Pro Football Talk/Jets Draft Needs

NYDreamer

There's no way they go CB with #6! Unlss Gholston,DMC, (yes, I said it. Not that I want him, but alot of so called experts seem to think the Jets do) and Matt Ryan are gone! Then I could see CB. I still feel Cromartie is a reach any where in the first round. The kid was burned often in college, great senior bowl and good combine, suddenly he's top pick quality? I'm not buying it. Yes he has potential, but first round I don't want potential, I want stud!

Yeah, I agree. The draft will've gone bad if a CB is the value pick for the Jets at #6. I hope at least one of the DT's gets picked early, helping to push someone the Jets could use down. Gholston, either Long, or McFadden (like him or not), would all help the team immediately.

CB's a need, but I think WR is a bigger need. I'm hoping for one of the above in the first, a WR in the second, with a value pick at CB later in the draft.

Yeah, I agree. The draft will've gone bad if a CB is the value pick for the Jets at #6. I hope at least one of the DT's gets picked early, helping to push someone the Jets could use down. Gholston, either Long, or McFadden (like him or not), would all help the team immediately.

CB's a need, but I think WR is a bigger need. I'm hoping for one of the above in the first, a WR in the second, with a value pick at CB later in the draft.

I agree. We could have the best secondary in the NFL and our defense will still suck balls b/c the front 7 can't rush the passer.

gholston, long and mcfadden could be off the board by #6. then what? let's say you can't trade down. it's not ideal but CB is the next sensible pick.

here's one for you, and I'm sure not many would agree with me, but if QB Matt Ryan falls to 6 in the above scenario I would still pick the best CB available and pass on the QB (no pun intended). I would again go defense with the 2nd round depending on who's available with someone like DE Quentin Groves, or DE Calais Campbell, or DE Cliff Avril, or LB Shawn Crable.

This draft could go a long way to completely turning our defense from one of the worst in the league to one of the best in just one season! On the other hand, I don't see this draft impacting our offense much except in the later rounds for depth. That includes Mcfadden and/or any WR prospect available at #36.

This year we're in a great position to impact our defense with the draft. Let's do it. Next year we can address the offense with impact players without missing stride.

There's no way they go CB with #6! Unlss Gholston,DMC, (yes, I said it. Not that I want him, but alot of so called experts seem to think the Jets do) and Matt Ryan are gone! Then I could see CB. I still feel Cromartie is a reach any where in the first round. The kid was burned often in college, great senior bowl and good combine, suddenly he's top pick quality? I'm not buying it. Yes he has potential, but first round I don't want potential, I want stud!

I disagree. I actually think the Jets WILL wind up selecting either McKelvin or DRC at 6, unless Dorsey is there and they have an opportunity to trade down.

gholston, long and mcfadden could be off the board by #6. then what? let's say you can't trade down. it's not ideal but CB is the next sensible pick.

here's one for you, and I'm sure not many would agree with me, but if QB Matt Ryan falls to 6 in the above scenario I would still pick the best CB available and pass on the QB (no pun intended). I would again go defense with the 2nd round depending on who's available with someone like DE Quentin Groves, or DE Calais Campbell, or DE Cliff Avril, or LB Shawn Crable.

This draft could go a long way to completely turning our defense from one of the worst in the league to one of the best in just one season! On the other hand, I don't see this draft impacting our offense much except in the later rounds for depth. That includes Mcfadden and/or any WR prospect available at #36.

This year we're in a great position to impact our defense with the draft. Let's do it. Next year we can address the offense with impact players without missing stride.

sheer and utter brilliance... precisely what i've been lobbying for... i'd soil myself if they scooped up gholston @ 6 and groves in the second... coleman, jenkins, and ellis up front, slide pace inside, since he's expressed a desire to expand his repertoire, for a LB corps of gholston, pace, harris, groves... that's so sick i'd have to puke... as if it were some sort of requirement... alas, it's only a poor jet fan's pipedream...

sheer and utter brilliance... precisely what i've been lobbying for... i'd soil myself if they scooped up gholston @ 6 and groves in the second... coleman, jenkins, and ellis up front, slide pace inside, since he's expressed a desire to expand his repertoire, for a LB corps of gholston, pace, harris, groves... that's so sick i'd have to puke... as if it were some sort of requirement... alas, it's only a poor jet fan's pipedream...

What about the offense ? The D was addressed quite nicely in FA but IMO the "O" is still lacking.

What about the offense ? The D was addressed quite nicely in FA but IMO the "O" is still lacking.

There is always next year's draft, if we are in position to get better defensive guys we should not hesitate to pick them up.

There is always next year's draft, if we are in position to get better defensive guys we should not hesitate to pick them up.

