Wang: 5-0

Blackout

If Wang can do this in October against Sabathia, then I'll be convinced. Until then he is a really good regular season pitcher.

So because a guy has gone 1-2 in the post season that means he can't get it done? Gimme a break. The guy won the first post season game he ever pitched and then didn't have his stuff in one start and then struggled on short rest in the next one. Just because he's a Yankee doesn't mean he's not an ace.

If Wang can do this in October against Sabathia, then I'll be convinced. Until then he is a really good regular season pitcher.

Yeah, you're right. You can tell a lot more about a pitcher in 4 games than in 87, especially when two of those games were very good starts.

So because a guy has gone 1-2 in the post season that means he can't get it done? Gimme a break. The guy won the first post season game he ever pitched and then didn't have his stuff in one start and then struggled on short rest in the next one. Just because he's a Yankee doesn't mean he's not an ace.

I am sure if Chien-Ming Wang was on Boston, or anybody but the Yankees, then he'd be an ace. The Yankees aren't scoring that much on the days that he pitches, and he's still 5-0, with a 3.23 ERA.

Him not being an "Ace" has nothing to do with him being a Yankee. He is pitching very well thus far.

Yeah, you're right. You can tell a lot more about a pitcher in 4 games than in 87, especially when two of those games were very good starts.

When those four games are significantly more important than all of those other 87 combined are, yes, you can.

Him not being an "Ace" has nothing to do with him being a Yankee. He is pitching very well thus far.

When those four games are significantly more important than all of those other 87 combined are, yes, you can.

If by "thus far" you mean "since the day he got called up to the majors" then I agree. People are talking about this guy like he's a rookie out of AAA who's on a bit of a hot streak. Sorry folks, but a sub 4.00 ERA in one of the best hitting divisions in baseball two years in a row is outstanding. Add in the fact that he's a righty who pitches in a stadium that greatly favors lefty hitters and it's that much more impressive.

Then you really don't know what you're talking about. There's no point arguing with you.

By the way, try looking up his stats. He had one great game, one very good game, and two bad games.

Then you really don't know what you're talking about. There's no point arguing with you.

By the way, try looking up his stats. He had one great game, one very good game, and two bad games.

So you don't think Wang would give back all those regular season victories for a few important post-season victories, including a few in the Series?

I have looked up his stats. He pitched fairly well against the Angels in 05 until his error cost him a few runs. He threw a quality start against the Tigers, but couldn't finish the 7th, but still the Yanks won that game. And this past post-season "bad" is a dramatic understatement. He was downright awful.

Of course all of those were in the division series, not in a championship series or world series.

So you don't think Wang would give back all those regular season victories for a few important post-season victories, including a few in the Series?

I have looked up his stats. He pitched fairly well against the Angels in 05 until his error cost him a few runs. He threw a quality start against the Tigers, but couldn't finish the 7th, but still the Yanks won that game. And this past post-season "bad" is a dramatic understatement. He was downright awful.

Of course all of those were in the division series, not in a championship series or world series.

Not until he gets his first big contract. ;)

If by "thus far" you mean "since the day he got called up to the majors" then I agree. People are talking about this guy like he's a rookie out of AAA who's on a bit of a hot streak. Sorry folks, but a sub 4.00 ERA in one of the best hitting divisions in baseball two years in a row is outstanding. Add in the fact that he's a righty who pitches in a stadium that greatly favors lefty hitters and it's that much more impressive.

All true but what sets Wang below the true Aces of the game is what we saw against Cleveland last post season. If his sinker is off he is relegated to BP for the opponent. As your #1 or opening play-off game starter he also kills your pen from jump street if his sinker is missing.

I like the fact that he is attempting to add pitches to eliviate the above issue....and it's a big one. Aces find a way to get through 6-7 innings in a big spot when they don't have their best stuff. Wang does not yet have the arsenal to do that.

His stats speak for themself and he is money in the regular season but I have trepidation in labeling him a Ace or at least a elite one.

Archived