New Stadiums, new racket

Garb

I was speaking to Brenda the other day - she was describing the parking lot scene at the meadowlands for the Springsteen Concert. Something about a huge parking garage and some development called Xanadu? - complete with shops, restaurants, etc. Then, just last evening, as I was watching a nightly Pats TC show, they had a segment on Patriot Place. A complex directly behind (and connected?) to Gillette Stadium. Shops, Restaurants, Hotels, movie theater and Pats Museum. The persn interviewed said something about the opportunity to change the football experience instead of the traditional tailgating. They want to provide options and family fun. What a crock of pooh-pooh. Seems to me that the real goal here is to significantly curtail tailgating, forcing consumers to drink, eat and shop at their eateries, retailers and venues of choice.

The Xanadu and Parkage Garage garbage is by the Continental Airlines Arena, or Izod Arena, whatever that is now, so that is across the highway from Giants Stadium / The New Meadowlands Stadium. Most people park by the stadium, not over there, so that won't be affected like the Patriots Parking Lots are being affected by that monsterous place being built basically right next to the stadium. Thankfully, the garbage going up is not anywhere near the stadium.

The Xanadu and Parkage Garage garbage is by the Continental Airlines Arena, or Izod Arena, whatever that is now, so that is across the highway from Giants Stadium / The New Meadowlands Stadium. Most people park by the stadium, not over there, so that won't be affected like the Patriots Parking Lots are being affected by that monsterous place being built basically right next to the stadium. Thankfully, the garbage going up is not anywhere near the stadium.

My bad. Well, not really. Brenda bad! :D

I can't wait to go to my first Pats game this year - traffic should be even more hellish than the hell it was before.

I was speaking to Brenda the other day - she was describing the parking lot scene at the meadowlands for the Springsteen Concert. Something about a huge parking garage and some development called Xanadu? - complete with shops, restaurants, etc. Then, just last evening, as I was watching a nightly Pats TC show, they had a segment on Patriot Place. A complex directly behind (and connected?) to Gillette Stadium. Shops, Restaurants, Hotels, movie theater and Pats Museum. The persn interviewed said something about the opportunity to change the football experience instead of the traditional tailgating. They want to provide options and family fun. What a crock of pooh-pooh. Seems to me that the real goal here is to significantly curtail tailgating, forcing consumers to drink, eat and shop at their eateries, retailers and venues of choice.

Garb. Garb. Garb. The whole sports experience is about squeezing every last penny out of the fans and selling it as a great gameday experience. Between PSL's, high ticket and parking prices, the $9 beers in the stadium and now the whole reaturant and entertainment complex approach, you will have to plan a family gameday experience in the same manner that you plan a vacation. It is only a matter of time before tailgate parties are outlawed because the siphon off too much cash from the retailers around an in the stadium. You are not allowed to drink in the parking lot at Shea Stadium (and I assume Yankee Stadium) but walk 100 yards into the stadium and you can drink until you go blind. The problem is that what is being rammed down everones throat as a "gameday experience" overlooks the fact that most fans just want to watch a football game and down a few beers and burgers with their friends.

My bad. Well, not really. Brenda bad! :D

I can't wait to go to my first Pats game this year - traffic should be even more hellish than the hell it was before.

Brenda confuses a lot of things, but she means well. :)

Are you going to the Jets-Pats game this year? Either way I'll see you at the Meadowlands in six and a half weeks.

Brenda confuses a lot of things, but she means well. :)

Are you going to the Jets-Pats game this year? Either way I'll see you at the Meadowlands in six and a half weeks.

I already have my ticket for the Pats/Jets match-up at Gillette. Yes, you will see me there...unless it's 20 below with sleet, freezing rain, howling wind and snow. I love my Pats - I've seen them in those kind of conditions too - even when they sucked - but you know something? Those days are over for me. When the weather outside is frightful, I prefer to watch from the comforts of my warm home. Unless it's a big playoff game. Then I'll suck it up - and layer up.

Now, if only I can find a decent ticket for the match-up at the Meadowlands......

it's funny how red blooded Americans turn into Marx spouting commies when it comes to new stadiums

this is America it's not illegal to make a buck... i personally don't care if the burger im eating came to the parking lot as ground chuck from the supermarket the night before or some overcharging restaurant

all I care about is the football. the tailgate is side show.

