ESPN...Continually making people puke

lawngnome o-line

Chalk yet another thing up I love about ESPN is their put-the-cart-before-the-horse antics/Patriot ball-slobbering. I understand grading teams on how they drafted, but already starting Mocks for 2009? Let alone are they projecting the winners of the superbowl (Patriots, naturally) they're projecting guy's production through the course of the entire season -- not including kids that come out of nowhere or injuries.

Take a gander:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=3372132

P.S. Todd McShay, your an idiot...I thought you had Laurinaitis as on the fringe top 5 player (going to the Jets, specificially) before he decided to stay in college from one more year.

I'm calling it right now-James Laurinitis will not even be a first round draft pick next season. He was exposed and picked on in the LSU game. If you watch, LSU did everything they could to neutralize Gholston, opting instead to leave Laurinitis free or guarded 1 on 1. Laurinitis was either shotting the wrong gaps blindly or getting blocked out of the play repeatedly. There was one play I recall where LSU ran up the middle. The Center went straight ahead and engaged Laurinitis and proceeded to push him straight back for about 15-20 yards while the RB followed behind him. It was embarrassing. Laurinitis is fast, but he gambles way to much to compensate for his lack of size and strength.

I'm sorry but if the Jets take Knowshon Moreno I will be doing backflips I'll be so happy. I don't think Moreno will come out, but if he does he will not fall to 10. Then again, I don't see the Jets picking in the top 10 again next year either.

Tim Tebow in the top 10? Seriously?

Malcom Jenkins falling to 12? Not a chance.

The biggest joke is Matt Stafford. Matt Stafford? You can't be serious.

Que The Troll for his defense of any SEC QB in 5, 4, 3....

Little animal is nowhere near the athlete a lot of people made him out to be and would get picked on in the 34, however I beleive he would absolutely flourish as a WLB in a 43 system. There's really only one linebacker in the first round that I would want..and by want I mean probably touch myself if we somehow ended up with him..Rey Maualuga. This man is an absolute monster and I'm not being a homer when i say this, but Maualuga and Harris would probably give us the best inside linebackers in the league. If you guys havn't seen him I would most definately check him out.

Even though I don't beleive we will be drafting that far down, I wouldn't mind a NJ native Moreno on our team, he's unreal. Although I'm very surprised to see beanie wells not mentioned, I'm not sure who i'd rather have.

Anyways, I figured I would take the time to give a list of a few players I would start to keep my eye on this upcoming college season and where we would probably end up drafting them.

Rey Maualuga - high first

Tyson Jackson - unless some dumba$s like linehan drafts him out of place to be a 3-technique DT, he is best utitlized as a 34 DE and will probably fall towards the mid-end or end of the draft. This all all pure speculation of course, because he could have some problems and fall out of the draft but as of now.

Michael Crabtree - 1st - fantastic WR and we'll see how our WRs play this year. I beleive we need to draft a #1 WR soon.

Darius Heyward-bay - Probably in the first

Phil Loadholt - Not sold on him being a left tackle, I just don't think he has the footwork for it. He would be a mauling RT, but i can see some time grabbing him earlier in the 1st on potential. This OT class could easily top this years.

Duke Robinson - The guy who i wanted this year, but didn't declare. I don't see him as a LT so he will probably be had in the end of the first, generaly where OGs are going.

Jasper Brinkley - My favorite ILB prospect who isn't Maualuga. I don't see us being in the position to draft Rey and if Jasper can come off his ACL surgery well, he should be easily taken in the 2nd or 3rd round.

There's so many players to watch who fit our need that i can't even think of right now, but we'll have to come up with a list later. Depending on how our QB situation plays out and how we do in the season, but I have no problem with grabbing a skill player like WR and than drafting for Oline and Dline depth with our other picks. That is of course unless Duke Robinson or Tyson Jackson is there for our pick or a franchise RT who blows us out of the water. There's a lot of possibilities, lets just hope vilma and drob play well and often.

ESPN is quickly degenerating into MTV except with sports instead of bad reality shows and boy bands. Instead of Tila Tequila and Ryan Seacrest they have Tom Brady and A-Rod.

Quicly degenerating? They've been there for the past 10 years.

So what is a joke again? The fact that this guy picked the Patriots to win the Super Bowl. Is that really that outlandish of a prediction? Say moreso than predicting the Jets to win it all?

