Jets Have 4.5 Million In Cap Space And Still Looking At Free Agents =O

Jedi_Jet1121

Jets Have $4.5 Million Remaining in Cap Space

Jason Cole over at Yahoo! Sports reports the figures of all 32 teams in the NFL.

While the Jets were in the high 20s just a few weeks ago, that number has now been whittled down to just $4.5 million in cap spendings. When you consider that if the Jets stick in their current slots, they will likely have a Rookie Pool of between $5-6 million, something

Jets Have $4.5 Million Remaining in Cap Space

Jason Cole over at Yahoo! Sports reports the figures of all 32 teams in the NFL.

While the Jets were in the high 20s just a few weeks ago, that number has now been whittled down to just $4.5 million in cap spendings. When you consider that if the Jets stick in their current slots, they will likely have a Rookie Pool of between $5-6 million, something

Baker signed a 3-year, $5.4M contract in November.

Rhodes needs an extension; he's only signed through the 2008 season. Hope Oakland's deal with Gebril Wilson didn't screw us too badly; it probably will at least to some extent.

Cutting/trading DRob clears $7.7M if we take his entire hit this year; we clear $9.8M if we designate him as a post-6/1 cut & split it in '08/'09 (leaving a $2.1M residual hit in '09). We gave him $13M total in SB's ($3M in '03 spread over the entire 7 yrs of his contract; and $10M in '04 spread over the final 6 years) as best I can tell. I'm not sure if the $3M was able to be spread over 7 years but I'm proceeding with that assumption. Clearing $7.7M seems plenty to me & is probably more prudent than pushing $2M off to next year; they'd have to be looking at another major signing (in addition to Rhodes) to need the full $9.8M in '08.

Baker signed a 3-year, $5.4M contract in November.

Rhodes needs an extension; he's only signed through the 2008 season. Hope Oakland's deal with Gebril Wilson didn't screw us too badly; it probably will at least to some extent.

Cutting/trading DRob clears $7.7M if we take his entire hit this year; we clear $9.8M if we designate him as a post-6/1 cut & split it in '08/'09 (leaving a $2.1M residual hit in '09). We gave him $13M total in SB's ($3M in '03 spread over the entire 7 yrs of his contract; and $10M in '04 spread over the final 6 years) as best I can tell. I'm not sure if the $3M was able to be spread over 7 years but I'm proceeding with that assumption. Clearing $7.7M seems plenty to me & is probably more prudent than pushing $2M off to next year; they'd have to be looking at another major signing (in addition to Rhodes) to need the full $9.8M in '08.

The 3M was spreadable over 7 yrs (if that makes sense)

Keep in mind if Robertson is traded prior to 6/1, we must take the entire cap hit this year.

I'm excited that we added Jenkins, Faneca, Woody and Pace but maybe we went a little overboard with Richardson and Chatman?

Im not really excited knowing that we only have about 4 million left in cap, after the draft we might be in cap hell?

All I know is this... We need to get ride of Robertson and Pennington, those contracts are out of control

I'm excited that we added Jenkins, Faneca, Woody and Pace but maybe we went a little overboard with Richardson and Chatman?

Im not really excited knowing that we only have about 4 million left in cap, after the draft we might be in cap hell?

All I know is this... We need to get ride of Robertson and Pennington, those contracts are out of control

We went overboard with Pace.

Richardson and Chatman aren't signed to big money contracts.

We went overboard with Pace.

Richardson and Chatman aren't signed to big money contracts.

I really hope that Chatman doesnt slow down the progression of Leon Washington, I really never liked Chatman and as far as him being a "Great" short yardage back, he's really just above average in my eyes

Maybe Rhodes' agent was telling him in January to just sit tight, the market is coming to us. That would have been my advice then if I were his agent and don't see any reasons to change that though process now.

No real hurry if you are Kerry Rhodes.

IMO The Pace contract is where we went overboard. Let's all hope he has a monster year and he's contract will seem like a steal.

IMO The Pace contract is where we went overboard. Let's all hope he has a monster year and he's contract will seem like a steal.

Now I'll take an OLB with 6.5 sacks per season. But, if you make that OLB the highest paid because he produced decently in only one year of his career, which happened to be a contract year.. it sounds stupid.

The thing you have to ask yourself, though if this is a terrible deal as it looks to be.. Did Tangini, in fact, go out and fill arguably our two biggest needs with star players and then all of the sudden become temporarily insane just long enough to sign Calvin Pace?

In isolation, it sounds bad.. but it has to make sense in a way, since we know Tangini have made great moves. It just has to make sense somehow..

No rush on Rhodes IMO

See how he performs nect season, and if Tangini likes what they see, franchise the guy tying him up for the next 2 seasons

First of all, he's gonna do great next year again. Won't that annoy him, getting franchised? I just think the Jets owe him some loyalty, he has been nothing but classy and one of the few bright points last year.

First of all, he's gonna do great next year again. Won't that annoy him, getting franchised? I just think the Jets owe him some loyalty, he has been nothing but classy and one of the few bright points last year.

Let him be annoyed then.

The franchise tag is a part of today's NFL and plenty of guys that are franchised end up resigning anyway.

Now I'll take an OLB with 6.5 sacks per season. But, if you make that OLB the highest paid because he produced decently in only one year of his career, which happened to be a contract year.. it sounds stupid.

The thing you have to ask yourself, though if this is a terrible deal as it looks to be.. Did Tangini, in fact, go out and fill arguably our two biggest needs with star players and then all of the sudden become temporarily insane just long enough to sign Calvin Pace?

In isolation, it sounds bad.. but it has to make sense in a way, since we know Tangini have made great moves. It just has to make sense somehow..

Look, nothing is really set in stone with Pace. Its not just talent, its chemistry and teamwork. What can the front line give Pace to work with? once he can get an idea of what the D-line can present to him then he will begin to excel. I guarantee this, if pace has a bad season...the D-line did as well. If Pace has a great season....well, you know where im going with this.

For this reason here is why I "KNOW" that we're going to pick up Gholston @ number 6 if he's there. We are going to need to solidify that line playing 3-4 and we cant keep hitting free agency because look at whats going on now??? We spent the money and people are already in shambles because we have 4.4 mil left. Thats what the Jets were suppposed to do. Spend it on PROVEN talent.

Secondly, If Pace becomes a "Bust"...I wouldnt even be mad. We still had the best free agency so far in regards to replacing problems with star players....Pace is a wish on a star right now, but if Jenkins looses the weight, Gholston progresses, Harris dominates, Ellis has another solid year, Revis becomes the Sure stop CB and Rhodes becomes the Pro Bowler that technically he should have received last year, then we have a DEFENSE gentlemen!

In other words, Pace will be fine. Stop thinking about the money, the jets wont bankrupt, i promise...us true fans will be make sure of it. We'll be buying the tickets and buying over priced beers watching the ladies remove their tops during halftime...lol.

(Damn I just LOVE being a Jets Fan!)

Archived