I'm tired of waiting (I'm a lot older than you) . F it !!! Let's strike this year !!! I'd simply love to see us trade down and pick up an extra draft pick say in the 2nd. Tell me you wouldn't love to see Fred Davis at TE in passing downs.

2000 ravens proved a balls-out O wasn't as necessary to winning a championship as a lights-out D... the colts has had THE premier O for many moons and only managed to win a championship until the D caught up (relatively speaking)... besides, an O can always get lucky, but your D has got to be good, if not great, because it can't bank on dumb luck...

all in all, i'd take my chances at being able to win games where the D consistently holds opponents under 7 points, as opposed to shoot-outs where you're hoping your O isn't the first one to get stopped.

yes, everyone is concerned about scoring. as men, it's inherent. but what good is that if you can't stop your opponent from scoring more than you? isn't it much less disconcerting if the O has to cover 3-7 points the entire game?

I hear you, but I still think if the Jets are taking a CB at #6 the draft will have not gone their way to that point. I'm hoping Dorsey and Matt Ryan go in the top 5. As long as that happens, someone I'd really like will be there at #6 (all politics being local). I know a lot of people are against McFadden, but I'd take him. The money these early picks get is ridiculous, but the good thing about a RB is that they start earning their cash day one. That said, so do CB's for the most part.

Wide receivers take time to develop. I don't want to wait another draft to take one, because the guy they take this year is unlikely to contribute a lot as a rookie. I haven't given up on Brad Smith, but they need to get someone this year who'll be ready for a primetime role when Coles' contract is up in two years. I'm hoping a WR represents value in the second, because I don't want to see them reaching for any player - and I think CB at #6 is a reach.

You're right. The offense needs more size and speed at the skill positions.

But let's say we draft a RB. How much will that change the complexion of our present running game with Jones, Washington and Chatman?

And let's say we draft a WR in the 2nd. The biggest WRs will be gone by then so we will be left with a good, but small target. How much will that really impact our present receiving corps?

Drafting offense this year could very well improve our team, but when you consider the dynamics, it doesn't seem like it will do much for this year. Drafting a RB and WR will not supplant our present RBs and WRs much, if at all this year. A player like Mcfadden will still be sharing carries with 2 or 3 other RBs. And any WR we pick up in the 2nd will not likely unseat Coles or Cotchery.

Drafting offense will have its biggest impact in a couple of years when we will need to replace those veterans. So draft those positions next year.

This year when we can possibly make our defense great for years we should do it. This also doesn't preclude picking up some offensive players in the later rounds for depth. But when our defense looks like its just a couple of good players away from being great we need to use our early round picks to make it happen.

I hear you, but I still think if the Jets are taking a CB at #6 the draft will have not gone their way to that point. I'm hoping Dorsey and Matt Ryan go in the top 5. As long as that happens, someone I'd really like will be there at #6 (all politics being local). I know a lot of people are against McFadden, but I'd take him. The money these early picks get is ridiculous, but the good thing about a RB is that they start earning their cash day one. That said, so do CB's for the most part.

Wide receivers take time to develop. I don't want to wait another draft to take one, because the guy they take this year is unlikely to contribute a lot as a rookie. I haven't given up on Brad Smith, but they need to get someone this year who'll be ready for a primetime role when Coles' contract is up in two years. I'm hoping a WR represents value in the second, because I don't want to see them reaching for any player - and I think CB at #6 is a reach.

If it were between Mcfadden and a CB, I wouldn't pass on Mcfadden.

On the other hand, in the second round I don't think we're going to find the kind of WR that fans are clammering for. Which big physical target is going to still be on the board at #36? Besides we're not desperate at WR we just need to upgrade the position if we can.

(you could also argue we need some insurance for "concussion" Coles, but I still don't know that I would want to spend a less than ideal 2nd rounder for it)

Bottom line I think this draft is better suited to help our defense.

On the other hand, in the second round I don't think we're going to find the kind of WR that fans are clammering for. Which big physical target is going to still be on the board at #36?

If they see it the same way, I'd be ok with a move to trade up from their second round pick to target the WR they like. But you don't think a guy like Hardy will be there at #36?

Faneca was a key addition on offense, but they really need some receiving help. Especially if they're looking to honestly evaluate Clemens before looking in another direction at starting QB. I hope we get something out of Stuckey and Smith this year, but I'm not holding my breath. Coles is "a warrior," but he played hurt most of last year and it really effected his game. The team needs other options. Especially in the red zone.

If they see it the same way, I'd be ok with a move to trade up from their second round pick to target the WR they like. But you don't think a guy like Hardy will be there at #36?

I haven't seen such good reports on Hardy. I hear he has average speed. Takes a while to get up to speed. Not a good deep threat because of his speed. Will get caught from behind often.

