Randy Lange on Bryan Thomas

flgreen

Thomas has a chip on his shoulder for sure. He is out to prove that he is going to be just as good, if not better, than his 2006 self for the rest of his career. He learned from his mistakes.

As for Barton, when I went on the first day flgreen, he was in tip top shape and I can honestly say he could step out there and play a Super Bowl right now and be ready to play every single down. Guy looked great and also picked off a Kellen pass while I was there, infact it was Kellen's first of Training Camp.

I believe this defense is going to surprise a ton of people (not including Jets Fans)

they have speed, depth, and pass rushing.

I know a lot of people hate that bryan thomas admitted he slacked off, but i loved that he did that. there is no way he will fail this year, because all the coaches will have there eyes on him, making sure to push him. his teammates will do the same.

this was a brilliant move by bryan to make sure he won't have another failure of a season.

the fact that he was the first guy to cover dustin keller in practice shows he's had a change of motivation. way to go Bryan Thomas!

Pennington had a Hail Mary pass reach the end zone?

great day of practice!

They forgot that the line of scrimmage was the 30 and he dropped back to the 40 and sprinted full speed ahead to the 30 and a half yardline before putting all of his strength behind it.

Thomas has a chip on his shoulder for sure. He is out to prove that he is going to be just as good, if not better, than his 2006 self for the rest of his career. He learned from his mistakes.

As for Barton, when I went on the first day flgreen, he was in tip top shape and I can honestly say he could step out there and play a Super Bowl right now and be ready to play every single down. Guy looked great and also picked off a Kellen pass while I was there, infact it was Kellen's first of Training Camp.

If Thomas and Barton surprise, and continue playing at this level, and Gholson and Pace are as advertised, this will be one good LB'er group

They forgot that the line of scrimmage was the 30 and he dropped back to the 40 and sprinted full speed ahead to the 30 and a half yardline before putting all of his strength behind it.

Apparently (from a TC report I read on JI) the LOS was the 45 yard line and both Pennington and KC we stepping into their throw at the 50 yard line.

He said Chads pass landed in the end zone. Clemens' landed at the 2 yard line.

It was actually in the Erik Boland TC report where I read it:

Day 6: the afternoon practice

This quarterback race is starting to remind me of some of the classes from my high school and college days; maybe from some of yours, too. You know, those classes where you maybe didn’t quite have a handle on the material for the first, second and third tests, tanked the mid-term and then really, really had to cram for that final to get some kind of grade.

Kellen Clemens needs to get to the final (s) - meaning games - and he needs them quickly because after this evening’s practice this quarterback derby is starting to get away from him. He threw another interception, telegraphing a pass to Wallace Wright about 15 yards down the sideline that Darrelle Revis read from the start and easily picked. That makes it five interceptions for Clemens and zero for Pennington. Now, there was a sixth interception and there’s some debate on whether to count it. Because the quarterbacks are to finish each play out, Clemens, after being “sacked,” tossed a ball up for grabs in the back of the end zone that Eric Barton (E.B., again?!?) intercepted. Let’s keep it at 5-0 in interceptions because in a game situation, he would have not had a chance to throw the ball anyway. Besides, 5-0, 6-0, whatever; doesn’t matter at this point. Clemens is behind. Is this over? No, because some guys are just better in practice and these still aren’t “game” situations. But I would say the Cleveland game can’t get here soon enough for K.C.

* The evening was a “review” of previous things covered which meant mainly situations; two-minute, goal line, Hail Marys, etc. During the Hail Marys, neither Pennington or Clemens threw a touchdown, though with eight DB’s back, you’d have a better chance of hearing “Keith Olbermann” and “criticized Barack Obama tonight” in the same sentence (we don’t do PC here and I’m a registered Indy, so whatever) than a touchdown getting thrown.

* Anyway, James Ihedigbo knocked down a couple of the Hail Marys, but the one thing that stood out from that drill was that when the quarterbacks lined up at the 45 – meaning they let loose from the 50 – Pennington’s toss reached the end zone. Clemens’ pass came down at the 2. Does Clemens still have the stronger arm? Yes. I’m just reporting. I’ll also report this: Pennington’s best play was a 20-yard touch pass down the left sideline that Brad Smith made a great grab of over Drew Coleman, whose coverage was fine. As I furiously wrote down that sequence, Jets PR person Jared Winley gently let me know the official on the far side of the field ruled Smith to be out of bounds. Striving for accuracy as we do, Winley’s contribution is appreciated.

