Linebackers -- What is going to happen

Maxman

C'mon down. You'll still be watching the games and posting here, but the food and wine is way better. ;)

Like 95% of my relatives are over there somewhere. What do you do everyday, just chill? Thats what I wanna do.

F the 9-to-5-to-65 world.

Poor man's A Thomas, that's funny considering Thomas isn't really all that. He got alot of hype since he was really the best of a very weak FA LB pool AND because he went to the Pats. He's above average, don't get me wrong, but he's no Shawn Merriman by any stretch. He was the 3rd best LB on his former team. Pace has the ability to play well if he stays outside, where he's comfortable. While I agree that Mangini moves LB's around he NEVER moved Hobson inside. I don't think Pace will be playing inside at all. He's only had 1 year at any LB position, switching him inside would cause him to be a liability and would be a mistake.

you could be right that pace is better suited to play outside, so is a. thomas, but it didn't stop belichick from playing him inside last year.

one thing is for sure, mangini will push for versatility.

Like 95% of my relatives are over there somewhere. What do you do everyday, just chill? Thats what I wanna do.

F the 9-to-5-to-65 world.

I did that for a bit, but the Euro is $1.60. You won't last long unless your family wants to carry you.

I was in Rome a few weeks back and the stuff over there was unbelievably expensive.

You didn't call? Prick. Milan is actually pricier than Rome. Rome and Venice are tourist cities. It's pretty easy to spend way too much. If you go to Rome and want to eat good food without getting hammered too bad you should go across the river to Trastevere. That's where the "authentic" stuff can supposedly be found. You have to dig around not to get butchered in Rome and Venice. It's easier to go cheap in Florence because of all the students.

Wine?

Okay Giants fan. ;)

This is Italy. Everyone drinks wine from six years old on. We don't drink that prissy $75 a bottle imported ****. Stuff your uncle makes in his yard. They sell wine in the supermarket in orange juice containers. I usually spring a euro fifty for a nice bottle though.

Unfortunately besides David Harris, Eric Barton is the best ILB the Jets have, he's played that position for the majority of his career (a. if you could call it a career; and b. I'm not 100% on this one, but I also don't care if I'm wrong about any stat of Barton's), that being said, he obviously is the worst LB of all the corps. I figure B. THomas to get a lot of playing time, I think mangini likes this guy and what he thinks his ceiling is on him, personally I'd rather see Bryan Thomas in there succeeding at the RILB position than Eric Barton just "filling the void" and being unproductive.

For Mangini, versatility is key. I think the only LB who won't play both inside and out next year is Harris. Everyone else gets moved around. When the Jets signed Pace, he made a couple coments: http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/03/04/sports/FBN-Jets-Pace.php

"People are going to say what they want to say, but that's just the way things are now," he said. "I give the Jets credit. They did their research on me and they know how I fit in. It isn't like they just took a chance. ... They really have a vision for me."

"In today's game, the 3-4 is really helping out guys like myself," the 6-foot-4, 270-pound Pace said. "We have an opportunity to rush off the edge, we have the opportunity to drop and give offenses different looks and be afraid of guys like myself."

Just sounds to me like the coaches talked to him about moving him around, and giving him the opportunity to make plays from anywhere on the field. These comments right after he signed just sounded like he was completely sold on what his role will be here.

I expect the same for Bryan Thomas. The coaches should give him every chance to succeed, and that will involve moving him inside on occasion, or maybe moving him up on the line.

I expect a lot of creativity in employing Gholston, too. I think he'll start off as a situation pass rusher from different places on the field, and his role will grow from there. For him, I think it depends on how quickly he catches on to the pro game and the Jets dee in particular. That'll be the difference between him moving around a lot, or just being plugged in on the weak side.

from what i gathered from an article on the official jet website after pace was signed, pace is very interested in expanding his role within the 3-4 and he has the football IQ to pull it off. that said i can definitely see pace moving inside on passing downs leaving thomas and gholston at OLB. i know it sounds crazy, but if you apply a little bit of out-of-the-box logic, you can see the added advantage of pace and harris bringing extreme pressure up the middle while thomas and gholston come from the outside. that provides a speed rush on the edges with a bullrush up the gut. this would be an amazing D line-up if we had 2 shutdown corners, but maybe next year for that. regardless, anyone who really watched the SB knows a lot of the pressure that got to brady came up the middle.

here's how it should look:

1st & 2nd downs: pace, barton, harris, thomas

3rd downs: gholston, pace, harris, thomas

then at some point though, i can see gholston replacing thomas on 1st & 2nd downs with thomas coming in on 3rd downs and barton coming out.

Archived