Hank Steinbrenner: Yankees must play smarter

JetNation

Hank Steinbrenner expects his struggling New York Yankees to focus and turn around their season.mlb_news?i=xPUTFy</img>

mlb_news?i=1Aw4QH</img> mlb_news?i=HHejoh</img> mlb_news?i=gfqmgh</img> mlb_news?i=f0lXKH</img>

More...

Wouldn't a statement of a team needing to play "smarter and harder" be a direct indictment of the Manager?

Would this mean that he is backing up from his Spring Training comment of Girardi projecting to be one of the best managers in the game ever?

Wouldn't a statement of a team needing to play "smarter and harder" be a direct indictment of the Manager?

Would this mean that he is backing up from his Spring Training comment of Girardi projecting to be one of the best managers in the game ever?

Can Hank just let his manager manage and his players play?

As a Sox fan he provides comic relief, but if I was a Yankees fan I would be ticked that he keeps opening his trap.

The Yankees stink, point blank. Our pitching is weak and our offense is sporadic. I dont know what it is, maybe its Joe Girardi. Im not sold on him yet. We couldve had Johan Santana, but they decided to keep the two BUMS, yes BUMS, Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy. How awesome of a decision that turned out to be. :confused:

The Yankees stink, point blank. Our pitching is weak and our offense is sporadic. I dont know what it is, maybe its Joe Girardi. Im not sold on him yet. We couldve had Johan Santana, but they decided to keep the two BUMS, yes BUMS, Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy. How awesome of a decision that turned out to be. :confused:

The Yankees have had a lot of injuries and it's only mid-May. They will be fine.

Can we all agree that Hank needs to STFU?

As a Sox fan he provides comic relief, but if I was a Yankees fan I would be ticked that he keeps opening his trap.

I am not that pissed at Hank, every time that he opens his mouth and criticizes the Yankees, we win the next day. I could only hope he does the same tonight... lol

He kinda sounds like his old man did in his earlier years.

I think Hank is a lot more calculated than people give him credit for. Initially I thought he was insane. Now I think he is just slightly crazy. But a calculated crazy.

Can't compare him to Ozzie imo because Ozzie is pretty cruel when he speaks and far less politically correct.

They don't need to play harder.

They need to hit better.

Talk about some bad chemistry. I don't think I have seen teams go into hitting funks the way these Yankees teams have done the past couple of years.

I know they are missing A-Rod and Posada but I mean c'mon. You still have Jeter, Abreu, Damon, Matsui and Cano and they can't get out of their own way at times when things are not going well.

The Yanks will be fine. It seems like every year now they get out of the gates slow and then pick up steam as the weather warms up.

They need to hit better.

Talk about some bad chemistry. I don't think I have seen teams go into hitting funks the way these Yankees teams have done the past couple of years.

I know they are missing A-Rod and Posada but I mean c'mon. You still have Jeter, Abreu, Damon, Matsui and Cano and they can't get out of their own way at times when things are not going well.

The Yanks will be fine. It seems like every year now they get out of the gates slow and then pick up steam as the weather warms up.

The peaks and valleys of this team at the plate are why they dont win in the playoffs. Too many feast or famine hitters in this lineup. It's not "luck" that this team collectively cant buy a hit in the playoffs. They're neutralized by good pitching.

Thought this was a pretty fair take:

They have a lineup of aging veterans, many of whom appear to be streaky hitters, and some of whom appear to be on the downside of their career. This is a lineup that has the potential on any given day to mash, or to be completely shut down. They have shown a disturbing penchant to be handily neutralized by good pitching. They also tend to get extremely tight in clutch spots. They appear inept at manufacturing runs, e.g. by moving runners up, making productive outs. How many times do the Yankees put men on with zero or one out, and not only fail to score, but fail even to move the runners into scoring position?

Yes.

I hope so.

I want Hank to dig out his dad's old playbook from the 70s, fire Girardi and install Tony Pena.

Yes.

I hope so.

I want Hank to dig out his dad's old playbook from the 70s, fire Girardi and install Tony Pena.

LOL. That would be great. For the NY Post and their back page headlines. For the rest of us, not so much.

The peaks and valleys of this team at the plate are why they dont win in the playoffs. Too many feast or famine hitters in this lineup. It's not "luck" that this team collectively cant buy a hit in the playoffs. They're neutralized by good pitching.

Thought this was a pretty fair take:

Based on what we have seen the past 7 years you can't argue that. Even going back to the 01 World Series or even the 01 ALCS you were seeing this.

Face it, Max. Girardi is Herman Edwards. All show. No go.

That is brutal. At worst the jury is still out on Girardi. He got this team in shape so that is a plus. And they are around .500 without two hall of famers in their lineup. I think their start this year is actually better than last years. Not bad with the injuries they have had.

They have to do better. I believe they will. They need to hit.

They need to hit better.

Abreu is an issue, he's just too streaky. He gets so cold he cant hit anything sometimes, and it kills the lineup. Ditto Damon and Giambi. Jete is the only really consistent week to week hitter that we have. The rest all go through several big slumps over the season, Jeter has maybe 1 slump every year thats it. The red sox have like 3 very consistent guys (Manny, Youk, lil b*tch 2B).

We need to add a legit 1st baseman bat too, no more of this Ensberg/Giambi platoon BS. We arent gonna win jack if we dont get more production from 1B.

Wait, does "in shape" also equate to more injuries?

They had more last year.

Bob is crazy. If he knew anything about the game, he'd know Girardi has done a good job so far. His game decisiions have been good and the pitching staff has been much better under him and Eiland. Girardi advocates pitching inside, Torre hated it. It has already given new life to Mussina, who no longer just sits on the outer half all game getting continually pounded. Not to mention Wang has taken the next step and Farnsworth is dealing.

They had more last year.

Bob is crazy. If he knew anything about the game, he'd know Girardi has done a good job so far. His game decisiions have been good and the pitching staff has been much better under him and Eiland. Girardi advocates pitching inside, Torre hated it. It has already given new life to Mussina, who no longer just sits on the outer half all game getting continually pounded. Not to mention Wang has taken the next step and Farnsworth is dealing.

Wouldn't that culpability be more on Guidry than Torre?

Where did Joe say he hated pitching inside?

Archived