Linebackers -- What is going to happen

Maxman

this is bothering me. WHO IS PLAYING INSIDE WITH HARRIS? I need an answer. Is Thomas a goner? Or does he stay and play outside with Gholston? If so does Pace move inside? So many questions. I need to know.

What would you do?

There's no way Pace is playing inside. You don't sign a guy to that much coin when he just finally got used to a new position and then ask him to switch. Gholston will likely take over for Thomas, especially on passing downs. Thomas may be able to move inside but I doubt he'll be able to learn it quick enough, given how stupid he is. Barton gets the nod, Thomas loses alot to all his playing time and gets cut by year end.

I think it starts like this:

Pace - Harris - Barton - Thomas

with Gholston coming in on passing downs.

After the bye week (week 5):

Pace - Harris - Barton - Gholston

I think that is as good a plan as any. It gives Gholston some time to learn without too much immediate pressure and it gives Thomas a chance to see if he can regain his second half 2006 form. If he does, then they go with a three way OLB rotation for now. If he doesn't (my money is on that), he goes to the bench and starts his ride out of town.

this is bothering me. WHO IS PLAYING INSIDE WITH HARRIS? I need an answer. Is Thomas a goner? Or does he stay and play outside with Gholston? If so does Pace move inside? So many questions. I need to know.

What would you do?

I've heard Pace will move inside but also play outside. This is a good problem to have. I like the depth of Gholston and Pace with Thomas and Bowens. Inside is a bit of a question next to Harris but they can do much worse than Barton (especially now that they have a big NT). They also brought in a beast named Rodrick Johnson from OKL St. (6'1 245) who believes he will fit in perfectly as 3-4 MLB according to an interview I read on a thread here. Time will tell. They also like to move people around. Maybe Pace is inside on running downs and outside on passing downs. I'm not concerned much about the front 7 except for depth at DE maybe (as long as they perform of course). Don't sweat it yet.

I dont see why we cant play Gholston on the DL.

on some plays he will play in place of Coleman then on others play in place of Thomas.

from All I have heard the inside would be Harris & Barton.

You definately will see him on the D-line in certain situations. 3rd and 10 or worse will be a prime spot to put him in for ellis, maybe sub thomas for coleman, pouha for jenkins. They have the ability to bring a decent speed rush from three players in those situations, i just don't see it happening on anything resembling a short yardage down.

Gholston will be a situational pass rusher for half the year and then come in on first and second downs on a limited basis for the remainder of the year. Figure he plays 40% of the defensive plays this year. At year end, they will sort it out better. The guy who loses out is David Bowens.

There's no way Pace is playing inside. You don't sign a guy to that much coin when he just finally got used to a new position and then ask him to switch. Gholston will likely take over for Thomas, especially on passing downs. Thomas may be able to move inside but I doubt he'll be able to learn it quick enough, given how stupid he is. Barton gets the nod, Thomas loses alot to all his playing time and gets cut by year end.

Pace will play inside and outside just as A. Thomas does for New England. They like to move people around on D and I'm sure that's not gonna change. I would guess more outside though.

Pace will play inside and outside just as A. Thomas does for New England. They like to move people around on D and I'm sure that's not gonna change. I would guess more outside though.

This is what I read after we picked up Pace. In the words of cimini he's suppose to be a "poor man's" Adalius Thomas even though we're paying him more :-s.

If they could get Thomas and Pace to be interchangeable inside and out with Gholston on the edge this could be a defensive coordinator's nightmare to prepare for. On the otherhand, I'm not inclined to think Thomas could pull it off since they would have tried it already with him.

Gholston should play from day 1.

It should look like this:

OLB Gholston

OLB Pace

ILB Harris

ILB Barton

Towards the end of the season last year there were a lot of players cycling in and out. I expect Thomas to be one of those guys that comes in to play a down on the outside on every series, mixing it up and keeping guys fresh.

i agree i think that'll happen. just because they want gholston to rush only early in the season, so there is no pressure on him. a bye week is a wonderful thing. especially with mangini

We signed Pace before we knew that we would get Gholston in the draft. So I'm thinking that they were originally OK with going with Pace - Barton - Harris - Thomas. Now with Gholston, I think he will crack the starting lineup if not week one, certainly by week four. Pace will most likely go inside and we will be Gholston - Pace - Harris - Thomas, with Barton the odd man out.

