When It's all said and Done,Doug Jolley will Be the Jets...

Smizzy

Breakout Player of 2005/06.

It's been along time since we had a TE who can catch and run after the catch.

He is going ot be the difference make.

Dinger is already comparing him to Whycheck...I can't wait to see this kid shine.

40 receptions, 500 yards, 4 TD's.

So #'s that are better then anything a NE TE has put up in 2 yrs is now mediocre?

Ok just checking ....Boy the Pats TE's suck huh?

So when he outproduces the entire NE TE corp will he get some credit or no?

So #'s that are better then anything a NE TE has put up in 2 yrs is now mediocre?

Ok just checking ....Boy the Pats TE's suck huh?

So when he outproduces the entire NE TE corp will he get some credit or no?

Come on Smizz, you are smarter than that.

You know the Pats utilize 3 TE's.

No way any one of them will put up big numbers.

Absolutely.

He will have a mediocre year at best.

You made a mistake, TX. I agree with Smizzy here. Jolley is going to have a huge year under Heimerdinger. I remember thinking that Jolley was going to be special when I watched him during his rookie year. For some reason, he fell out of favor in Oakland and never got a fair shake again. With Pennington's arm not at 100%, you can bet your bottom dollar that he's going to go to his safety valve (Jolley) a lot. I could see Jolley turning into a Mark Chumura type of player.

You made a mistake, TX. I agree with Smizzy here. Jolley is going to have a huge year under Heimerdinger. I remember thinking that Jolley was going to be special when I watched him during his rookie year. For some reason, he fell out of favor in Oakland and never got a fair shake again. With Pennington's arm not at 100%, you can bet your bottom dollar that he's going to go to his safety valve (Jolley) a lot. I could see Jolley turning into a Mark Chumura type of player.

See Troll, this is a typical response by the majority of Jet fans. Exactly the same wild predictions when the Jets signed Curtis Conway.

"Conway will make everyone forget Coles".

"Conway will have a breakout year with 90 receptions and 1,400 yards".

Remember all that two years ago during the offseason?

Bottom line is this: Did the Jets upgrade their TE position form a year ago? Absolutely.

Did they fill the position with a proven player who could possibly have an All-Pro year? No way in hell.

Outlandish predictions, especially with player performance, is a patented Jet fan response.

Just remember, a Pete Kendall doesn't fall out of the sky every single year.

You have to remember with Becht- teams defenses did not have to really worry about him down the field- with Jolley abilities this should provide more opportunities to make plays -the sum of the parts on offense should be greatly improved

See Troll, this is a typical response by the majority of Jet fans. Exactly the same wild predictions when the Jets signed Curtis Conway.

How often have you seen me blowing a guy simply because he's wearing green and white? If I predict someone will be successful as a Jet, it isn't because I'm just some dumb homer. It's because that player has given me reason to believe that he will.

How often have you seen me blowing a guy simply because he's wearing green and white? If I predict someone will be successful as a Jet, it isn't because I'm just some dumb homer. It's because that player has given me reason to believe that he will.

Actually Troll, you are correct. Your posts are pretty level-headed.

For that, my apologies.

Again, I think Jolley is a very nice upgrade to the TE position but hardly the type of player who will have a huge, "break-out" type year.

Actually Troll, you are correct. Your posts are pretty level-headed.

For that, my apologies.

Again, I think Jolley is a very nice upgrade to the TE position but hardly the type of player who will have a huge, "break-out" type year.

Tx, the fact that you are conveniently tip-toeing around is that NO ONE has said Jolley will put up pro bowl numbers.

40 receptions, 500 yards, 4 TD's.

That's a pretty solid year for a tight end not named Gonzalez or Gates, and especially for a Jets TE.

Here are Becht's stats from last year:

13 catches, 100 yards, 1 TD.

So yeah I would take 40-500-4 in a heartbeat.

With Baker and Jolley in the lineup- opponents will actually have to account for these guys down the field- it should open up more opportunities for all in the offense-Becht is in Tampa thank you

And this is no doubt based on hours and hours of research and watching his games?

How about this, neither Ben Watson or Daniel Graham are anything special.

No, it's based on the fact that a very pass-oriented team let him walk away. If he was anything special, he'd still be a Raider.

Both Watson and Graham are much better TE's then the 3-rd string Jolley.

Not even close.

No, it's based on the fact that a very pass-oriented team let him walk away. If he was anything special, he'd still be a Raider.

Not even close.

Graham can't catch, and the book is still out on Watson

If he can make it through training camp, he may approach Jolleys numbers

Be real Tex...I remember you talking Pro-Bowl, and Bethel Johnson in the same sentence

SO when you speak of downplaying Jolley, it's all taken with a chunk of salt :roll:

Not even close.

Well, this forthcoming season will be the real test. I'd be willing to put Jolly's production up against either Graham or Watson. And the one-to-one comparo should be legit, since I fully expect Dingerto use both Jolly and Baker in, at minimum, a 2-TE rotation.

In any event, it will be interesting to see how Jolly does in NY. I have hope, and a 50/500/5 season would be mana from heaven given our recent past, but I'll still be happy with more moderate expectations (like 35/350/5).

Not even close.

BS. He was clearly underused in Oakland for whatever reason, probably because Norv Turner is a sh!tty coach. Watson has made all of 2 receptions in his career and you're trying to make an argument that he's better than Jolley? You truly are a joke Tx. And Graham's best year is about the same thing as Jolley's best year, and he was completely underused by Oakland. The Jets are definitely going to use him plenty and Dinger is going to help him become a good receiving TE.

Graham can't catch, and the book is still out on Watson

If he can make it through training camp, he may approach Jolleys numbers

Be real Tex...I remember you talking Pro-Bowl, and Bethel Johnson in the same sentence

SO when you speak of downplaying Jolley, it's all taken with a chunk of salt :roll:

Come on JonE, sure, I would never call Graham "sure-handed" but he drastically improved in that are last year over the previous season.

Bethel Johnson??? I never mentioned Pro Bowl in the same sentence as him. What I did say last season, was he could have a breakout, emerging seasons. Because he was injured and/or in BB doghouse, that never materialized, although he did show slight glimpses in a few games.

And I'll say it again, Jolley is a nice upgrade over Betch.

Lets see how much CuMar misses Betch when the Jets run that little off-tackle toss where the TE is responsible for a huge crackdown block. Blocking is not one of Jolley's stronger suits. :wink:

Come on JonE, sure, I would never call Graham "sure-handed" but he drastically improved in that are last year over the previous season.

Bethel Johnson??? I never mentioned Pro Bowl in the same sentence as him. What I did say last season, was he could have a breakout, emerging seasons. Because he was injured and/or in BB doghouse, that never materialized, although he did show slight glimpses in a few games.

And I'll say it again, Jolley is a nice upgrade over Betch.

Lets see how much CuMar misses Betch when the Jets run that little off-tackle toss where the TE is responsible for a huge crackdown block. Blocking is not one of Jolley's stronger suits. :wink:

The NFL is give and take

Last year we had Curtis at 1697, and Becht at 100

for arguements sake lets say Curtis will miss Becht, and he drops to a 1400 yard rusher

1400 plus Jollys 500 gives us 100 more yards net season

I'll take it, since we know football is a game of inches

Archived