* An entertaining part of the practice – oh, heck, it’s all entertaining of course – was when the Jets worked on their version of Cal-Stanford. If you don’t get the reference, Google it. Just add the word “laterals” and then don’t ever come back to this blog. We jest, of course.

So the situation was the offense was down 31-28 with eight seconds left and the ball at its 32. And so it was a Clemens handoff to Leon Washington who tossed to Jerricho Cotchery who tossed to Wallace Wright and back to Washington and, hey! there’s Clemens with it, and, whoaaaa, Bryan Thomas knocks down Clemens’ cross-field – but legal lateral – throw but doesn’t cover it up so the ball is still free and…

I lost track at that point, but seven more laterals ensued as the ball got just inside the 20 with the madness finally stopped when Thomas fell on the loose ball at the 35 or so. When Pennington’s group tried it, there were just five laterals before the ball hit the ground where Cameron Worrell recovered.

* Speaking of Bryan Thomas, he became one of the first defenders to successfully cover Dustin Keller this camp. In an 11-on-11 drill, Keller looked to come open in the seam but Thomas, dropping back in coverage, stayed within reach of the increasingly-looking fleet-footed tight end and poked the ball away at the last moment. Nothing wrong with Clemens’ pass there, just a nice play by Thomas.

* Tight end Jason Pociask has quietly had a good camp. I can’t remember him dropping many and his juggling end zone catch tonight of a Brett Ratliff pass was particularly good. Tight end A.J. Schable did not have a solid evening, dropping a pass early in practice, then false-starting later to earn a penalty lap.

* Laveranues Coles spent the evening practice on an exercise bicycle. He did practice in the morning so I don’t imagine there’s an issue there. We’ll see tomorrow. Also worth checking on is David Harris, who missed both workouts, but was on the sideline and spent some time on the bike, too. D’Brickashaw Ferguson got to sit out this morning’s practice as a reward for his offseason accomplishments in the weight room but he was back this evening. Someone earlier asked about Coles; good camp so far. I’ve probably not mentioned him as much as I should but I supposed I’ve tried to focus on some of the lesser-proven receivers. Coles has made several one-handed catches and he did the same things in the OTAs and minicamp. I really believe Coles and Cotchery combo is going to be a dangerous one. And Brad Smith is back in the picture as the No. 3 guy, but Stuckey is still ahead I’d say. At least that's what I told Mangini when he asked me (it's late, ok?)

* A couple of nice bursts out of Jesse Chatman, particularly during an under two-minute situation when the offense led 16-7 and was in “protect” mode. On third down, Chatman blew through a hole on the left side and went for about 30 yards. An aside to loyal blog poster Bryan, Tony Richardson will help this running game immensely I think. Totally selfless and happy to be a lead blocker.

* Finally (yes, we’re definitely in rambling mode here), Dmb asked about Bill Callahan’s influence on the offensive line. We have not yet talked to Callahan – we will get access at some point this preseason – but based on something Alan Faneca said today, dmb, I think it’s more tweak than outright change in terms of blocking schemes.

“He’s a great technician,” Faneca said. “He does a great job of not only coaching the big picture, but the little things. Sometimes, even a guy like myself, an 11-year vet, may not have thought about in a while and may not have been doing – a hand placement or a foot placement. He’s very wise in the game.”

Speaking of wise, this was a long post for a “specialty” practice, and it would be wise to end it now. Just one practice tomorrow, at 1:30 p.m. I also forgot to mention earlier today that Newsday’s NFL columnist Bob Glauber was in Hempstead this morning and I am sure that produced something fascinating for tomorrow’s paper. Check it out on in the paper or on newsday.com, or I’ll provide a link to it here tomorrow if I like it.

I mentioned to Bob today that I thought it was nice, him acknowledging a second football team in New York. Ever hear crickets after saying something you think is funny? Get it all the time. Got it from Bob there.

Time to hit the lights at Hofstra.

here's my question why are they having him kick from that far, are they that confident in his 40 and in kicks, that they are trying to enhance his capabilities? if so way to go Nuge

You try and practice ANY, again, ANY game situation that you may be in.

It is also good practice for the special teams DEFENSING that field goal-so that they know the rules of return and when and when not to touch the ball.

Mangini is big in prepping for ANY situation. Herm (who?) kind of flew by the seat of his pants.

Archived