Those Robinson Cano

GimmeShelter

The position scarcity comparison is really a laughable element when compring Wright to Cano. There is no justifiable quantification for it other than, well, Yankee fans say so.

If position justification was in fact true, then Chase Utley > ARod.

Just look at the the last 2 years with HRs and RBI:

'06 and '07 combined HR and RBI

Utley 54 and 205

ARod 89 and 277

Arod has him by 39 and 26 percent

Wright 56 and 223

Cano 34 and 175

Wright has him by 40 and 22 percent.

The disparagy between Wright and Cano and Arod and Utley are relatively close.

Based on Yankee fan opinions presented on this board, based on position scarcity, Utley > ARod. And Utley missed 3 weeks or so last year, to boot.

The position scarcity comparison is really a laughable element when compring Wright to Cano. There is no justifiable quantification for it other than, well, Yankee fans say so.

If position justification was in fact true, then Chase Utley > ARod.

Just look at the the last 2 years with HRs and RBI:

'06 and '07 combined HR and RBI

Utley 54 and 205

ARod 89 and 277

Arod has him by 39 and 26 percent

Wright 56 and 223

Cano 34 and 175

Wright has him by 40 and 22 percent.

The disparagy between Wright and Cano and Arod and Utley are relatively close.

Based on Yankee fan opinions presented on this board, based on position scarcity, Utley > ARod. And Utley missed 3 weeks or so last year, to boot.

Excellent post SD and it's exactly why the positional BS is to be ignored. Wright is the better player. That's all.

And Cano is an excellent, excellent player, that nay team beside teh Phillies would love to have manning 2nd base.

Absolutely, they're both great young players. Wright is the better of the two.

People develop at different speeds and the people who like cano are merely suggesting that cano does not have the plate discipline that other great hitters have and that it is something that can be taught. If he learns this it is possible for Cano to hit .350 consistently for the rest of his career. .340 22hrs and 90rbi's a year is a beautiful thing from a second baseman.

People for Cano also cite the fact that you generally get more production out of a third baseman and that a hard-hitting third baseman isn't really that big of a deal. It is what is expected. Even if Wright is better than average he isn't the top at his position. People are saying that they would rather take Cano and A-rod or Cano and Miggy than Wright and whomever the mets have a second. Baseball is a team sport and it's not about what individual is more talented but which individual is better for your team. Would you rather have A-rod and Cano or Wright and Castillo/Easley? People are saying they would rather have the increased produtcion from 2nd because it is easier to find David Wright like production out of third.

Name me all those 2007 30HR - 30SB's, 100 RBI's , .324 BA Gold Glove winning 3rd Basemans that are so readily available and easier to find. Let's remember Bret Boone was your 3B of choice before ARod.

Cano is very very good and among the elite at his position. He just is not David Wright talent wise and likewise David is not ARod.

Most Met fans do not compare Wright to ARod but if you searched the archives here, plenty of Yank fans were saying he was better and more clutch when ARod was going through his play-off droughts.

Name me all those 2007 30HR - 30SB's, 100 RBI's , .324 BA Gold Glove winning 3rd Basemans that are so readily available and easier to find. Let's remember Bret Boone was your 3B of choice before ARod.

Cano is very very good and among the elite at his position. He just is not David Wright talent wise and likewise David is not ARod.

Most Met fans do not compare Wright to ARod but if you searched the archives here, plenty of Yank fans were saying he was better and more clutch when ARod was going through his play-off droughts.

I never said I agreed, I was merely stating the argument. I would rather have A-Rod and Cano than Wright and whoever the **** you guys have one second. I'd rather have wright on third, a-rod at short, cano on second and Jeter on first. That would be the best infield in all of baseball.

I never said I agreed, I was merely stating the argument. I would rather have A-Rod and Cano than Wright and whoever the **** you guys have one second. I'd rather have wright on third, a-rod at short, cano on second and Jeter on first. That would be the best infield in all of baseball.

It was NEVER stated in the manner that you did -Wright AND whoever plays second or A-Rod AND Cano.

