Simple solution for C Baker

LionelRichie

baker is an avg player at best and yet he has the ability to put a big cloud over training camp this year - a distraction the jets do not need. if baker had kept his mouth shut, tannenbaum could have quietly re-done his contract. at this point, there is really no way they can redo the deal.

here is a simple solution where everyone wins:

the jets let baker out of his contract for the remaining 2 seasons BUT baker needs to repay his signing bonus and the $ that was advanced to him last season. i come up with $1.8M and he gets his freedom. that seems fair to me.

Since he feels there is such a huge market, how about letting him negotiate with all the other teams that want to trade for him? :)

i'd like to see him put some skin in the game without having a chance to negotiate with anyone. real simple, baker puts up $1.8M and gets the chance to sign with anyone he wants. then he can find out exactly what the market is for a mediocre tight end.

i'd like to see him put some skin in the game without having a chance to negotiate with anyone. real simple, baker puts up $1.8M and gets the chance to sign with anyone he wants. then he can find out exactly what the market is for a mediocre tight end.

wait don't say that, herm might be listening and try to get his TE back, for all we know he'll offer him a 7 year 35 million dollar contract.

herm = genius

:sarc:

the only think average about Baker is his speed. He has awsome hands,just thought i'd mention that.

He does not just have average speed. He is not athletic, has trouble getting off the LOS, does not "sell" his route running fakes well, does not adjust to the ball in the air well. Brad Smith happens to have good hands and he is fast. He is still not much of a receiver. There is a lot more to being a top receiver than hands and speed. Baker is mediocre.

What?!

Baker is being described as a pathetic excuse for a TE when that isn't the case. He makes incredible grabs and is a big-body that can help out on OL. That particular combination of talent isn't commonplace in today's NFL. You either have blocking-TEs or recieving TEs. He's the best we have of both worlds, and that versatility adds value to the gameplan and playbook.

While he might not be an "elite" TE, he is still "very good", and if he is on this team he'll be a starter in September.

If you don't like his professional approach or attitude, fine, don't invite him to your company Christmas party... But he is a good football player who makes plays. I'll be happy to see him on the field in green and white.

What?!

Baker is being described as a pathetic excuse for a TE when that isn't the case. He makes incredible grabs and is a big-body that can help out on OL. That particular combination of talent isn't commonplace in today's NFL. You either have blocking-TEs or recieving TEs. He's the best we have of both worlds, and that versatility adds value to the gameplan and playbook.

While he might not be an "elite" TE, he is still "very good", and if he is on this team he'll be a starter in September.

If you don't like his professional approach or attitude, fine, don't invite him to your company Christmas party... But he is a good football player who makes plays. I'll be happy to see him on the field in green and white.

I don't know about that. Ranked 21st by ESPN with no fantasy value and 26th by Walters. Not sure if I would call him a "Very Good football player.

newbanner.jpg

Fantasy Football - Tight End Rankings

Other Fantasy Rankings

Top 150 Players

Quarterbacks

Running Backs

Wide Receivers

Kickers

Defenses

1. Antonio Gates, Chargers
    ESPN Positional Ranking: 1.
    Antonio Gates' receptions, yards and touchdowns decreased a bit in 2006 because he was playing with a rookie quarterback. He'll bounce back this season.
    Projected Stats: 1,050 receiving yards. 11 TDs. </B>
    Projected Fantasy Points: 171
    Player Value: 82

2. Chris Cooley, Redskins
    ESPN Positional Ranking: 6.
    Chris Cooley's numbers actually increased with Jason Campbell under center. A good sign if you're planning on taking the Utah State alumnus.
    Projected Stats: 850 receiving yards. 6 TDs. </B>
    Projected Fantasy Points: 121
    Player Value: 32

3. Jeremy Shockey, Giants
    ESPN Positional Ranking: 3.
    One of the top tight ends in the NFL. Eli Manning may throw to him more often in the wake of Tiki Barber's retirement.
    Projected Stats: 750 receiving yards. 7 TDs. </B>
    Projected Fantasy Points: 117
    Player Value: 28

4. Todd Heap, Ravens
    ESPN Positional Ranking: 5.
    Brilliant. Consistent. Reliable. What more could you ask for?
    Projected Stats: 800 receiving yards. 6 TDs. </B>
    Projected Fantasy Points: 116
    Player Value: 27

5. Tony Gonzalez, Chiefs
    ESPN Positional Ranking: 2.
    Tony Gonzalez caught 102 passes for 1,258 yards in 2004. Since then, he's had a pair of 900-yard campaigns, each with about 75 receptions. Now in his 11th season, Gonzalez isn't the player he used to be, but he's still one of the top tight ends in the NFL.
    Projected Stats: 925 receiving yards. 4 TDs. </B>

6. Alge Crumpler, Falcons
    ESPN Positional Ranking: 4.
    Should be one of the first tight ends taken in your fantasy league.
    Projected Stats: 800 receiving yards. 6 TDs. </B>

Buy NFL, College Football and Super Bowl Tickets at TicketCity.com!

