ESPN article on top 10 recievers ever

Blackout

1. JERRY RICE

Career: Played for 49ers, Raiders and Seahawks from 1985-2004. Holds NFL records for receptions (1,549), receiving yards (22,895), TD receptions (197), TDs (207).

Quick quote: "Jerry had a tremendous combination of speed, size, toughness, smarts." -- Holmgren, Rice's offensive coordinator in San Francisco

2. RANDY MOSS

Career: Set NFL record with 23 TD catches last season with Patriots.

Quick quote: "Randy Moss catches the ball so well almost without looking at it sometimes. He is scary physically." -- Boyd Dowler, retired scout and former NFL receiver.

3. DON HUTSON

Career: Played for Packers from 1935-45. Held 18 NFL records when he retired. Elected to Hall of Fame in 1963.

Quick quote: "Lean and swift, and boy, he could catch the heck out of it." -- Hall of Famer Berry, who studied films of Hutson in detail.

4. MICHAEL IRVIN

Career: Played for Cowboys from 1988-99. Had 750 career receptions for 11,904 yards. Elected to Hall of Fame in 2007.

Quick quote: "People might not like some of the other things, but when he was on those stripes, he was as competitive as there is." -- Hall of Fame QB Moon

5. PAUL WARFIELD

Career: Played for Browns, Dolphins from 1964-77. Averaged 20.1 yards per catch. Elected to Hall of Fame in 1983.

Quick quote: "Warfield was a lot like Charlie Joiner. Every step meant something to those guys. Warfield got into his route and it was like somebody falling off the face of the earth. That's how quick he could be into it." -- Hall of Fame safety Houston

6. CHARLEY TAYLOR

Career: Played for Redskins 1964-77. All-time leading receiver with 649 catches for 9,110 yards when he retired. Elected to Hall of Fame in 1984.

Quick quote: "Those types of athletes who played more than one position --- Charley Taylor -- are worth the price of admission just to see them line up. That is an athlete right there, a subject in itself." -- Berry

7. STEVE LARGENT

Career: Played for Seahawks from 1976-89. Had 819 catches, 13,089 yards, 100 TDs. Elected to Hall of Fame in 1995.

Quick quote: "He was as crafty as anybody I could recall. He wasn't a big guy, but he knew exactly how to lean on people and his hands were unbelievable." -- Packers GM Ted Thompson

8. CRIS CARTER

Career: Played for Eagles, Vikings, Dolphins from 1987-2002. Had 13,899 yards receiving, 130 TD receptions.

Quick quote: "I've never been around a guy as competitive as he is. He is so confident. He was a hard worker, which I enjoyed because whatever I got in practice, I knew that's I was going to get in the game." -- Moon

9. TERRELL OWENS

Career: Has 129 TD receptions in career with 49ers, Eagles, Cowboys.

Quick quote: "My biggest knock on him is he drops too many balls, but he makes a lot of big plays and he's as good as there is after the catch and he makes difficult catches." -- Moon

10. MARVIN HARRISON

Career: Has spent entire 12-yard career with Colts. Set NFL record with 143 receptions in 2002.

Quick quote: "Of all the things that impresses me, it's how he goes about his job, how he goes about his business. He's not a fanfare guy. He's just a football player." -- Holmgren

______-

No maynard?

Randy Moss was basically invisible during the playoffs and SB

If a QB has to be great in a SB to be considered one of the best, WR needs to have the same criteria

Moss is not nearly one of the all time best

For once we agree. Moss disappeared in MIN during just about every playoff game, then disappeared from the planet when MIN finally cut their losses with the guy and sent him to OAK. Then, again when it counted, he disappeared in the playoffs for what was possibly the best team of all time. There is no way he's the #2 receiver of all time. No way in hell.

A lot of these guys are really recent, I'm not sure if I agree with TO, Harrison, Carter or Largent.

Where is Tim Brown? How does he not make this list considering the people that did?

Tim Brown is not better than any of those guys. I've never seen Largent play, but TO, Carter and Harrison are all better than TB. The only way TB is better than those guys is if you're looking at their collegiate careers.

For once we agree. Moss disappeared in MIN during just about every playoff game, then disappeared from the planet when MIN finally cut their losses with the guy and sent him to OAK. Then, again when it counted, he disappeared in the playoffs for what was possibly the best team of all time. There is no way he's the #2 receiver of all time. No way in hell.

Well it depends on the exact definition of this top 10 list. If by "top 10" they mean they most talented players ever, then I dont think theres any doubt he's top two, maybe even #1 (Rice's work ethic is what got him where he is, I think even he would have to admit that Moss is just an absolute athletic freak).

However, if this list is the all around best players at the WR position, including play in clutch spots and championships(which is how I would interpret what this list should be), then for me at least, Moss drops to 8th or 9th.

Just my opinion though.

Archived