The joke is actually taking a news piece like "who are next year's top 30 draftable players" and adding an element that is only done to spur debate and self promote. You have Colts fans upset because the Pats are listed as winners, you have Giant fans upset because they are not expected to repeat and they aren't even going to finish better than the Cowboys, you have Atlanta fans pissed at being called the worst team in the league, etc.... A reputable news source lists the top 30 players for next year's draft in order of ability. A joke news source makes a tabloid story out of it by assigning an order to the teams without even playing a season. Typical ESPN, the network that brought you stellar ideas like "He got jacked up".

The joke is actually taking a news piece like "who are next year's top 30 draftable players" and adding an element that is only done to spur debate and self promote. You have Colts fans upset because the Pats are listed as winners, you have Giant fans upset because they are not expected to repeat and they aren't even going to finish better than the Cowboys, you have Atlanta fans pissed at being called the worst team in the league, etc.... A reputable news source lists the top 30 players for next year's draft in order of ability. A joke news source makes a tabloid story out of it by assigning an order to the teams without even playing a season. Typical ESPN, the network that brought you stellar ideas like "He got jacked up".

You forgot to mention the absolutely ridiculous "Who's Now" thing that they forced down our throats last year. Whenever that segment came on SportsCenter I would change the channel.

Call it biased, but I'm convinced that the Pats will NOT win the Superbowl this year. I don't think they've gotten any better, and if anything they should feel deflated. Plus its nice that the Giants have shown people how to beat them now..

Easier said than done.

Belichick knows everyone will try to copy the Giants and NE will be ready. What hurt NE was very poor TE play in the SB. Kyle Brady had his worst game at the most crucial time.

I would never count NE out from winning the SB with Brady as QB.

So I guess you're opposed to all preseason predictions as well then?

You forgot to mention the absolutely ridiculous "Who's Now" thing that they forced down our throats last year. Whenever that segment came on SportsCenter I would change the channel.

The most recent vomit projectile indusing promo I saw was for something called E-60. They had Rachel Nichols, Jeremy Schapp Jr and some other wannabe's walking around and hailing cabs with stern looks on their faces like they were real tuff guys. After two minutes of that they meet and sit down to a conference table and talk like the preppy silver spoon wimps they really are with an opening statement of "so, what are we going to talk about today?" I was all I could do to keep myself from throwing a brick through the TV, and they hadn't even started their first story.

The most recent vomit projectile indusing promo I saw was for something called E-60. They had Rachel Nichols, Jeremy Schapp Jr and some other wannabe's walking around and hailing cabs with stern looks on their faces like they were real tuff guys. After two minutes of that they meet and sit down to a conference table and talk like the preppy silver spoon wimps they really are with an opening statement of "so, what are we going to talk about today?" I was all I could do to keep myself from throwing a brick through the TV, and they hadn't even started their first story.

I LOVED listening to Mike and the Mad Dog about the E-60 thing with the Tejada story. Both of them were teeing off on ESPN for sandbagging a player who has an image that got wrecked from the steriods and now was trying to capitalize on the new story of him lying about his age. It was comical since I usually don't take many of the things Mike and Dog say to heart, just listen every once in a while in the car....but they were so spot on with everything. Its a shame though because they rode the Tejada train into the ground from that E-60 interview, whether it him striking out or him hitting a game winning HR, they always brought reference to the fact that he lied about his age and that they did real journalism and research to "uncover" the truth. Almost like they want a reward or something. I think it was Dog who said, "Yet when it comes to Barry Bonds, the biggest fish of them all with steriods, they kissed his rear for so long and dare not ask and hardball questions"

For serious, its a shame that ESPN is the only 24 hour sports channel that covers most sports (wheres my NHL love at?) and shows highlights when I can't watch games.

espn has their own agenda. I know we can't talk politics, but what do you expect from a certain group of people from norheast Bristol, Connecticut. It's almost as biased as old soviet pravda films. That is why i never watch espn and support local patriotic sports stations like sny or MSG.

So I guess you're opposed to all preseason predictions as well then?

Absolutely not, but that is not what this was. A preseason prediction article stands on its own and is written about the matchups during the season, who was added from free agency and the draft and tries to take a stab at what will happen during the year. I don't see any of that in here. What they did would be akin to writing a preseason prediction article and then assigning the Colts a 4-12 record because Peyton Manning is going to tear his rotator cuff in preseason. Where are the facts to back it up? It was only done to titilate and create discussion. That is not what reputable news sources do.

:eek: ESPN's coverage of the DRAFT was sicking:eek:, talking over the picks and having no info on the trades that were made WTF over.:bag: and boomer has got to GO.:shutit::confused::yawn::rolleyes:

I guess it would be foolish of me to inform you that we have a pretty cool smilie selection here at JN.

Archived