This is what I read after we picked up Pace. In the words of cimini he's suppose to be a "poor man's" Adalius Thomas even though we're paying him more :-s.

If they could get Thomas and Pace to be interchangeable inside and out with Gholston on the edge this could be a defensive coordinator's nightmare to prepare for. On the otherhand, I'm not inclined to think Thomas could pull it off since they would have tried it already with him.

Poor man's A Thomas, that's funny considering Thomas isn't really all that. He got alot of hype since he was really the best of a very weak FA LB pool AND because he went to the Pats. He's above average, don't get me wrong, but he's no Shawn Merriman by any stretch. He was the 3rd best LB on his former team. Pace has the ability to play well if he stays outside, where he's comfortable. While I agree that Mangini moves LB's around he NEVER moved Hobson inside. I don't think Pace will be playing inside at all. He's only had 1 year at any LB position, switching him inside would cause him to be a liability and would be a mistake.

We signed Pace before we knew that we would get Gholston in the draft. So I'm thinking that they were originally OK with going with Pace - Barton - Harris - Thomas. Now with Gholston, I think he will crack the starting lineup if not week one, certainly by week four. Pace will most likely go inside and we will be Gholston - Pace - Harris - Thomas, with Barton the odd man out.

Barton inside with Gholston and Pace outside is 100 times better than Pace inside and Thomas and Gholston outside. Bryan Thomas has the intelligence of a rusty hammer. It showed last year and his rookie season and I suspect Mangini has grown tired of it. I can imagine it frustrates the hell out of Mangini since Thomas has the physical ability to play at the top level of the NFL OLB's, but he has a brain suited to work a stock room of Walmart.

Barton inside with Gholston and Pace outside is 100 times better than Pace inside and Thomas and Gholston outside. Bryan Thomas has the intelligence of a rusty hammer. It showed last year and his rookie season and I suspect Mangini has grown tired of it. I can imagine it frustrates the hell out of Mangini since Thomas has the physical ability to play at the top level of the NFL OLB's, but he has a brain suited to work a stock room of Walmart.

Now that is funny! I always thought he was lazy, not stupid. Last year he admitted that he didn't work hard after his big payday. Maybe he is lazy and stupid.

What would you do?

Iread somewhere that Pace played OLB over right tackle in Arizona (thats where BT been playning for 2 years)

but i dont really think it matters I think BT, Pace, Bowens, and Gholsten will be OLB. Bowens and Golston mostly on weakside and BT and Pace will mostly play strong side

Barton will start ILB but someone will go in for him in different packages who knows

I'm sure this is the plan, for now at least.

As the season goes on, I suspect you will see a lot of jumping around. Like lining pace up inside on passing downs, and then sending him after the QB from the inside.

Don't forget they also have Bowens, who did a real nice job at the end of the season getting after the QB.

The options ore limitless

So in other words they are going to do the muddle huddle on defense this year. The thing where everyone stands around in the middle and take off right before the snap.

School yard football. Well at least Mangini and Sutton have some options this year. Can you imagine the converstation they were having this time last year? Oh my. That was a unique situation where they didn't want Vilma who was their best linebacker at the beginning of the year.

I have a weird feeling we may see Thomas playing some inside this year

He is the best guy we have against the run

The only thing thomas is best at is checking his bank accounts. The dude is terrible in every aspect of the game. He has no drive, no will to win, is not a team player, is terrible at pass rushing, and even worse at run defending. He's not the least talented player on this team but he is one of the worst players on this team. His lack of motivation is probably a cancer in the locker room, and as boozer said he's as dumb a player as you will ever come across.

I hate Bryan Thomas. I cannot wait for the day that he is cut. Until then, let Bowens get some PT.

first off injurys can and will happen, so forget about who is gonna get benched or cut. The more options the better.

Barton and Pace will play inside.

Also Bryan thomas will neither lose playing time nor get cut.

The Jets will get the 4 best LB on the field and that would mean:

gholston - Pace - Harris - thomas

who is gonna blitz? all of em? one of em? it's a scary lineup and instead of Jets fans worrying about value for dollar or finally cutting Bryan Thomas we should be looking forward to the coming season.

Its an easy answer Max. There are only two choices.

Choice #1.