7. Tony Scheffler, Broncos (Sleeper) ESPN Positional Ranking: 17.
    Sleeper. You could tell Jay Cutler and Scheffler developed a rapport last preseason. Scheffler caught just five passes with Jake Plummer at the helm. With Cutler? How about 12 receptions, 219 yards and four scores in just five contests? That translates to 700 yards and 12 touchdowns over a 16-game slate. Don't worry about Daniel Graham's presence - he's a blocking tight end, and won't factor much into the aerial attack.
    Projected Stats: 650 receiving yards. 8 TDs. </B>
    Projected Fantasy Points: 113
    Player Value: 24

8. Jason Witten, Cowboys
    ESPN Positional Ranking: 11.
    Jason Witten had 754 yards but only one touchdown. He should be able to bounce back in 2007.
    Projected Stats: 800 receiving yards. 5 TDs. </B>
    Projected Fantasy Points: 110
    Player Value: 21

9. Kellen Winslow Jr., Browns
    ESPN Positional Ranking: 7.
    Kellen Winslow Jr. had an exceptional season, notching 89 receptions for 875 yards and three touchdowns. What's remarkable is that he did so with Charlie Frye throwing him the ball.
    Projected Stats: 800 receiving yards. 4 TDs. </B>
    Projected Fantasy Points: 104
    Player Value: 15

10. Vernon Davis, 49ers
    ESPN Positional Ranking: 8.
    I talked about the type of production Vernon Davis displayed the final four weeks of his rookie campaign. Spread those figures out for an entire 16-game campaign, and you get 784 yards and eight touchdowns. That's pretty realistic.
    Projected Stats: 650 receiving yards. 6 TDs. </B>
    Projected Fantasy Points: 101
    Player Value: 12

11. Ben Watson, Patriots
    ESPN Positional Ranking: 10.
    Ben Watson experienced a surge in yardage (643) but only scored thrice in 2006. A second-tier tight end.
    Projected Stats: 700 receiving yards. 4 TDs. </B>
    Projected Fantasy Points: 94
    Player Value: 5

12. L.J. Smith, Eagles
    ESPN Positional Ranking: 9.
    A solid tight end in fantasy football, unless your league deducts points for dropped passes.
    Projected Stats: 650 receiving yards. 4 TDs. </B>
    Projected Fantasy Points: 89
    Player Value: 0

13. Heath Miller, Steelers
    ESPN Positional Ranking: 13.
    Heath Miller's numbers dropped, but maybe that was in connection to all of Ben Roethlisberger's complications. If so, look for him to rebound in 2007.
    Projected Stats: 475 receiving yards. 6 TDs. </B>
    Projected Fantasy Points: 83
    Player Value: -6

14. Dallas Clark, Colts
    ESPN Positional Ranking: 15.
    Dallas Clark is a household name although he has yet to register more than 500 receiving yards in a single season. He had 367 last year, but missed four games with an injury. He may hit 500 in 2007, but he's still overrated in terms of fantasy football.
    Projected Stats: 510 receiving yards. 5 TDs. </B>
    Projected Fantasy Points: 81
    Player Value: -8

15. Alex Smith, Buccaneers (Sleeper)
    ESPN Positional Ranking: 33.
    After a promising rookie campaign, Alex Smith struggled a bit in 2006, catching only 35 passes for 250 yards. Don't forget that Bruce Gradkowski was at quarterback.
    Projected Stats: 500 receiving yards. 5 TDs. </B>
    Projected Fantasy Points: 80
    Player Value: -9

16. Desmond Clark, Bears
    ESPN Positional Ranking: 22.
    Desmond Clark caught 45 passes for 626 yards and six touchdowns. Greg Olsen likely won't supplant him as the starter until 2008.
    Projected Stats: 500 receiving yards. 5 TDs. </B>
    Projected Fantasy Points: 80
    Player Value: -9

17. Owen Daniels, Texans
    ESPN Positional Ranking: 16.
    Had a pretty solid rookie campaign. Caught nine passes for 99 yards at Tennessee. Registered five receptions for 36 yards against the Jets. Only had three catches in December, however. A flash in the pan like Billy Miller? For the sake of Houston, I hope not.
    Projected Stats: 450 receiving yards. 5 TDs. </B>
    Projected Fantasy Points: 75
    Player Value: -14

18. Randy McMichael, Rams
    ESPN Positional Ranking: 12.
    Joe Klopfenstein caught 20 passes for 226 yards in St. Louis' offense last year, so Scott Linehan decided to go out and sign Randy McMichael. The former Dolphins tight end had triple whatever Klopfenstein was able to muster. Not sure what to make of McMichael; he's talented but will be playing in a brand-new system.
    Projected Stats: 550 receiving yards. 3 TDs. </B>
    Projected Fantasy Points: 73
    Player Value: -16

