Mangini rolls the Dice

flgreen

Home > The Way We Hear It

~ ~ ~ NY Jets

May 29, 2008

Mangini rolling the dice with Jets' defensive personnel

Although his meticulously measured comments and overall persona fit squarely into the conservative category, Jets head coach Eric Mangini appears to be gambling with his defensive personnel, outfitting the unit with great athletes who come with questions. The acquisitions of NT Kris Jenkins and OLB Calvin Pace served as the first sign, as each is immensely talented but Jenkins comes equipped with weight and attitude concerns, and Pace has only one productive season to his credit. The second sign came with the first-round drafting of OLB Vernon Gholston, a college defensive end whose inspiring measurables and spurts of dominance were counterbalanced by concerns about inconsistency and the need to adapt to a new position. Most recently, Mangini has experimented with Justin Miller as the starting cornerback opposite Darrelle Revis in OTAs. Because of a severe knee injury that kept him shelved for the majority of 2007 and spotty play in his first two pro seasons of '05 and '06, Miller was largely an afterthought entering the offseason program. But as one of the fastest and most explosive players on the team, Miller has the physical tools that none of the corners contending for the open CB spot can match.

Yeah the Miller part is incorrect. According to Mangini he was improving on the defensive side of the ball during last years OTA's and Training Camp and started Week 1 and Week 2. He is going to be the starting Cornerback opposite Darrelle once again and hopefully this time he remains healthy and shows that he can make a positive impact on Defense as well as Special Teams.

As for gambling on players with high risk, high reward, that is the way you have to go. You can't sit there and draft and play 53 Rhodes Scholars who you know their limitations (Chad Pennington). You need to go out there and put people out there who are going to either sink or swim. Its called balls and called wanting to a legitimate chance to win if the players succeed. Theres a coach not afraid of losing his job, thats for sure.

To catch the Patriots, the 4-12 Jets need to make a quantum leap. To make a quantum leap, you have to think outside of the box and take chances.

Or ...

We could have stayed with DRob, Hobson, Thomas and Barrett and felt very secure in knowing exactly what we have.

what a retarded article.

Jenkins' weight issues are in order.

Pace's arrival came after a bidding-war with a divisional rival/talent guru.

Gholston was the best player on the board at #6.

Miller is Miller.

Pace is the one offseason move that concerns me. Just hope they didn't get caught up in a bidding war with the Tuna. Not saying he is going to be a bust, just concerned

Pace is the one offseason move that concerns me. Just hope they didn't get caught up in a bidding war with the Tuna. Not saying he is going to be a bust, just concerned

I agree. He better be real good. I liked getting him. I think he was very good last year and can get even better. It was just an awful lot of money for what he has done so far. But I guess you can say the same thing about high first round picks.

Yeah the Miller part is incorrect. According to Mangini he was improving on the defensive side of the ball during last years OTA's and Training Camp and started Week 1 and Week 2. He is going to be the starting Cornerback opposite Darrelle once again and hopefully this time he remains healthy and shows that he can make a positive impact on Defense as well as Special Teams.

As for gambling on players with high risk, high reward, that is the way you have to go. You can't sit there and draft and play 53 Rhodes Scholars who you know their limitations (Chad Pennington). You need to go out there and put people out there who are going to either sink or swim. Its called balls and called wanting to a legitimate chance to win if the players succeed. Theres a coach not afraid of losing his job, thats for sure.

As far as not being afraid of losing his job, i think you nailed it.

Woody says his job is secure for next year but if we go 4-12 again, the pressure

will be to great for him to continue. Not only that it will be difficult for him to get

another head coaching job again. So far I like what he and Mr. T. have done

to change things around.

As far as having balls, the biggest decision he has to make is who he picks as the

QB. He will live or die with that decision.

That's actually a common misconception and I'm not sure how it got started. I thought that originally, but I looked it up and he was actually a Rhodes Scholar finalist. I think he had something like a 3.7 gpa in journalism, which is still impressive. But, and i could be wrong, the only thing you need to do in order to be considered a rhodes scholar potential is have someone at your school submit your name. While still impressive, penny's no bill clinton.

This defense has to stop the run this year. The 3-4 is supposed to be all about stopping the run, and the Jets have been terrible in both of Mangini's first two season in that regard. Kerry Jenkins -or a similarly sized NT- was an absolute necessity. All of those guys have weight issues. The Jets tied Jenkins money to his weight. That should keep it under control. I'm not as interested in sacks from Pace as I am in tackles for a loss in the running game. There's no need for a pass rush if the other team never has to pass. I think people expecting a massive pass rush from Pace are going to be disappointed. But if he's part of a unit that gets the Jets rushing defense out of the league's cellar into respectablity, he'll be worth it.

