Favre was Overhyped - Paolantonio

drago

Overhyped: Favre didn't deliver in second half of career

Paolantonio_Sal_55.jpg By Sal Paolantonio

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: March 8, 2008

nfl_g_favre_580.jpg Scott Boehm/Getty Images

In the playoffs, Brett Favre was 3-5 with 14 touchdown passes and 16 interceptions.

We interrupt the continued deification of Brett Favre -- a first-ballot Hall of Famer and the most durable player in NFL history -- with the following reality check.

Yes, Favre played long enough to throw the most touchdown passes and collect the most wins by an NFL quarterback. But let's examine the second half of No. 4's career. The truth is, Favre did little over the past decade to earn the gushing praise heaped upon him by our fawning brethren in the media.

Best-Ever Debate

112.jpg

In his 17 seasons, Brett Favre set numerous NFL records, including most yards passing (61,655) and most touchdowns (442).

But do those numbers, combined with Favre's three MVP awards and one Super Bowl victory, put him among the top 10 quarterbacks of all time?

Recently, ESPN.com's Mike Sando and Football Outsiders' Aaron Schatz examined the best-ever debate.

I'm quite sure the excuse makers will say the packers had no talent over the last part of his career and they were lacking at WR. Funny how his receivers, runningbacks and defense got better over the last part of his career but the team never went anywhere.

I'll never forget the pack running for over 200 yards on the eagles and still losing. Thanks Brett.

Those statistics are still better than any QB on the NYJETS roster.

haha, that is true. I'd say he'd be better than either kellen or chad, without even breaking a sweat...but the legend that is Favre is quite overblown.

I don't think he's overblown at all. The last two or three years he has shown decline from what he use to be. Either from age or lose of great receivers/te's I'm not sure of. Probably a little of both. But, I agree he is better then what we have now.

That's where i just flat out disagree. I'm not sure why the packers always had this wrap for being a bad team. They have had great o and d lines for years now and receivers like javon walker, greg jennings, donald driver and Robert brooks. There were a few seasons where brett had bill schroeder and scrubs like that...but those were also the same years the packers were posting 8 and 8 or 9 and 7 records.

It was BECAUSE of favre in those years that the packers were even respectable. The packers teams from 2001 to 2003 were very talented.

and sal pal would slobber all over favre if he came to the eagles.

sal has no credibility in my book

i won't argue your taste in writers but in his defense this wasn't a very opinionated article. Most of it was based on facts and comparisons.

i won't argue your taste in writers but in his defense this wasn't a very opinionated article. Most of it was based on facts and comparisons.

to be honest i didn't read it. i'm just mad at him for the way he slants his stories, the most recent one being the Andy Reid family fiasco.

i really shouldn't have said anything but if i didn't the internet would get mad

It's hard to name 9 QBs that are greater than a guy that leads the NFL in passing yardage, TDs, most consecutive games started. I don't think you can take him out of the top 10.

The media fawning would make him overrated no matter what his stats. Even if he never lost a game in his career, I'd have to say they overrate him with the attention he got. But you can't look at that and then try and take away from his career and his place in the NFL record books.

It's hard to name 9 QBs that are greater than a guy that leads the NFL in passing yardage, TDs, most consecutive games started. I don't think you can take him out of the top 10.

The media fawning would make him overrated no matter what his stats. Even if he never lost a game in his career, I'd have to say they overrate him with the attention he got. But you can't look at that and then try and take away from his career and his place in the NFL record books.

I think he's completely overrated and I don't think he should even be in the discussion for best QB of all time, but he is definitely in the top 10. Sal Paolantonio is a **** sucker, there is no credibility to anything he writes. He probably thinks McNabb and Kevin Kolb are the top 2 QB's in the NFL, and that Manning and Brady are a distant second. This guy along with most people in the media is a ****ing idiot.

I'm quite sure the excuse makers will say the packers had no talent over the last part of his career and they were lacking at WR. Funny how his receivers, runningbacks and defense got better over the last part of his career but the team never went anywhere.

I'll never forget the pack running for over 200 yards on the eagles and still losing. Thanks Brett.

How was their defense?

I think he's completely overrated and I don't think he should even be in the discussion for best QB of all time, but he is definitely in the top 10. Sal Paolantonio is a **** sucker, there is no credibility to anything he writes. He probably thinks McNabb and Kevin Kolb are the top 2 QB's in the NFL, and that Manning and Brady are a distant second. This guy along with most people in the media is a ****ing idiot.

I would say Brett Favre can't really have a case in the "Best QB of all time" argument.. but I think there is a pretty strong argument for "Top 5 of all time"... maybe top 3.

I would say Brett Favre can't really have a case in the "Best QB of all time" argument.. but I think there is a pretty strong argument for "Top 5 of all time"... maybe top 3.

I'm glad he broke Marino's records, and won a championship on top of that. He'll always have a special place in my heart for that reason alone. :thumbup:

And I wish the Jets had somehow managed to draft him when they wanted to, instead of winding up with the next best thing: Browning Nagle.

But I don't want Brett here now, and I have to hope the powers that be feel the same.

My high school team had that same exact problem at QB. We had alot of kids who had NFL potential, but we had the worst-rated QB in the state. We lost our confidence and fell apart. He was supposedly a star who transferred to my school, but he was a bust. I'm telling you, If we want to win, we need to either try out Erik Ainge as a last resort, or somehow aquire Favre or Matt Ryan or even Colt Brennan. I was very upset when we passed on Brennan all those times.

You know Quinn might be able to be had. I hope this doesn't happen, I hope we are a good team that will at least make the playoffs. I think we have that kind of talent. But, for some reason if we don't Tebow is going to be a stud at QB. Living in Florida I've seen the guy play every weekend and he's just a beast. He's going to have to learn he can't run people over at the nfl level, but he has a great arm, good leadership skills, has dealt with winning a title and not.

Archived