OLB - Pace / Gholston

ILB - Harris / Barton

Thomas becomes the back-up and will come in on obvious passing situations and 3rd downs along with Gholston and Pace to give the Jets three rushers that could all be coming for the Quarterback. Pace would move inside, Barton to the bench.

or

Choice #2.

OLB - Thomas / Gholston

ILB - Harris / Pace

Mangini & Sutton opt to go with three pass rushers on the field at all times maknig it more confusing for the opposing offense to see whose coming on all downs, not jurst 3rd down.

Barton inside with Gholston and Pace outside is 100 times better than Pace inside and Thomas and Gholston outside..

100 times? really? that's alot of times.

are you using little kid math? like when I ask my 4 year old cousin if they want a dollar or 5 pennies they take the pennies?

I was looking at NewyorkJets.com the other day and watched the Joey Clinkscales talk on

Linebackers and that Thomas could play inside?

Just imagine a defence quick switch

Ellis Jenkins Coleman

Pace Harris Thomas Gholston

Then you shift

Gholston Ellis Jenkins Colman

Pace Harris Thomas

A quick a switch to a 4-3 without having to change personal

Any way I think Thomas could play ILB :)

first off injurys can and will happen, so forget about who is gonna get benched or cut. The more options the better.

Barton and Pace will play inside.

Also Bryan thomas will neither lose playing time nor get cut.

The Jets will get the 4 best LB on the field and that would mean:

gholston - Pace - Harris - thomas

who is gonna blitz? all of em? one of em? it's a scary lineup and instead of Jets fans worrying about value for dollar or finally cutting Bryan Thomas we should be looking forward to the coming season.

Exactly. It is much better to have too many options than not enough. Collectively, no matter who starts, LB will be solid for the Jets.

This is more of a response to a lot of the previous posts.

1. Unfortunately besides David Harris, Eric Barton is the best ILB the Jets have, he's played that position for the majority of his career (a. if you could call it a career; and b. I'm not 100% on this one, but I also don't care if I'm wrong about any stat of Barton's), that being said, he obviously is the worst LB of all the corps. I figure B. THomas to get a lot of playing time, I think mangini likes this guy and what he thinks his ceiling is on him, personally I'd rather see Bryan Thomas in there succeeding at the RILB position than Eric Barton just "filling the void" and being unproductive. I think this will be a serious position of weakness as David Harris definitely (more than) suffices, but once teams center their "Run through the tackle" running game, I could see announcers constantly picking on the Right Side of that Defense. Whether or not Barton or Thomas play efficiently and/or over achieve, depends on Kris Jenkins and Kenyon Coleman. I genuinely think that if Jenkins and Coleman step up big this year for us, the RILB position can be overlooked as not an immediate need for upgrade. But I mean the following questions are definitely prevalent regarding this Jets Defense.

1. Vernon Gholston Beast or Bust (I take the former for sure!!!!!!!...he eats babies before gametime for god's sake)

2. 2nd CB - Justin Miller/Andre Woolfolk/David Barrett/Dwight Lowery - what will they bring, I think Justin Mill will over exceed doubters' expectations. I also think Lowery will get PT with Elam...which brings me to my next point.

3. FS - Now, Elam is a crowd favorite, but I simply do not see Abram Elam our ANSWER for the FS Position. I think Lowery is a hell of a ballhawk, but I don't know if he's physical enough yet to be the ANSWER. I foresee Elam hitting hard, but also missing big.

4. RILB - Just platoon Thomas and Barton (Preferably more PT for Thomas) and sit put to Cushing/Mauluga/Laurinaitis are in the draft next year [i AM NOT PREDICTING...I'M JUST SAYING]

I think if we have only 2 out of the 4 above referenced points as weakpoints, we are a 10-6 team, without even considering what the offense can do. I think this defense will step up, and the real starters will show why they are starting, and the weakspots will get exploited. But I believe in this 3-4 Jets D....so should you.

100 times? really? that's alot of times.

are you using little kid math? like when I ask my 4 year old cousin if they want a dollar or 5 pennies they take the pennies?

Trust me, if Bryan Thomas didn't have an agent he'd be taking the pennies. Look, I agree Bryan Thomas has the physical ability to be elite, unfortunately his pea sized brain doesn't allow him to capitalize on that talent. Barton inside with Pace and Gholston outside is a hell of alot better than having Thomas in at all.

Archived