Also, his hands are only above-average. Caught 79 balls as a junior, but was thrown to 144 times.

He's also had some serious off-field issues, including allegations of hitting his girlfriend. This caused him to spend three days in jail in 2006. Suspended two games in 2006 for undisclosed reasons not relating to the battery incident.

Hardy

I haven't seen such good reports on Hardy. I hear he has average speed. Takes a while to get up to speed. Not a good deep threat because of his speed. Will get caught from behind often.

Also, his hands are only above-average. Caught 79 balls as a junior, but was thrown to 144 times.

He's also had some serious off-field issues, including allegations of hitting his girlfriend. This caused him to spend three days in jail in 2006. Suspended two games in 2006 for undisclosed reasons not relating to the battery incident.

Hardy

Hardy would improve our receiving corps by giving us a legit endzone threat. Coles and Cotch are good but they are posession receivers.

You can't teach height in the NFL. Hardy would have an instant advantage over DB's trying to get those jump balls in the endzone.

Whoever is our QB next year, Chad or Kellen, will be have a better TD/INT ratio if he's throwing to Hardy in the endzone.

He's a red zone threat, but is otherwise average. He won't be #1 receiver and maybe not even a #2. I don't think a probable #3 receiver is worth a high 2nd round draft pick.

He's a red zone threat, but is otherwise average. He won't be #1 receiver and maybe not even a #2. I don't think a probable #3 receiver is worth a high 2nd round draft pick.

What other receiver would you take in round 2? Other than Sweed I don't see any "can't miss" guys.

I think Hardy will be a decent #2 receiver who will be a legit endzone threat who gets 700-800 yards a year and grab betwen 7-10 td's a season.

What other receiver would you take in round 2? Other than Sweed I don't see any "can't miss" guys.

I think Hardy will be a decent #2 receiver who will be a legit endzone threat who gets 700-800 yards a year and grab betwen 7-10 td's a season.

Malcolm Kelly would be worth a 2nd rounder, but he'll be off the board probably mid to late 1st round.

Hardy won't be the bap at #36, certainly not for the Jets. That's why I think they should go CB in the 2nd round. There are a number of good CBs with 1st round talent and one should be available at #36.

Malcolm Kelly would be worth a 2nd rounder, but he'll be off the board probably mid to late 1st round.

Hardy won't be the bap at #36, certainly not for the Jets. That's why I think they should go CB in the 2nd round. There are a number of good CBs with 1st round talent and one should be available at #36.

I simply cannot understand this infatuation with corners.

We already have a good secondary. Even if Barrett or Poteat starts our secondary is still pretty good with Rhodes, Revis and Elam. If our front 7 can actually rush the QB and stop the run they will be fine.

The Jets need an endzone threat and eventual replacement for Coles a lot more urgently then they need another CB who will probably be ineffective if we can't get a pass rush going.

I agree with you so much about drafting 2 LB's and a WR/CB with our picks (hopefully we could get a 3rd Rounder somehow by trading DRob or Chad on Draft Day, supposedly DRob has a deal in place with Denver, but thats for a 4th or 5th Round Draft Pick, so the 3rd Rounder would have to come from a trade, IMO i hope and pray that its Chad moving on Draft Day not the N.Y. Jets away from #6) 2 other LB's that I think could be on the board at #36 and possibly even #98-4th Round are Curtis Lofton and Shawn Crable. I am absolutely in love, no homo, with Shawn Crable and the fact that people are sleeping on him. I hope they are indeed sleeping on him instead of them thinking he wont turn out to be a good player in the NFL. A guy like Adarious Bowman could also be the physical Red-Zone Threat that we are looking for in either the 2nd Round or 3rd Round(if we trade somehow) I think Pace/Harris/Lofton or Crable/Gholston could have the potential to be one of, if not the, greatest LB Corp ever assembled. (I KNOW HOW CRAZY THAT SOUNDS, but if you run a 3-4 Defense, you have to have big Downlineman who can absorb double teams and plug up running lanes so that the LB's can swarm, blitz, disguise their coverages and packages and rush the passer!!

You're not the only one with that pipedream scionce...I hear you and Mangenius is already ten steps ahead of us. I can honestly say, that even after our 4-12 year, I trust Mangini fully in putting his vision of a 3-4 Stud-Filled Defense into execution no matter if it takes 2 more years.

Sedrick Ellis. He draws tons of comparisons to richard seymore, he's a hard working player big frame, great motor. Shawn Ellis is on the way out, and Coleman is just decent. RDE should be addressed sooner rather than later.

Not to mention he might be good to spell Jenkins/Pouha on occasion.

Archived