Chris Long?

Favorite_Toon

Chris Long not a good fit for Jets 511383.jpg

By Dan Leberfeld

Posted Feb 23, 2008

Indianapolis - Many have speculated that Chris Long would be a good fit for the Jets 3-4 defense. Think again.

The UVA defensive end admitted Saturday, at the combine, that he's not big enough to play end in a 3-4 defense.

Long measured 6-3, 272 pounds in Indianapolis.

"Most 3-4 ends are at least three beans (300 pounds)," Long said.

Long said 3-4 end is probably his third best position on the NFL level. 4-3 end would be Number One, and 3-4 outside linebacker would be second.

But Long has really never played 3-4 outside linebacker, so that is strictly a projection. And he'd probably have to lose 20 pounds. His best position on the next level is clearly 4-3 end, so this makes him a bad fit for

Chris Long would be able to fit somewhere, he is just way too talented and too good of an all round prospect not to be able to fit a certain scheme. He could bulk up a bit and play end or play OLB, where I also think he could be very effective. If he’s available at 6 I can’t see how the Hell we pass on him.

Chris Long not a good fit for Jets 511383.jpg

By Dan Leberfeld

Posted Feb 23, 2008

Indianapolis - Many have speculated that Chris Long would be a good fit for the Jets 3-4 defense. Think again.

The UVA defensive end admitted Saturday, at the combine, that he's not big enough to play end in a 3-4 defense.

Long measured 6-3, 272 pounds in Indianapolis.

Long said 3-4 end is probably his third best position on the NFL level. 4-3 end would be Number One, and 3-4 outside linebacker would be second.

But Long has really never played 3-4 outside linebacker, so that is strictly a projection. And he'd probably have to lose 20 pounds. His best position on the next level is clearly 4-3 end, so this makes him a bad fit for

dan leberfeld knows nothing about football scouting. chris long is the best fit for 3-4 OLB position, he has fluid hips. a good change of direction. and great instintcs. now i love darren mcfadden but if chris longs up there i'm taking him period.

O.L.B Ideal for the 3-4 A.K.A Mike Vrabel, with better athleticism and a better motor.

http://www.nfl.com/players/mikevrabel/profile?id=VRA088990

I hear his playing weight is around 270.

Go Long! - He's number one on my board!

I agree and think he would be even better than Vrabel.

Hopefully he falls to us, IMO that's the ideal scenario.

Can't see it though.

I could see Chris Long next to Harris on the inside also, to me he could play any linebacker position and DE also.

That was my point originally, he's strong enough to fit as an Inside LB in a 3-4 scheme.

The problem I have with the article isn't Lieberfield - It's Long.

It's almost as if he's trying to find an excuse for a team NOT to take him? Something tells me Howie is a part of this....

That was my point originally, he's strong enough to fit as an Inside LB in a 3-4 scheme.

It's almost as if he's trying to find an excuse for a team NOT to take him? Something tells me Howie is a part of this....

Thats exactly what I read into it too. It sounds like hes dropping hints as to where he doesnt want to go.

Chris Long said this a while ago and we've already had a discussion on it. Al groh is pushing him as a 34 OLB and he would be a great one; i do think he would make a better 43 DE ala Kampman.

The only thing in my mind that chris long has in comparison with vrabel is that he's white. Vrabel is a better fit inside because he's not as smooth laterally and athletic as long; the pats have been talking for a while about finding a proper OLB so that vrabel can play his more natural position of ILB.

Baumerjet; you don't take a person as athletic as long and stick him inside, shedding blockers and making plays on the ball carrier. You draft him so he can be an edge rusher and constantly get after the QB. If we drafted long and plugged him as an ILB, it would be like the mistake St. Louis made of drafting Carricker and playing him as a NT when clearly his best position is a 34 DE or UT. Now the rams could draft dorsey and play with two UTs, a lot of tampa 2 teams do that, but i just wouldn't like putting Long as an ILB.

I remember reading an article not too long ago where Chris Long himself brought up an interesting point. He played in college as a 3-4 end, and really doesn't have any experience as either a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 DE.

I know,they're different positions, but really unless you're picking him to be a 3-4 end he'll have to learn a new position. At least in a 3-4, he already has an understanding of the system.

Chris Long would be able to fit somewhere, he is just way too talented and too good of an all round prospect not to be able to fit a certain scheme. He could bulk up a bit and play end or play OLB, where I also think he could be very effective. If he

Hell it work out well for Archie and Eli didn't it? :biggrin:

I dont knwo how many times I have to SAY we dont need ends and running back s we need a WR! last time I checked a game that ends 0 to 0 is is tie nto a win you need to score points to win and we just signed jessie chapman the second best free agent running back behind Jamal Lewis and definitly better the m. Turner

I dont knwo how many times I have to SAY we dont need ends and running back s we need a WR! last time I checked a game that ends 0 to 0 is is tie nto a win you need to score points to win and we just signed jessie chapman the second best free agent running back behind Jamal Lewis and definitly better the m. Turner

jesse chatman better than michael turner???...i hope your right

Smoke some more crack!!! Not even close... Chatman will be lucky to make our team..

all I can say is I am SO GLAD we didn't waste the picks it would have taken to get Michael Turner-he is a back-up running back nothing more and nothing less-WAY over-rated

chris long would get worn down inside on the line with those big tackles on him he is best suited for 3-4 OLB position

UC0guzCtZ7U

listen to the commentary

He is pretty amazing. Like I said before he's just too talented at so many different things to not be able to find a position in any scheme.

Archived