Sports worst Franchises: Bruins worst NHL Franchise

SouthernJet

Top 10: Worst franchises in pro sports

by DAVE GOLOKHOV, Askmen.com

Updated: May 7, 2008, 12:27 PM EST 210 comments

Every fan wants to cheer for a team that has the championship history of the New England Patriots, New York Yankees or Detroit Red Wings. Unfortunately, many get stuck with a long string of bad luck, like the Chicago Cubs; thrifty ownership, like the now-defunct Montreal Expos; or a dim-witted front office that is unable to make logical personnel decisions, like the current New York Knicks.

Here is a list of the top 10 worst sports franchises currently in operation.

10. Los Angeles Clippers

8097966_36_2.jpgGo ahead and clap, Donald Sterling. Your Clippers used to be a lot higher on this list. (Noah Graham / Getty Images)

Donald Sterling, owner of the Los Angeles Clippers, is a man of many adjectives. We'll start with thrifty. Not only does he have a multi-page resume of skimping on talent, but he also once asked head coach Paul Silas to film the players himself to cut video expenses. Most of the Clippers' struggles can be traced to Sterling. Their .365 franchise winning percentage is the third-worst in the NBA and the Clippers have only had two winning seasons since Sterling bought the team in 1981.

Puzzling personnel plays: Drafting Michael Olowokandi, Lamond Murray, Darius Miles, Melvin Ely and failing to re-sign Lamar Odom

Remember ... 1986-87: The Clippers posted one of the ugliest NBA seasons in 1986-87 when they finished 12-70, which was the second-lowest winning record in NBA history. All-Star Norm Nixon missed the entire season after being injured in a celebrity softball game. His team started the season 3-3, but went on a 9-67 run to make them one of the worst sports franchises.

9. Vancouver/Memphis Grizzlies

The Vancouver Grizzlies were embarrassing in Canada and they haven't been much better since the move to Memphis. Vancouver compiled 56 wins throughout its first four seasons

The clippers have been known for a stingy organization, but it doesn't help when your allworld forward elton brand misses entire seasons. Just the fact that they were made relevant for a couple years has impressed me, but i do agree i hate cheap owners.

As for the hawks...well, you can definately criticise them for passing up paul and deron williams, but marvin williams has turned into a great player in his own right. Josh Smith is an absolute stud and Josh Childress is the best 6th man in the nba behind ginoblli. They have such an incredibly athletic team and are extremely young with tons of upside. The writer failed to mention that the aqcuisition of Joe JOhnson was a brilliant move, but i do get where he's coming from, because they have been rather pathetic up until now. I look forward to seeing the hawks become perennial contenders in the east as long as they hold onto their youth.

I agree with the Pirates placement. Cheap cheap ownership, bad coaching decisions, bad manager hires, and not really much fan support even if they do compete. The Steelers and Pens own the 'Burgh.

why are they even called the pirates? it's not like they are even on a coast or anything. You'd think it would have something to do with the city they came from...ya know...like Utah Jazz :biggrin: (yes i know they started in New Orleans)

Relieved that the Jets didn't make it! They would probably be in the top 20 though. Then again, so would the Bills. My buddy who is a Bills fan always teases me about when was the last time the Jets made the superbowl, to which I respond when was the last time the Bills WON the superbowl? And now, when was the last time they even made the playoffs? LOL

How are Dolan and the Knicks not on this list ?

Because up until a few years ago the organization was not ****. All of these 10 have one thing in common: Long time failures and long time horrible results. Yes the Bruins used to be a storied franchise that won cups and made the playoffs... decades ago. Everyone else? Hawks? Clippers? Cardinals? Pirates? If they won, it was years ago and in some cases, like the Cardinals, they've never won.

The Steelers and Pens own the 'Burgh.

Where where the Pens fans before Crosby arrived? Wasn't there talk of them moving?

Pittsburgh is a Steeler town period.

BTW: Jeremy Jacobs can go to hell!

why are they even called the pirates? it's not like they are even on a coast or anything. You'd think it would have something to do with the city they came from...ya know...like Utah Jazz :biggrin: (yes i know they started in New Orleans)

In 1890 the Alleghenies were renamed the Pittsburgh Pirates after "pirating" second baseman Louis Bierbauer away from the Philadelphia Athletics American Association team.

http://pittsburgh.about.com/od/pirates/a/history.htm

Because up until a few years ago the organization was not ****. All of these 10 have one thing in common: Long time failures and long time horrible results. Yes the Bruins used to be a storied franchise that won cups and made the playoffs... decades ago. Everyone else? Hawks? Clippers? Cardinals? Pirates? If they won, it was years ago and in some cases, like the Cardinals, they've never won.

Here is the thing though.

The Knicks have been abysmal both on and off the court really since Checketts left. The Twins have been to the playoffs a few times this decade which is more than I can say for the Knicks.

Basically the Knicks have gone from a storied franchise to a laughingstock. What makes it worse is that alot of those franchises (Pirates, Cardinals, Bruins, etc) they don't spend the money. The Knicks not only spend the money they spend it terribly.

You could very easily say that in the past 8-10 years the Knicks have been top three in worst run franchises behind maybe the Pirates.

I'm surprised the Bruins made that list. If you make the playoffs 30 years in a row I have a hard time calling you the worst-run franchise in the NFL. This writer most likely has a vendetta.

If anything the Chiacago Blackhawks are a worse organization. I heard their owner is POS who openly doesn't care about winning.

I'm surprised the Bruins made that list. If you make the playoffs 30 years in a row I have a hard time calling you the worst-run franchise in the NFL. This writer most likely has a vendetta.

If anything the Chiacago Blackhawks are a worse organization. I heard their owner is POS who openly doesn't care about winning.

The Bruins deserve to be be on that list. Jeremy Jacobs has killed that franchise by being a money grubbing bastard.

Think Peter Angelos and Charles Dolan.

Archived