Interesting Mangini article-NY Post

flgreen

DETAILS, DETAILS...

JET QUIZ COVERS X'S, O'S, EVEN TV SHOWS

By MARK CANNIZZARO

spo082a.jpg

MR. CURIOUS: Among the questions Jet coach Eric Mangini (above) asked Indiana cornerback Tracy Porter to determine Porter's character was, "What is your favorite TV show and why?"

article_print.gif article_email.gif article_digg.gifarticle_reddit.gif article_permalink.gif article_storybottom.gif

April 23, 2008 -- Tracy Porter had little idea this was coming while he was in the middle of his pre-draft visit with the JetsNew York Jets t.gif.

"What is your favorite TV show and why?" was one question coming from coach Eric Mangini while the two spent time together.

"Family Guy," was the response from the Indiana cornerback whom the Jets could draft with their second-round pick if Porter lasts through the bottom of the first round.

Little did Porter know, but he scored big with Mangini, because "Family Guy" is one of Mangini's favorite TV shows.

"I was totally unaware of that," Porter said. "I had no idea he liked the show, but he and I had a conversation about a couple of the episodes and talked about a few of the characters.

"Another of the questions that I didn't expect was, 'What is the nicest thing you've done for someone in the past week?' " Porter recalled.

His answer?

"I paid my mom's three credit-card bills," Porter said. "She was a little behind on the payments and I paid those off for her."

Undoubtedly, that was another good answer from the prospective draftee.

So, if the Jets end up drafting Porter, you could speculate that it's as much for his ball-hawking skills (16 career INTs at Indiana) and his speed on special teams as for his good taste in television and a propensity to do good deeds.

This is merely a part of what several potential draftees who've visited the Jets have told The Post is the most thorough pre-draft interview process they've seen from any team in the league.

"It was probably the most thorough visit I've been on," Tennessee ILB Jerod Mayo said.

"They gave me an eight-page test of plays and adjustments. It was the most thorough and in-depth visit I've been on in the 11 visits I took. I learned a lot there and feel like I can fit in with their defense."

Mayo called the test "all football and all business."

"That's how I know they're going to have a pretty good team this upcoming year," he surmised.

Mayo, like Porter, was taken aback by Mangini's interest in his character as much as his football skills.

"He's more into the person," Mayo said. "When I met with the defensive coordinator [bob Sutton] it was all football. But when I met with the GM [Mike Tannenbaum] and Coach Mangini it was all about seeing who Jerod Mayo was, and I really appreciated that."

Porter said that the defensive test made him feel as though he were preparing to play a game the next day.

"It wasn't a hard test; it was just unusual compared to the other visits I went on," he said. "No other team required that we do that but the Jets." mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

According to the NY Post, Tracy Porter experienced one of the most different interview sessions in his life

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04232008/sports/jets/details__details____107656.htm

Quote:

April 23, 2008 -- Tracy Porter had little idea this was coming while he was in the middle of his pre-draft visit with the Jets.

"What is your favorite TV show and why?" was one question coming from coach Eric Mangini while the two spent time together.

"Family Guy," was the response from the Indiana cornerback whom the Jets could draft with their second-round pick if Porter lasts through the bottom of the first round.

Little did Porter know, but he scored big with Mangini, because "Family Guy" is one of Mangini's favorite TV shows.

Thats a great article!

I like hearing kudos from players. Mayo's quote about how he knows the Jets will succeed this year-- because out of his 11 team visits, we are easily the most thorough in our testing and questioning... It would make a player feel really good about being drafted by a team that did a lot of homework on the player. Good stuff!

Thats a great article!

I like hearing kudos from players. Mayo's quote about how he knows the Jets will succeed this year-- because out of his 11 team visits, we are easily the most thorough in our testing and questioning... It would make a player feel really good about being drafted by a team that did a lot of homework on the player. Good stuff!

See everyone I do post good stuff.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04232008/sports/jets/details__details____107656.htm

Here's the part about him crediting us

This is merely a part of what several potential draftees who've visited the Jets have told The Post is the most thorough pre-draft interview process they've seen from any team in the league.

"It was probably the most thorough visit I've been on," Tennessee ILB Jerod Mayo said.

"They gave me an eight-page test of plays and adjustments. It was the most thorough and in-depth visit I've been on in the 11 visits I took. I learned a lot there and feel like I can fit in with their defense."

Mayo called the test "all football and all business."

"That's how I know they're going to have a pretty good team this upcoming year," he surmised.

Mayo, like Porter, was taken aback by Mangini's interest in his character as much as his football skills.

"He's more into the person," Mayo said. "When I met with the defensive coordinator [bob Sutton] it was all football. But when I met with the GM [Mike Tannenbaum] and Coach Mangini it was all about seeing who Jerod Mayo was, and I really appreciated that."

Porter said that the defensive test made him feel as though he were preparing to play a game the next day.

"It wasn't a hard test; it was just unusual compared to the other visits I went on," he said. "No other team required that we do that but the Jets."

GREAT JOB MANGINI!!!!!

The interesting part of this draft is, that no matter what happens, there is going to be some very good football players at 36. The whole second, and perhaps the third is that way. Mayo may be there. If he isn't another player, who was thought to be a first rounder, and slid because of the risers, will be.

I hope we can trade out of six, still get a very good player in the first, like Harvey or Stewart, and still get a couple of very good players in the second.

Archived