesn't miss games-Bryan Thomas too-I respect both of those guys for that as NY Jets

1. Vilma to Carolina for Jenkins

2. Robertson to Denver for something

3. Sign Faneca

4. Sign Tommy Kelly

5. Sign Drew Carter / Jabar Gaffney / Bryant Johnson / Jerry Porter / Donte Stallworth

6. Draft Gholston and Cherlius

:beer:

Am I the only one who thinks Bryant Johnson could be the best pickup of that group? Doesn't come with the attitude of Porter, should be a bit cheaper than Stallworth, but he still has the talent to be a great #3 if you ask me.

Archived