Be nice if the offense does it's part and puts some points on the board, too. How long has it been since the Jets' offense put pressure on the other team to score?

Didn't Miller have time as CB in the Pro Bowl a year ago? Yeah I know he didn't go in as a corner, but still to be put in that position means you're recognized as having the athletic ability and the potential to be on the field among the top players in the league. You can coach guys up, but you can't coach athletic ability.

This defense has to stop the run this year. The 3-4 is supposed to be all about stopping the run, and the Jets have been terrible in both of Mangini's first two season in that regard. Kerry Jenkins -or a similarly sized NT- was an absolute necessity. All of those guys have weight issues. The Jets tied Jenkins money to his weight. That should keep it under control. I'm not as interested in sacks from Pace as I am in tackles for a loss in the running game. There's no need for a pass rush if the other team never has to pass. I think people expecting a massive pass rush from Pace are going to be disappointed. But if he's part of a unit that gets the Jets rushing defense out of the league's cellar into respectablity, he'll be worth it.

Be nice if the offense does it's part and puts some points on the board, too. How long has it been since the Jets' offense put pressure on the other team to score?

Everything about this post makes me feel like an unsuspecting victim who sat on a whoopee cushion. I love those things. :P

Whaddup, slats.

Lets not forget the surrounding circumstances. Pace was the only OLB on the market at the time, Hobson is a piece of crap, and Gholston was still available to the five teams drafting in front of us.

Like Slats said, Pace isn't going to overwhelm anyone with his pass-rush.... he's going to be a good zone-defender and tackle everything that comes his way, similar to Thomas (hopefully). As long as we can contain the run on the outside, I think we'll be in good shape.

Didn't Miller have time as CB in the Pro Bowl a year ago? Yeah I know he didn't go in as a corner, but still to be put in that position means you're recognized as having the athletic ability and the potential to be on the field among the top players in the league. You can coach guys up, but you can't coach athletic ability.

He did and was absolutely roasted deep by Anquan Boldin (Who is mainly a possesion WR). It was ugly.

Anquan Boldin mainly a possession receiver? Are you on drugs? The guy is fast as hell.

Also, why would someone talk about his Pro Bowl apperance at Cornerback? The guy up until the first week of 2007 barely even started a game at Corner and was thrown in against the top four / five receivers of the NFC. Yeah, he should've shut them all down. :eek:

Anquan Boldin mainly a possession receiver? Are you on drugs? The guy is fast as hell.

Also, why would someone talk about his Pro Bowl apperance at Cornerback? The guy up until the first week of 2007 barely even started a game at Corner and was thrown in against the top four / five receivers of the NFC. Yeah, he should've shut them all down. :eek:

THANK YOU ! I was like WTF? Thought I was the only one who questioned this. :)

He runs a 4.71 40 and is a possesion WR who is just an absolute beast before and after the catch. He's quick and amazingly powerful but he is not fast in terms of straight line speed.

He runs a 4.71 40 and is a possesion WR who is just an absolute beast before and after the catch. He's quick and amazingly powerful but he is not fast in terms of straight line speed.

Christ another 40 time lover. Dude, 40 times mean jack **** except for these pencil necked dweebs who fall in love with it during Combines. I don't care what a guy does on a 40 yard straight line. On the Football field, football speed, Anquan Boldin is fast and gets away from defenders with both his strength and speed. He has Football speed and thats all that matters. He is not a possession receiver. Laveranues Coles is a possession receiver. He is a gamebreaker. Possession receivers have more than one fluke Pro Bowl year.

Christ another 40 time lover. Dude, 40 times mean jack **** except for these pencil necked dweebs who fall in love with it during Combines. I don't care what a guy does on a 40 yard straight line. On the Football field, football speed, Anquan Boldin is fast and gets away from defenders with both his strength and speed. He has Football speed and thats all that matters. He is not a possession receiver. Laveranues Coles is a possession receiver. He is a gamebreaker. Possession receivers have more than one fluke Pro Bowl year.

I'm not basing it all on a 40 yard dash, believe me.

aFYKtScnsW0

There is a highlight video of Boldin. Watch how he is always caught in the open field, he just has so much power that most DB's can't take him down. He's an amazing player and I'm a huge fan of his but he's not a player who will burn a defense over the top with a long ball regularly. He will take short passes and turn them into huge gains, that's his game.

Just because he's a posession WR doesn't mean he's not an elite WR, he doesn't have to burn defenses with speed because he's so great at what he can do well.

When he does catch a deep ball it's due to his size, see how the CB is always close to him.

Archived