Now you are making things up.

It was who would you rather have, Wright OR Cano. And then some abstract "Position scarcity" came down from some Yankee fans like Moses and the tablets from God.

It was NEVER stated in the manner that you did -Wright AND whoever plays second or A-Rod AND Cano.

It was who would you rather have, Wright OR Cano. And then some abstract "Position scarcity" came down from some Yankee fans like Moses and the tablets from God.

That was an excellent Charlton Heston reference.

But that is the whole reason people are saying that they would want Cano. Because of guys like A-rod who play third. It was never about was was better individually but who had more value to your team. Cano has more value to Yankee fans because of A-rod.

Absolutely. We are just talking about two different things/threads.

Yet another player compared to David Wright cannot measure up as a 3rd baseman at least when you consider the 5 tools stars like ARod and Wright posses.

My condolences to Blackout who over pimped this guy.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080423/OPINION03/804230387/1129

For the past three weeks, it had been apparent the Tigers had a problem on the infield's left side.

The problem, in two words, was Miguel Cabrera. He was missing too many ground balls. His range was becoming not just an issue, but a crisis.

Cabrera is a tremendous hitter who is warming up to his role and to his future in Detroit as a slugger on the level of Albert Pujols in St. Louis or the Alex Rodriguez in New York. If he's not sabotaged by injury, you can see in the 25-year-old Cabrera's future a Hall of Fame induction.

But his defense was crippling the Tigers. It was extending innings. His inability to cut off ground balls "is left was going to be an ongoing issue on a team that needs particularly solid defense behind a pitching staff that has not been overly sharp.

In a great move by the Tigers, Carlos Guillen will take over at 3rd Base.

Blackouts criteria for analyzing baseball players falls under 2 categories

1. Are they a Yankee

2. Are they on my fantasy team.

Anyone who falls under those terms, is ok in his book. Baseball reasons be damned.

Yet another player compared to David Wright cannot measure up as a 3rd baseman at least when you consider the 5 tools stars like ARod and Wright posses.

My condolences to Blackout who over pimped this guy.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080423/OPINION03/804230387/1129

For the past three weeks, it had been apparent the Tigers had a problem on the infield's left side.

The problem, in two words, was Miguel Cabrera. He was missing too many ground balls. His range was becoming not just an issue, but a crisis.

Cabrera is a tremendous hitter who is warming up to his role and to his future in Detroit as a slugger on the level of Albert Pujols in St. Louis or the Alex Rodriguez in New York. If he's not sabotaged by injury, you can see in the 25-year-old Cabrera's future a Hall of Fame induction.

But his defense was crippling the Tigers. It was extending innings. His inability to cut off ground balls "is left was going to be an ongoing issue on a team that needs particularly solid defense behind a pitching staff that has not been overly sharp.

In a great move by the Tigers, Carlos Guillen will take over at 3rd Base.

When is Wright's contract up? I'm sure the Janks would be willing to pay a lot of scratch for him. I think he'd look great on the yankees. Wright-A rod-Cano-Jeter in the infield is all time good right there. Cashman, you heard it here first. Get on it.

When is Wright's contract up? I'm sure the Janks would be willing to pay a lot of scratch for him. I think he'd look great on the yankees. Wright-A rod-Cano-Jeter in the infield is all time good right there. Cashman, you heard it here first. Get on it.

soo A-rod is gonna play 1B im guessing???

:wtf: jeter at 1B are you crazy.. A-rod has trebbile range now of days. A-Rod is gettin so bad that he swings at the first pitch after seeing a pitcher throw 7 straight balls

I can see how you would bring up a batting argument into a fielding debate. It is very relevant

That probably wouldn't work as the argument is a singles hitter would have no value at 1B.

Traditionally speaking you are correct, however the power from wright and arod would offset this. You wouldn't need any power from first because you are getting more than enough from 3rd and SS.

Wright is signed through 2012 with a club option for 2013.

Have fun waiting.

Archived