I already have my ticket for the Pats/Jets match-up at Gillette. Yes, you will see me there...unless it's 20 below with sleet, freezing rain, howling wind and snow. I love my Pats - I've seen them in those kind of conditions too - even when they sucked - but you know something? Those days are over for me. When the weather outside is frightful, I prefer to watch from the comforts of my warm home. Unless it's a big playoff game. Then I'll suck it up - and layer up.

Now, if only I can find a decent ticket for the match-up at the Meadowlands......

The Xanudu idea is for non game days to drive people and traffic for family fun- supposedly.

I hear you Garb..except down here it is the extreme heat ALL THE TIME...thinking about skipping the actual game here this yerar and watching at Packys with the AC blaring and the beer cold and much less expensive

it's funny how red blooded Americans turn into Marx spouting commies when it comes to new stadiums

this is America it's not illegal to make a buck... i personally don't care if the burger im eating came to the parking lot as ground chuck from the supermarket the night before or some overcharging restaurant

And : This Is "AMERICA" and it`s not illeagal to complain about it either.If anyone on hear seeems MARX LIKE it would be you Bitonti...cause anytime someone has something to say about WOODY & his Greedy Greenies ,you jump in and try to get them to shut right up!!!!

I thought you are my date.....hahahahah DONT GIVE ME THE ol' TEXT boot

And : This Is "AMERICA" and it`s not illeagal to complain about it either.If anyone on hear seeems MARX LIKE it would be you Bitonti...cause anytime someone has something to say about WOODY & his Greedy Greenies ,you jump in and try to get them to shut right up!!!!

maybe the state should sieze all of Woody's assets and redistribute them because he's too rich.

I agree that he has a right to make money as do all businesses, but I think people do not mind paying more for something they enjoy when the product/experience improves. Explain how a new stadium, psl's, bad restaurant food improves the experience for the majority of fans. According to you the stadium is falling apart, I think the majority of fans would disagree.

According to you the stadium is falling apart, I think the majority of fans would disagree.

compared to every other major NFL stadium it is crap. maybe the majority of fans don't watch games in other buildings. but Giants' Stadium time has come and gone. "falling apart" is hyperbole but really it wouldn't last much longer, maybe 5 years? Eventually a long term plan was needed, NYG realized this, when the NYJ were pursuing WSS, they were pursuing a 300 million dollar renovation, with PSLs!

This new stadium business is about one thing....money. Giants Stadium is a very good place to watch a game...new or old. I have been to new stadiums to watch football, the experience is no different. Its absolutely ridiculous that they built the new stadium, they certainly could have upgraded certain features and it would have been good for another 20 years. I can live without more luxury boxes and restaurants which is why they built the place.

The lots that used to be by "Xanadu" were always full. They replaced them with a parking garage where it is illegal to tailgate.

When Jets fans show up, the lots were always full on both sides. So the beautiful indoor ski slope has affected parking. If it wasnt for this and the new stadium, we wouldnt need to prepay for parking passes.

Xanadu was happening whether or not the stadium thing went down.

By 2012, there is going to be an ancellary location just like what they are building in Foxboro...

17stadium184.jpg

• The endzone seating area closest to gates A & D will remain intact & will be re-designed into the new NEW JERSEY SPORTS MUSEUM
  • New Restaurants and 2 new strip malls catering to tailgating will be built on what remains of the space once GIANTS STADIUM is demolished (as pictured above)
  • Tailgating will only be allowed in designated "Tailgate Zones" much like those at Houston's Reliant Stadium.

So though I hate to say this but - Garb is right...

Garb. Garb. Garb. The whole sports experience is about squeezing every last penny out of the fans and selling it as a great gameday experience. Between PSL's, high ticket and parking prices, the $9 beers in the stadium and now the whole reaturant and entertainment complex approach, you will have to plan a family gameday experience in the same manner that you plan a vacation. It is only a matter of time before tailgate parties are outlawed because the siphon off too much cash from the retailers around an in the stadium. You are not allowed to drink in the parking lot at Shea Stadium (and I assume Yankee Stadium) but walk 100 yards into the stadium and you can drink until you go blind. The problem is that what is being rammed down everones throat as a "gameday experience" overlooks the fact that most fans just want to watch a football game and down a few beers and burgers with their friends.

Roger Goodell said he compares going to an NFL game to an evening at a play with the family (price wise) the difference is you don't go to see 8 plays in a 3-4 month span! Let alone 8 plays in a lifetime!!

Archived