19. ZMiller_face.jpg Zach Miller, Raiders (Sleeper)
    ESPN Positional Ranking: 41.
    One of two offensive players on the Raiders worth drafting in a traditional league. It's hard to say what Zach Miller will do because he's only a rookie.
    Projected Stats: 550 receiving yards. 2 TDs. </B>
    Projected Fantasy Points: 67
    Player Value: -22

20. Marcus Pollard, Seahawks
    ESPN Positional Ranking: 24.
    A forgotten man in Mike Martz's offense, Marcus Pollard registered only 12 receptions in 2006 after garnering 46 for 516 yards the year before. Problem is Pollard is 35. Not sure how much he has left in the tank.
    Projected Stats: 350 receiving yards. 4 TDs. </B>
    Projected Fantasy Points: 59
    Player Value: -30

21. Ben Troupe, Titans
    ESPN Positional Ranking: 23.
    This offense is too statistically dreadful to warrant any sort of fantasy consideration. Look at other tight ends.
    Projected Stats: 350 receiving yards. 3 TDs. </B>
    Projected Fantasy Points: 53
    Player Value: -36

22. Bo Scaife, Titans
    ESPN Positional Ranking: 20.
    Not much here either from Young's other tight end.
    Projected Stats: 410 receiving yards. 2 TDs. </B>
    Projected Fantasy Points: 53
    Player Value: -36

23. Daniel Graham, Broncos (Bust)
    ESPN Positional Ranking: 14.
    Daniel Graham's a good player, but he's more a blocking tight end. His career highs include 409 yards (2003) and seven touchdowns (2004). He's changing systems, so you never know how that will effect his statistics.
    Projected Stats: 325 receiving yards. 3 TDs. </B>
    Projected Fantasy Points: 50
    Player Value: -39

24. David Martin, Dolphins
    ESPN Positional Ranking: 25.
    Way to replace Randy McMichael with a guy whose career highs are 27 receptions, 224 yards and three touchdowns.
    Projected Stats: 325 receiving yards. 3 TDs. </B>
    Projected Fantasy Points: 50
    Player Value: -39

25. CBaker_face.jpg Chris Baker, Jets
    ESPN Positional Ranking: 21.
    No fantasy value here.
    Projected Stats: 300 receiving yards. 3 TDs. </B>
    Projected Fantasy Points: 48
    Player Value: -41

flgreen,

Baker not having fantasy value is different from his role on our offense. Especially considering the fact that we drafted a "TE" in the first round.

Chris Chambers' fantasy value took a hit last year when Ginn Jr. was drafted, yet he's done wonders for San Diego's offense... his talent-level didn't improve on the west coast, his opportunity did.

moot point.

I just looked closer at the Walter's rankings... those are from before last season. A player's fantasy value is based on both talent and environment. Micheal Turner playing behind LT had less value last year than he will this year starting in Atlanta.... though not much given their OL.

Can't use outdated stats to prove points.

flgreen,

Baker not having fantasy value is different from his role on our offense. Especially considering the fact that we drafted a "TE" in the first round.

Chris Chambers' fantasy value took a hit last year when Ginn Jr. was drafted, yet he's done wonders for San Diego's offense... his talent-level didn't improve on the west coast, his opportunity did.

moot point.

What is the point? The guys an average blocker, an average receiver, with average stats. When you watch him play, there is nothing outstanding about him. He's average.

I don't hate the guy, and if he shuts up, and plays football, I'm happy to have Baker and Franks compete for the starting spot. He's just not good enough to be pulling this kind of grand stand play.

If Franks stays healthy, he's simply a better player. Problem for the Jets is, Franks has been having a hard time staying healthy. The Jets want to keep Baker as decent insurance for a Franks injury. Don't forget they have already paid Baker most of his money for this year.

I really don't think the Baker thing is really about how much he makes this year. It's about his next contract. I believe he was happy with his contract until Franks got here. Now he is faced with the task of competing with Franks for the starting role. If Franks stays healthy, and wins the job, How much is Baker going to be worth in two years as a back up 30 YO TE.

Vets minimum

What?!

I haven't seen any "pathetic excuse for a TE" descriptions on this board. I have seen a lot of "average" and "mediocre" descriptions. Which, I think is fair, for somebody that not a single other team in the NFL showed any interest in when he was a free agent.

Baker is a decent TE. Nothing more. I have no idea where he got this reputation as an excellent blocker. Yeah, he could have caught more balls if he didn't stay in to block, but so could Sean Ryan. Here are Joel Buchsbaum's negatives pre-draft 2002:

http://archive.profootballweekly.com/content/archives2001/draft_2001/scoutingreports_te.asp#TE%20Chris%20Baker

For once it is all true! Baker has done nothing to make me forget these scouting reports. He was a receiving TE coming out and needed to work on his blocking and I don't see that he has ever been any more than adequate as a blocker. Or a receiver for that matter.

That scouting report is pretty spot on. Baker has pretty good hands and can be a decent red-zone threat. He doesn't have much else though.

Archived